PDA

View Full Version : LSU Complaining About 11:00 Start Time

ShotgunDawg
11-07-2017, 05:22 PM
This doesn't sit right with me. Playing at night is a significant advantage in recruiting, home field advantage, & building a program. LSU has not played a game before noon in 6 years & only 12 since 1969.

I feel this is relevant due to the recent attendance discussions on this page. Notice Joe Alleva's quote on the SEC helping them out. Why does the SEC help them & not other schools? Seems like unfair BS to me.

It feels to me like between Bama/Tenn, LSU night games, Iron Bowl, Cocktail Party on CBS, UGA/Auburn, etc that the SEC has so many built in traditions that it's become an uphill battle for the other programs to get the same fair chance at building their program as the "tradition" schools are getting.

https://i.imgur.com/r31jgtt.jpg

Todd4State
11-07-2017, 05:23 PM
They just need to get rid of 11AM games period.

Jack Lambert
11-07-2017, 05:24 PM

Or unless things change for the better at LSU they might want to get use to it.

DownwardDawg
11-07-2017, 05:24 PM
Wow. They should be no different than us or anyone else. they need to have 2 home games at 11:00 next year.

And I hope 1 of them is when we play them!

FISHDAWG
11-07-2017, 05:31 PM
and 45% of those games were against us

ShotgunDawg
11-07-2017, 05:31 PM
The entitlement is ridiculous.

I'm sick of the tradition BS all together. Auburn, get your ass over to the East. Tennessee & Bama, sorry it's no longer a rivalry & nobody cares, LSU, you gotta play at 11:00 like everyone else, UGA & Florida, Florida you have to be worth a shit before this game automatically takes the 2:30 time slot, etc......

ShotgunDawg
11-07-2017, 05:32 PM
and 45% of those games were against us

The Croom years were rough

Coursesuper
11-07-2017, 05:35 PM
The entitlement is ridiculous.

I'm sick of the tradition BS all together. Auburn, get your ass over to the East. Tennessee & Bama, sorry it's no longer a rivalry & nobody cares, LSU, you gotta play at 11:00 like everyone else, UGA & Florida, Florida you have to be worth a shit before this game automatically takes the 2:30 time slot, etc......

Here Here

ShotgunDawg
11-07-2017, 05:42 PM
Do you guys think there may be some collusion between the blue bloods to block vote on such things?

If you vote to keep our tradition alive, we'll also support yours?

Liverpooldawg
11-07-2017, 05:44 PM
LSU played at night when nobody else did. They do have a legit claim.

Johnson85
11-07-2017, 05:48 PM

I'm ok with having one 11AM game each week. I like having the game to watch and am ok with the tradeoff of that meaning we occasionally have to play in the 11am games. But they need to cut the favoritism BS. It's such a significant disadvantage for recruiting and attendance, home filed advantage, etc., I wish they would limit it to no more than one home game per year. ESPN should be ok with that as it would mean that 11am time slot would end up with a good matchup every once in a while.

ShotgunDawg
11-07-2017, 05:49 PM
LSU played at night when nobody else did. They do have a legit claim.

So because they played at night first, they deserve all the advantages that come with playing at night while everyone else compensates?

Finders keepers losers weepers?

Just because Bama won at football before others, they deserve to win forever?

Just because Bama & Tenn used to be the SEC's best rivalry, now we should hold onto it & hold back the advancement of he conference?

I would say that these programs have benefited greatly for numerous years due to the tradition & "getting a head start" but in an era where everyone is investing huge money, building top notch facilities, & doing everything in their power to compete, it's time to let some of this stuff go in the name of building a more fair, level, more competitive conference

ShotgunDawg
11-07-2017, 05:52 PM
I'm ok with having one 11AM game each week. I like having the game to watch and am ok with the tradeoff of that meaning we occasionally have to play in the 11am games. But they need to cut the favoritism BS. It's such a significant disadvantage for recruiting and attendance, home filed advantage, etc., I wish they would limit it to no more than one home game per year. ESPN should be ok with that as it would mean that 11am time slot would end up with a good matchup every once in a while.

Great point. I think they should pre-schedule those games prior to the year kind of like the NFL does Monday Night Football or Thursday Night Football.

Just pre-schedule it. I bet if you did that, people would plan better & attendance for those games would increase while TV would also have a game for the 11:00 time slot. It's a win/win & ensures that the 11:00 AM games are evenly distributed across the conference.

Shake 'n Bake
11-07-2017, 05:54 PM
You start knocking out their traditions, they?re coming for ours. Not a huge cowbell proponent but I do think it helps us get pretty damn loud, and would take away from our atmosphere without it.

