PDA

View Full Version : Would Dan Mullen Be Interested In The Tennessee Job?

Parker Street
11-08-2017, 07:30 PM
Tennessee fans are throwing Mullen's name around to replace Butch Jones, if Tennessee can't get John Gruden.

Do ya'll think Mullen would be interested in the Tennessee head coach job?

Dawgology
11-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Hilarious!! Nice 3rd post.

Dallas_Dawg
11-08-2017, 07:33 PM
3 posts. Nahhhh

Statecoachingblows**
11-08-2017, 07:34 PM
Most definitely, he’d be a fool not to to want to fix all the shit that’s fallen apart up there over the last decade***

Coach34
11-08-2017, 07:42 PM
Yes

They will have to pay him 6MM and offer him a 5 year deal
He would be in the easier side of the SEC
He would be away from the retalitory tactics of the OM fanbase
Its got tradition
Its closer to the Northeast and to golfing Heaven that is South Carolina for his kid and wife

Do I think he would take it? Tough to call. His 2018 team will be his best team in Starkville- and that will be tough to leave to someone else. Plus, the expectations of Tenn are ridiculous. Gonna be an interesting offseason. State people thinking no way he would take it are kidding themselves- BUT its going to be a hard job to leave.

ckDOG
11-08-2017, 07:42 PM
Tennessee fans are throwing Mullen's name around to replace Butch Jones, if Tennessee can't get John Gruden.

He?d be an idiot not to listen. That said, UT ain?t the job it used to be. Stadium no longer impresses. Have to recruit out of a plane. About to have an active losing streak against every single SEC team.

Bucky Dog
11-08-2017, 07:43 PM
We should call Paaaawwwwwlllll and get the answe to this question!***

QuadrupleOption
11-08-2017, 07:44 PM
He'd be a ****ing moron to take that job. They wouldn't be satisfied with anything less than SEC titles and no one's beating Bama regularly until Saban's gone.

Statecoachingblows**
11-08-2017, 07:48 PM
Most definitely, he?d be a fool not to to want to fix all the shit that?s fallen apart up there over the last decade***

Dawgology
11-08-2017, 07:51 PM
Most Bama fans i know hopes he stays at State. Most other SEC West fans i know hopes he leaves for Tenn.

Saltydog
11-08-2017, 07:52 PM
speculated.

BrunswickDawg
11-08-2017, 08:11 PM
Yes

Its got tradition
Its closer to the Northeast and to golfing Heaven that is South Carolina for his kid and wife

Do I think he would take it? Tough to call. His 2018 team will be his best team in Starkville- and that will be tough to leave to someone else. Plus, the expectations of Tenn are ridiculous. Gonna be an interesting offseason. State people thinking no way he would take it are kidding themselves- BUT its going to be a hard job to leave.

http://www.dizzlexic.com/trolls/infinite-trolling-forever-always-stroll-troll-face-trollface.gif

Indndawg
11-08-2017, 08:13 PM
Would Hugh Freeze be interested in beauticians in Knoxville

KB549
11-08-2017, 08:18 PM
My job requires me to work quite regularly in TN. I do a lot around Knoxville. The arrogance of TN fans is sickening. Some are actually figuring it out that they aren’t who they once were. They know their program is in shambles and it’s not going to change overnight, no matter who they hire. Just like Florida. The rest of them have a delusion that they can just pick any coach, offer a salary and a pair of orange slacks, and the coach will not be able to turn down the chance to be the HC of the mighty Vols.

News flash UT. Mullen thinks you are a lateral move, at best. So do I. Dooley? Jones? That’s probably the next type of hire you’re going to wind up with again.

What really irritates me is the arrogance. I have customers ask me a lot about “we’re hearing the Vol AD is going after Mullen, what are you guys going to do?” I usually laugh and ask them if they’re serious. Then I say, “Why would he wante to take over that dumpster fire. You guys couldn’t throw enough money at him to hire him. He can retire in Starkville making a top 15 salary with no stress and ridiculous expectations. On top of that, SEC schools don’t poach from other SEC schools. It doesn’t make sense, unless he was maybe at Vandy or Mizzo. Mullen is positioned perfect for when Saban finally decides to retire.” And they sometimes realize that they aren’t what once were. Most just say something like, “Well, I bet we call him.” While you’re making calls, call Saban, Urban, Dabo, and Harbaugh. Maybe they will all be co-HCs.

Hasu Dackds
11-08-2017, 08:21 PM
Only if you dangle ridiculous money, which is the case for every coach in the country.

