PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About the 2018 Defense

ShotgunDawg
11-13-2017, 09:40 AM
Thinking about the 2018 defense & how much better it could be than our current one.

- Losing Dez Harris will hurt but Erroll Thompson, Leo, Willie Gay, & Gerri Green should be more than adequate to go along with those we redshirted

- We have to upgrade in the secondary. We really need Cam Dantzler to take a step forward & hopefully a few others. Maybe Corione Harris can play early. Maybe Cole & Landrews? Really wish we had a shut-down JUCO guy coming in. Calvin Ridley will graduate but they've got other similar players to take his spot & we don't even know what school AJ Brown may be playing for next year. Gotta get better at DB. It killed us Saturday night. Our coverage ability is sup-par

- Another year under Grantham should add to our ability to get better. My new nickname for him is the "Defensive Don" because he looks just like John Gotti. https://www.wcbi.com/wcbi/wp-content/uploads/3aaf6ddeb2f34051bbf6c339b6189c2f-1-300x169.jpg
http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/gotti1.jpg

- However, where I think we have a chance to improve the most is on our pass rush. If Montez Sweat returns, we can now balance our pass rush with Chauncey Rivers & Aaron Odom on the other side. I'm not an Xs & Os guy, & was curious about how this would work. For you football guys, how much could the addition of Rivers & Odom help Sweat become more unstoppable?

Coach34
11-13-2017, 09:41 AM
you mean 2018?

ShotgunDawg
11-13-2017, 09:42 AM
Good catch. Sorry, screwed that up

Hasu Dackds
11-13-2017, 09:54 AM
If there's anything you don't need to worry about, it's our football team next year. Biggest problem is going to be motivation and dealing with success.

As far as Sweat, I don't see that guy getting drafted this year. Just doesn't have that notoriety yet. I don't see him in the top 3 rounds of any mock draft. The only MSU junior I see is Jamal Peters and that's late 3rd round, so I doubt he goes.

vv83
11-13-2017, 09:57 AM
If there's anything you don't need to worry about, it's our football team next year. Biggest problem is going to be motivation and dealing with success.

As far as Sweat, I don't see that guy getting drafted this year. Just doesn't have that notoriety yet. I don't see him in the top 3 rounds of any mock draft. The only MSU junior I see is Jamal Peters and that's late 3rd round, so I doubt he goes.

Wait seriously? That's great for him, but I didn't even realize he was considered as having a chance to go pro at all.

ShotgunDawg
11-13-2017, 10:03 AM

Nah. Jamal has to get looser in his hips. He loses his balance & gets turned around due to stiff hips. He can get there, but has to improve. Go watch some of the replays of him covering Ridley the other night.

thf24
11-13-2017, 10:05 AM
Wait seriously? That's great for him, but I didn't even realize he was considered as having a chance to go pro at all.

Not too surprising honestly. He's got prototypical NFL safety measurables, which is most of the equation when it comes to draft stock. That said, he absolutely needs to come back to have a prayer of sticking in the league more than a year or two.

Coach34
11-13-2017, 10:06 AM

Pro scouts know 100% who Sweat is. But the consensus right now is that he needs to return to improve his stock

ShotgunDawg
11-13-2017, 10:10 AM
Pro scouts know 100% who Sweat is. But the consensus right now is that he needs to return to improve his stock

Coach,

From an Xs & Os standpoint, if Rivers & Odom are legit pass rushers, how does that affect Sweat & our defense? How can we use them optimally?

Dallas_Dawg
11-13-2017, 10:12 AM
Coach,

From an Xs & Os standpoint, if Rivers & Odom are legit pass rushers, how does that affect Sweat & our defense? How can we use them optimally?
Roll in fresh legs like Bama does. If there is one position that you can?t have enough of, its pass rushing DLs

Ifyouonlyknew
11-13-2017, 10:26 AM
Coach,

Rivers allows Sweat to play more as a stand up rush in instead of his hand in the dirt. Odom is going to be good but he's not going to get much burn with Sweat, Gerri, & Spencer all coming back.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-13-2017, 10:27 AM

Yep the scouts love Sweat but he has a chance to play his way into the 1st Rd next year. That's big for him. Sweat & Simmons both playing for 1st Rd checks next year.

