PDA

View Full Version : Hate to be that guy but I am gonna be that guy...

Dawg61
11-12-2017, 07:48 PM
we need to chill a little on the 9-3 talk. Team needs to be every bit as fired up and then some to play Ole Miss as they were to play Bama last night. Rebels new QB is putting up stupid video game numbers since he took over and our secondary is still Into The Great Wide Open. msstate7's boy is gonna be fired the **** up to play us and their entire team and fanbase is drooling at a shot to wreck our season. There is an all out war coming in two weeks and we better be ready to NCAA assault the Rebels if we want to finish regular season 9-3 (shouldn't look past Arkansas either as they didn't punt one time vs us last year and Allen is back, I realize that wasn't Grantham's defense). This season will be a total shitburger if we don't win these last two games. Just saying. The two biggest games of the year are our next two games. Win those and then let's jerk off to Citrus Bowl talk. End of my cool story.

ShotgunDawg
11-12-2017, 07:53 PM
Completely agree.

If our players want to be better than Bama then you have to play like Bama every Saturday.

You can't just pick & choose when you will play well. It has to become a habit & you must hold yourself to a standard.

Last night showed me that Dan Mullen can win a national title at MSU. We went toe to toe with the most talented team in America with no gimmicks, no tricks, & pure smash mouth football. Playing the way we did last night with some slight talent upgrades at WR & DB, give us a chance to beat anyone in America.

However, what makes Bama Bama is that they do it every weekend & that is what we have to show the next two weeks.

Championship programs play like champions every week. Our guys have got to find a way to put last night behind them, get, focused, & knock the hell out of Arkansas next Saturday morning.

Homedawg
11-12-2017, 07:53 PM
I don't think either game is a certainty. Should we win? Yeah. But next week scares me to death just because of what we are coming off of last night. The egg bowl anything can happen. Even the worse team winning. Never take that for granted.

msstate7
11-12-2017, 08:00 PM
In no way am I saying we have 9-3 sewn up, but take a look at common opponents for us vs our next 2 opponents. We are just a hell of a lot better team than both of them. If we can run the ball for 174 on what was the #1 rush defense in the country (#3 now) and held the ball all night, imagine what we do to ark (#94 rush defense) and OM (#126). We are going to absolutely obliterate their front 7s. Relax, we got this

Jack Lambert
11-12-2017, 08:02 PM
I pretty much think we will burn clock up in both games with our running game. Neither can stop the run and we have a damn good run game. I know Bama had some LB out but that isn't the reason our line was knocking their D line three and four yards back.

Both Sharts and pigs are good match up for us. I have a feeling Pigs are done. It will be feast time Saturday. The proof is the QB getting back to Arkansas and getting arrested. If he has checked out then I suspect most of the other team members have. Also H5-o hasn't faced a good Defense yet.

Commercecomet24
11-12-2017, 08:05 PM
In no way am I saying we have 9-3 sewn up, but take a look at common opponents for us vs our next 2 opponents. We are just a hell of a lot better team than both of them. If we can run the ball for 174 on what was the #1 rush defense in the country (#3 now) and held the ball all night, imagine what we do to ark (#94 rush defense) and OM (#126). We are going to absolutely obliterate their front 7s. Relax, we got this

Yep.

yjnkdawg
11-12-2017, 08:07 PM
Completely agree.

If our players want to be better than Bama then you have to play like Bama every Saturday.

You can't just pick & choose when you will play well. It has to become a habit & you must hold yourself to a standard.

Last night showed me that Dan Mullen can win a national title at MSU. We went toe to toe with the most talented team in America with no gimmicks, no tricks, & pure smash mouth football. Playing the way we did last night with some slight talent upgrades at WR & DB, give us a chance to beat anyone in America.

However, what makes Bama Bama is that they do it every weekend & that is what we have to show the next two weeks.

Championship programs play like champions every week. Our guys have got to find a way to put last night behind them, get, focused, & knock the hell out of Arkansas next Saturday morning.

The only way you can play like Bama every week is be Bama. Bama can't be up for every game, but Bama normaly has better players than other teams so they can win that way. This was a big emotional loss and it's difficult to get up the next week for a game. I would hope that we could beat ARK, with better talent and coaching and then be really fired up when OM comes in. Teams being able to turn on a switch and just be up for every game is just not reality. JWS has said that many times.

