PDA

View Full Version : Is Media Slowly Starting to Figure Out How Good Mullen Has it at MSU?

ShotgunDawg
11-13-2017, 04:51 PM
Listening to ignorant Feldman right now on Finebaum, &, while he is still spouting the ridiculous narrative that MSU is toughest place to win the SEC West, even he just acknowledged that Mullen is in a really good spot at MSU & Tennessee may not be a good enough job to leave MSU for.

Yesterday, a national writer wrote an article about the conundrum of Dan Mullen, which is Tennessee may be a slightly better job than MSU but Dan has a top 10 caliber team returning next season & why would someone leave a chance to win the SEC for a job that is a rebuild that may eventually give him a better chance of winning the SEC?

Peter Burns tweeted this today
https://i.imgur.com/y7UU1PK.jpg

I realize there is a lot of noise right now & most of the people making the noise don't realize the advantages of the MSU job & have probably not been to Starkville in 10+ years.

I realize it is small, but it appears like there has been a slight change in the wind today. Like perhaps people are starting to realize that MSU is damn good college football job that can compete at the highest of levels & then asking why would someone leave that for a rebuild & the pressure at Tennessee or Florida?

Interesting

Political Hack
11-13-2017, 04:55 PM
Other people finally realizing what Megan knew 10 years ago.

Commercecomet24
11-13-2017, 04:59 PM
The way I see it a rich tradition has to start somewhere. Florida State before Bowden was playing before sparse crowds and thinking about going division 2. BYU had never won a single conference championship and had similar mediocre history as ours before Lavelle Edwards. Virginia Tech was a zero before Beamer. Alabama wasn't Alabama before Bear. The list goes on and on. The blue bloods didn't become blue bloods over night. Heck 100 years ago the best football was being played in the Ivy league and northeast for heavens sake. A tradition of winning has to start at some point and I believe we are witnessing the birth of ours. 25 years from now my grandchildren may only know MSU as another football powerhouse(my dream and hope). We have the chance to get it done. We are on the cusp of greatness.

ETA: When Dan first took the job I thought it would take about 7-10 years to build a really elite program(if we were ever gonna build one) based on history and the state of the program when he took over. Now here we are 9 years later, 8 straight bowls, averagin 8 wins a year and even better on the horizon. Build it from the ground up and no shortcuts, solid foundation and this is what can happen.

TrapGame
11-13-2017, 05:01 PM
I noticed Bo Bounds changed his tune this morning too.

Seems a new narrative is emerging in the college football spectrum.

Commercecomet24
11-13-2017, 05:03 PM
Listening to ignorant Feldman right now on Finebaum, &, while he is still spouting the ridiculous narrative that MSU is toughest place to win the SEC West, even he just acknowledged that Mullen is in a really good spot at MSU & Tennessee may not be a good enough job to leave MSU for.

Yesterday, a national writer wrote an article about the conundrum of Dan Mullen, which is Tennessee may be a slightly better job than MSU but Dan has a top 10 caliber team returning next season & why would someone leave a chance to win the SEC for a job that is a rebuild that may eventually give him a better chance of winning the SEC?

I realize there is a lot of noise right now & most of the people making the noise don't realize the advantages of the MSU job & have probably not been to Starkville in 10+ years.

I realize it is small, but it appears like there has been a slight change in the wind today. Like perhaps people are starting to realize that MSU is damn good college football job that can compete at the highest of levels & then asking why would someone leave that for a rebuild & the pressure at Tennessee or Florida?

Interesting

Thanks for posting this, Shotgun.

Bothrops
11-13-2017, 05:11 PM
Arkansas is the toughest place to win in the West, and our weight room is one of the nicest around.

ShotgunDawg
11-13-2017, 05:11 PM
I noticed Bo Bounds changed his tune this morning too.

Seems a new narrative is emerging in the college football spectrum.

Yeah he did.

Although we lost Saturday night, it feels like a lot of respect & recognition about what the program is & where it is heading was realized.