If you try to offer what we offer or just a tad over, you ain't getting him. I know, I know, we are lil miss state - don't matter, you ain't getting him

gonna take 6-7 mil IMO. He doesn't fit at Tennessee and he knows it.

DownwardDawg
11-08-2017, 08:25 PM
http://www.dizzlexic.com/trolls/infinite-trolling-forever-always-stroll-troll-face-trollface.gif

Hahahaha

Maroonthirteen
11-08-2017, 08:43 PM
So I guess somebody on "the hill" has informed Clay Travis that the Grumors are ridiculous. Travis has moved on to Dan to UT now.

However anyone that believes leech to OM and Kiffen to Arkansas is out of touch.

Dawg61
11-08-2017, 08:49 PM

Damn it Parker I just gave you a compliment in the ladies basketball thread and you gotta go and post this! Tennessee is about to have a current losing streak to EVERY SEC team in football after y'all get stomped by Mizzou so no I don't think Dan is going to leave a team that'll start next year ranked in the top 15-20 with a legit Heisman trophy contending senior QB to take over a Tennessee program that has no QB and no offense worth a shit. Would be phenomenally stupid for him to take the Vols job after he finally got Ole Miss' cheating ass outta the way on the recruiting trail. Life is very bright for Mullen and MSU for the next five years.

Political Hack
11-08-2017, 08:59 PM
No.

Saltydog
11-08-2017, 09:02 PM
both were strong in the 80's and 90's and now both are mediocre programs in terms of perception and results. The landscape of CFB has changed and these two aren't what they used to be.

Commercecomet24
11-08-2017, 09:08 PM
I'm in Knoxville and East Tennessee this week on business. There's a name I've heard mentioned by a couple of doctors here that are big UT boosters thats starting to build a little steam, Les Miles. Sounds crazy to me but apparently they love the fact he's a proven winner. They've done worse lol

Leeshouldveflanked
11-08-2017, 09:10 PM
Tennessee's best days are behind them.... recruits today don't remember Fat Phil and everyone is on TV...

DogsofAnarchy
11-08-2017, 09:16 PM

No he isn?t.

Maroonthirteen
11-08-2017, 09:21 PM
I'm in Knoxville and East Tennessee this week on business. There's a name I've heard mentioned by a couple of doctors here that are big UT boosters thats starting to build a little steam, Les Miles. Sounds crazy to me but apparently they love the fact he's a proven winner. They've done worse lol

Is there any chance Jones stays if .... IF they can win out? They can beat Mo and Vandy to get to 6-6 and bowl eligible. LSU will be a tough game.

Commercecomet24
11-08-2017, 09:22 PM
Is there any chance Jones stays if .... IF they can win out? They can beat Mo and Vandy to get to 6-6 and bowl eligible. LSU will be a tough game.

I've wondered that myself, but the Butch hate is pretty strong.

Cooterpoot
11-08-2017, 09:27 PM
Mullen ain’t going to TN. But watch out for Petrino and Norvell.

Harrydawg
11-08-2017, 09:30 PM
Yes

Its got tradition

This....great post...tough call. Would he leave a team behind that would beat the brakes off a team he?s going to?

Liverpooldawg
11-08-2017, 09:53 PM
Yes

Its got tradition

You can only hope.

Liverpooldawg
11-08-2017, 09:58 PM
Y'all just need to listen to Mullen talk when this stuff gets asked. His words have been stronger this year than ever that he is very happy where he is.

Coach34
11-08-2017, 10:01 PM
Y'all just need to listen to Mullen talk when this stuff gets asked. His words have been stronger this year than ever that he is very happy where he is.

I agree with this- I 100% believe he wants to be our coach in 2018 with the team he has built. Built that doesnt mean he couldnt be enticed away

Dawg61
11-08-2017, 10:14 PM
They can beat Mo and Vandy to get to 6-6 and bowl eligible. LSU will be a tough game.

No way they beat Mizzou or LSU. Tennessee has zero offense.

BulldogBear
11-08-2017, 10:18 PM
Official Deja Vu Thread of the week

Tbonewannabe
11-08-2017, 10:48 PM
Yes

Its got tradition

Is 6 mill for possibly 5 years at UT better than 6 mill at a max 4 year with an extension with 6 or more wins at MSU? He would be crazy to go to UT where they are about to fire someone that might still make a bowl game and he just had 2 nine win seasons. The amount of years doesn?t matter unless you get a big buyout set up. Dan has also built his program how he wants to and now is finally benefiting from it. I think it will take 7 or more and then you still play Bama every year. UT won?t be happy paying that amount of money to lose to Saban.

preachermatt83
11-09-2017, 12:22 AM
Slive rule

Quaoarsking
11-09-2017, 12:36 AM
Whatever money Tennessee's going to offer him we can match. I mean, yes they theoretically have deeper pockets, but they're not going to break the bank just for him when there's other good candidates out there they won't have to break the bank for.