Really Clark?
11-12-2017, 08:08 PM
Not saying the players can just show up and win. We had better be prepared, but those numbers were against some of the worse passing defenses and/or some of the worse total defenses in the country. And wasn't that the same thing as last year? Now way we win because our pass defense is so bad, right? They need to play with intensity and be sound. UNM will get yards through the air because they normally do against most every team except Bama and LSU this year.

yjnkdawg
11-12-2017, 08:13 PM
I pretty much think we will burn clock up in both games with our running game. Neither can stop the run and we have a damn good run game. I know Bama had some LB out but that isn't the reason our line was knocking their D line three and four yards back.

Both Sharts and pigs are good match up for us. I have a feeling Pigs are done. It will be feast time Saturday. The proof is the QB getting back to Arkansas and getting arrested. If he has checked out then I suspect most of the other team members have. Also H5-o hasn't faced a good Defense yet.

Fitz said it was game planned specifically for Bama, in his post game comments, but I imagine it could be back on the table, especially for the OM game.

ShotgunDawg
11-12-2017, 08:18 PM
The only way you can play like Bama every week is be Bama. Bama can't be up for every game, but Bama normaly has better players than other teams so they can win that way. This was a big emotional loss and it's difficult to get up the next week for a game. I would hope that we could beat ARK, with better talent and coaching and then be really fired up when OM comes in. Teams being able to turn on a switch and just be up for every game is just not reality. JWS has said that many times.

No excuses

This program is building towards a championship style of football. To do that, the expectations & standards must be raised.

Although there are all the reasons in the world to have a let down game next weekend (I get it) everyone in this program from the players, coaches, & fans have to demand all week that that does not happen. Our players took to twitter last night saying they were better than Bama. Well.... lets see it. No excuses & I don't expect anyone here to make them either.

Coach34
11-12-2017, 08:19 PM
OM's new QB has faced:

123rd ranked D
75th ranked D
90th ranked D

PassInterference
11-12-2017, 08:20 PM
One game at a time.

I can admit to looking past Arkansas.

That Egg Bowl... No way Dak loses his last Egg Bowl, right? Now way Bo Wallace wins his last Egg Bowl on one leg and a patchwork OL, right? The Egg Bowl is never ever a given.

msstate7
11-12-2017, 08:22 PM
One game at a time.

That Egg Bowl... No way Dak loses his last Egg Bowl, right? Now way Bo Wallace wins his last Egg Bowl on one leg and a patchwork OL, right? The Egg Bowl is never ever a given.

2014 were evenly matched teams. 2015 they were better by a good bit. 2017 is not evenly matched teams at all

Commercecomet24
11-12-2017, 08:23 PM
No excuses

This program is building towards a championship style of football. To do that, the expectations & standards must be raised.

Although there are all the reasons in the world to have a let down game next weekend (I get it) everyone in this program from the players, coaches, & fans have to demand all week that that does not happen. Our players took to twitter last night saying they were better than Bama. Well.... lets see it. No excuses & I don't expect anyone here to make them either.

Right. We find out Saturday if we are ready to step up to next level. Lose a game like that and respond by beating the snot out of the rest of your opponents. That?s how you respond if you?re building a elite program.

Jack Lambert
11-12-2017, 08:24 PM
One game at a time.

I might get thrashed for saying this but Umass is a better team then Arkansas and we manage to pull it out playing flat. Wasn't like the crowd noise was a factor in us winning. Better coaching and talent that got their head out of their asses at half.

Commercecomet24
11-12-2017, 08:24 PM
OM's new QB has faced:

123rd ranked D
75th ranked D
90th ranked D

Yep and the crappy crappy pig defense shut him down the whole second half and even uk held them in check to a degree.

GreenheadDawg
11-12-2017, 08:26 PM
OM's new QB has faced:

123rd ranked D
75th ranked D
90th ranked D

Jesus thank you. I’m so sick of hearing about Bruno Mars and how great of a QB he is. Some of y’all need to take his dick out of your mouth.

yjnkdawg
11-12-2017, 08:28 PM
No excuses

I want an SEC West Championship and a National Championship as much as anybody else but I think some of your expectations are a little unrealsitic On just shaking things off and being up for the ARK game, I hope they can! I believe Jackie said you can get up for maybe 4 games a year and have maybe 2 letdown games and the let down games and the other games you have to win with better players and coaching.