ShotgunDawg
11-07-2017, 05:57 PM
You start knocking out their traditions, they?re coming for ours. Not a huge cowbell proponent but I do think it helps us get pretty damn loud, and would take away from our atmosphere without it.

I'd gladly give away cowbells for a more balanced conference

Dawg61
11-07-2017, 06:18 PM

This was my initial thought and they will definitely come for them but I think the SEC likes MSU having the cowbells. It separates us in our own way and everyone loves calling us Moo State so I think our bells are safe.

IMissJack
11-07-2017, 06:27 PM
I'll give them night games when we go back to SEC double headers on Saturday for baseball (not that LSU is keeping that from happening). That was our way to have an advantage with the crowds, just like night games are their advantage for crowds in football. Having to play Fr, Sat, Sun has hurt our attendance and affects our crowds probably more than anyone for the weekend, due to small local population.

Liverpooldawg
11-07-2017, 06:50 PM
So because they played at night first, they deserve all the advantages that come with playing at night while everyone else compensates?

Finders keepers losers weepers?

Just because Bama won at football before others, they deserve to win forever?

Just because Bama & Tenn used to be the SEC's best rivalry, now we should hold onto it & hold back the advancement of he conference?

I would say that these programs have benefited greatly for numerous years due to the tradition & "getting a head start" but in an era where everyone is investing huge money, building top notch facilities, & doing everything in their power to compete, it's time to let some of this stuff go in the name of building a more fair, level, more competitive conference

Well....I kind of look at it like I do cowbells.

Liverpooldawg
11-07-2017, 06:51 PM

And you think making LSU play a few day games will do that? It's their tradition, they should be able to keep it.

fader2103
11-07-2017, 06:57 PM
So MSU fans are the only ones that can complain about 11 am starts?

Cooterpoot
11-07-2017, 07:05 PM

We’re one of the few teams with a legit gripe. When we’re a 5 win team, it’s understandable. When we’re top 16 and 4th in the SEC, it’s bullshit. But, life ain’t fair. The SEC is more about tv money than what’s right.

RocketDawg
11-07-2017, 07:09 PM
Do you guys think there may be some collusion between the blue bloods to block vote on such things?

Yes, of course.

Maroonthirteen
11-07-2017, 07:10 PM

I may have heard completely wrong but... I thought I heard Matt Wyatt mention (somewhere on the internet) that sec brass has taken notice of the 11am attendance problems across the conference. I assume that means adjustments may be in the future.

My adjustment is eastern time zone teams should get first look for 11am (noon eastern ) games. Or back the games up to noon/1eastern all together.

RocketDawg
11-07-2017, 07:12 PM
I have no problem with maintaining rivalry traditions to the greatest extent possible. But all the schools should share in the crappy 11 a.m. starting times, and even Thursday night games (there haven't been any of those this season in the SEC, other than our Thanksgiving game coming up). Having night games as a protected tradition is a bit over the top though.

Cooterpoot
And you think making LSU play a few day games will do that? It's their tradition, they should be able to keep it.

TV times aren?t tradition. If they want to skip tv for a night, they should be able to though.

Liverpooldawg
We’re one of the few teams with a legit gripe. When we’re a 5 win team, it’s understandable. When we’re top 16 and 4th in the SEC, it’s bullshit. But, life ain’t fair. The SEC is more about tv money than what’s right.

Bama is playing at 11AM in two weeks.

Liverpooldawg
11-07-2017, 07:13 PM
TV times aren?t tradition. If they want to skip tv for a night, they should be able to though.
They can't.

RocketDawg
11-07-2017, 07:13 PM

I'm one of the few probably but I don't particularly care for the cowbells. I just don't want to see us screwed out of only real tradition while others remain sacrosanct.

Cooterpoot
11-07-2017, 07:15 PM
They can't.

That’s my point.

Mimi's Babies
11-07-2017, 07:18 PM
Everyone should share the 11:00 am games... IF not then go find another conference.....

Leave the Cowbells, alone.... The pictures of your child or grand child ringing their first cowbell is Priceless....

drunkernhelldawg
11-07-2017, 07:28 PM

Not with them televising every game. 11 a.m. is just another start time in college football today. The advantage is that your game is over early enough for you to enjoy all the others. I sort of wish we'd gotten 11 a.m. as I know that Bama is not used to playing early. We are. Don't get me wrong; I'm happy we got the night game. It's just that I think an early start would have hurt them more than it would have hurt us.

Lord McBuckethead
11-07-2017, 07:30 PM
One 11 o'clock home game a year is no big deal. Get over yourselves LSU. Win more games and that shit wouldn't happen.

TUSK
11-07-2017, 07:33 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing schools given the option of
A) 11am kick on TV or
B) No TV and kick whenever you like

Most 11am games aren't really that compelling to me, either....