TrapGame
11-13-2017, 05:12 PM
ETA: When Dan first took the job I thought it would take about 7-10 years to build a really elite program(if we were ever gonna build one) based on history and the state of the program when he took over. Now here we are 9 years later, 8 straight bowls, averagin 8 wins a year and even better on the horizon. Build it from the ground up and no shortcuts, solid foundation and this is what can happen.

That reminds me. Didn't someone on here post a couple of years ago that someone told them Dan told Keenum in his initial interview that it would take him ten years to build this program to legitimately compete for the West on a yearly basis?

I could have sworn I read that on here.

ShotgunDawg
11-13-2017, 05:15 PM
Arkansas is the toughest place to win in the West, and our weight room is one of the nicest around.

With Texas A&M going to the SEC, Missouri going to the SEC, & TCU going to the Big 12, Arkansas' recruiting base has been decimated. It is easily the hardest place in the SEC West to win. Arkansas has to go to Dallas, KC, Tulsa, etc to get players. Within the area size of that triangle, MSU recruits it's entire roster.

Since 1990 Ole Miss has been a harder place to win at than MSU as well.

For whatever reason, the media still leans on historical records & not records over the past decade or 20 years. At what point does our success become our history?

TrapGame
11-13-2017, 05:18 PM
With Texas A&M going to the SEC, Missouri going to the SEC, & TCU going to the Big 12, Arkansas' recruiting base has been decimated. It is easily the hardest place in the SEC West to win. Arkansas has to go to Dallas, KC, Tulsa, etc to get players. Within that triangle, MSU recruits it's entire roster.

For whatever reason, the media still leans on historical records & not records over the past decade or 20 years. At what point does our success become our history?

Dan has been here going nine years. We will go to our 8th bowl game and perhaps finish 9-3. At what point does the sports media start realizing you can win at State?

Todd4State
11-13-2017, 05:19 PM
Yeah he did.

Although we lost Saturday night, it feels like a lot of respect & recognition about what the program is & where it is heading was realized.

That's because Alabama is the measuring stick. And that's one reason why Ole Miss got a lot of pub when they beat them two years in a row. And even though we didn't beat them as you said we earned a lot of respect. You have to beat Alabama or apparently come pretty close to it- to get attention from the national media. I expect us to continue to start to see the narrative change- especially if we finish this year off well.

I think the 2014 season the perception was more that it was the Dak show and that's why we did what we did. Even though that's not the reality. Dan doing what he is now with the talent he has on campus plus what he's bringing in means we aren't a "generational player" program.

Todd4State
11-13-2017, 05:24 PM

I think Ole Miss is personally. You basically have to cheat and follow their Network or you are going to end up like Cutcliffe. That is leading to NCAA Investigations which means probation which for a coach can lead to career jeopardy. Ole Miss doesn't have a huge fanbase and it's spread out over the country- and what local fanbase they do have doesn't live in reality and isn't willing to go through a 10 year process to get to the top. They also have enough history to believe that they can and should be an elite powerhouse when the reality is they are in the lower division of the league. Add in racist symbols that they cling to- it doesn't make things any easier. Add in that they have to share Mississippi with a now resurgent MSU football program.

ShotgunDawg
11-13-2017, 05:26 PM
Also keep this in mind, Finebaum spouting Mullen/Tennessee is the ultimate ratings bait because it involves & raises the emotions of two SEC fan bases.

There is no other name they can discuss on TV that would elicit more conversation that Mullen.

Commercecomet24
11-13-2017, 05:27 PM
That's because Alabama is the measuring stick. And that's one reason why Ole Miss got a lot of pub when they beat them two years in a row. And even though we didn't beat them as you said we earned a lot of respect. You have to beat Alabama or apparently come pretty close to it- to get attention from the national media. I expect us to continue to start to see the narrative change- especially if we finish this year off well.

I think the 2014 season the perception was more that it was the Dak show and that's why we did what we did. Even though that's not the reality. Dan doing what he is now with the talent he has on campus plus what he's bringing in means we aren't a "generational player" program.

Well said. To add this team is probably the most physical team that Dan has put on the field. When you're physical and can control the los it sure makes everything a whole lot easier and it intimidates the crap out of other teams.

