PDA

View Full Version : Post game traffic flow

RocketDawg
11-12-2017, 12:22 AM
Well, this has to be the most idiotic exit traffic flow I've ever seen anywhere. Left our parking lot, wanting to go east to Columbus. Went around President's Circle, intending to turn left between the library and med center. Nope ... had to turn right to Blackjack. Turned right there, intending to go to Hwy 12, then around to 82. Nope, had to turn left on Stone. It went somewhere out in the sticks. Eventually there was a sign saying "To 82". It just didn't say it was 30 miles away. Made another left turn on to Octoc (?). Went further out into the sticks and over the roughest paved road I've ever seen. Eventually got to Hwy 45 after maybe 15 miles. Had to go north, then get on 82 to Columbus.

Surely somebody could come up with a better traffic flow than that. If I miss the OM game it won't be because of the team ... it'll be the ridiculous traffic after the game.

Skydawg1
11-12-2017, 12:25 AM
Don't stop believing.

Coursesuper
11-12-2017, 12:33 AM
Is controled by incompetent morons!

PassInterference
11-12-2017, 02:16 AM
Park off campus. I walk about a mile to my car. Most games, I get in and then drive home. Today when everybody leaves at once, it took me 30 minutes to get from my car to the highway leaving Starkville.

I used to have an on-campus parking permit. A night like tonight would have taken my 2.5 HOURS to get off campus.

Todd4State
11-12-2017, 02:40 AM
I have been everywhere in the SEC and I would honestly say ours is the worst in the league.

PassInterference
11-12-2017, 03:15 AM
I have been everywhere in the SEC and I would honestly say ours is the worst in the league.

Welp. It’s one of the smallest campuses. And its had roads removed to make it more of a pedestrian campus.

Todd4State
11-12-2017, 03:40 AM
Welp. It’s one of the smallest campuses. And its had roads removed to make it more of a pedestrian campus.

I figured we actually were one of the larger ones if you included all of the farm land?

Anyway A&M and Arkansas both have FREE shuttles that run much more smoothly than the pay 20 bucks and park thing we do. If I'm going to spend 20 bucks to park the least they could do is get more people directing traffic.

TUSK
11-12-2017, 04:15 AM
I figured we actually were one of the larger ones if you included all of the farm land?

Anyway A&M and Arkansas both have FREE shuttles that run much more smoothly than the pay 20 bucks and park thing we do. If I'm going to spend 20 bucks to park the least they could do is get more people directing traffic.

CORRECT

Cooterpoot
11-12-2017, 06:34 AM
Welp. It’s one of the smallest campuses.

It’s actually the largest.

Mimi's Babies
11-12-2017, 07:25 AM
CORRECT

We do have shuttles. Park down town. The shuttle picks up in front of regions Bank and they are free.

msbulldog
11-12-2017, 10:10 AM
MSU is the largest A&M campus.

HereComesTheSpiral
11-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Yeah, Baton Rouge is atrocious.

LC Dawg
11-12-2017, 12:30 PM
We do have shuttles. Park down town. The shuttle picks up in front of regions Bank and they are free.

I love my parking pass because it?s so close to our tent but if I didn?t have it I would use the shuttles. With the roads closed on game day and over 70,000 people on campus there is no way to quickly get them out of the relatively small area in which they are parked.

Todd4State
11-12-2017, 12:34 PM
Yeah, Baton Rouge is atrocious.

Agree. Baton Rouge seems like even when there aren't games though.

Spiderman
11-12-2017, 02:44 PM
Well, this has to be the most idiotic exit traffic flow I've ever seen anywhere. Left our parking lot, wanting to go east to Columbus. Went around President's Circle, intending to turn left between the library and med center. Nope ... had to turn right to Blackjack. Turned right there, intending to go to Hwy 12, then around to 82. Nope, had to turn left on Stone. It went somewhere out in the sticks. Eventually there was a sign saying "To 82". It just didn't say it was 30 miles away. Made another left turn on to Octoc (?). Went further out into the sticks and over the roughest paved road I've ever seen. Eventually got to Hwy 45 after maybe 15 miles. Had to go north, then get on 82 to Columbus.

Surely somebody could come up with a better traffic flow than that. If I miss the OM game it won't be because of the team ... it'll be the ridiculous traffic after the game.

The problem is mainly allowing traffic to come onto campus after a game. ALL lanes should be out going. Also 4 way stops are better than cops or redlights. And the roads are roads, NOT sidewalks. Get out of the damn road if you are walking

HereComesTheSpiral
11-12-2017, 02:50 PM
The problem is mainly allowing traffic to come onto campus after a game. ALL lanes should be out going. Also 4 way stops are better than cops or redlights. And the roads are roads, NOT sidewalks. Get out of the damn road if you are walking

A pedestrian bridge at 12 and Russell St similar to the on university would help.

sandwolf
11-12-2017, 03:10 PM
A pedestrian bridge at 12 and Russell St similar to the on university would help.

Agreed.