ShotgunDawg
11-07-2017, 07:39 PM
Again, Just prescedule them.

Just like Thursday games or MNF

sleepy dawg
11-07-2017, 07:43 PM
Most of LSU's pre-noon games are against MSU.

ShotgunDawg
11-07-2017, 07:47 PM
Most of LSU's pre-noon games are against MSU.

In the Croom era

maroonmania
11-07-2017, 07:55 PM

Well should sure get rid of them if they are going to fight for some schools not to have to play them. For the LSU AD to make such a big deal publicly about it when they have been made to play so few of them over the years just emphasizes the problem. WHO wants to play 11am games? NOBODY.

bulldogcountry1
11-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Only about half the conference even has to worry about 11AM games because the rest are in the eastern time zone. Those are at 12PM local time. They either need to push it back to 12PM local for everyone or make the eastern time zone teams carry the load. I think one hour would make a big difference for a fan base like ours.

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-07-2017, 08:01 PM
I just looked at this years schedule. I gave each team one 11:00 start. Of the 13 week schedule, I had to match two SEC teams against each other only twice. With a little planning ahead I'm sure they could schedule where out of conference made up the 11:00 kicks. I'm sure every school would rather play say a UMass at 11 instead of an Alabama in our case.

9/2 Ga/App St.
9/9 OM/U.T. Martin
9/16 Aub/Mercer
9/23 Tn/UMass
9/30 LSU/Troy (Sorry LSU; you lost)
10/7 Ky/Mo.
10/14 MSU/BYU
10/21 Mo/Idaho
10/28 Vy/So. Carolina
11/4 Ark/Co. Carolina
11/11 A&M/New Mexico
11/18 Ala/Mercer
11/25 Fla/Fla. St.

This covers all 13 weekends and gives each school one 11:00 start. Why would this be so hard?

drunkernhelldawg
11-07-2017, 08:11 PM
I just looked at this years schedule. I gave each team one 11:00 start. Of the 13 week schedule, I had to match two SEC teams against each other only twice. With a little planning ahead I'm sure they could schedule where out of conference made up the 11:00 kicks. I'm sure every school would rather play say a UMass at 11 instead of an Alabama in our case.

9/2 Ga/App St.
9/9 OM/U.T. Martin
9/16 Aub/Mercer
9/23 Tn/UMass
10/7 Ky/Mo.
10/14 MSU/BYU
10/21 Mo/Idaho
10/28 Vy/So. Carolina
11/4 Ark/Co. Carolina
11/11 A&M/New Mexico
11/18 Ala/Mercer
11/25 Fla/Fla. St.

This covers all 13 weekends and gives each school one 11:00 start. Why would this be so hard?

Excellent except for the last one.

TheDawgiLama
11-07-2017, 08:12 PM
In the Croom era

You need to check your dates. Half of those 4 were during the Sherill era.

Homedawg
11-07-2017, 08:16 PM

It's not favoritism, it's called business and dollars. Sorry that we don't draw as many tv eyes as most of the league. It's really hard to complain when fact is, us, vandy, and ole miss are nothing but welfare participants in the league. I know that won't be well received, but it's true. The sec doesn't have the tv contract we have because of us. And you can add ark and a couple of others if you wish, that's fine. We get an equal share and I'm thankful, and playing at 11 is part of it to help keep us competive.

Homedawg
11-07-2017, 08:19 PM
A) 11am kick on TV or

And when you take option b don't get paid? I'm sure bama might like that but most of us wouldn't. Thus, 11 is fine.

Coach34
11-07-2017, 08:19 PM

Think? Hell I know there is

Homedawg
11-07-2017, 08:21 PM

How do you propose it's more balanced? Bama gives everyone 1/14 of their players? Nothing like everyone gets a trophy.

Homedawg
11-07-2017, 08:26 PM

9/2 Ga/App St.
9/9 OM/U.T. Martin
9/16 Aub/Mercer
9/23 Tn/UMass
10/7 Ky/Mo.
10/14 MSU/BYU
10/21 Mo/Idaho
10/28 Vy/So. Carolina
11/4 Ark/Co. Carolina
11/11 A&M/New Mexico
11/18 Ala/Mercer
11/25 Fla/Fla. St.

Well thought out until the fla fsu at 11. So one of the best rivalries with tv at 12 eastern? Um just no

TUSK
11-07-2017, 09:23 PM
It's not favoritism, it's called business and dollars. Sorry that we don't draw as many tv eyes as most of the league. It's really hard to complain when fact is, us, vandy, and ole miss are nothing but welfare participants in the league. I know that won't be well received, but it's true. The sec doesn't have the tv contract we have because of us. And you can add ark and a couple of others if you wish, that's fine. We get an equal share and I'm thankful, and playing at 11 is part of it to help keep us competive.

truth.

