PDA

View Full Version : A&M rumblings... Sumlin may be toast...

TUSK
11-05-2017, 06:49 PM
not that this is a great shock...

https://thereadoptional.com/sources-texas-a-m-preparing-to-move-on-from-kevin-sumlin-4d06a92776e9

Reason2succeed
11-05-2017, 06:52 PM
Fake news*

RocketDawg
11-05-2017, 06:53 PM
Another possibility for the BearSharks opens up. They already think they can get Charlie Strong.

Leroy Jenkins
11-05-2017, 06:57 PM
Another possibility for the BearSharks opens up. They already think they can get Charlie Strong.

If Sumlin can’t win with the resources at aTm, he ain’t winning anywhere in the SEC. Back to Houston I guess.

Hasu Dackds
11-05-2017, 07:18 PM
If Sumlin can’t win with the resources at aTm, he ain’t winning anywhere in the SEC. Back to Houston I guess.

It's not all about resources. Sometimes guys aren't good fits. Plus, if it was about money, where has Texas A&M been for the past 100 years?

Quaoarsking
11-05-2017, 07:27 PM
Sumlin to Kansas?

Commercecomet24
11-05-2017, 07:30 PM
Sumlins a big 12 coach. No defense required in that league.

HaggardDawg
11-05-2017, 07:35 PM
Some may disagree but I don?t think Sumlin is a bad coach. Sometimes, it?s just not a good fit. Rich Rod was awesome at WV. He didn?t forget how to coach at Michigan. It just wasn?t a good fit. Just because s coach is good at a ?non blue blood school? doesn?t mean they?ll be great at a blue blood school. See butch jones, McElwain, Sumlin, etc.

This applies to Mullen. He may would be great at UF, UT, USC, etc. Or he may be terrible at those places. There?s only been one coach I can remember that had been great everywhere he?s been and that is Saban, and he sucked with the Dolphins.

Honestly, Sumlin might be great at MSU or OM with the right staff.

Maroonthirteen
11-05-2017, 07:46 PM
It's not all about resources. Sometimes guys aren't good fits. Plus, if it was about money, where has Texas A&M been for the past 100 years?

aTm has never won big. I'm sure they have a lot of money but they've never had much of a football program outside the Jackie years and Bear Bryant 100 years ago. They have a losing record against pretty much every blue blood of the SWC and Big12.

They can hire and fire all they want. The culture there just isn't very attractive to some
People. Most people probably, with other options.

Really Clark?
11-05-2017, 07:50 PM
Some may disagree but I don?t think Sumlin is a bad coach. Sometimes, it?s just not a good fit. Rich Rod was awesome at WV. He didn?t forget how to coach at Michigan. It just wasn?t a good fit. Just because s coach is good at a ?non blue blood school? doesn?t mean they?ll be great at a blue blood school. See butch jones, McElwain, Sumlin, etc.

This applies to Mullen. He may would be great at UF, UT, USC, etc. Or he may be terrible at those places. There?s only been one coach I can remember that had been great everywhere he?s been and that is Saban, and he sucked with the Dolphins.

Saban wasn't great at Michigan St. He had one good year but his other years were very average and there were major rumblings that another .500 year and he would have been let go.

Bear Bryant was pretty good every where he went. Bobby Bowden was good everywhere.

HaggardDawg
11-05-2017, 07:56 PM
That?s what I?m saying. Those types are so few and far between.

But as far as Sumlin is concerned, if our job ever came open I?d give him a call. He may not be my first choice, but he could be a good fit at MSU.

somebodyshotmypaw
11-05-2017, 10:09 PM
Saban chose Daunte Culpepper over Drew Brees

Belichik sucked with the Browns.

sandwolf
11-05-2017, 11:20 PM

Good post.

Bothrops
11-05-2017, 11:27 PM
I would worry about MSU, defensively, with a Sumlin hire, hypothetically speaking.

Commercecomet24
11-05-2017, 11:30 PM
I would worry about MSU, defensively, with a Sumlin hire, hypothetically speaking.

Me too. He?s never had a decent defense.

sandwolf
11-05-2017, 11:33 PM
Saban wasn't great at Michigan St. He had one good year but his other years were very average and there were major rumblings that another .500 year and he would have been let go.

He was pretty damn good at Michigan State. It just took longer to see the results because they got hit with NCAA sanctions/probation the year that he got there and he was doing a rebuild at a mid tier program during the Big 10's heyday.

HaggardDawg
11-05-2017, 11:40 PM

I can?t argue with that concern. I think if he tweaked his offensive philosophy a little to try and incorporate a little more balanced attack, he will do well wherever he ends up.

