PDA

View Full Version : In The spirit oh honesty in debate....

cheewgumm
09-26-2013, 03:55 PM
Bama has cancelled a home and home with much state until they can see what the sec schedule will bring.

CJDAWG85
09-26-2013, 03:56 PM
Or they were mortified of Michigan St's punter... your call

Coach34
09-26-2013, 04:03 PM
9 game SEC schedule is coming

dawgs
09-26-2013, 04:07 PM
9 game sec schedule is coming

and

bama probably got paid lots of $$$$ for another neutral site game

bocfarm
09-26-2013, 04:08 PM
I'm all for it

curmudgeon
09-26-2013, 04:29 PM
9 game SEC schedule is gonna happen.

CJDAWG85
09-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Please give us UK and Vandy!!!

bocfarm
09-26-2013, 04:33 PM
I'd be thrilled with KY. TN and Mizzou

Political Hack
09-26-2013, 04:46 PM
or maybe their AD knows that he should know the conference schedule before scheduling OOC games?

dawgs
09-26-2013, 04:50 PM
Please give us UK and Vandy!!!

there won't be 2 permanent crossover opponents.

Homedawg
09-26-2013, 05:26 PM
9 game SEC schedule is coming

They are going to force it on the ten that don't want it. The last umpteenth million votes have been at worst 10-4 in favor of 8. Yet t keeps coming back up. It's bs of u ask me.

DancingRabbit
09-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Everyone I've been seeing calling for an SEC 9 game schedule are parties that are motivated to see the SEC beat each other up. Two-loss teams don't get into the playoff.

Why would SEC ADs give up that home game payday? Because Slive wants it? **** him. I'm tired of that dickhead. He reports to the university presidents and they need to take him down a notch or just cut him loose.

All they have to do is mix up the schedule so there's 3 or 4 good matchups every weekend whether it's conference games or good OOC matchups.

Coach34
09-26-2013, 06:11 PM
I think it will be here by 2016

Dannyripms
09-26-2013, 06:44 PM
I like the format like it is. The sec is already tough, why make it to were some teams won't go to a bowl because of it. That's money lost from those bowl games. Plus it'll be harder to get in the championship. Just doesn't make sense at all.

dawgs
09-26-2013, 07:10 PM
where are all the non-conference games going to come from with every other major conference going to 9 conference games? if everyone else is going to 9 conf games, then there is no disadvantage to going to 9 conf games. also, with the coming 4 team playoff (and 8 team playoff soon thereafter), the committee is going to dig into the schedules. do yall want a 2nd sec team to get in? 8 conf games and 4 cupcakes ain't gonna get it done when there's comparable teams playing 9 conf games, especially if those teams *gasp* play a quality non-conference opponent.

i would also like to play the sec east programs (besides our permanent crossover) more than twice every 12 years.

we are getting paid a shit ton of $$$ to put good entertainment on the field. that means more compelling conference matchups. the only non-conf matchups that count as "sec" games for our contracts are those hosted in sec stadiums, not the neutral site kickoff classics or the road games. so manipulating the non-conf schedule to include compelling non-conf matchups spread throughout the season means that we'd (along with the rest of the conf) be "encouraged" to schedule some quality home and homes with teams like wvu, gt, and okie st. thought yall didn't want that?

there's also plenty of folks out there that don't want early conf games, they want do work out the kinks in the non-conf schedule for a few weeks before playing a conf game.

the sec is going to go to 9 conf games because tv wants it, it's the best route to get a potential 2nd team in the playoff, and it allows us to not go a decade between seeing sec east program considering we are still a conference and all.

dawgs
09-26-2013, 07:11 PM
I like the format like it is. The sec is already tough, why make it to were some teams won't go to a bowl because of it. That's money lost from those bowl games. Plus it'll be harder to get in the championship. Just doesn't make sense at all.

pac 12 has been playing 9 conf games for years. and consistently plays by far the toughest batch of non-conference games of any of the BCS conferences. they're doing ok.

hacker
09-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Knowing our luck, they'll probably remove KY as our permanent east opponent and give us Florida and SC.

