PDA

View Full Version : Coaching lineman to jump

Maroon Diapers
09-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Watching the Ga Tech/Va Tech game. In one drive VT twice jumped into the neutral zone and the offensive lineman reacted, as in looked coached to false start knowing that an offsides penalty on the defense is in order. In Mullen's tenure, I've far too often painfully watched the dline jump into the neutral zone against our offense and them slowly ease back into stance while we sit there and do nothing. If we won't freaking snap it, why can't we just teach our offensive line to jump like Ga Tech does??

FISHDAWG
09-27-2013, 08:13 AM
Ga Tech O-linemen also had at least 7 false starts that prevented any momentum developing

smootness
09-27-2013, 08:18 AM
Yeah, it's a risky thing to do, I think, especially with college kids. If you're constantly teaching your OL to jump early, it's going to become more difficult for them to stay put when they need to.

Our OL are obviously coached to only go at the snap of the ball, and they are apparently coached fairly well because, like you said, even when the DL jumps, they stay put.

It might lead to a couple of penalties on the defense, but it also could inadvertently cause a couple of penalties on us as well.

FISHDAWG
09-27-2013, 08:22 AM
agreed ... leave it up to the center to snap the ball when that happens, not train the linemen to flinch - that's asking to much from an O-lineman (believe me-I know) .... Day doesn't seem to get this - Brignone did

smootness
09-27-2013, 08:27 AM
agreed ... leave it up to the center to snap the ball when that happens, not train the linemen to flinch - that's asking to much from an O-lineman (believe me-I know) .... Day doesn't seem to get this - Brignone did

Yeah, that's a better plan. It seems odd, but I think Day purposefully avoids it for some reason. I mean, against Auburn, he literally stared Lawson down as he slowly walked back to the line, then snapped it. Not sure why, but he refuses to do it.