PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Letdown Saturday Edition

Coach34
11-05-2017, 10:50 AM
1. Complain about the attendance all you want. Our school is located in a small populated corner of the state and people have to drive 2, 3, and 4 hours to get to games. It's simply not going to happen for alot of people when we are playing a nobody we should hammer at 11am. Too much time, energy, and expense for people to do it for an 11am against a non-P5. You can deny it all you want- but if State was located in Madison county- we would have had 70K there yesterday. Centrally-located area around a metro location will have fans there. A school located in a sparsely populated area hours from anywhere- no crowd.
Thats why home games were played in Jackson for 50 years before the late 1980's when the school decided to really start playing home games and forced the state to 4 lane Hwy 25 to handle the traffic

2. Jackie always said your team only truly gets up for about 4 games per season. There will also be 2-3 letdown days when they go thru the motions. Saturday was a letdown day. 11am game against a nobody, no starting WR's playing, Mullen wanting to avoid Fitz running the football, etc. We got thru it without being upset and also gave UMass their biggest margin of loss on the season.

3. Our gameplan to was run the TB and throw the ball. Save Fitz's body from shots. Well that shit doesnt work in our offense. We have to run the QB for Mullen's offense to work. Fitz had 2 carries in our 1st 3 possessions- with one being a very poorly called QB sneak where the OL didnt even fire off because of the slient count. Fitz's Pick-6 wasnt late on delivery- the UMass guy just jumped it because they didnt respect our WR's beating them. The 2nd Pick was their guy just wanting it more than ours.

4. Aeris is just Mr. Steady. Another good ballgame from him- 24/114. He just keeps getting the job done. Loved seeing Peters on O- Bond and I talked about that on the podcast in reference to getting more speed on offense- which we lack. I was surprised we didnt play the other RB's a little more. I love Aeris and he should 100% be the starter- but I think Gibson deserves a little more time and DLee can be used for certain things as well.

5. You absolutely see our lack of WR play without Mixon, Myles, and Gray on the field. A below average group becomes just bad. It's amazing to me that we can play a UMass and they have a WR better than anybody we got. Our WR recruiting is simply atrocious. Todd made a nice catch. Thomas needs to be used more working vs inside coverage than CB's in my opinion. He would give LB's and safeties problems. Lots of concern for Saturday because I dont think Myles will be back. Hopefully Gray is back to help. Mixon? He had a cast on so that doesnt look good for us.

6. OL looked very pedestrian Saturday. Going against a front that had allowed a helluva lot of rushing yards at that. We ended up with 250 yards rushing- but we struggled blocking them on base runs. They did commit alot of guys to the box because of the lack of respect for our WR's- and that hurt. But that is nothing different from what Bama is going to do this Saturday.

7. DL was going up against a group that had allowed alot of sacks this season- we got 1. ONE. We didnt have the intensity nor did we dial up some of the blitzes that we normally use. UMass getting 4 ypc was surprising. 5 TFL's and a Fletcher Adams sighting. He played well yesterday. Simmons was Simmons and led us in tackles.

8. LB play is still spotty. Nice job by Gray on the Pick-6, he is quietly having a great season. Green played very well again. Dez keeps grinding and making tackles. We just dont get to spots to make tackles and fill gaps the way we should at times. This group should be better than it plays. But I'll say this- we absolutely knocked their asses off. We were physical and put it to them. They earned what they got. Their damn QB will probably never come South again after what we did to him. Abram has to drive with the shoulder and not the head. Unfortunately- that's today's football.

9. Secondary is still our weak point- no matter what the stats say. Gave up a long TD on a wheel route with a LB'er covering their fastest guy. They motioned to it to set it up and get the LB'er on that WR. Good coaching by them and something Grantham needs to adjust better to or we will continue to see teams do it. They were 15/26 for 226 and it should have been worse. They missed some open guys. We did keep the defensive TD streak going- so there's that. If Rayford is one of our best- then that bothers me.

10. A win is a win and we are 7-2. Dont get too discouraged over this- it was a letdown game every team in the country has every season. We got out of it with a win- alot of teams dont. . Let's get out there Saturday night and create a great atmosphere so that we can keep the game close with Bama in the 1st half. Our guys need all the support they can get. Hopefully we can come out of the game fairly healthy so we can get the last 2 to finish 9-3. That will be a helluva year for this team.

Hail State

WSOPdawg
11-05-2017, 11:07 AM
6. OL looked very pedestrian Saturday. Going against a front that had allowed a helluva lot of rushing yards at that. We ended up with 250 yards rushing- but we struggled blocking them on base runs. They did commit alot of guys to the box because of the lack of respect for our WR's- and that hurt. But that is nothing different from what Bama is going to do this Saturday.

7. DL was going up against a group that had allowed alot of sacks this season- we got 1. ONE. We didnt have the intensity nor did we dial up some of the blitzes that we normally use. UMass getting 4 ypc was surprising. 5 TFL's and a Fletcher Adams sighting. He played well yesterday. Simmons was Simmons and led us in tackles.

8. LB play is still spotty. Nice job by Gray on the Pick-6, he is quietly having a great season. Green played very well again. Dez keeps grinding and making tackles. We just dont get to spots to make tackles and fill gaps the way we should at times. This group should be better than it plays. But I'll say this- we absolutely knocked their asses off. We were physical and put it to them. They earned what they got. Their damn QB will probably never come South again after what we did to him. Abram has to drive with the shoulder and not the head. Unfortunately- that's today's football.

