PDA

View Full Version : Saturday's game will be a chore for sure, but

Bodaski
11-09-2017, 10:04 PM
The one really concern I have that can flip a game quick is a blocked punt. Bama is going to do all they can to block our punts. Why, because we are slow getting them off. A&M came close several times and may have got a piece of 1. We just look slow getting the thing off. This is where I'm concerned about this game.

Political Hack
11-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Yeah. Thought that too. We were lucky against A&M in the punt game.

Todd4State
11-09-2017, 10:12 PM
A&M leads the SEC in blocked punts/kicks. I wouldn't worry too much about it because Alabama has the same amount of blocked kicks as we do.

Liverpooldawg
11-09-2017, 10:50 PM
To have even a chance at beating Bama, we have to be able to run the ball. I don't see it.

RougeDawg
11-09-2017, 11:00 PM
To have even a chance at beating Bama, we have to be able to run the ball. I don't see it.

Have to get Fitz Involved early in run game and he has to make some Greg decisions.

WesternSkyDawg
11-09-2017, 11:28 PM

Anyone would be crazy to predict that we'd run all over them. But this O line is better positioned to run the ball with some success than at any time in the Mullen era.

Our OL is better than LSU's. Take out the sack yardage and LSU had at least some success running the ball.

You know Mullen's going to come out conservative. This year is the best chance yet of that being effective. I'd expect Mullen to try to ground and pound until we get down two scores before he opens it up a bit. Hopefully he'll mix in some shots before it gets to that point. And hopefully, Reggie Todd, Donald Gray, Mixon, Jordan Thomas, Farrod Green, etc, will hit just two or three to make this year different.

Bodaski
11-10-2017, 12:17 AM
I would give Gibson plenty of carries. He looks good to me.

mstatefan91
11-10-2017, 12:27 AM
Gotta take it to those green linebackers. Just pound the hell out of them and then QB read option to the outside.

We can't beat them through the air. We are largely depending on our defense to even keep us in it. Fitz has to be the big play guy which means we have to open it up for him to run.

NCDawg
11-10-2017, 01:05 AM

I don't see it either. We haven't recruited well enough on the OL to complete with their defensive talent.

Todd4State
11-10-2017, 02:41 AM
I don't see it either. We haven't recruited well enough on the OL to complete with their defensive talent.

It's the lack of WR's that is going to kill us.

Spiderman
11-10-2017, 09:27 AM
Look, I'd love to win, Be wonderful. Hope and pray we play our best.

BUT..... I ain't losing sleep over it. I hope, win or lose, we get out healthy. And then win our last 2. Campus will be packed. Start of the game, at blessed 6 pm, will be electric. There will be beer and good whiskey and food. I have out of State kin and friends from my days at State coming I haven't seen in years.

I'm gonna have a good time. These are the games, and the team to give us these games, that are all I've ever asked for.

Enjoy this ride, now going on for 8 years and hope we have at least 8 more in a row.

Bully13
11-10-2017, 09:43 AM
question for the gurus, ex coaches , etc... what do y'all think the differences were between how we ran vs LSU, A&M and KY vs UMASS? did we just go basic on UMASS? was it due to having so many WR's out last week? not having any semblance of a down field threat due to having so many WR's out?

One thing is for certain when you look at the LSU, A&M & KY games is that we DO have an ability to run the ball on anyone when things are jelling. If we can loosen up Bamer where they are at least having to THINK about a down field threat, we may end up looking ok. the only thing I won't find acceptable is if we come out not fired up or prepared and take a big ass whipping. Would love to pull off the upset but I know that will be a tall order. I wanna see some toughness and some want to out of our team tomorrow.

BrunswickDawg
11-10-2017, 09:57 AM
Not a guru - but my observation is our offense works best when it it run oriented, with a QB fully engaged in that running game. When we remove the running QB from the equation it is not as effective.

Saturday we started out not running Fitz and threw more. This allowed an undersized - but talented - Defense to hang for a half because we didn?t pound them into submission before going conservative. Simple as that.

Bothrops
11-10-2017, 11:10 AM
Despite what people don't say about Gibson and Lee, I think they're good backs.

Saltydog
11-10-2017, 11:37 AM
others? Mixon, Green, etc.

AusTexDawg
11-10-2017, 12:07 PM
Look, I'd love to win, Be wonderful. Hope and pray we play our best.

BUT..... I ain't losing sleep over it. I hope, win or lose, we get out healthy. And then win our last 2. Campus will be packed. Start of the game, at blessed 6 pm, will be electric. There will be beer and good whiskey and food. I have out of State kin and friends from my days at State coming I haven't seen in years.

I'm gonna have a good time. These are the games, and the team to give us these games, that are all I've ever asked for.

Enjoy this ride, now going on for 8 years and hope we have at least 8 more in a row.

^This 100%

MeridianDog
11-10-2017, 02:45 PM
Special Teams performance could be key. Kicking game could be key.

Regardless of what I say, several explosive plays (ours or theirs) will make this game whatever it turns out to be.

Just wish it was Saturday night and we were watching whatever will happen.

And I have my hopes about the outcome.

Go Dogs!

RougeDawg
11-10-2017, 05:01 PM
Not a guru - but my observation is our offense works best when it it run oriented, with a QB fully engaged in that running game. When we remove the running QB from the equation it is not as effective.

Saturday we started out not running Fitz and threw more. This allowed an undersized - but talented - Defense to hang for a half because we didn?t pound them into submission before going conservative. Simple as that.

Gonna piggyback on your post and add to my earlier one. The games Fitz has looked bad passing are the games we either got behind and abandoned the run or were playing a lesser opponent and went pass happy early.

The conference games we were able to get leads in and stay in our game plan, getting Fitz some early read option runs, he passed better and our offense went up and down the field. Have to get Fitz going early and we have a Shot.