ShotgunDawg
11-12-2017, 08:29 PM
I want an SEC West Championship and a National Championship as much as anybody else but I think some of your expectations are a little unrealsitic On just shaking things off and being up for the ARK game, I hope they can! I believe Jackie said you can get up for maybe 4 games a year and have maybe 2 letdown games and the let down games and the other games you have to win with better players and coaching.

Nothing is unrealistic. Stop making excuses.

Todd4State
11-12-2017, 08:31 PM
Completely agree.

THIS 100%.

I don't expect us to win a National Championship every year- but if we come out with this attitude we will give ourselves a chance to maximize our talent and further our program beyond what many of our fans expected or dreamed of. All I really ask is that we win the games we're supposed to- Dan has done that at probably over 90% which is acceptable to me- and then in the games against the SEC bluebloods play as hard as we can and give ourselves a chance to win- last night was acceptable. We won't win every game against every blueblood- but we will give ourselves a good chance at pulling it off from time to time.

Our fans are scarred from Jackie and his "you can only get up for three games theory". That may or may not be true- but the problem is he coached like that. And you can't do that- that's how you beat Alabama and Ole Miss and then lose to Louisiana Tech and Kentucky in the same season. Or beat Alabama and Auburn but lose to a 3 win LSU team by 35 and an average Arkansas team. Dan is a better coach than that- and that's why I love some of the things he does like "We don't lose to Kentucky". That sets the tone and expectation and raises awareness and intensity just enough that it's only happened once in his tenure even though they aren't a rival. And that was with a Sirmon defense and on a long field goal at the end of the game.

I think this loss could have an opposite effect too though- it may make our guys more focused on what they need to do to get to the Alabama level and more confidence in themselves than ever. And based on the stats I could totally see us tearing Arkansas and Ole Miss a new one on the ground. I'm sure we'll give up a few bombs to both of them but it is what it is at this point. We should be good enough to play well enough to beat both of them.

tcdog70
11-12-2017, 08:31 PM
Nobody wants to go to Fayetteville
it might be cold and miserable.
over confidence could be a problem.
that being said we need to attack the Hogs with a vengeance.

bluelightstar
11-12-2017, 08:34 PM
Arkansas is just not very good. I don't expect us to come out with the same intensity, but it's hard to imagine that it'll matter.

msstate7
11-12-2017, 08:35 PM
Nobody wants to go to Fayetteville
it might be cold and miserable.
over confidence could be a problem.
that being said we need to attack the Hogs with a vengeance.

Extended forecast, so who knows, but as of now, weather should be no issue. 40s to 50s with no rain

Todd4State
11-12-2017, 08:36 PM

Honestly our ceiling is 12-0 during the regular season. Will we get there? Maybe not. And you know what? If we don't and we only average 9-10 wins over the next few years it's OK. If we do reach that ceiling it's going to be unbelieveable. The better you get and the higher you go the more difficult it is to achieve goals. But when you are an 8 win team like we are now getting to 9-10 needs to be the goal or we will get stagnant.

And like Dan said after we win the first championship the next goal is to win the next championship after that.

Todd4State
11-12-2017, 08:37 PM
Extended forecast, so who knows, but as of now, weather should be no issue. 40s to 50s with no rain

That's better than last time we went there- that was the coldest game I have ever been at.

Political Hack
11-12-2017, 08:39 PM
If we gotta remind them why to be fired up for that game, they don't need to be on the field. I think we're going to see two teams trying to inflict punishment on one another. There are going to be some big, big hits. I hope our guys are smart about it.

Hasu Dackds
11-12-2017, 08:40 PM
S&P and F+ says we have a 75% chance in both games, so we're about a 50/50 shot of being 9-3. The great thing is, we play the better team at home and the worst team on the road (I know Arkansas beat Ole Miss but Ole Miss is the better team, matchup wise at least, for us).

