PDA

View Full Version : WMD's Armchair QB: Tough One Edition

War Machine Dawg
11-05-2017, 10:10 PM
Peeps, the Tough One Edition of Armchair QB is available at M&W Blog (https://mwbulldogs.wordpress.com/2017/11/06/wmds-armchair-qb-tough-one-edition/). <----- Click There I imagine I'll be roasted pretty good for my opinions, but I've always called it like I see it. We got a tough W, now let's move on to Bama.

Bucky Dog
11-05-2017, 10:54 PM
Good write up. I agree with your opinion of the Abram hit. While the helmet to helmet contact may have occurred, he was making a play and had his head down, and it looked as though the QB ducked as he threw to try and absorb the hit, and therefore initiated the contact in his ear hole! That's the part that needs to have some changes and clarity, and if you don't agree then how did the SEC officials get to take away targeting from UT last night when their explanation was the DB was already in tackling mode with no intent to hit the head but the helmet to helmet was caused by the USM player sliding down?

Also, right on with the fan excuse making and the students. I'm not buying how people say they can't come because it's at 11:00. If you live 3-4 hours away as some do, you can wake up at 6 like a normal work day and make the drive and hang for a little after the game. But hey I do get that if you are driving from the coast and such, but the fans that live around Jackson or within 2 hours of campus need to go. And like WMD said, if you can't go for sure then give the tickets away to someone to put a butt in the seats. We are only going to raise the bar with our players and program, if we do our part and raise the bar ourselves. Pack the stadium Saturday, Hail State and beat Bama!

thf24
11-06-2017, 08:47 AM
I think the targeting rule is a necessary step in preserving the health of the guys who go on to make a career out of playing football, and that it's better to err on the side of caution and be liberal with the initial flag, but it occurred to me last night that they really need to amend it in regards to who actually causes the illegal contact. The rule says nothing about that right now; if you launch and hit a passer or defenseless player helmet-to-helmet, you're out, period. I think part of the review process must include judging whether the contact was purely on the defender, or if the offensive player made some last-second movement that caused it. Otherwise, you're going to start seeing more and more QB's and WR's intentionally ducking to try to draw a targeting penalty from a good tackle, which will cause the rule to have the complete opposite effect as far as safety is concerned.

As far as Abram's hit, I think it was a fair call as the rule currently reads. Only problem was that he didn't launch, but the contact itself is the exact type that they're looking for when they make that call. Far less deserving hits routinely get called for targeting, hence the rule needs to be revisited and amended in several ways.

War Machine Dawg
11-06-2017, 11:50 AM
Shameless bump

War Machine Dawg
11-06-2017, 09:49 PM
Shameless final Monday night bump