PDA

View Full Version : Maybe we should not try to spread Bama out

Irondawg
11-10-2017, 12:18 AM
Pretty clear our standard offense can't move the ball on Saban's defense. Nor do we have the WR to win 1-1 matchups on a QB who can consistently throw in tight windows.

Maybe it's time to do a 180 and instead of spreading them out, bring them all in.

We know that Saban's defense are incredibly disciplined, but that their current LB corps is a little green. We have to find a way to confuse them and exploit that for some big gains. To do that we have to show them stuff they haven't seen in games or practiced much against.

I'd come out in a diamond or some other triple option set and just try to run it, run it, run it. Get all the Bama guys close to the LOS and over the course of the game try to get them to make a few assignment mistakes that generate 20+ yard gains for us. Put Mixon, Thomas, Hill, Gibson back there more to give a little extra speed. Thump D. Lee up there as a FB and while not great WR, our guys out there are big and should be able to block some. If Bama is all crowded toward the line we just need to open a coupe of seams here and there to move the ball. Occasionally throw up a jump ball to Thomas and see if he can block out a DB and make a play.

Basically run some form of the GT offense and see if we can get lucky. I don't think trying to pound the A-train and read option Fitz is going to get the job done.

I'll be interested to see if Dan changes anything or plays it straight.

Bubb Rubb
11-10-2017, 01:02 AM
Ugh, the diamond again.

If you want to confuse them and take advantage of their youth, you have to spread them out. Their defensive ends are going to set the edge on us almost every play if we don't spread them out. The best formula for success is to throw the ball on early downs with our slot receivers getting matched with their LBs. If we can be efficient with that early, and Fitz doesn't throw an early pick like he did against A&M, that should open things up for us to be able to run it a little bit. We are not going to hit any home runs offensively. To score, we are going to have to execute on several 10-plus play drives.

My biggest concern in the game, honestly, is our defense. I think we will play well enough against the run, but I'm nervous about them throwing over the top with our secondary. Their receiver talent is undeniable and Hurts throws a good deep ball. I don't think we will be able to score with them, and it will snowball out of control if we fall behind early.

If the defense can get some stops early, and we can sustain a drive or two and not have any mistakes offensively, we will have a shot. The worst thing Mullen can do is try to ask his offense to be something it isn't coming into this game.

Irondawg
11-10-2017, 01:30 AM
Our WR haven't been able to get open on anyone this year consistently so I just can't put faith in that plan of attack. I think they'll set the edge and be ok with us giving to A-train on the dive b/c they know he's not going to bust a 50 yard run. They'll be more than willing to let us try to run up the gut all day long.

I have the same fears on defense but i think you have to not protect against Hurts running and hope he's off on the long ball. Just make it a contested throw. He struggled somewhat against A&M and LSU on the deep sideline passes so just hope he doesn't connect.

In the end we're going to have to score at least 24 I think to win and that's a tall task.

Dawg61
11-10-2017, 01:31 AM
Don't allow them to sub ever on defense. Doing this magnifies them being down 4 starters on defense. Gas the backups with the HUNH. Have them sucking wind and confused causing them to not lineup up correctly. It's the best shot we got. Run Gibson a whole bunch. He is big and will wear on them. Gassed backups that are confused and getting worn on by our biggest bruising HB opens up Fitz on the outside and the over the top play action pass. We can beat Bama but we gotta beat up Bama to do it and we seem to have a very good field goal kicker too which could be huge in this game.

TUSK
11-10-2017, 01:49 AM
Don’t run sideline to sideline. Dead.

Don’t run between the tackles. No go.

Don’t run any play action or draws. Loss.

Do throw over the top to the sideline, a lot...

DonDon
11-10-2017, 07:05 AM
Need to run twin QB a lot. Both QBs can run like deer and they won't know how to defend it

MetEdDawg
11-10-2017, 07:20 AM
I would love to put 7 big uglies on the line of scrimmage plus a HB and do work with Aeris and Fitz. Neutralize Bama's speed and ability to out maneuver us and just try and old school ram it down their throats for two drives. If it doesn't work that's fine, but LSU in the past has had some success with a heavy set. Put our 6 best OL and Jordan Thomas on the LOS and just go to work.

Leeshouldveflanked
11-10-2017, 07:30 AM
Just prepare yourself that we are going to get beat by 30 points and you will sleep better ...... Saban has Mullen's number..... Mullen will have the same "deer in headlight look" he has every year against Bama and his most creative play of the day will be Fitz on a QB draw.