PDA

View Full Version : Michael Brooks 2020 baseball prospect commits to MSU

Todd4State
11-13-2017, 09:52 PM
Cann does it again! Brooks is a 2020 SS prospect that was selected to Team USA from Florida. If he makes it to MSU he is a legit SS prospect.

I'm liking the Cannizaro effect- we're starting off our 2020 class strong and we're going to keep stacking top five classes on top of each other.

Randolph Dupree
11-13-2017, 09:58 PM
Earlier today I was talking to a friend of mine that’s an MLB scout. He knows Cann from their MLB time and the scouting circuit. He gave Cann high praise. Basically said this may not be our year but next year would be strong and then to watch out after that.

Homedawg
11-13-2017, 10:33 PM
Earlier today I was talking to a friend of mine that’s an MLB scout. He knows Cann from their MLB time and the scouting circuit. He gave Cann high praise. Basically said this may not be our year but next year would be strong and then to watch out after that.

Exactly. Just need some patience from fans. This club isn't a contender but we will compete, I know that.

Homedawg
11-13-2017, 10:35 PM
Cann does it again! Brooks is a 2020 SS prospect that was selected to Team USA from Florida. If he makes it to MSU he is a legit SS prospect.

I'm liking the Cannizaro effect- we're starting off our 2020 class strong and we're going to keep stacking top five classes on top of each other.

The fact we can get them to commit is strong. We will lose a ton to the draft every year the way we are doing it but we will get enough to come in that it won't matter. Legit contender every year that's going to happen!

Todd4State
11-13-2017, 10:41 PM

I concur with the scout that you were talking to. Cann gets a pass from me this season becasue of the stadium construction and the schedule that we have to have because of that. We're going to be on the road a little more than usual and that could result in a few more losses than we typically see. We did schedule a couple more SWAC teams so that may offset that somewhat. Cann would have gotten a pass from me last year with a bad season as well- since we made a SR it wasn't needed obviously.

Even though I'm giving him a pass we have some upperclassmen who are juniors and seniors and it wouldn't shock me at all if we get to a SR again if not Omaha. Especially since it sounds like Ethan Small has emerged in the scrimmages and could lock down a weekend spot which is a pleasant surprise. That will allow us to use Billingsley- a fifth year senior who has pitched in SEC games with success and won a huge game in a regional against USM- as the midweek guy. That's a huge luxury. MacNamee, Stovall, LA, Mangum, Vansau, and Poole have a lot of SEC experience as well. And then France was Tulane's ace and I think he will be a weekend guy. Add in Cole Gordon, Spencer Price, and Blake Smith and we have a solid staff. Self had shoulder surgery recently but he should be back by the start of the season. Hopefully with more depth we can cut back on his load.

Commercecomet24
11-13-2017, 10:43 PM
The fact we can get them to commit is strong. We will lose a ton to the draft every year the way we are doing it but we will get enough to come in that it won't matter. Legit contender every year that's going to happen!

Exactly! Law of averages comes into play. You may not get all of them but you?re going to get some of them and if you do that every year, you wind up with an elite team year after year!

Todd4State
11-13-2017, 10:46 PM

Yep. People wonder how Vanderbilt does it- part of it is they get them to commit first. The thing that fans don't notice is the ones that Vanderbilt loses to the draft because they see the ones that they get to school. We've already seen the start of that a little bit with Jordan Anderson.

If our current class that just signed is any indication- it's going to be a good balance of high end guys who are draft risks, a few guys that are really good players that will likely go to college like Tanner Allen, a few guys that are raw with a high upside, and a few Cody Brown types that are going to be hard nosed guys. With a few JUCO's to fill out the role positions in the bullpen and at DH with one or two that are high end guys.

Todd4State
11-13-2017, 10:54 PM
Exactly! Law of averages comes into play. You may not get all of them but you?re going to get some of them and if you do that every year, you wind up with an elite team year after year!

The way I see it when it comes to recruiting there are basically 11-12 primary positions. The 8 traditional positions in the field plus the three weekend starters plus maybe the closer. If we sign 4-6 high end draft risks and are fortunate enough to get 2-3 of those into school you can fill your primary positions with around 6-9 elite players depending on your good fortune. The other 3-6 you can fill with guys that are good college players or upperclass veteran players. We can fill the DH and bullpen spots with guys like Trey Porter and Caleb Reed and be in great shape especially when those guys are surrounded by elite talent.

To be honest you could probably fill the closer spot with a role guy most of the time but I'm a little biased since that is my favorite position on the team.

The biggest difference between us and Vanderbilt is I don't think we're going to be a hard core small ball team like them. I think we'll end up looking a lot more like LSU than anyone else to be honest with you.

messageboardsuperhero
11-13-2017, 10:55 PM
The 2018 class is currently ranked #2, the 2019 class is currently ranked #4, and the 2020 class is top 5 in terms of average player ranking, top 10 overall and continues to climb as we begin to amass as many commits as the teams in front of us. None of those rankings even factor in JUCO players, which we have recruited better than anyone lately. Combine that with a new stadium and what we saw Cannizaro do last year with a depleted roster... Exciting times ahead.

Todd4State
11-13-2017, 10:58 PM
The 2018 class is currently ranked #2, the 2019 class is currently ranked #4, and the 2020 class is top 5 in terms of average player ranking, top 10 overall and continues to climb as we begin to amass as many commits as the teams in front of us. None of those rankings even factor in JUCO players, which we have recruited better than anyone lately. Combine that with a new stadium and what we saw Cannizaro do last year with a depleted roster... Exciting times ahead.

And if I'm not mistaken Vanderbilt who is ahead of us in the 2018 rankings doesn't take very many if any JUCO guys.

Commercecomet24
11-13-2017, 11:12 PM
The way I see it when it comes to recruiting there are basically 11-12 primary positions. The 8 traditional positions in the field plus the three weekend starters plus maybe the closer. If we sign 4-6 high end draft risks and are fortunate enough to get 2-3 of those into school you can fill your primary positions with around 6-9 elite players depending on your good fortune. The other 3-6 you can fill with guys that are good college players or upperclass veteran players. We can fill the DH and bullpen spots with guys like Trey Porter and Caleb Reed and be in great shape especially when those guys are surrounded by elite talent.

To be honest you could probably fill the closer spot with a role guy most of the time but I'm a little biased since that is my favorite position on the team.

The biggest difference between us and Vanderbilt is I don't think we're going to be a hard core small ball team like them. I think we'll end up looking a lot more like LSU than anyone else to be honest with you.

Agree on all points, especially about us being more like lsu than vandy.

State82
11-14-2017, 12:01 AM
I think we'll end up looking a lot more like LSU than anyone else to be honest with you.

And is there anyone else in college baseball that you would rather look like than LSU? Nope.