Hasu Dackds
11-13-2017, 05:28 PM
Arkansas should really join the Big 12 if they truly want to win. Yeah yeah I know they won't give up the money train but it's a better fit and would give that conference more credibility. Then we could go get FSU, and move Mizzouri to the West.

Tbonewannabe
11-13-2017, 05:30 PM
With Texas A&M going to the SEC, Missouri going to the SEC, & TCU going to the Big 12, Arkansas' recruiting base has been decimated. It is easily the hardest place in the SEC West to win. Arkansas has to go to Dallas, KC, Tulsa, etc to get players. Within the area size of that triangle, MSU recruits it's entire roster.

I think people that don't follow it think Freeze proved it was easier to recruit to Ole Miss even though everyone who knows what was really going on know that is a lie. UM has to overcome the whole Old South slave imagery that they DO NOT want to give up. Also it has been a while since they had any successful people in the NFL. Eli is just hanging around drawing a check.

99jc
11-13-2017, 05:34 PM
A prime example of how coaches make a big difference is Boise State that is a hard place to recruit too but they were on the national stage when they had a great coach. Now look at them. Look at the lean years Alabama went through with Dubose and Shula. They still recruited at a high level but the coaches sucked. Mullen has a system in place that works he is a very good coach. We will win more than we lose as long as he is here and every few years have an elite team like next season.

Bothrops
11-13-2017, 05:39 PM
Good points. We are in a fertile recruiting region, and that is something the media conveniently fails to mention when it comes to MSU. It's like they have to sign a clause in their job contract to snub our program whenever possible. It's crazy.

ShotgunDawg
11-13-2017, 05:40 PM
Haha, This is hilarious.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOi7tyNVAAAgjP3.jpg

DawgPoundtheRock
11-13-2017, 05:41 PM
Maybe a few members of the media are starting to get it, but mark my words, after SEC media days next summer, our preseason projection will be no higher than 5th in the west.

AROB44
11-13-2017, 05:47 PM
Arkansas should really join the Big 12 if they truly want to win. Yeah yeah I know they won't give up the money train but it's a better fit and would give that conference more credibility. Then we could go get FSU, and move Mizzouri to the West.

I never understand this line of thinking. Why do we want the SEC to get harder? It's hard enough to win now.

WPS
11-13-2017, 06:01 PM

We still recruit better than Missouri and TCU. Honestly our Texas recruiting hasn't been what it was in the SWC long before all of that. We still normally have a top 25 class but we aren't going to get any players that A&M or UT want anymore.

ShotgunDawg
11-13-2017, 06:04 PM
We still recruit better than Missouri and TCU. Honestly our Texas recruiting hasn't been what it was in the SWC long before all of that. We still normally have a top 25 class but we aren't going to get any players that A&M or UT want anymore.

I agree that you still recruit better than TCU & Missouri, but those program upgrade in status has caused you guys to lose a guy or two a year that you used to get.

Just saying that Arkansas' lack of a local recruiting foot print has made it the hardest job in the SEC West. I'd say it's still better than Kentucky, Vandy, & Mizzou though

Turfdawg67
11-13-2017, 06:04 PM
Haha, This is hilarious.

Oh man, that?s so great! Did you tweet him this?? What a POS!

MeridianDog
11-13-2017, 06:07 PM

Interesting

Ain't it nice that this sports writer has realized what Dan already knows!

Respect is a difficult thing to acquire, and it can't (Wink Wink OM) be bought.

Turfdawg67
11-13-2017, 06:10 PM

Interesting

I think some of that is the ?electric atmosphere? that has been catching on the last few years. Plus our Bama game was the highest rated game this season so even more got to see and hear that ?electric atmosphere?!

Commercecomet24
11-13-2017, 06:10 PM
Haha, This is hilarious.

Did Dan pee in Feldman?s Cheerios? Geez he?s got an agenda on mullen.

Hasu Dackds
11-13-2017, 06:11 PM
Remember a few years ago when the media was talking about how every coach in the SEC West paid their coach 4 million, and something would have to give? Well, LSU, Texas A&M, Arkansas and Ole Miss balloon popped, in that order in terms of severity.

Hasu Dackds
11-13-2017, 06:12 PM
I never understand this line of thinking. Why do we want the SEC to get harder? It's hard enough to win now.

