PDA

View Full Version : Bama vs Texas A&M Film Review

ShotgunDawg
11-08-2017, 11:21 PM
A little late night football watching. Youtube has completely changed the amount of information fans can get as evidenced by most SEC games being available in around 30 min cut-ups.

I wanted to watch this game because Texas A&M played Bama better than anyone else has this year & I wanted to see what they did to give Bama issues.

There are many on this board that are much more knowledgeable than me on the Xs & Os football that I would love to hear from & I also don't know which of these LBs will be available this weekend.

Here are some thoughts:

What A&M Did

- The game wasn't near as close as the final score indicated. Bama raced out to a 24-3 lead & then got sloppy with penalties, punts, & execution. Bama could've won much bigger.

- Most all of Texas A&M's success on offense came in 2 ways: 1. Stretching Bama's LBs by throwing to the running out of the back field & 2. By Mond scrambling & extending pass plays.

- A&M had ZERO luck running between the tackles, but you may have to run between the tackles some to keep their LBs honest. It won't work though unless us having an extra blocker due to Fitz running causes a problem.

- Christian Kirk was difficult for Bama to handle & got loose a few times.

- Defensively, A&M tackled fairly well & did an outstanding job of rushing Jalen Hurts. LSU did the same, so this could be a trend. Both A&M & LSU had their way at times with Bama's OL.

- Bama's goal line defense is hellacious & they do a major DL shift prior the snap in an effort get a false start. See our first & goal on the 1 yard line in 2014 as more evidence.

What I expect MSU To Do

- Due to A&M's success of throwing to RBs in the flats & on swing routes, I think this is why LSU basically attempted to accomplish the same thing by running so many jet sweeps. It makes me wonder if Bama's LBs aren't quite as fast as they have been in years past. Therefore, I expect MSU to keep Bama's LB honest by occasionally running between the tackles but really attempting to swing passes to Aeris & use Fitz on those off tackle QB runs in which MSU can have an extra blocker because our QB can run. Mullen will attack the edges & make Bama's LBs run side to side.

- Sweat, Green, Simmons will be able to get pressure on Hurts but our LBs must be disciplined. Hurts is a vertical runner & it's imperative that when we rush him we don't leave a gaping hole in the middle of the field for him to run. It's important that our rushes force him out of the pocket & preferably to his left.

- Fitz must be decisive when throwing the football. If the first read isn't there, extend the play by scrambling or cut straight up the field on an QB run.

I'm sure others will see more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_s0kjYP-Qs

Todd4State
11-08-2017, 11:44 PM
Heck, I would tell Fitz if the first read isn't there just run.

ShotgunDawg
11-08-2017, 11:57 PM
One thing is for sure: Fitz will have to be a grown ass man for us to score 17+ points.

SmokeyDawg
11-09-2017, 12:18 AM
I haven't seen us run many screens yet. Although they play screens well, it might be another way to put stress on their LBs and take advantage of a packed box.

ShotgunDawg
11-09-2017, 12:25 AM
I haven't seen us run many screens yet. Although they play screens well, it might be another way to put stress on their LBs and take advantage of a packed box.

Not sure screens will work.

They’d have to respect our WRs and need more than 4 to get pressure. We may be able to make them blitz, but their safeties and corners will destroy the play.

BuckyIsAB****
11-09-2017, 12:46 AM
Pretty good breakdown. Offensively our best shot and what we have had the most sucsses against them under Mullen (very little) is using the perimeter game (bubbles, key screens, RB swings, stretch option) and staying patient. End every drive with a kick. Nothing wrong with punting. We're going to have to be who we are, we aint gonna compete slinging it around the yard its not us. Take a couple shots off your perimeter game pump a bubble or key screen and take a shot. Have to run it at them, you cant abandon it or they will tee off on you. If you abandon the run you can throw play action away along with any chance of winning.

Defensively as you said tackling is going to be a big key. As it is in every game ever played. I feel pretty good about our front 7 vs theirs, my biggest concern is Jeudy, Ridley, and Foster getting behind us off play action. Jeudy is the real deal, hes better than Ridley IMO. His routes are unreal. All 3 are big play guys. Peters and Dantzler better eat their wheaties. Cleveland and Durr are who they are and they will start, its the Mullen way. We are probably going to need a defensive TD or setting up our O to score at least once to win.

Biggest part of this game for us against them as it always has been is mental. Which we as fans can do nothing about. If you are intimidated and dont believe they will crush you. Just the bottom line. We need something good to happen early in the game not only for us, but to show Bama we are going to be here all night

SmokeyDawg
11-09-2017, 01:00 AM
Not sure screens will work.

They’d have to respect our WRs and need more than 4 to get pressure. We may be able to make them blitz, but their safeties and corners will destroy the play.