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-07-2017, 09:26 PM
Well thought out until the fla fsu at 11. So one of the best rivalries with tv at 12 eastern? Um just no

Well, I did put this together after the schedules were already made. Not bad trying to fit 14 teams into 13 weekends. My point is that with a little effort BEFORE the schedules are made, that it would be doable.

fishwater99
11-07-2017, 10:11 PM
Guess his phone call didn't get it changed.. **** LSU...

Behrdawg
11-07-2017, 11:54 PM
11am games should be reserved for out of conference road games for all of the SEC schools. Think about it. The SEC network could easily control this.

BulldogBear
11-08-2017, 07:49 AM
Nothing to see here. If the chips fall and you're stuck at 1100 then suck it up buttercup and get over it. If we have to then then those rarely fall at that hour (looking at you purple and gold kittens) dang sure do. I like the idea of prescheduling one per Saturday though. I think. It would probably mean less 1100 for us but could mean never for 1100 for 5-6 schools.

Gutter Cobreh
11-08-2017, 08:50 AM

Thanks for bringing some objective thinking to this thread. The hypocrisy of some is truly hilarious, yet sad because of the chips some carry around daily.

As a side, trading cowbells in so other teams have to play an 11:00 football game is asinine.

MSUdawg7
11-08-2017, 09:05 AM
A) 11am kick on TV or

Not compelling to you? When is the last time Bama EVER had to play an 11:00 am game? Like NEVER???

Political Hack
11-08-2017, 09:43 AM
I'm with a shotgun here

East vs West permanent opp
Florida vs LSU
UGA vs A&M
Auburn vs Bama
Vandy vs Ole Miss
Tenn vs Mizzu
S.C. vs Ark
UK vs State

Liverpooldawg
11-08-2017, 09:45 AM
11am games should be reserved for out of conference road games for all of the SEC schools. Think about it. The SEC network could easily control this.

No they can’t. Road games fall with the home team’s TV package. ESPN is already accused of being PRO SEC because of the SEC Network. They aren’t going to do that even where they do have the home teams package.

Liverpooldawg
11-08-2017, 09:46 AM
Not compelling to you? When is the last time Bama EVER had to play an 11:00 am game? Like NEVER???

They play one next week. I think they have already had one this year too.

Liverpooldawg
11-08-2017, 09:48 AM
That?s my point.

So accommodate their tradition. They have accommodated ours.

BulldogBear
11-08-2017, 10:12 AM
They play one next week. I think they have already had one this year too.

They usually seem to play at least one of their early season cupcake home games at 1100 also.

TUSK
11-08-2017, 10:15 AM

3 posts?

Post less.

louisvilledawg
11-08-2017, 10:22 AM
The 2 years under croom scores tho <<<<<<

https://media.giphy.com/media/dOl2LFw0RbTMc/giphy.gif

BrunswickDawg
11-08-2017, 10:39 AM

9/2 Ga/App St.
9/9 OM/U.T. Martin
9/16 Aub/Mercer
9/23 Tn/UMass
10/7 Ky/Mo.
10/14 MSU/BYU
10/21 Mo/Idaho
10/28 Vy/So. Carolina
11/4 Ark/Co. Carolina
11/11 A&M/New Mexico
11/18 Ala/Mercer
11/25 Fla/Fla. St.

One flaw in this plan (besides FSU/UF) - UGA, TN, SC, KY and UF are all Eastern Time Zone. So any game you have assigned to those sites as an 11:00 is actually a 12:00. It's kicking at 11:00 that is the problem, and the Central schools are the ones who have had to deal with it.

ShotgunDawg
11-08-2017, 10:49 AM
One flaw in this plan (besides FSU/UF) - UGA, TN, SC, KY and UF are all Eastern Time Zone. So any game you have assigned to those sites as an 11:00 is actually a 12:00. It's kicking at 11:00 that is the problem, and the Central schools are the ones who have had to deal with it.

Agree. That extra hour is huge.

Most NFL games kick at noon so that's not an unprecedented issue. It's the 11:00 AM games for CST teams.

BrunswickDawg
11-08-2017, 11:08 AM
Agree. That extra hour is huge.

Most NFL games kick at noon so that's not an unprecedented issue. It's the 11:00 AM games for CST teams.

Maybe I am remembering wrong - but, I seem to remember going to many 12:00 or 1:00 kickoffs in the 90s.

ShotgunDawg
11-08-2017, 11:11 AM
Maybe I am remembering wrong - but, I seem to remember going to many 12:00 or 1:00 kickoffs in the 90s.

Hell, even the difference between an 11:30 Jefferson Pilot game vs the 11:00 game was a huge difference.

There is a reason the NFL only plays morning games in London.