I don't WANT it to happen, from my selfish POV. I'm simply saying I could see that as semi-logical for Arkansas, if I was in their position (sans SEC money). Who knows what the next round of alignment brings, the money may dry up.

IMissJack
11-13-2017, 11:17 PM
Maybe a few members of the media are starting to get it, but mark my words, after SEC media days next summer, our preseason projection will be no higher than 5th in the west.

I hope so. Feed that fire!

BulldogBear
11-13-2017, 11:47 PM

True, but only for about 3 more weeks.

ShotgunDawg
11-13-2017, 11:55 PM
Did Dan pee in Feldman?s Cheerios? Geez he?s got an agenda on mullen.

You have it wrong. Feldman is making Dan money. Dan loves Feldmam

Commercecomet24
11-14-2017, 12:01 AM
You have it wrong. Feldman is making Dan money. Dan loves Feldmam

Lol didn?t think about it like that.

Jack Lambert
11-14-2017, 12:05 AM
I agree that you still recruit better than TCU & Missouri, but those program upgrade in status has caused you guys to lose a guy or two a year that you used to get.

Just saying that Arkansas' lack of a local recruiting foot print has made it the hardest job in the SEC West. I'd say it's still better than Kentucky, Vandy, & Mizzou though

Arkansas isn't that much smaller then Mississippi and they are the school in that state you would think they could find 25 real good guys out of all their high school each. Not saying your are wrong it just a shame Arkansas can't produce enough talented guys if true.

Spiderman
11-14-2017, 12:34 AM

Doesn't look like yall recruit any where near as well as TCU the last few years to me

Hail State
11-14-2017, 01:13 AM
I think the main reason we see Mullen's name pop up in the regional (SEC) media is because State has a large online presence. Especially Twitter and Facebook. Probably has to do with being the predominant university in the state but I feel like a lot of times we are just being trolled with the same ole tired "Mullen to X", "Mullen to Y". because it's guaranteed clicks for hack journalists like Sallalee, Finebaum etc. Also gives them an easy headline without having to do their job. I guess we can thank the #msumafia for that.

ShotgunDawg
11-14-2017, 01:27 AM
Arkansas isn't that much smaller then Mississippi and they are the school in that state you would think they could find 25 real good guys out of all their high school each. Not saying your are wrong it just a shame Arkansas can't produce enough talented guys if true.

The demographics and football culture are significantly different. Everything west of Little Rock is east TN 2.0 and they lack nearby cities like Memphis, BHam, Mobile, or NO to draw from. It’s apples and oranges compared to us.

TUSK
11-14-2017, 01:28 AM
Lol didn?t think about it like that.

Dan loves PF, more.... You cats win out (big), and he gone be like:

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/04/04a7cc0c6176ac4bb1a6232c83122802acbb00cf5e77f9b031 042e649c7d2a61.jpg

Commercecomet24
11-14-2017, 01:31 AM
Dan loves PF, more.... You cats win out (big), and he gone be like:

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/04/04a7cc0c6176ac4bb1a6232c83122802acbb00cf5e77f9b031 042e649c7d2a61.jpg

I should?ve known. Always follow the money lol! Yep he gone get paid!

TUSK
11-14-2017, 01:41 AM

Good points, Jack, however, it depends on "what level" at which one wants to be... eg: if Arkie got the "best 20" out of Arkie, they'd still be a crap program... in small pop states (AL, MS, AR, etc), if ya wanna truly excel, you only want the top 5-10 guys in state... then pilfer elsewhere... pick up 2 in LA, 1 in AR, 1 in MS, etc et al...

My thoughts, anyway....

Commercecomet24
11-14-2017, 01:53 AM
Good points, Jack, however, it depends on "what level" at which one wants to be... eg: if Arkie got the "best 20" out of Arkie, they'd still be a crap program... in small pop states (AL, MS, AR, etc), if ya wanna truly excel, you only want the top 5-10 guys in state... then pilfer elsewhere... pick up 2 in LA, 1 in AR, 1 in MS, etc et al...

My thoughts, anyway....

Yeah the population base just doesn?t produce enough elite level players to depend on just your own state in smaller states.