ShotgunDawg
11-13-2017, 10:46 AM
Yep the scouts love Sweat but he has a chance to play his way into the 1st Rd next year. That's big for him. Sweat & Simmons both playing for 1st Rd checks next year.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/22856b941e20033c840605ba5ec22f1a/tenor.gif?itemid=5656800

Drugdog
11-13-2017, 10:53 AM

Love your posts, keep them coming.

Bubb Rubb
11-13-2017, 11:00 AM
Rivers allows Sweat to play more as a stand up rush in instead of his hand in the dirt. Odom is going to be good but he's not going to get much burn with Sweat, Gerri, & Spencer all coming back.

Sweat is a beast and scouts love him. I think the consensus is that he maybe needs to add a little weight, but he could really play his way into a first/second round draft position.

Bubb Rubb
11-13-2017, 11:04 AM
- We have to upgrade in the secondary. We really need Cam Dantzler to take a step forward & hopefully a few others. Maybe Corione Harris can play early. Maybe Cole & Landrews? Really wish we had a shut-down JUCO guy coming in. Calvin Ridley will graduate but they've got other similar players to take his spot & we don't even know what school AJ Brown may be playing for next year. Gotta get better at DB. It killed us Saturday night. Our coverage ability is sup-par

We definitely need to get better, but Smoot and Bean would have struggled against Ridley when the QB had all day to throw and extend the pocket. We did a pretty good job heating up the QB against Bama at times, but Hurts and Ridley are going to make plays, period.

Coach34
11-13-2017, 12:13 PM
Coach,

No doubt we can. It just gives us more depth which is the key. And its quality depth- not just bodies. Also, it allows us to sub better situationally against various offensive packages that teams have. Our 2018 D is going to be filthy.

mstatefan91
11-13-2017, 12:34 PM
We need Grantham to stay. Don't 17 this up Mullen.. please

BuckyIsAB****
11-13-2017, 02:14 PM
Peters is very good depending on the matchup. If you put him on the bigger more physical WRs like OM has for example he can be lock down. But if you match him up with the smaller quicker guys (Calvin Ridley) thats where he can have some problems. Dantzler is the better matchup for the smaller WRs and both of them are better than Cleveland and Durr IMO

ShotgunDawg
11-13-2017, 02:19 PM
Peters is very good depending on the matchup. If you put him on the bigger more physical WRs like OM has for example he can be lock down. But if you match him up with the smaller quicker guys (Calvin Ridley) thats where he can have some problems. Dantzler is the better matchup for the smaller WRs and both of them are better than Cleveland and Durr IMO

I can agree with this.

I think Calvin Ridley is an absolute stud. Watching him live the other night was unreal. He is the reason they won the game & was easily the best player on the field.

His feet, twitch, & agility makes me believe he'll be Odell Beckham 2.0. I was hoping he would fall to where the Cowboys are picking, but I just don't see it. I think Ridley should go off the draft board between 5-10 overall.

BuckyIsAB****
11-13-2017, 02:23 PM
I can agree with this.

I think Calvin Ridley is an absolute stud. Watching him live the other night was unreal. He is the reason they won the game & was easily the best player on the field.

His feet, twitch, & agility makes me believe he'll be Odell Beckham 2.0. I was hoping he would fall to where the Cowboys are picking, but I just don't see it. I think Ridley should go off the draft board between 5-10 overall.

Idk if he was the best player on the field but he is good. He went out of bounds and came back in on one of his catches in the 2nd quarter, but it was bad technique by Peters. Peters was gonna have probs with him anyway. Peters will be a game changer vs OM. He can go toe to toe with Brown and Metcalf

Ari Gold
11-13-2017, 02:37 PM
There might be a player that may test the NFL waters this year that will be a little shocking.. at least it was to me when I was told. Don't everyone freak out and try and guess who.. if he does it will be ok..

BeardoMSU
11-13-2017, 02:52 PM
There might be a player that may test the NFL waters this year that will be a little shocking.. at least it was to me when I was told. Don't everyone freak out and try and guess who.. if he does it will be ok..

I think most can guess...

ShotgunDawg
11-13-2017, 03:01 PM

I can think of 2 players.

