PDA

View Full Version : What WR Will Step Up Vs Bama?

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2017, 09:13 AM
We gonna need 1 or 2 WRs to step up and make a few plays down the field vs Bama.

I know it's not their fault but it's extremely frustrating how banged up Gray and Myles have been this year with an already depleated WR core, and both will be out vs Bama.

It looks like Mixon will be back but that only leaves Todd, Couch, Mixon, J Thomas, Thomas, and Jesse Jackson as potential play makers. Ugh.

Which one of these guys can do anything vs Bama?

Crazy how bad this group is and that Billy G still has a job for essentially neglecting the talent of his position group.

Tbonewannabe
11-06-2017, 09:26 AM
Todd has the speed if he can catch and run good routes. It would have been tough to go against Bama with a healthy team but our WRs (with and without the injuries) make it almost impossible. Bama will man up and load the box which is what everyone should do until we hit passes downfield. Our only real chance is for the defense to keep it close and Fitz to somehow break a couple for TDs. There is almost no chance that we can have 8 - 10 play drives on their defense. We will have to hit some big plays which our passing game just doesn't do. Our defense needs to get some turnovers or our punt and kickoff somehow get us some field position. If we consistently start at the 25 then we might not score double digits unless we break one for 50 - 60 yards.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2017, 09:29 AM
Todd has the speed if he can catch and run good routes. It would have been tough to go against Bama with a healthy team but our WRs (with and without the injuries) make it almost impossible. Bama will man up and load the box which is what everyone should do until we hit passes downfield. Our only real chance is for the defense to keep it close and Fitz to somehow break a couple for TDs. There is almost no chance that we can have 8 - 10 play drives on their defense. We will have to hit some big plays which our passing game just doesn't do. Our defense needs to get some turnovers or our punt and kickoff somehow get us some field position. If we consistently start at the 25 then we might not score double digits unless we break one for 50 - 60 yards.

Hard to disagree.

Amazing how one complete albatross at a position can sabatoge the entire ceiling of a team

archdawg
11-06-2017, 09:43 AM
Not sure if it is lack of confidence in our receivers or the play calling, but I feel like we rarely take shots down field at all. We need to give these guys an opportunity to step up and not just try once, fail, and give up.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2017, 09:46 AM
Not sure if it is lack of confidence in our receivers or the play calling, but I feel like we rarely take shots down field at all. We need to give these guys an opportunity to step up and not just try once, fail, and give up.

Well... when they don't fight for the ball, it's difficult to have much confidence

Cary Hudson's little bro
11-06-2017, 10:00 AM
Sure wish Mullen had AJ Brown...if they had never cheated to get Treadwell then AJ wouldn't fallen in love with him. not the only reason we didn't get him, but he would help so much with Bama DB's.

RougeDawg
11-06-2017, 10:04 AM
Well... when they don't fight for the ball, it's difficult to have much confidence

This. Almost every team, good and bad, this past Saturday on tv had receivers that went to the ball and fought for It like they wanted it. We sit back and wait for the ball to come to us and rarely adjust routes as the ball is in the air . Not sure it can be corrected at this point.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2017, 10:08 AM
This. Almost every team, good and bad, this past Saturday on tv had receivers that went to the ball and fought for It like they wanted it. We sit back and wait for the ball to come to us and rarely adjust routes as the ball is in the air . Not sure it can be corrected at this point.

This is my biggest disappointment with that group.

Hey... sometimes you can't control talent level. Sometimes the recruiting stars don't align for you. Frustrating but I get it.

However, that group doesn't fight for the football. They lack aggression and simply don't play as hard as they should.

At very least against Bama, let's draw some offensive pass interference penalties and show we are trying.

yjnkdawg
11-06-2017, 10:19 AM
This is my biggest disappointment with that group.

Hey... sometimes you can't control talent level. Sometimes the recruiting stars don't align for you. Frustrating but I get it.

However, that group doesn't fight for the football. They lack aggression and simply don't play as hard as they should.

At very least against Bama, let's draw some offensive pass interference penalties and show we are trying.

Not to promote OM, but I wish our wrs would look at their receivers on how they fight for the 50/50 balls and have the mentality that any ball thrown their way is their ball. Not the same receivers, but could be the same pholosophy.

archdawg
11-06-2017, 10:22 AM
Don't disagree at all - I personally don't have much confidence in these guys - but I'd still like to see us take a few more shots, if for no other reason than to keep the defense from loading the box every play. Rouge makes a good point though, may just be too late at this point.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2017, 10:24 AM
Not to promote OM, but I wish our wrs would look at their receivers on how they fight for the 50/50 balls and have the mentality that any ball thrown their way is their ball. Not the same receivers, but could be the same pholosophy.