Maroonthirteen
11-14-2017, 06:24 AM
I think the main reason we see Mullen's name pop up in the regional (SEC) media is because State has a large online presence. Especially Twitter and Facebook. Probably has to do with being the predominant university in the state but I feel like a lot of times we are just being trolled with the same ole tired "Mullen to X", "Mullen to Y". because it's guaranteed clicks for hack journalists like Sallalee, Finebaum etc. Also gives them an easy headline without having to do their job. I guess we can thank the #msumafia for that.

^^^^^^^ This.

Hot seat articles, talk.... coaching carousel debates obviously get clicks and views etc. the media jumping on the hot seat talk as early as September and after every upset proves that. The Mullen talk...... Unfortunately he is "the name" to throw out there to look like they (media) know something and it is a story the blue blood fans will buy because their arrogant opinion of their own school and MSU and Starkville. People like Feldman and Clay Travis.... are going to look like an idiot when this plays out.

BulldogBear
11-14-2017, 08:35 AM

I think it's been made clear, even if it's "unifficial," that the SEC is not going to consider schools in states where already have representation...at least not until some new paradigm comes along to change how business is done. As long as TV $$$ drives potential expansion there will be no duplicate markets. There is also the fact schools like TAMU, UGA, UF, USCe, and KY would be hurt in recruiting. They want to remain the only SEC option in town. If we ever go to 16 it will likely be with two of VPI, NCSU, WVU. If Arky (less than 1% chance) or Mizzou were to ever leave, then all of those three. I could see Missouri possibly going to B1G if ever they had the shit though still small chance. Big 12 would be a downgrade for either one. And besides if we and the B1G ever went to 16 it would probably be the end of the Big 12 anyway.

BB30
11-14-2017, 10:03 AM
Honestly, we have a really really good coach. I know he has had is flaws and still does. IMO he is the second best coach in the SEC including Kirby(still think we need to see what he does a couple of yrs down the line). When you have a coach like that his name is going to pop up in a lot of coaching searches. Just the way it is. I'm sure it has already been mentioned but they talked about it during the game and the gist was that Mullen and his family love Starkville and love it here.

I think Mullen is pretty intelligent and I am sure he realizes how good he has it. He knows he can be our Beamer and stay as long as he wants and collect a great paycheck that will continue to get bigger as long as he continues to win.

I do think there is something different about him this year. I think he reevaluated himself and the program after last season. It seems as though he has that chip back. We have to make sure we keep Grantham IMO. If we can keep him we are going to be set for the next few years.

bostondawg
11-14-2017, 10:13 AM

I made a post about this a while back where I looked at the per-school, per-year production rate of of 4/5* talent of each SEC state. Long story short, while having to split talent from Mississippi with TSUN, we're still in a way better recruiting place than Arkansas or Kentucky. Arkansas might be the only school in the state, but the state produces little talent. That isn't to be confused with LSU, a school that's the only in its state which does produce a lot of talent. LSU has a huge advantage over us. But we're still in a better place than Arky.

Spiderman
11-14-2017, 10:13 AM
I think it's been made clear, even if it's "unifficial," that the SEC is not going to consider schools in states where already have representation...at least not until some new paradigm comes along to change how business is done. As long as TV $$$ drives potential expansion there will be no duplicate markets. There is also the fact schools like TAMU, UGA, UF, USCe, and KY would be hurt in recruiting. They want to remain the only SEC option in town. If we ever go to 16 it will likely be with two of VPI, NCSU, WVU. If Arky (less than 1% chance) or Mizzou were to ever leave, then all of those three. I could see Missouri possibly going to B1G if ever they had the shit though still small chance. Big 12 would be a downgrade for either one. And besides if we and the B1G ever went to 16 it would probably be the end of the Big 12 anyway.

Had talks with both Byrne and Stricklin while they were AD here. Both said There was no way Florida or S. Car. would ever allow Fla. St, Miami, and Clemson in the SEC. And they could count on the votes of A&M, Ky. LSU, Ark. and Ga. against it too. The others not wanting another instate school, or close neighbor in ever either.