We have no excuse to lose to this Ole Miss team at home. We know their game plan. We know what type of game plan it will take to beat them. It's acceptable to bring the B game to Fayetteville, but the Egg Bowl should get our A effort, on Thanksgiving night at night. Not to mention we are just better than them.

Cooterpoot
11-12-2017, 08:50 PM
we need to chill a little on the 9-3 talk. Team needs to be every bit as fired up and then some to play Ole Miss as they were to play Bama last night. Rebels new QB is putting up stupid video game numbers since he took over and our secondary is still Into The Great Wide Open. msstate7's boy is gonna be fired the **** up to play us and their entire team and fanbase is drooling at a shot to wreck our season. There is an all out war coming in two weeks and we better be ready to NCAA assault the Rebels if we want to finish regular season 9-3 (shouldn't look past Arkansas either as they didn't punt one time vs us last year and Allen is back, I realize that wasn't Grantham's defense). This season will be a total shitburger if we don't win these last two games. Just saying. The two biggest games of the year are our next two games. Win those and then let's jerk off to Citrus Bowl talk. End of my cool story.

That OM offense struggles to put up points against good teams. They?ve been playing bad ones. Don?t let them fool you. We aren?t losing in Vegas either. Don?t worry about stupid stuff.

Commercecomet24
11-12-2017, 08:54 PM
That OM offense struggles to put up points against good teams. They?ve been playing bad ones. Don?t let them fool you. We aren?t losing in Vegas either. Don?t worry about stupid stuff.

Exactly! It?s like nobody remembers what we did to them last year in oxford with a terrible dc. We have a real dc and better talent this year, they?re the same.

ShotgunDawg
11-12-2017, 09:04 PM
THIS 100%.

I don't expect us to win a National Championship every year- but if we come out with this attitude we will give ourselves a chance to maximize our talent and further our program beyond what many of our fans expected or dreamed of. All I really ask is that we win the games we're supposed to- Dan has done that at probably over 90% which is acceptable to me- and then in the games against the SEC bluebloods play as hard as we can and give ourselves a chance to win- last night was acceptable. We won't win every game against every blueblood- but we will give ourselves a good chance at pulling it off from time to time.

Our fans are scarred from Jackie and his "you can only get up for three games theory". That may or may not be true- but the problem is he coached like that. And you can't do that- that's how you beat Alabama and Ole Miss and then lose to Louisiana Tech and Kentucky in the same season. Or beat Alabama and Auburn but lose to a 3 win LSU team by 35 and an average Arkansas team. Dan is a better coach than that- and that's why I love some of the things he does like "We don't lose to Kentucky". That sets the tone and expectation and raises awareness and intensity just enough that it's only happened once in his tenure even though they aren't a rival. And that was with a Sirmon defense and on a long field goal at the end of the game.

I think this loss could have an opposite effect too though- it may make our guys more focused on what they need to do to get to the Alabama level and more confidence in themselves than ever. And based on the stats I could totally see us tearing Arkansas and Ole Miss a new one on the ground. I'm sure we'll give up a few bombs to both of them but it is what it is at this point. We should be good enough to play well enough to beat both of them.

Totally agree.

Jackie may be right or Jackie may be wrong but that quote is a terrible excuse that MSU fans continue to use, and, to be honest, I can?t imagine Mullen ever saying this.

The point is that we should and must hold ourselves to a higher standard than this.

Todd4State
11-12-2017, 09:11 PM
2014 were evenly matched teams. 2015 they were better by a good bit. 2017 is not evenly matched teams at all

I think we were better in 2015. Dan's head was somewhere else after he had interviewed with Miami that week and we just weren't emotionally where we needed to be. Not to mention Dak tried to do too much and turned the ball over a couple of times getting us in a hole we couldn't quite dig out of. That and South Alabama are the low points in Dan's tenure thus far to me.

In some ways at least to me- 2015 was Dan's worst season with us.

I'm glad Keenum straightened it out and that Cohen is our AD now.

Todd4State
11-12-2017, 09:13 PM
Totally agree.

Jackie may be right or Jackie may be wrong but that quote is a terrible excuse that MSU fans continue to use, and, to be honest, I can?t imagine Mullen ever saying this.

The point is that we should and must hold ourselves to a higher standard than this.