The same is true for every other school. If Dan ever leaves us, it won't be because of money.

The Federalist Engineer
11-09-2017, 12:55 AM

If he want's another job and he is a hot national prospect, he could get the Florida or Florida State or Texas A&M or UCLA jobs or wait-a-bit to replace Urban at Ohio State...

Why would he go to a collapsed program, with no in-state recruiting base, where he has zero ties, and very toxic culture? Just saying.

Of course, I'm an MSU person, so I would most prefer he stick with us.

Pollodawg
11-09-2017, 01:03 AM
The real question is is UT willing to do what it takes to get Dan?

Todd4State
11-09-2017, 01:17 AM

Actually that might be a very good fit. Especially given that they have to recruit places other than Tennessee. I'm sure he still has some contacts in Louisiana, Texas, and he has some Big 10 roots that might play well in Ohio and Michigan.

Todd4State
11-09-2017, 01:20 AM
Whatever money Tennessee's going to offer him we can match. I mean, yes they theoretically have deeper pockets, but they're not going to break the bank just for him when there's other good candidates out there they won't have to break the bank for.

The same is true for every other school. If Dan ever leaves us, it won't be because of money.

Exactly. We'll price Dan out for Tennessee. Heck we already pay him more than Tennessee pays Butch. If Dan finishes with 9 wins and a Citrus Bowl or better I wouldn't be shocked if he gets up to the 6 million mark and will most certainly get no less than 4.5-5 million.

Cooterpoot
11-09-2017, 04:55 AM
Dan knows he’s got a great team next year and he knows we’d struggle to find a coach this year with all the jobs open. Plus,TNs not a great place to coach and they aren’t paying Dan crazy money. Dan already makes about $6M total here. TN isn’t about to offer him a blank check. They’ve got money issues there already.

bulldawg28
11-09-2017, 06:17 AM
I agree with this- I 100% believe he wants to be our coach in 2018 with the team he has built. Built that doesnt mean he couldnt be enticed away

Enticed away and your response to the question are two different things. Your stating he wants to leave and gave reasons why, he would or should. Fawk Bama, that's just for you.

Madisonmd
11-09-2017, 07:21 AM
Interesting note, TN gave its football staff 2 yr contracts. So, buy out will include all assistants that are not retained, 13.9 mm! Money is getting tighter in college football and going to get worse. Next round of TV contracts should show networks have lost their ass. Might see contraction in future. A good AD should see this coming.

BulldogBear
11-09-2017, 09:22 AM

Every body in the SEC now has good facilities and sh*tipiles of money. It's not the college football world of 20 years ago or even 8-10 years ago. At some point extra money is just extra money. This paradigm shift is what is plaguing UT. Could they get a better coach than BJ that might produce better results? Sure they can. But their best days are behind them for reasons other than coaching. They're just not attractive enough to recruit effectively enough nationally to be a 10-3 or better team every year like their fanbase expects. It's not a good career formula for a coach like CDM whose already at more or less the same level of success he could probably achieve at UT. But in Volunter country that gets you five years. At MSU it gets you two decades and a statue.

Slive rule

Yep. It's not official. And the pot stirrers around here can use that to prop this narrative up but it's not about football. The schools get along, no matter how passionately their fans and alumni would think otherwise. You start pissing each other off you'll find other stuff you want to happen getting blocked. Here's the summary:

1) There is no Slive Rule
2) There is a "Slive Rule" however

Yes, it's a paradox.

TrapGame
11-09-2017, 09:29 AM
I guess it's mandatory we have at least one of these threads a week.

Hasu Dackds
11-09-2017, 09:29 AM
Would be a terrible hire. He'd be an 8-4 coach there at best. May as well keep Butch.

Tbonewannabe
11-09-2017, 09:49 AM
Would be a terrible hire. He'd be an 8-4 coach there at best. May as well keep Butch.