When we 1st expanded, I thought Clemson was a natural fit more than S. Car. Still do. And Mizzou was still a horrible choice, IMO. They want the St. Louis TV market, but those folks are more vested in the Cardinals and other pro sports.

Va. Tech would have been ideal instead of Mizzou.

Political Hack
11-14-2017, 10:15 AM
He's damn near guaranteed 20+ years here at over $5 million a year. His total earnings at state will likely top $100 million before he's gone, if he sticks around.

Anywhere else he's looking at about the same pay check with 3-4 years guaranteed. If it's a money issue, he's total earnings here far, far outweigh anything he could reasonably guarantee elsewhere. If he leaves, he's leaving because he thinks he has a better shot to win a title there than at State. But, I think he also realized that he's really close to winning a title at State.

Saban is old. And we're catching up to them, but it'll likely take Saban leaving to realize it.
Auburn is volatile year to year.
We've pulled even with LSU and are taking the best QBs in Louisiana on the regular now.
We've pulled ahead of A&M, Ark, Kentucky, and OM.

Our recruiting is exploding now that the confederates can't buy everyone with a pulse and we've got a great team coming back next year.

Commercecomet24
11-14-2017, 10:18 AM
He's damn near guaranteed 20+ years here at over $5 million a year. His total earnings at state will likely top $100 million before he's gone, if he sticks around.

Anywhere else he's looking at about the same pay check with 3-4 years guaranteed. If it's a money issue, he's total earnings here far, far outweigh anything he could reasonably guarantee elsewhere. If he leaves, he's leaving because he thinks he has a better shot to win a title there than at State. But, I think he also realized that he's really close to winning a title at State.

Saban is old. And we're catching up to them, but it'll likely take Saban leaving to realize it.
We've pulled even with LSU and are taking the best QBs in Louisiana on the regular now.

Our recruiting is exploding now that the confederates can't buy everyone with a pulse and we've got a great team coming back next year.

Nail on head.

ShotgunDawg
11-14-2017, 10:24 AM

This, this, this

In some ways it has been a blessing in disguise that Mullen hasn't beaten Bama or had a ton of success in big games. It's made him appear dull & as a lower ceiling coach to those around the country. That along with what we pay him has caused him to be at MSU for longer than he ever expected & to the point where now he looks up & realizes he has created a really good job.

Commercecomet24
11-14-2017, 10:34 AM
Saban wasn't always Saban. He got to work out the chinks in his armor at Toledo, Michigan State and LSU before becoming the dynastic Coach he's become. Dan is getting to work out the chinks in his armor in the SEC West. Dan didn't have the opportunity to grow as a head coach at another destination before he got here. We are watching the evolution of a head coach here. We sometimes forget that Dan was only 37 when he came here and not a finished product. He has evolved and is learning and growing before our very eyes. Clock management, special teams, recruiting, OL play, a real DC, etc. are all becoming strengths for him now as he has had to cut his teeth in the toughest, most vicious division of the toughest conference in America. Proud we have him and hope he sticks around a long,long time!

BrunswickDawg
11-14-2017, 10:40 AM

I know not everyone thinks this way - but Cost of Living in Starkville is ridiculously cheap compared to Athens, Knoxville, Gainesville, etc.
It's 22% cheaper than were I live and housing is 44% cheaper. At $5m a year, Dan is able to live better than all of his peers - save Saban - and bank far, far more - and can live the life he wants too.

Commercecomet24
11-14-2017, 10:45 AM
I know not everyone thinks this way - but Cost of Living in Starkville is ridiculously cheap compared to Athens, Knoxville, Gainesville, etc.
It's 22% cheaper than were I live and housing is 44% cheaper. At $5m a year, Dan is able to live better than all of his peers - save Saban - and bank far, far more - and can live the life he wants too.

Amazing that none of these media types every bring that up isnt it? Grass isnt always greener as our Head Coach is fond of saying.

WPS
11-14-2017, 01:01 PM
Doesn't look like yall recruit any where near as well as TCU the last few years to me

Depends how much stock you want to put into recruiting service rankings. Hard to judge since we have one of the worst coaches in our history while they have the best coach in theirs lol.

They definitely have a lot more speed than we do though, but we beat them last year.