KB21
11-12-2017, 03:14 PM
Park off campus. I walk about a mile to my car. Most games, I get in and then drive home. Today when everybody leaves at once, it took me 30 minutes to get from my car to the highway leaving Starkville.

I used to have an on-campus parking permit. A night like tonight would have taken my 2.5 HOURS to get off campus.

I got into my truck at 10:03 last night. I got home at 12:30. I live in Starkville.

FanninDawg
11-12-2017, 03:17 PM
I left immediately at the end of the game. Was home in flowood at 11:45.

Lord McBuckethead
11-12-2017, 04:59 PM

That is actually a pretty good way to get off campus.

Lord McBuckethead
11-12-2017, 05:04 PM
Some folks waited for the shuttles at the arch building for over 2 hours. Then the cops took down the barriers and the area was cleared in about 30 minutes. I do not have the answer for the parking situation, but you should not be able to pick up your tailgating stuff until 3 hours after the game, unless you tailgate next to your lot. Most people tailgate on campus and park somewhere else. They have to leave campus and work their way on. Everything should be contra flow off campus until after the 3 hour deadline.

WPDawg
11-12-2017, 05:22 PM

Sticks? that's funny.... You are in Mississippi. Surprised you don't know where sessum's area is but maybe that's just me. Take a left on Oktoc and then left on Artesia/Sessums road to Hwy 45. Not the smoothest of paved roads but beats sitting still in traffic. Park on South side of campus and that is probably best way back to Columbus. Or take a left on Blackjack and then left on Hickory Grove which takes you back to 82.

Political Hack
11-12-2017, 05:25 PM
Sticks? that's funny.... You are in Mississippi. Surprised you don't know where sessum's area is but maybe that's just me. Take a left on Oktoc and then left on Artesia/Sessums road to Hwy 45. Not the smoothest of paved roads but beats sitting still in traffic. Park on South side of campus and that is probably best way back to Columbus. Or take a left on Blackjack and then left on Hickory Grove which takes you back to 82.

They should pave that and contra flow it out to 45. That would take care of everyone leaving for Columbus, West Point, Meridian, T-town, etc... Would probably help relieve the strain on other exits.

viverlibre
11-12-2017, 05:28 PM
I left immediately at the end of the game. Was home in flowood at 11:45.

Parked at the lot across the street from Bost, messed around breaking down tailgate, dropped someone off who parked at the Catholic Church and still got to Flowood by 12:30.

parabrave
11-12-2017, 06:32 PM

Dam thats the old shortcut from 45. After you get lost on Artesia trying the backway that is.

RocketDawg
11-12-2017, 06:46 PM

Yeah, I think the cops may just hinder things. My complaint isn't so much about it taking a while to leave campus; it's them not letting you go the most effective route you want to take. Last night put me so far out in the middle of nowhere that I had no idea where I was. Woulda been simple matter to let us turn left behind the library and go by the highway patrol station. There was no traffic at all, either way, on that road (can't remember the name but it's the one that peels off of Lee at the arch. building) and goes to Blackjack.

And yes ... make people quit walking down the middle of the street. The cops should be monitoring that, not directing traffic. Gotta say that traffic is much better without the golf carts. They were a real pain.

RocketDawg
11-12-2017, 06:48 PM
Dam thats the old shortcut from 45. After you get lost on Artesia trying the backway that is.

Yeah, that's exactly where I was ... Artesia. Don't recall ever hearing of the place. And the road through there is dark and has no paint on it at all, not to mention being the roughest paved road in the country. There was even a sign saying something like "very uneven roadway". Why don't they just fix it??

RocketDawg
11-12-2017, 06:50 PM

I'll keep that in mind for next game. You gotta remember that I went to school there, but it was many years ago. Things have changed. Plus, I didn't spend a lot of time driving around in the countryside.

Mjoelner34
11-12-2017, 06:55 PM
I'm in the BDC but I never buy a parking pass. I park in Bully Grass and tailgate there. I usually pack up my tailgate before I go into the game but we left it up last night to wait on the traffic. When the game is over I power-walk back to my truck and take a left out of Bully Grass then a right onto Stone. At that point I'm either home 2 miles down Blackjack Rd or sitting at the Veranda with a cold one in my hand before they even interview Mullen in the locker room. The whole key to getting out of Bully Grass fast after the game is getting there before a line of traffic starts coming up from Stone to get on Hwy 12 and blocking your left exit out of the lot. If that happens, you're screwed unless you plan on heading west on 12 which I do not. After years of parking there, I've only gotten caught by the traffic a couple of times. The worst ever was the USM game a few years ago.

Qwerty
11-12-2017, 07:01 PM
I parked in the grass lot on Stone across from the rec field,took a while to get out of the stadium, stopped by the tailgate for 5-10 minutes, and made it to the Rez by midnight. I thought the traffic flow was great.

Mimi's Babies
11-12-2017, 07:21 PM

Black Jack is part gravel.. We want all of Hickory Grove Paved.... IF there has been much rain the back roads flood. In all the years I have only had to turn around ONE time...

