PDA

View Full Version : Steven Bench to start for USF against Miami...

engie
09-27-2013, 10:53 AM
getting his first career start.

John O'Korn was also a day 1 starter for Houston and has been decent-to-good...

Of course, each of these guys would have been seeing playing time at MSU as well...

bocfarm
09-27-2013, 11:03 AM
I'm taking Miami...big!

CJDAWG85
09-27-2013, 11:08 AM
USF is a bad team... I mean worse than Croom bad...

Irondawg
09-27-2013, 11:45 AM
I'd have to watch O'Korn but it's hard to complain with the way Williams has looked thus far in limited action. He looks better than any 3rd stringer we've had in recent memory.

ShotgunDawg
09-27-2013, 12:11 PM
I'd have to watch O'Korn but it's hard to complain with the way Williams has looked thus far in limited action. He looks better than any 3rd stringer we've had in recent memory.

This is the key. The golden rule of talent evaluation is that it doesn't really matter who you miss on unless the guy you got isn't of comparable talent. I would have loved to have O'Korn or Bench, but the truth is that Williams is pretty good, and I doubt those two guys are really any better. Williams has to be the most talented 2 star QB I've seen. If fact, I'll go as far to say that I don't think Cord would have been much or any better than Williams. Cord had the name and accolades, but when comparing tools: Cord has better running ability, but Williams running ability is pretty good and his body allows him to fall forward. However, while Cord possesses a below average arm, but showed the ability to make plays, Williams has above average strength and can really spin the football. Williams is a better passer than Cord and I'm not sure its really debatable.

Because we acquired a comparable talent, it doesn't bother me that we lost those guys.

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-27-2013, 12:26 PM
O'Korn hurt to lose out on. Wasn't really upset about losing out on Bench though. USF is turrible.

Goat Holder
09-27-2013, 12:51 PM
If fact, I'll go as far to say that I don't think Cord would have been much or any better than Williams. Cord had the name and accolades, but when comparing tools: Cord has better running ability, but Williams running ability is pretty good and his body allows him to fall forward. However, while Cord possesses a below average arm, but showed the ability to make plays, Williams has above average strength and can really spin the football. Williams is a better passer than Cord and I'm not sure its really debatable.

Put down the blue glass, fool.

ShotgunDawg
09-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Put down the blue glass, fool.

What part don't you agree with?

Political Hack
09-27-2013, 01:54 PM
O'Korn has huge upside. Missing on him sucked. I liked him more than Cord.

Goat Holder
09-27-2013, 02:44 PM
The part I quoted.

ShotgunDawg
09-27-2013, 02:49 PM

I liked O'Korn more than Cord as well. I'm just saying that Williams turned out to be much better than what we thought he would be, and since we have Dak for the end two years, and Staley and Fitzgerald coming in, I think the QB is about as good right now as we could have hoped for. Better than what the Bears got.

SnakePlissken
09-27-2013, 03:04 PM
I liked O'Korn more than Cord as well. I'm just saying that Williams turned out to be much better than what we thought he would be, and since we have Dak for the end two years, and Staley and Fitzgerald coming in, I think the QB is about as good right now as we could have hoped for. Better than what the Bears got.We'll never know if O'Korn or Williams was the better QB for State but I agree 100% that Williams seems like another one of those 2/3 stars who was actually better than those folks (recruiting "experts") saw or thought in their evaluations of him. I'm not saying he'll ever be all-SEC or a starter but I really like what I've seen from an 18 year true freshmen so far.

smootness
09-27-2013, 03:21 PM
I'm not saying he'll ever be all-SEC or a starter but I really like what I've seen from an 18 year true freshmen so far.

All I know is that we wouldn't be totally and completely screwed if it came to relying on Williams to start. He can at least run the offense and make some plays here and there. For a true freshman, that ain't bad.

MaroonState
09-28-2013, 12:20 AM

Amen hack! We screwed the pooch waiting on that other qb to choose utenn. Felt that whole time we should have gone balls to the wall at O'Korn. O well. Williams has been a nice surprise though.