Agree. Again, I have no clue how Billy G still has a job.

That group plays with ZERO swagger, confidence, or edge. They carry themselves and play like they know they are the worst players in the field. Just happy to be there. Coffee runners.

As much as we get frustrated with Hev, at least he can coach. What can Billy G do? His unit is consistently not ready to play.

Will be funny to watch how the Bama DBs just throw around our WRs Sat night. It ain't gonna be pretty out there. It's gonna look like Billy Madison playing dodge ball vs 1st graders

tcdog70
11-06-2017, 10:27 AM
Wait --what about Osaris Mitchell?***

Liverpooldawg

We only see the games. Do you think that might be attempting that in practice and there might be a reason we don’t do it much in the games?

deltadawg99
I think Jordan Thomas could be a real difference maker in this game. Their LBs are banged up and he is a mismatch.

Mitchell has a good catch on the 4th down conversion, so hopefully we’ll get him more involved.

We’re going to have to make some plays in the passing game further then 5 yards down the field because bama is going oFriday have the box stacked.

Liverpooldawg
11-06-2017, 10:28 AM
Sure wish Mullen had AJ Brown...if they had never cheated to get Treadwell then AJ wouldn't fallen in love with him. not the only reason we didn't get him, but he would help so much with Bama DB's.

One more time: We were never gettin AJ Brown. It wasn’t between us and Ole Miss.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2017, 10:28 AM
I think Jordan Thomas could be a real difference maker in this game. Their LBs are banged up and he is a mismatch.

Mitchell has a good catch on the 4th down conversion, so hopefully we’ll get him more involved.

We’re going to have to make some plays in the passing game further then 5 yards down the field because bama is going oFriday have the box stacked.

Thomas' size will allow him to convert a few 3rd downs, but he can't make them nervous in the backend. Does little to stretch them.

parabrave
11-06-2017, 10:52 AM

Thomas is going to have to use his size Saturday for us to move the ball effectively.

Tbonewannabe
11-06-2017, 11:05 AM

Bear was awesome at fighting for the ball. He might not have had elite speed or great route running but he was sure the hell coming down with the ball if he got hands on it. Fred Ross was pretty good until his senior year at fighting for it also. Our recruiting was asleep at the wheel when it came to WRs for the last few years.

yjnkdawg
11-06-2017, 11:06 AM
Agree. Again, I have no clue how Billy G still has a job.

That group plays with ZERO swagger, confidence, or edge. They carry themselves and play like they know they are the worst players in the field. Just happy to be there. Coffee runners.

As much as we get frustrated with Hev, at least he can coach. What can Billy G do? His unit is consistently not ready to play.

Will be funny to watch how the Bama DBs just throw around our WRs Sat night. It ain't gonna be pretty out there. It's gonna look like Billy Madison playing dodge ball vs 1st graders

Some DB's know how to be right on that fine line between it being a great defensive play or pass interference. It is pass interference in the eyes of the opposition, but in the eyes of the referees it is not. Bama has those types of DBs. So, yeah it will be interesting.

msudawglb
11-06-2017, 11:23 AM
Bear was awesome at fighting for the ball. He might not have had elite speed or great route running but he was sure the hell coming down with the ball if he got hands on it. Fred Ross was pretty good until his senior year at fighting for it also. Our recruiting was asleep at the wheel when it came to WRs for the last few years.

This made me laugh. If Bear got his hands on the ball, it was usually after it bounced off his chest. He did use his body well, but he never used his hands. That's why he never got drafted.

I do think that we should use our TE's, Thomas, and Mixon as much as possible to have any sort of chance at running the ball.

Cooterpoot
11-06-2017, 11:42 AM
Add Couch to the banged up. He'll play but he's about 75%.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2017, 11:55 AM
Amazing how the smallest, most unathletic position group on the team continues to get injured. What a pathetic group

BuckyIsAB****
11-06-2017, 12:04 PM
Jesus. Now our WR's have given up and dont even try anymore. If only those damn fans would show up maybe they would

Leroy Jenkins
11-06-2017, 12:49 PM
It’s a WR Corps. Not core. A core is the center of something like the earth or an Apple. A Corps is a group of people with a common occupation.

Sacrifice
11-06-2017, 12:52 PM
Our TEs could hurt Bama, Green and Johnson. Now I don?t know if we?ll use them or not but I think their our best receivers.

Johnson85
11-06-2017, 01:06 PM
Don't disagree at all - I personally don't have much confidence in these guys - but I'd still like to see us take a few more shots, if for no other reason than to keep the defense from loading the box every play. Rouge makes a good point though, may just be too late at this point.