Political Hack
09-26-2013, 08:05 PM
If they'd just move Auburn to the east and make Bama/Auburn the permanents everything else would work out... and there would always be a chance of an Auburn vs Bama SECCG which would be epic. I don't understand why they won't do it.

msstate7
09-26-2013, 08:10 PM
If they'd just move Auburn to the east and make Bama/Auburn the permanents everything else would work out... and there would always be a chance of an Auburn vs Bama SECCG which would be epic. I don't understand why they won't do it.

If I'm auburn, I want this to happen.

SheltonChoked
09-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Going to 9 conference games costs the sec network 7 games a year. I see a acc sec challenge before 9 conference games.

Quaoarsking
09-26-2013, 09:05 PM

If Auburn is Alabama's permanent opponent, then Tennessee isn't, and Alabama doesn't want that rivalry to die.

Quaoarsking
09-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Going to 9 conference games costs the sec network 7 games a year. I see a acc sec challenge before 9 conference games.

But it probably replaces 14 boring FCS/Sun Belt blowouts with 7 good SEC games that bring in way more viewers. You're right, but it may not be a huge deal.

Political Hack
09-26-2013, 09:08 PM
If Auburn is Alabama's permanent opponent, then Tennessee isn't, and Alabama doesn't want that rivalry to die.

I know why it hasn't happened. Just saying if they'd let that happen, everything else would fall into place.

Bass Chaser
09-26-2013, 09:10 PM

Can you explain?

Political Hack
09-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Can you explain?

SEC Team vs SEC Team = 1 game.

Sec team vs OOC team = 1 game.
The other Sec team vs OOC team = 1 game.

The 9th week of matchups costs the SEC the extra 7 games that would result from from playing an OOC opponent.

SheltonChoked
09-26-2013, 09:35 PM
If 14 teams play each other, that's 7 games. If 14 teams play someone outside the sec, that's 14 games.

And you think we are not going to play 3 patsies? Alabama backed out of playing a big 10 team. Not a big south team.

The network will want cross sectional games. Not sec v sec.

Bass Chaser
09-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Thanks I follow you now.

SnakePlissken
09-27-2013, 09:18 AM
pac 12 has been playing 9 conf games for years. and consistently plays by far the toughest batch of non-conference games of any of the BCS conferences. they're doing ok.Outside of Oregon and maybe USC (UCLA this year), name the teams in the Pac 12 who are as tough as UF, UGA, AL, LSU, A&M (Ark/Aub when they are on)?

dawgs
09-27-2013, 10:13 AM

right because auburn and uga would just give up that game, and bama and tenn would just give up their rivalry...

dawgs
09-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Outside of Oregon and maybe USC (UCLA this year), name the teams in the Pac 12 who are as tough as UF, UGA, AL, LSU, A&M (Ark/Aub when they are on)?

stanford is pretty badass. and washington looks like they are having a breakout year.

but you also can't sit here and try to plan the future based on how tough you think programs will be. folks forget that the sec in the late 90s and early 00s was in a bit of a downswing. it could happen again.

dawgs
09-27-2013, 10:20 AM
SEC Team vs SEC Team = 1 game.

Sec team vs OOC team = 1 game.
The other Sec team vs OOC team = 1 game.

The 9th week of matchups costs the SEC the extra 7 games that would result from from playing an OOC opponent.

all that would happen is there wouldn't be as many sec games on espn3. 7 games is still plenty to go around for cbs/espn/espn2/espnu/sec network.

sleepy dawg
09-27-2013, 10:58 AM
We need the easy wins while we continue to build our program. More losses will equal less money. Less money will equal more losses... And the cycle continues.