I can't either- last night he pretty much said his goal was to win a championship. The closest he normally comes to a "let down" is something like the UMass game where he is trying to save the QB from taking a pounding which is logical. But at least if he sees that we are down he rips their ass at halftime and then starts running the QB to win the game. Which is what happened.

Commercecomet24
11-12-2017, 09:16 PM
THIS 100%.

Great post! I love Jackie but I never bought the only get up for 3 or 4 games a year stuff. You say that and it kinda becomes a mindset. And like I said I love Jackie!

Todd4State
11-12-2017, 09:25 PM
Great post! I love Jackie but I never bought the only get up for 3 or 4 games a year stuff. You say that and it kinda becomes a mindset. And like I said I love Jackie!

For me it's either I really love some things that Jackie did or I absolutely hate them. Overall I liked him but I like Dan overall better.

LOVED Jackie's massive o-lines, two running back systems with Davis/Bouie, Dontae/Dicenzo, etc., Joe Lee Dunn pre-2001, emphasis on special teams, the Mad Dawgs (We need to bring them back), and calling Ole Miss Mississippi while calling Billy Brewer a habitual liar and giving MSU fans confidence and something to cheer about.

HATED Jackie's QB development or lack thereof, lack of team discipline during games on both sides of the ball, firing Bruce Arians, punting to Derek Abney over and over, bowl preparation or lack thereof, not being able to beat crappy LSU teams ever except 1999, and inexplicable losses to people like Troy and blowout losses to people like LSU.

Edit to say I HATED the we can only get up for three games mantra and still do.

Commercecomet24
11-12-2017, 09:31 PM
For me it's either I really love some things that Jackie did or I absolutely hate them. Overall I liked him but I like Dan overall better.

LOVED Jackie's massive o-lines, two running back systems with Davis/Bouie, Dontae/Dicenzo, etc., Joe Lee Dunn pre-2001, emphasis on special teams, the Mad Dawgs (We need to bring them back), and calling Ole Miss Mississippi while calling Billy Brewer a habitual liar and giving MSU fans confidence and something to cheer about.

HATED Jackie's QB development or lack thereof, lack of team discipline during games on both sides of the ball, firing Bruce Arians, punting to Derek Abney over and over, bowl preparation or lack thereof, not being able to beat crappy LSU teams ever except 1999, and inexplicable losses to people like Troy and blowout losses to people like LSU.

Agree completely

Hasu Dackds
11-12-2017, 09:39 PM
If you want to be so strongly opinionated, you need to have some evidence or experience to back you up. I was on my way to posting a yearly list of our 'up' games and considered it a waste of time because we only average 2 or 3 per year.

Some of you are going to continue to ignore this near fact forever, to your own detriment. It's the nature of football. It's a tough sport, and momentum is a big part of it. Navigating this, and your home/away schedule, goes a long way into your W/L record. Saban is about the only coach that can maneuver around this and that's only because he's got the best players and consistently play at a B+/A- level. Normal teams have their few A games, then have to rely on talent the rest of the time.

Pollodawg
11-12-2017, 09:44 PM
OM will be in it until the half just because we’re their Super Bowl. But State will pull away in the third. Better talent. More depth. Better coaching.

Pollodawg
11-12-2017, 09:46 PM

Actually, Brewer called Sherrill a habitual liar. Jackie said he didn’t believe Brewer said it because Brewer can’t spell habitual. They call us necks, but Brewer was the biggest hillbilly on the planet.

MeridianDog
11-12-2017, 09:47 PM
I agree Shotgun. What we need to remember is that they played as well as they did last night after losing to both Auburn and GA. They know that the remaining games are games we always said we could win.

They will be fine. They know what they must do, and if we think we want them to win, we mist realize how badly they want to prove what they are made out of.

Winners find a way to win.

Our job here is to support our team.

Go dogs. You can do this and we believe you can do it, too.

LC Dawg
11-12-2017, 09:54 PM
Patterson was putting up big numbers coming into the Egg Bowl last year and we beat them 55-20 with Sirmon. I feel pretty good about putting this year?s defense out there.
One thing that does concern me about home Egg Bowls is our senior recognition is pretty emotional with both Megan and Dan on the field. I think it affected Dak a lot in 2015 and helped Arkansas jump on us early last year and we could never recover. I would like to see that done a little earlier so the players could go back in and regroup some before kickoff.