To keep them from loading the box, you actually have to make them pay. Our problem is our receivers can't create any space. Pretty much only happens when the DBs get sucked in or we create some kind of confusion in their coverage. Even if that happens, there's a good chance that the throw will not be perfect, which will allow the DBs to recover (in which case our WRs aren't going to come down with anything close to a 50-50 ball) or allows the DBs to get to the WRs right as or right after the catch is made, in which case it's likely they'll be able to rip the ball away before they can secure the ball.

What we really need to do against Bama is catch a ball or two in stride and break off a 40-50 yd reception if not a long TD reception. I just don't think we can do that.

So we're going to have to move the ball on the ground against a loaded box and then use Jordan Thomas a lot in the passing game to give a little big of breathing room. I think that's doable, but it's incredibly hard to have long sustained drives going that route against a Bama D. Just requires long stretches of mistake free ball that not many college teams are going to be able to do with any consistency. But it does happen, so there is a very small, Dubm and Dumber style chance.

Johnson85
11-06-2017, 01:08 PM
This made me laugh. If Bear got his hands on the ball, it was usually after it bounced off his chest. He did use his body well, but he never used his hands. That's why he never got drafted.

I do think that we should use our TE's, Thomas, and Mixon as much as possible to have any sort of chance at running the ball.

It's amazing what our fans remember or don't. Bear certainly would trap some balls, especially on a slant or post, but he also used his hands. Basically what you would expect for a talented guy that started focusing on football late.

basedog
11-06-2017, 01:26 PM
We are 7-2 and are doing better than predicted, guys are hurt and y'all are bitching about the same ole thing every week!

It is what is, the offense is or has not been nor will be this year a big play offense. It's a grind it several play drive and it's been very successful in wearing down defenses and keep our defense fresh!

Nothing will change this year, get over it as for as the receivers. Ball control is the key Saturday, no mistakes, no penalties and we have a chance.

Just saying

cuspid
11-06-2017, 01:40 PM
What’s wrong with couch I noticed him not playing much Saturday

Tbonewannabe
11-06-2017, 01:40 PM
It's amazing what our fans remember or don't. Bear certainly would trap some balls, especially on a slant or post, but he also used his hands. Basically what you would expect for a talented guy that started focusing on football late.

I remember watching the draft combine and Bear's actual pass catching was better than Treadwell. He used his body for positioning better than most of the WRs in the SEC that year. If Jordan Thomas could do that then he would be a redzone TD machine.

Tbonewannabe
11-06-2017, 01:43 PM
We are 7-2 and are doing better than predicted, guys are hurt and y'all are bitching about the same ole thing every week!

It is what is, the offense is or has not been nor will be this year a big play offense. It's a grind it several play drive and it's been very successful in wearing down defenses and keep our defense fresh!

Nothing will change this year, get over it as for as the receivers. Ball control is the key Saturday, no mistakes, no penalties and we have a chance.

Just saying

The problem is Bama is built to stop that kind of offense. Similar to how UGA would let us complete the 3-4 yard pass then drop us. Bama's depth allows them to keep everyone fresh and actually wear out the offense. Their injuries could help us on Saturday since part of that depth is gone.

bluelightstar
11-06-2017, 01:47 PM

Just saying

There are not many teams that have beaten Alabama recently, but I feel quite confident in guessing that none of the ones who did are "ball control" offenses (off the top of my head, Ole Miss 2x; Manziel at A&M; Baker Mayfield at Oklahoma; DeShaun Watson at Clemson). That is not the key. We absolutely will have to hit some big plays, because long, grind-it-out drives are not going to happen. The only way ball control works is if we score first, get a defensive/special teams TD and try to play keep-away for the rest of the game.

basedog
11-06-2017, 01:55 PM
There are not many teams that have beaten Alabama recently, but I feel quite confident in guessing that none of the ones who did are "ball control" offenses (off the top of my head, Ole Miss 2x; Manziel at A&M; Baker Mayfield at Oklahoma; DeShaun Watson at Clemson). That is not the key. We absolutely will have to hit some big plays, because long, grind-it-out drives are not going to happen. The only way ball control works is if we score first, get a defensive/special teams TD and try to play keep-away for the rest of the game.

Well we ain't gonna beat them with long passes either. Turnovers could be key, but we have to run the ball, it's our offense, play defense and don't give up the big play. Fitz is our big play guy, anything can happen Saturday and I bet our team aren't intimated against Bama. We are as physical as they this year, yes they have more talent but that ain't always the reason teams win.

All I'm saying is we have as good of chance of beating those shit heads as anyone has this year. Sometime their so call dynasty will end, why not Msu playing a part?