The person to complain too is Amy Tuck....

Dawgbite
11-12-2017, 07:35 PM
The new road headed south out of campus, it's not Stone Blvd, it changes names after it crosses Blackjack at the vet school, will eventually intersect Hwy 45 about Crawford. It's not going to help folks headed north or east but it's going to be great for going south. There is discussion of extending Poor House over to 45 or at least improving Artesia Rd but funds are the issue.

Mimi's Babies
11-12-2017, 07:47 PM
Black Jack is part gravel.. We want all of Hickory Grove Paved.... IF there has been much rain the back roads flood. In all the years I have only had to turn around ONE time...

The person to complain too is Amy Tuck....

The Supervisor to THANK for the road going SOUTH..... is Bricklee Adams Miller.... She is also head of the Horse Park (don't know her official title)....

Memphisbulldog
11-12-2017, 08:36 PM
I got into my truck at 10:03 last night. I got home at 12:30. I live in Starkville.

I stayed to end of game. Was at home in Memphis by 11:55.

Lord McBuckethead
11-12-2017, 08:37 PM
I believe you are talking about the industrial Ed building not Arch building. Arch building is just North of the northwest corner of the stadium.

Lord McBuckethead
11-12-2017, 08:43 PM
Bricklee is awesome. Amy Tuck doesn't have anything to do with either. Black Jack isn't part of MSU where Amy's responsible for. Even then, I doubt she has anything to do with traffic after a sporting event. Maybe we can raise a bunch of money for a traffic expert to come in and study our system, make recommendations for our master plan, and then raise 10-15 million to implement those parking and contraflow ideas.

Short of that, we will need to work on it slowly and surely over the next 20 years.

Lord McBuckethead
11-12-2017, 08:44 PM
Also, the entire town isn't ideal for max traffic flow. 15k cars arrive throughout the day and they all want to leave at the same time.

tcdog70
11-12-2017, 10:14 PM
Bricklee is awesome. Amy Tuck doesn't have anything to do with either. Black Jack isn't part of MSU where Amy's responsible for. Even then, I doubt she has anything to do with traffic after a sporting event. Maybe we can raise a bunch of money for a traffic expert to come in and study our system, make recommendations for our master plan, and then raise 10-15 million to implement those parking and contraflow ideas.

Short of that, we will need to work on it slowly and surely over the next 20 years.

Isn't MSU a leading engineering School? You would think someone could figure it out.

MeridianDog
11-12-2017, 10:34 PM
With all of your heart believe they saved your life with that route. Had you left campus quicker, you would have had a horrible crash on 82 and died in the resulting fire. All who knew you before the game would be in mourning right now, telling each other, "If he had only taken a right hand turn somewhere and been delayed a little or something!

Some one up there loves you so much.

You are a fortunate (greatly blessed) man.

See? It was the luckiest detour of your life!

Gutter Cobreh
11-12-2017, 10:38 PM
I'll keep that in mind for next game. You gotta remember that I went to school there, but it was many years ago. Things have changed. Plus, I didn't spend a lot of time driving around in the countryside.

You never went to the Refuge while in school? That, in and of itself, would familiarize you with the area you're speaking of...

BrunswickDawg
11-12-2017, 11:01 PM

Wasn’t Mac’s Supper Club out that way? I never drove to it, and I was never sober on the trip, but I remember heading out Blackjack to a real shitty road. “Roberta, Roberta get your big leg off’a me...”

Maroonbulldog
11-12-2017, 11:39 PM
Yeah, I think the cops may just hinder things. My complaint isn't so much about it taking a while to leave campus; it's them not letting you go the most effective route you want to take. Last night put me so far out in the middle of nowhere that I had no idea where I was. Woulda been simple matter to let us turn left behind the library and go by the highway patrol station. There was no traffic at all, either way, on that road (can't remember the name but it's the one that peels off of Lee at the arch. building) and goes to Blackjack.

And yes ... make people quit walking down the middle of the street. The cops should be monitoring that, not directing traffic. Gotta say that traffic is much better without the golf carts. They were a real pain.

We park behind Dorman and after fighting through the geniuses walking in the middle of the road- the lady directing traffic gave me the go ahead to turn right toward the sorority houses/exit and a sheriffs deputy came running up yelling to stop- then they start yelling at each other. They need to get it together who?s in charge there. That deputy was nowhere to
Be seen before running up yelling like he did.

Avelso
11-13-2017, 12:25 AM
I left right after the game. I drove a buddy home that was sitting in the skybox which cost me about 15
minutes since I sit in grandstands. We park in lot 5 and we were home in Meridian 1 hour and 45 minutes later. Same story for LSU game. Not sure why we are so lucky but I might stay home if it took me 2 hours to get home in Starkville. That's insane.

HereComesTheSpiral
11-13-2017, 08:49 AM
Isn't MSU a leading engineering School? You would think someone could figure it out.

You ever met Civil Engineers?