I?m not advocating for Sumlin to be Cohen?s first call should the day come that DM leaves, but I wouldn?t be opposed to it. I think he would fit culturally with us and assuming he could change his philosophy of finesse with a little more grit. It goes back to fit and culture for me. Some guys just don?t do well with programs that demand a lot of you in many other areas other than football. Only a few (Saban, Urban, no one else) can command the respect where admin, boosters, and players just let them do what they do and to hell with all the other stuff.

Really Clark?
11-06-2017, 01:14 AM
He was pretty damn good at Michigan State. It just took longer to see the results because they got hit with NCAA sanctions/probation the year that he got there and he was doing a rebuild at a mid tier program during the Big 10's heyday.

He was already their a year when they got a 4 year probation and lost 7 scholarships (self imposed 2 the previous year for a total of 9 scholarships lost). Perles was a little over .500 (after the forfeited their 1994 season wins) in his 12 years at MI State and in 1990 finished first in Big 10. Perles last three years he won 5, 6, and 5 games. Saban went 6, 6, 7, and 6 wins his first 4 years and he was under fire to turn in better year or his 5th most likely was his last. There was issues in the program and multiple losses to losing teams and blow out losses that his upset wins wasn't going to carry him. He had a really good last year but people gloss over average first 4 years, even with the sanctions he was under fire prior to his 5th season.

Coach34
11-06-2017, 04:39 AM
Saban chose Daunte Culpepper over Drew Brees

Actually- the Dolphins Team Doc made that call. Wouldn't sign off on Brees

msstate7
11-06-2017, 06:53 AM
Actually- the Dolphins Team Doc made that call. Wouldn't sign off on Brees

Yep.

sandwolf
11-06-2017, 11:29 AM
He was already their a year when they got a 4 year probation and lost 7 scholarships (self imposed 2 the previous year for a total of 9 scholarships lost). Perles was a little over .500 (after the forfeited their 1994 season wins) in his 12 years at MI State and in 1990 finished first in Big 10. Perles last three years he won 5, 6, and 5 games. Saban went 6, 6, 7, and 6 wins his first 4 years and he was under fire to turn in better year or his 5th most likely was his last. There was issues in the program and multiple losses to losing teams and blow out losses that his upset wins wasn't going to carry him. He had a really good last year but people gloss over average first 4 years, even with the sanctions he was under fire prior to his 5th season.

I rarely see anybody gloss over his first 4 years there, but I regularly see people try to use his tenure at Mich. St. as some kind of a black mark on his resume'. I would actually make the argument that if anyone is glossing over anything it is you.....you're making it sound like NCAA sanctions/probation (and the cloud that hung leading up to the NCAA's final ruling during his first year -- similar to this year at OM) at a mid tier school in an elite conference isn't that big of a deal and I would strongly disagree with that. My opinion is that he did a hell of a job weathering that storm -- he went to bowl games in 3 out of his first 4 years (back when bowls were a lot harder to come by) and won more games than a probation free Mich. St. had in the 4 years before he got there -- and then in year 5 he fielded a top 10 team.

Really Clark?
11-06-2017, 12:55 PM
I rarely see anybody gloss over his first 4 years there, but I regularly see people try to use his tenure at Mich. St. as some kind of a black mark on his resume'. I would actually make the argument that if anyone is glossing over anything it is you.....you're making it sound like NCAA sanctions/probation (and the cloud that hung leading up to the NCAA's final ruling during his first year -- similar to this year at OM) at a mid tier school in an elite conference isn't that big of a deal and I would strongly disagree with that. My opinion is that he did a hell of a job weathering that storm -- he went to bowl games in 3 out of his first 4 years (back when bowls were a lot harder to come by) and won more games than a probation free Mich. St. had in the 4 years before he got there -- and then in year 5 he fielded a top 10 team.

I can't give him a pat on the back either for those years when the administration was ready to get rid of him after those same 4 years for the issues inside the program and the piss poor play that was questionable, especially blow out losses when he was a defensive guru. Much the same as McElwain and his offensive struggles. I definitely give him credit for the program not completely collapsing during that time but all things being equal, if he only won 6 games again his 5th year he would have been fired. I can't say he was doing a great or even good job if it was in the balance like that. Especially with the behind the scenes issues going on. Even in his last year he had 2 road blow out losses to Purdue and Wis in back to back weeks that caused that same issue to be talked about again with his defense. But that was a great year for them

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-06-2017, 02:19 PM

Sumlin was a good fit at Houston and early on at aTm because he walked into Case Keenum and Johnny Manziel....