I think both should come back & I think they know that.

Bubb Rubb
11-13-2017, 03:31 PM

This is the reason that Thompson has been getting playing time. And yes, it will be ok.

BrunswickDawg
11-13-2017, 03:32 PM

As long as they listen when they get their grade and don't pull a DeRunnya, we good. I can't blame anyone for looking to see where the pros think they are.

Ari Gold
11-13-2017, 06:11 PM

I will stop this from going any further .. it isn't Leo ..

somebodyshotmypaw
11-13-2017, 07:12 PM

I don't think the NFL is going to tell Harrison Moon what he wants to hear***. He will be back.

MeridianDog
11-13-2017, 08:04 PM
We need Grantham to stay. Don't 17 this up Mullen.. please

Grantham wants his son to be stable through the rest of High School and that will be at Starkville HS. All we need to do is pay him enough to stay. Just the raise he deserves will do it, and we can do that.

Homedawg
11-13-2017, 09:46 PM
Grantham wants his son to be stable through the rest of High School and that will be at Starkville HS. All we need to do is pay him enough to stay. Just the raise he deserves will do it, and we can do that.

Grantham is going to get more money. Again, we aren't going to lose Mullen or grantham because of money. That won't be the reason either leaves. And I don't think either is on the way out. But both will be courted hard.

Ari Gold
11-25-2017, 11:52 PM

Bump... told ya it would be shocking.

Dallas_Dawg
11-25-2017, 11:55 PM
Bump... told ya if would be shocking.
He?s making a huge mistake if he goes.

Coach34
11-25-2017, 11:55 PM
Peters better stay. Would be a worse decision than Bear

Commercecomet24
11-25-2017, 11:56 PM

Yeah would be one of the dumbest moves ever.

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2017, 12:03 AM

He'll stay.

I think it's a tough time of year for players. The season ends, they are tired, emotionally exhausted, & go home for Thanksgiving where they around a bunch of family members that don't quite understand how all this works.

In a small town, our players are superstars. Everyone wants a piece & they start asking about the "The league"

Jamal will be fine, but these kids do face pressures when they go home for the holidays

Todd4State
11-26-2017, 01:02 AM
Jamal Peters is my boy. And I don't think he's ready yet. He stays another year he is only going to help himself out.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-26-2017, 01:20 AM
He'd get drafted this year but I expect him back.

confucius say
11-26-2017, 01:29 AM
If he and dantzler take a step forward next year, our defense could be special.

somebodyshotmypaw
11-26-2017, 08:46 AM
Peters was highly rated coming from high school. But I've seen nothing that says he is ready for the NFL. I would think his measurables would say NFL, but the film won't.

Cooterpoot
11-26-2017, 09:05 AM
Nah. Jamal has to get looser in his hips. He loses his balance & gets turned around due to stiff hips. He can get there, but has to improve. Go watch some of the replays of him covering Ridley the other night.

Peters got burned once by Ridley on a play Ridley ran out of bounds on. He got beaten one other time and our safety missed the tackle. McLaurin got burned by him and so did Abrams. Peters wasn?t terrible. He?d destroy the combine. He?s going to be a 3rd round pick next year if he stays healthy and has a decent year. He?s a combo guy that can play both S and CB.

Ezsoil
11-26-2017, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE=mstatefan91;834925]We need Grantham to stay. Don't 17 this up Mullen.. please[/QUOT

I have been a longtime friend of his uncle and cousin and from what I understand, one of the reasons he wanted to come here was the stability of Mullen and I believe he wants to be in one place for his son to graduate and he is a sophomore....

maroonmania
11-26-2017, 09:34 AM

Peters still has a LOT to learn about playing CB. Guess that isn't a surprise since he hasn't done it for long. On that 3rd and 14 against Bama where we sent 8 rushers at the QB Peters totally misplayed his side by being 10-12 yards off Ridley allowing Hurts to hit him on the little slant almost as soon as the ball was snapped with no defender in the picture. We were playing press coverage on the other side which is what Peters should have been doing as well but obviously he didn't know or understand the defensive call.

tcdog70
11-26-2017, 12:11 PM
What about big AUTRY? I think he can be a force.