PDA

View Full Version : What Are the Odds Matt Luke Gets the OM Job?

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2017, 09:02 AM
Just thinking about this.

Ole Miss will go through a coaching search and, with all the open jobs + Ole Miss' sanctions, I just think they will be so far down the pecking order of coaching destinations that their best move will be to give Luke a 3 year, 1.5 mil per year deal, and let him guide them through probation.

Seriously, with where they will be picking in the coaching pecking order, why get yourself into a long term relationship with a coach you really weren't crazy about getting in the first place? After 3 years, Luke may turn into a decent coach and, if not, your job will be more desirable.

With Luke, I see a coach that wants to be there, runs Freeze's offense which works for them, and gets that team to play hard. The odds of OM's 5th choice of head coach being able to do all that is next to nothing.

Odd topic, but OM will go through a coaching search, as they should & I think Matt Luke should be their guy.

Drugdog
11-06-2017, 09:04 AM
1-5%.

Jack Lambert
11-06-2017, 09:04 AM
I give 0% chance.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2017, 09:05 AM
1-5%.

I get that's the perception, but who else will they hire? Sumlin?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-06-2017, 09:12 AM
Beat ULL & A&M 50%. Beat 1 of them & MSU 100%

Todd4State
11-06-2017, 09:13 AM
I get that's the perception, but who else will they hire? Sumlin?

Jay Hopson.

TrapGame
11-06-2017, 09:17 AM
Beat ULL & A&M 50%. Beat 1 of them & MSU 100%

This.

If he wins out then he's got the job.

Ari Gold
11-06-2017, 09:25 AM
They may not have a choice.. He may get the job be default.

I seen it dawg
11-06-2017, 09:51 AM
Torbush is out of coaching and doubt Nutt would take it. I’m calling 87%

Cooterpoot
11-06-2017, 09:54 AM
More than likely, Frank Wilson.

TrapGame
11-06-2017, 09:55 AM
Chizik may talk his way into it. The way he's been blowing them lately on SECN it seems pretty obvious.

Dawgface
11-06-2017, 09:57 AM
If everyone turns them down and Luke gets no show cause odds are in his favor. Hopson would probably take it tho.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2017, 10:01 AM

So they are trying to get the NCAA back on campus?

1bigdawg
11-06-2017, 10:04 AM
If Luke's recruiting were better this year then I believe he would have the inside shot. We all know how much they care about recruiting. Because of that, I believe Frank Wilson will end up there. He is a great recruiter whether he can coach or not. I believe they will think that they are not going to win a lot the next few years anyway so they might as well hire a coach who will leave a talented group for the next coach.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2017, 10:10 AM
If Luke's recruiting were better this year then I believe he would have the inside shot. We all know how much they care about recruiting. Because of that, I believe Frank Wilson will end up there. He is a great recruiter whether he can coach or not. I believe they will think that they are not going to win a lot the next few years anyway so they might as well hire a coach who will leave a talented group for the next coach.

How could anyone possibly recruit under their current circumstances?

Wilson may or may not be a great recruiter but he's a cheater. He would put them right back in front of the COI. Would be a terrible hire IMO

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-06-2017, 10:18 AM

Wilson may or may not be a great recruiter but he's a cheater. He would put them right back in front of the COI. Would be a terrible hire IMO

I'm fine with this.

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-06-2017, 10:39 AM
I think the reason Djork went ahead and got the search firm going is to judge the interest in the coaches they are interested in and think they could possibly get. They couldn't afford to wait to judge the interest. I'm sure they are laying out all options regarding the extent of the penalties and seeing if anyone is interested at all. If nobody is interested, you will know pretty quickly after the egg bowl as they name the dough boy the head man. If there is interest, you probably won't hear anything too quickly. All will depend on when sanctions are handed down as well.

yjnkdawg
11-06-2017, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=Dawgface;830805]If everyone turns them down and Luke gets no show cause odds are in his favor. Hopson would probably take it tho.[/QUOTE

If offered, I would imagine Hopson would take it. Former OM player and coach, coaching inthe SEC, and the huge difference in salary from what USM pays.

Johnson85
11-06-2017, 11:00 AM
Just thinking about this.

Ole Miss will go through a coaching search and, with all the open jobs + Ole Miss' sanctions, I just think they will be so far down the pecking order of coaching destinations that their best move will be to give Luke a 3 year, 1.5 mil per year deal, and let him guide them through probation.

Seriously, with where they will be picking in the coaching pecking order, why get yourself into a long term relationship with a coach you really weren't crazy about getting in the first place? After 3 years, Luke may turn into a decent coach and, if not, your job will be more desirable.

With Luke, I see a coach that wants to be there, runs Freeze's offense which works for them, and gets that team to play hard. The odds of OM's 5th choice of head coach being able to do all that is next to nothing.

Odd topic, but OM will go through a coaching search, as they should & I think Matt Luke should be their guy.

Why? Because they have an incredible track record recently of doing exactly the opposite of the smart thing, and there's no reason to expect them to change.

Matt Luke should get the job 100% if they beat A&M and ULL. If he just beats ULL, then he should get serious consideration depending on what other interest they get and what they have to pay.

If they can get Frank WIlson to come for $1.4M a year, then somebody like him probably makes sense (ignoring the issue of recruiting in a way that would potentially get them in front of the COI before probation is over).

But if they are going to have to pay $3M to get a coach like him or somebody similarly well down the pecking order that demands a fat check to take a potentially career ending job, then they should just stick with Matt Luke for $1.4 with a minimal buyout.

But the reality is their pride is not going to let them take Matt Luke unless he at minimum wins against ULL and A&M, and maybe not even then.

I seen it dawg
11-06-2017, 11:03 AM
Any “name” coach will avoid that dumpster fire. A fire that’s not going out for at least a decade. **** those shitbirds.

parabrave
11-06-2017, 11:04 AM
They may not have a choice.. He may get the job be default.

This or Croom. If they want a big name coach they are going to have to give the guy a minimum 8 year contract and total control over the program. That isn't happening. Either Luke or dig up Vaught and Bruiser. However if they name Luke the faithful will revolt.

1bigdawg
11-06-2017, 11:08 AM

You nailed it. the only way they will be able to recruit is with a great recruiter (cheater). Wilson fits that profile. Even after all their NCAA problems, they believe it was incompetence at cheating that got them caught (and evil Dan Mullen). So they believe they can just be more careful with a Wilson and come out ahead in the long run.

I seen it dawg
11-06-2017, 11:18 AM
Luke bc he’s in-network

TUSK
11-06-2017, 11:34 AM
Luke bc he’s in-network

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to I seen it dawg again.

Dawgtini
11-06-2017, 12:09 PM
Luke bc he’s in-network

Ditto....what Tusk said..

Bothrops
11-06-2017, 12:34 PM
It would be very un-Ole Miss like for them to give Matt Luke the job, but they won't have a choice. After sanctions, their aspirations will be dashed. Luke will likely have it through the rough period, or until he bombs out completely. If not, they could be stuck with him for a while.

BiscuitEater
11-06-2017, 12:36 PM

Wilson and Bucky from the same Coach O 'learn how to cheat school.'

Spiderman
11-06-2017, 02:14 PM
Luke bc he’s in-network

yep, and if he can beat State, I think they keep him

Drugs Delaney
11-06-2017, 02:26 PM
He did out coach Stoops

The Federalist Engineer