It seems crazy, but 5 years after we switch to a 9 game conference schedule, I think we'll be a 6-6 team on our best years. We will go into a free fall. This rule will absolutely crush us.

sleepy dawg
09-27-2013, 11:03 AM

If they want to play that game, then schedule it as a non-conference game. We play Ole Miss in baseball as a non-conference game every year. Why does the whole conference have to adapt to that one rivalry?

The rich get richer.

BulldogBear
09-27-2013, 11:53 AM
If they want to play that game, then schedule it as a non-conference game. We play Ole Miss in baseball as a non-conference game every year. Why does the whole conference have to adapt to that one rivalry?

The rich get richer.

USC and UCLA used to do EXACTLY that during years in the Pac10 rotation when it fell for them to not play each other. They were playing 8 conf games which always left one off. There was no discrimination so they just played in non league game. That would be tougher on Georgia because they've already got a permanent home and home non conf game. So the solution would be for Auburn to go East and then play Bammer as permie. UT and Tide just play non conf game when they not otherwise on each others schedule. It will still be and "SEC" network game because an SEC school will always host!!

SheltonChoked
09-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Not with cbs giving up the 2:30 exclusive spot. That's 13 spots (espn, 2, u, sec *3 plus cbs) assuming only one sec network station. The big ten network has 3 channels on direct. So still more games.

Political Hack
09-27-2013, 02:23 PM
right because auburn and uga would just give up that game, and bama and tenn would just give up their rivalry...

Auburn would be in the east... with UGA.

Bass Chaser
09-27-2013, 03:24 PM
It looks like the new network plans on showing about 45 SEC games next year. Do any of you know how many SEC games are televised now?

dawgs
09-27-2013, 03:49 PM
It looks like the new network plans on showing about 45 SEC games next year. Do any of you know how many SEC games are televised now?

no idea the number, but every sec game is at least available of espn3 streaming. these games and the sec games shown on espnu will be the games that are on the sec network. that probably adds up to 45 games easy over the course of the season.

dawgs
09-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Auburn would be in the east... with UGA.

so i had a brain fart, you still aren't addressing bama-tenn.

smootness
09-27-2013, 04:01 PM
so i had a brain fart, you still aren't addressing bama-tenn.

I wouldn't be surprised if everyone lobbied to get either us or Ole Miss moved to the East. I assume they would switch someone like Missouri with Auburn, and they would want to balance that out by switching somebody like UT with one of us. That would also ease some of the top programs' permanent opponent.

If Auburn moves over without switching another of the traditional powers with them, you have Alabama and Auburn playing each other, and Florida and LSU still...but then UGA, South Carolina, and Tennessee are sitting there with only A&M to pair with one of them, while the other gets one of the 'lesser' schools. The top teams won't let that fly.

If one of the MS schools also switches with, say, Tennessee, then you can pair UGA with Tennessee, South Carolina with A&M, State with Ole Miss, and leave Vandy, Kentucky, Arkansas, and Missouri to play each other.

SheltonChoked
09-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Figure the 14 ppv games and the 1130 am games. The rest will be from what is now on espnu But the sec network will want all the live content it can.

The first announced game is TAMU vs USC on a Thursday night to start the season. That's no accident. A huge market demanding the game to maximize carriage.

No way that $$$ train gives up the best ad space it has live football.

dawgs
09-27-2013, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if everyone lobbied to get either us or Ole Miss moved to the East. I assume they would switch someone like Missouri with Auburn, and they would want to balance that out by switching somebody like UT with one of us. That would also ease some of the top programs' permanent opponent.

If Auburn moves over without switching another of the traditional powers with them, you have Alabama and Auburn playing each other, and Florida and LSU still...but then UGA, South Carolina, and Tennessee are sitting there with only A&M to pair with one of them, while the other gets one of the 'lesser' schools. The top teams won't let that fly.

If one of the MS schools also switches with, say, Tennessee, then you can pair UGA with Tennessee, South Carolina with A&M, State with Ole Miss, and leave Vandy, Kentucky, Arkansas, and Missouri to play each other.

then we can just call the divisions "leaders" and "legends"