8-4 would be Bama, UGA, then maybe UF, and OOC or USCe. Dan might hit more 10-2 years at UT than at MSU but he probably isn't more likely to win a National Title. He would also have to start over building his program. I heard an interview with him after Urban left UF. He talked about how Urban never got to enjoy the programs he built because he was leaving when they became good. He said it was tough to start building the foundation at a different school.

I think unless UT throws crazy money at him that he realizes with the AD, President, and fanbase, he actually has one of the better situations in the Power 5 conferences. UT is about to fire a guy who was 9-4 for the last 2 years and isn't even a lock to miss a bowl game this year. Dan got an extension for going 6-7 which doesn't happen in a normal situation. I would think $1 Mill a year isn't worth it especially considering moving your family where they like to live and selling your big ass house that might not sell for several years.

I could be wrong but I just don't see some school giving Dan the amount of money it will take to get him to leave now especially the way we played against UGA and AU. I think Dan is going to have to beat Bama before he even gets those type of calls.

Coach34
11-09-2017, 10:01 AM
Your stating he wants to leave .

I in no way said he wants to leave now.

BB30
11-09-2017, 10:04 AM
8-4 would be Bama, UGA, then maybe UF, and OOC or USCe. Dan might hit more 10-2 years at UT than at MSU but he probably isn't more likely to win a National Title. He would also have to start over building his program. I heard an interview with him after Urban left UF. He talked about how Urban never got to enjoy the programs he built because he was leaving when they became good. He said it was tough to start building the foundation at a different school.

I think unless UT throws crazy money at him that he realizes with the AD, President, and fanbase, he actually has one of the better situations in the Power 5 conferences. UT is about to fire a guy who was 9-4 for the last 2 years and isn't even a lock to miss a bowl game this year. Dan got an extension for going 6-7 which doesn't happen in a normal situation. I would think $1 Mill a year isn't worth it especially considering moving your family where they like to live and selling your big ass house that might not sell for several years.

I could be wrong but I just don't see some school giving Dan the amount of money it will take to get him to leave now especially the way we played against UGA and AU. I think Dan is going to have to beat Bama before he even gets those type of calls.

Even if they offer him 6 we will match it. It isn't like we can't pay him that. Honestly, I think they would have to offer closer to 8-9 before we couldn't/wouldn't match. You have to think about all the revenue and growth Starkville has seen since Dan has been here in large part because we have a good football team more years than not. He is certainly worth us doing what we can financially to keep him for reasons other than football.

He would still have to play Bama every year and possibly play them twice if he made an SECCG plus UGA every year. But, at the end of the day it comes down to what he values and what he sees as his ceiling here vs Tennessee/what his family thinks and wants to do.

Coach34
11-09-2017, 10:06 AM
leave the money part out. That wont be why he leaves if he ever does

Hasu Dackds
11-09-2017, 10:12 AM
leave the money part out. That wont be why he leaves if he ever does

You're wrong. Money would be exactly why he'd leave. If someone had offered him bigger money than us he'd have left by now for the myriad of other jobs with which he flirted, especially after 2015.

Bothrops
11-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Like someone else said, by the time it took Mullen to build that program, they be in another coaching search.

Bothrops
11-09-2017, 10:20 AM
You're wrong. Money would be exactly why he'd leave. If someone had offered him bigger money than us he'd have left by now for the myriad of other jobs with which he flirted, especially after 2015.

Money will never be why he leaves.

DownwardDawg
11-09-2017, 10:24 AM

This is false. If you think he would leave for money then you have zero understanding of the topic.

TrapGame
11-09-2017, 10:25 AM
Mullen's not leaving.

He's invested 9 years building this program and it's just now starting to come to fruition. With om down, us in the spotlight he'd be leaving a sure thing to put out a dumpster fire he'd be thrown into in three years.

Coach34
11-09-2017, 10:29 AM

Actually- I'm not wrong. We are prepared to pay him up to 6MM and nobody is going to pay him more than that. So if he leaves- it wont be money

Bothrops
11-09-2017, 10:33 AM
Mullen's not leaving.

He's invested 9 years building this program and it's just now starting to come to fruition. With om down, us in the spotlight he'd be leaving a sure thing to put out a dumpster fire he'd be thrown into in three years.

It would be a catch your own parachute on the way down move, if he did.

Hasu Dackds
11-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Actually- I'm not wrong. We are prepared to pay him up to 6MM and nobody is going to pay him more than that. So if he leaves- it wont be money

He's not leaving. That is the point. BECAUSE we pay him so much.

If we beat Alabama, and someone dangles 7 or 8 million out there, he'll probably leave.