Sorry, I wasn't very specific with what kind of screen. I was thinking more of a tunnel screen. Run a rb slip screen on one side making a LB follow. Tunnel screen opposite with the single receiver. Key is TE getting to the corner on that side. Used situationally of course

Todd4State
11-09-2017, 01:04 AM

That's because most of our WR's aren't great blockers. Remember that debacle of a screen against UMass a week ago? Maybe a middle screen or a screen pass to a running back when they are obviously blitzing might work with Aeris.

Todd4State
11-09-2017, 01:07 AM
Pretty good breakdown. Offensively our best shot and what we have had the most sucsses against them under Mullen (very little) is using the perimeter game (bubbles, key screens, RB swings, stretch option) and staying patient. End every drive with a kick. Nothing wrong with punting. We're going to have to be who we are, we aint gonna compete slinging it around the yard its not us. Take a couple shots off your perimeter game pump a bubble or key screen and take a shot. Have to run it at them, you cant abandon it or they will tee off on you. If you abandon the run you can throw play action away along with any chance of winning.

Defensively as you said tackling is going to be a big key. As it is in every game ever played. I feel pretty good about our front 7 vs theirs, my biggest concern is Jeudy, Ridley, and Foster getting behind us off play action. Jeudy is the real deal, hes better than Ridley IMO. His routes are unreal. All 3 are big play guys. Peters and Dantzler better eat their wheaties. Cleveland and Durr are who they are and they will start, its the Mullen way. We are probably going to need a defensive TD or setting up our O to score at least once to win.

Biggest part of this game for us against them as it always has been is mental. Which we as fans can do nothing about. If you are intimidated and dont believe they will crush you. Just the bottom line. We need something good to happen early in the game not only for us, but to show Bama we are going to be here all night

The most success we've had against them was when we had Bear and Josh. Of course Robinson sat a lot in that game because he took a safety trying to make a play. I think the way to beat them is you have to take and connect on some passes downfield and win the explosive play battle. And that's tough because that's a low percentage play. We don't have the personnel to do that.

BuckyIsAB****
11-09-2017, 01:10 AM
The most success we've had against them was when we had Bear and Josh. Of course Robinson sat a lot in that game because he took a safety trying to make a play. I think the way to beat them is you have to take and connect on some passes downfield and win the explosive play battle. And that's tough because that's a low percentage play. We don't have the personnel to do that.

Personel wise yes we had the most success that year but play wise we have hurt them with the perimeter game, wear them down make the DL and LBs run sideline to sideline. We dont have Josh and Dak but we have Nick and a stable of good RBs who all together out produce JRob.

munk_munk92
11-09-2017, 06:46 AM
I'd like to see us do that thing where fitz is acting like he is going to run off tackle then throw it to either aeris or a wide receiver off to the side.

Madisonmd
11-09-2017, 07:27 AM
Whats hard to overcome against Bama is theyr team speed on defense. watch how many of their kids end up around the ball. Their depth of talent is impressive.

BrunswickDawg
11-09-2017, 08:45 AM

The big thing with that is we can't try for the big play when we are behind the sticks. We need to hope that our ground game and short passing can continue to get us into 2nd and short situations where we can go for broke. That way if it doesn't work we are sitting 3rd and short instead of 2nd or 3rd and 10.

Fitz ran an incredible option attack in high school. As crazy as this sounds - this might be the one time where if we came out in a true option veer or Wishbone on the first drive we would catch an inexperienced LB corps off guard and smack them in the mouth real fast. Who knows - maybe since he hasn't had to "meddle" in the defense this year, "Mad Scientist" Dan has actually had a chance to develop a game plan and has been working on this for weeks.***

FISHDAWG
11-09-2017, 08:59 AM
we are going to get steam rolled like we do every year - they have better OL, DL, secondary, special teams, ect.... we might have the edge @ LB position

TrapGame
11-09-2017, 09:13 AM
Heck, I would tell Fitz if the first read isn't there just run.

This.

If he sees 10 yards of green, RTDB. Don't force it. It it ain't there just tuck and truck.

Cooterpoot
11-09-2017, 10:11 AM
If that receiver from UMASS drug McLaurin 20 yards, imagine what Hurts will do to him. Bama is going to spy Fitz in all likelihood. He's our offense.

Maddawg90
11-09-2017, 10:28 AM
Great breakdown and insight right here.

https://news.tidefans.com/2017/11/09/msu-preview-bulldogs-can-be-explosive-but-can-also-self-destruct/

MrHooch
11-09-2017, 03:55 PM
Jesse Jackson, another sub-10-yard receiver, will play a lot but isn’t considered a threat.[/url]

Looks like it's time for Jesse Jackson to put on a show...