Bubb Rubb
11-12-2017, 09:54 PM
Relax....we are going to beat the shit out of ole miss.

Todd4State
11-12-2017, 10:03 PM
If you want to be so strongly opinionated, you need to have some evidence or experience to back you up. I was on my way to posting a yearly list of our 'up' games and considered it a waste of time because we only average 2 or 3 per year.

Some of you are going to continue to ignore this near fact forever, to your own detriment. It's the nature of football. It's a tough sport, and momentum is a big part of it. Navigating this, and your home/away schedule, goes a long way into your W/L record. Saban is about the only coach that can maneuver around this and that's only because he's got the best players and consistently play at a B+/A- level. Normal teams have their few A games, then have to rely on talent the rest of the time.

I "ignore" it because it's used as an excuse by some in our fan base to make an excuse for poor performance- and I think I was pretty clear about that. Yes "down" games happen but as I said Jackie seemed to coach that way and that's not a good way to be to maximize your potential. And I'm pretty sure Dan Mullen agrees with me. In fact, Jackie is pretty much the only coach I have ever heard say anything like that.

I remember Coach Justice in high school after we beat Vicksburg 17-14 and had to come from behind to do it in miracle fashion say "To go undefeated you are going to have to win a close game at some point". That's a MUCH better attitude to have than "well, we can only emotionally get up for three games".

And there is PLENTY of evidence during Jackie's tenure even during some of his best seasons that his philosophy on that was flawed and IMO held us back some. You can't build respect for your program if you beat Alabama but also lose to 2-9 LSU by 35. People are going to think that the win over Alabama was a fluke. There are multiple blowouts, losses to teams like Troy and Northeast Louisiana that show that his philopsophy is flawed. Dan has pretty much eliminated the non-power 5 losses essentially. Yes, we've gotten blown out a few times but at a much less frequency than Jackie and most of those are probably from Alabama and Saban if I had to guess without looking. And I don't remember Dan getting blown out by a non top 25 team off the top of my head.

Activated Alpha
11-12-2017, 10:05 PM
We should never sleep on a SEC team. Ever.

Political Hack
11-12-2017, 10:17 PM
We should never sleep on a SEC team. Ever.

People quickly forgot about that UMass game two weeks ago.

bulldawg28
11-13-2017, 03:05 AM
Patterson was putting up big numbers coming into the Egg Bowl last year and we beat them 55-20 with Sirmon. I feel pretty good about putting this year?s defense out there.
One thing that does concern me about home Egg Bowls is our senior recognition is pretty emotional with both Megan and Dan on the field. I think it affected Dak a lot in 2015 and helped Arkansas jump on us early last year and we could never recover. I would like to see that done a little earlier so the players could go back in and regroup some before kickoff.

If that's your concern sleep easy. We don't have enough seniors playing to impact the game negatively for us to lose.

Mimi's Babies
11-13-2017, 07:14 AM
ONE GAME AT A TIME

cujo
11-13-2017, 07:52 AM

Edit to say I HATED the we can only get up for three games mantra and still do. Thanks Todd

Bothrops
11-13-2017, 07:58 AM
We got the backs to along with Fitz to control these games. Our Defense needs to keep it up. Just take it one game at a time. One game at a time.

Bulldogg31
11-13-2017, 08:30 AM
DBAP.

We bout to roll both their asses. We'll Rush for 700 yards over five days.

We've lost three games to three top 10 (maybe top 5) teams.

We've beaten the hell out of everyone else we've played. We'll have 1000 yards of offense that week. No way Grantham's D let's them keep up.

Dawgology
11-13-2017, 08:46 AM
DBAP.

We bout to roll both their asses. We'll Rush for 700 yards over five days.

We've lost three games to three top 10 (maybe top 5) teams.

We've beaten the hell out of everyone else we've played. We'll have 1000 yards of offense that week. No way Grantham's D let's them keep up.

THIS! Right now our football team isn't sad and moping they are ****ing pissed!! It's on twitter, instagram, folks are talking. Not only is this team focused they are ****ing angry.

It's going to be a slaughter. Thursday night at the Egg Bowl is going to be an electric crowd because our fans are angry also.