Dawg61
11-09-2017, 11:23 AM
He's not leaving. That is the point. BECAUSE we pay him so much.

If we beat Alabama, and someone dangles 7 or 8 million out there, he'll probably leave.

The last hurdle for Mullen to make the playoff is having a team capable of beating Bama. He isn't gonna up and leave his program he's built from scratch into a playoff contender once he finally gets it to the point of being able to beat Bama. That's like running 25 miles in the Boston marathon only to leave and drive to New York to run that marathon instead.

Tbonewannabe
11-09-2017, 11:25 AM
Even if they offer him 6 we will match it. It isn't like we can't pay him that. Honestly, I think they would have to offer closer to 8-9 before we couldn't/wouldn't match. You have to think about all the revenue and growth Starkville has seen since Dan has been here in large part because we have a good football team more years than not. He is certainly worth us doing what we can financially to keep him for reasons other than football.

He would still have to play Bama every year and possibly play them twice if he made an SECCG plus UGA every year. But, at the end of the day it comes down to what he values and what he sees as his ceiling here vs Tennessee/what his family thinks and wants to do.

This is the "crazy amount" I was referring to. He is around 15th highest paid in the country and we would probably pay him up to the top 10. If someone wants to pay him Nick Saban money then that is just getting stupid for someone who hasn't won any type of championship yet. He might have a big year next year and do something but this year it isn't happening.

1bigdawg
11-09-2017, 11:58 AM
This is the "crazy amount" I was referring to. He is around 15th highest paid in the country and we would probably pay him up to the top 10. If someone wants to pay him Nick Saban money then that is just getting stupid for someone who hasn't won any type of championship yet. He might have a big year next year and do something but this year it isn't happening.

And you know, if he were to win a championship then he would really have no reason to leave.

RougeDawg
11-09-2017, 12:15 PM

And have gotten stronger since MK urged cheerleader to leave and gave Dan his ultimatums.

Tbonewannabe
11-09-2017, 12:37 PM
And you know, if he were to win a championship then he would really have no reason to leave.

The only reason at that point would be for a double your salary type of position but at that point I would just be appreciative for what he has done. You have some people who develop a love for the program and school and don't worry about the money. Someone like Spurrier or Beamer probably donated back to the school part of their salary anyway after they were very financially stable. I could see Dan being here for the long haul and having the program forever associated with his name. It all depends on what is important to him and his family. Money isn't everything.

Political Hack
11-09-2017, 01:07 PM

Outside of Texas, not many people are going to out pay us if we want to keep him.

UT is honestly one of the worst jobs in the SEC. Outside of Mizzu, it's the worst job in the East.

RougeDawg
11-09-2017, 01:12 PM
It would be a catch your own parachute on the way down move, if he did.

Man, don?t bring any logic or common sense into this. You know most people can?t handle thinking for themselves.

Parker Street
11-09-2017, 06:22 PM
I did not start this thread in order to be a troll. I just stated the fact that UT fans have mentioned Mullen as a coach that UT should consider.

Many Florida fans have also mentioned Mullen as a coach they would like to be hired.

Those fans obviously believe that Coach Mullen is an excellent football coach.

was21
11-09-2017, 07:27 PM
How many are many

Liverpooldawg
11-09-2017, 07:41 PM
I did not start this thread in order to be a troll. I just stated the fact that UT fans have mentioned Mullen as a coach that UT should consider.

Many Florida fans have also mentioned Mullen as a coach they would like to be hired.

Those fans obviously believe that Coach Mullen is an excellent football coach.

Sure, that's why you atRted yet ANOTHER BS thread on this crap.

dogshiek
11-09-2017, 07:57 PM
C'mon man. Everybody knows UT will hire Freeze after the NCAA apologizes to him............................................... .......................

Liverpooldawg
11-09-2017, 08:32 PM
And have gotten stronger since MK urged cheerleader to leave and gave Dan his ultimatums.

They have always been pretty strong. Some here didn't want to listen.

Liverpooldawg
11-09-2017, 08:33 PM
Outside of Texas, not many people are going to out pay us if we want to keep him.

UT is honestly one of the worst jobs in the SEC. Outside of Mizzu, it's the worst job in the East.

I would argue Mizzu is better. The expectations aren't as insane.

TUSK
11-09-2017, 08:38 PM

Why did you choose Texas???

Political Hack
11-09-2017, 09:51 PM
Why did you choose Texas???

Texas will pay $10 million if there convinced the guy will win a natty. I don't know that anyone else will do that.