PDA

View Full Version : Men's basketball keys to success

Irondawg
11-10-2017, 08:33 AM
Here are a few things that I think will determine how far this team go this year:

1) An overall desire to win

This seems like it should be a given, but there is a difference between refusing to lose and preferring to win. To date I haven't seen that intensity, focus or pride from this team

2) Having an on-court leader emerge

To achieve #1 you generally need to have one or more players step up be leaders and keep all the other guys hustling and focused on the job at hand. In practice and in games. I'm not sure if we've had that person emerge yet. At least I couldn't tell you who the heart and soul of this team is.

3) Defensive Improvement

The past few years our defense most resembled what they call defense in the NBA All-Star game. Lots of players gambling for steals and with no help rotation or blocking out. We've got to start moving our feet and understand that good defense is simply making the players go where they don't want to go on the floor and take shots they have a low chance of making. Everyone is point at Ado like he's going to be the next Varnado and while that would be great, our best teams historically have been those that have excellent defensive guards that disrupt the offense. Our guys can do it - but do they want to?

4) Improved offensive awareness

We must be crisper all the way around. We spend way to much time dribbling aimlessly around the perimeter with slow and lazy ball rotation. Most of our off the ball movement is also uninspired and going through the motions. Watching the NCAA tourney, the best teams move the ball around way, way faster than we do which makes us easy to defense unless one of our guys makes a nice 1-1 move. The key is to move with intent and purpose and be aware of the spacing and what the guys around you are doing. We also need to improve shot selection some early in the shot clock.

We have a deep team this year so Howland has tons of leverage with playing time. Especially with the guards. He can force them to hustle and play defense or he can bury them on the bench and find someone who will without losing a ton on the court.

I won't like - the exhibitions have me concerned as we look like a AAU team that has talent but no heart or basketball IQ. That needs to change now that we're to the real schedule if we want to be dancing somewhere.

Liverpooldawg
11-10-2017, 09:12 AM
THE key is to develop some reasonable approximation of an inside game.

MCsMGs
11-10-2017, 09:42 AM
Here are a few things that I think will determine how far this team go this year:

1) An overall desire to win

This seems like it should be a given, but there is a difference between refusing to lose and preferring to win. To date I haven't seen that intensity, focus or pride from this team

2) Having an on-court leader emerge

To achieve #1 you generally need to have one or more players step up be leaders and keep all the other guys hustling and focused on the job at hand. In practice and in games. I'm not sure if we've had that person emerge yet. At least I couldn't tell you who the heart and soul of this team is.

Defensive Improvement

The past few years our defense most resembled what they call defense in the NBA All-Star game. Lots of players gambling for steals and with no help rotation or blocking out. We've got to start moving our feet and understand that good defense is simply making the players go where they don't want to go on the floor and take shots they have a low chance of making. Everyone is point at Ado like he's going to be the next Varnado and while that would be great, our best teams historically have been those that have excellent defensive guards that disrupt the offense. Our guys can do it - but do they want to?

Improved offensive awareness

We must be crisper all the way around. We spend way to much time dribbling aimlessly around the perimeter with slow and lazy ball rotation. Most of our off the ball movement is also uninspired and going through the motions. Watching the NCAA tourney, the best teams move the ball around way, way faster than we do which makes us easy to defense unless one of our guys makes a nice 1-1 move. The key is to move with intent and purpose and be aware of the spacing and what the guys around you are doing. We also need to improve shot selection some early in the shot clock.

We have a deep team this year so Howland has tons of leverage with playing time. Especially with the guards. He can force them to hustle and play defense or he can bury them on the bench and find someone who will without losing a ton on the court.

I won't like - the exhibitions have me concerned as we look like a AAU team that has talent but no heart or basketball IQ. That needs to change now that we're to the real schedule if we want to be dancing somewhere.

Solid observations IMO.

HoopsDawg
11-10-2017, 09:58 AM
Howland has to define roles and players have to buy in. Can't just play for stats.

Got to get better ball movement in the half court offense.

Hope Ado can get healthy and live up to 50% of the hype.

Cooterpoot
11-10-2017, 10:11 AM
Howland better get ish together this year. He's not likely to get more than one more year if he doesn't get them going this year. We should be an NCAA team this year, but we won't be. If we miss the NIT too, then Howland is done next season without an NCAA run.

confucius say
11-10-2017, 10:29 AM
Must define roles. Everybody can't be 20 points a night guy. That's what made that 04 team so great, guys like power and Vincent who understood their roles.

Stapleton, ado, and herard have to know and accept their roles. They can each be so valuable in their own way.