Did Martinas Ranking and Cory Thomas return? I didn't see them on the field and figured they would try to get some live game-action reps prior to Bama. As for the QB, only one sack but with Abrams "bell-ringer" and other pressures, he definitely will think twice about coming South again... lol!!!

shoeless joe
11-05-2017, 11:27 AM
The wheel route was a pick play. Mclaurin was in coverage on their guy and ran into whoever the other DB. But it was definitely mclaurin and not a linebacker

Otherwise great breakdown...it is what it is and we got outta there with a W.

Unfortunately the location of the school doesn't affect the shotastic effort the students gave to show up for the game.

Coach007
11-05-2017, 11:45 AM
Agree with all but these:

3- That was 100% on Fitz. He never looked any where else and more than telegraphed that throw. Had nothing to do with our WRs. Agree on the 2nd pick. The 3rd pick should have never been a play called.... that was on Mullen.

5- Young guys who need more reps is all I saw. 86 stepping up, TEs doing well.... etc

7- I think this was just a blah game.

10- I wasn't discouraged. I have always stated we would be a way better team than anybody here was giving us credit for.

JoseBrown
11-05-2017, 11:49 AM
I agree on all points coach, just like to add one. We found a punt returner, at fifth-string, that wants to return the ball. Deddrick Thomas showed what can happen, with field position and TD, when you don’t fair catch every punt. I hope we stick with him on punts and kick offs.

Otherwise, great job coach.

Coach34
11-05-2017, 11:55 AM
The wheel route was a pick play. Mclaurin was in coverage on their guy and ran into whoever the other DB. But it was definitely mclaurin and not a linebacker.

Wasnt a pick- he just broke underneath the post- if that was MacLaurin he has no chance of being drafted with that lack of speed

IMissJack
11-05-2017, 12:06 PM
I agree on all points coach, just like to add one. We found a punt returner, at fifth-string, that wants to return the ball. Deddrick Thomas showed what can happen, with field position and TD, when you don?t fair catch every punt. I hope we stick with him on punts and kick offs.

Otherwise, great job coach.

Punt returner will not matter this week. The Bama punter has had 0, ZERO, NADA, punts returned this year. He kicks it so high that if it does not go out of bounds then you have to fair catch it.

Lance Harbor
11-05-2017, 12:23 PM
It was McLaurin on the "coverage." The WR was state champ in track in Massachusetts for whatever that's worth.

Wasnt a pick- he just broke underneath the post- if that was MacLaurin he has no chance of being drafted with that lack of speed

thf24
11-05-2017, 12:26 PM
It sounds silly to me but the commentators said we could have cut the cast off Mixon on the sideline if he was needed. If that was true, he should be back Saturday.

Bothrops
11-05-2017, 12:40 PM
McLaurin is a good player, that WR was just fast.

bluelightstar
11-05-2017, 12:48 PM

Would have to rewatch but I thought Cleveland ran into McLaurin at the start of the play which freed up their refeiver.

basedog
11-05-2017, 12:51 PM
I was at the game, as for as the crowd, what was there was pretty loud. Well done for getting into the game!

Bad teams lose games yesterday especially as flat as the team was which is understandable.

I could care less how we look winning against non P5 teams, what matters is the next 3 games.

This team will give Bama all they want Saturday, anything can happen ask Ohio State, wow!

Coach34
11-05-2017, 01:03 PM
Would have to rewatch but I thought Cleveland ran into McLaurin at the start of the play which freed up their refeiver.

thats where they have to communicate. Either Mac is supposed to break under or stay on top. Those things are repped everyday. Once Mac was beat it looked like the coyote chasing the RR

Todd4State
11-05-2017, 01:12 PM
That WR is going to be the Patriots next white undrafted slot WR that lights up the NFL.

Commercecomet24
11-05-2017, 01:23 PM
Great analysis, thanks!

NCDawg
11-05-2017, 01:25 PM
That WR is going to be the Patriots next white undrafted slot WR that lights up the NFL.

He is good, no doubt about that. Kinda' similar to the Cowboys 2 fast W/R's. We really need somebody that fast that can get behind D/B's.

Commercecomet24
11-05-2017, 01:26 PM

It wasn?t a pick but Mclaurin collided with one of our own players that?s how he lost the coverage.

bulldawg28
11-05-2017, 01:28 PM
Agree with all but these:

3- That was 100% on Fitz. He never looked any where else and more than telegraphed that throw. Had nothing to do with our WRs. Agree on the 2nd pick. The 3rd pick should have never been a play called.... that was on Mullen.

5- Young guys who need more reps is all I saw. 86 stepping up, TEs doing well.... etc

7- I think this was just a blah game.

10- I wasn't discouraged. I have always stated we would be a way better team than anybody here was giving us credit for.

I agree with this

bulldawg28
11-05-2017, 01:31 PM
thats where they have to communicate. Either Mac is supposed to break under or stay on top. Those things are repped everyday. Once Mac was beat it looked like the coyote chasing the RR

No amount of communication can stop that route from getting open playing off man. One WR will always be open playing it that way. It happened to a homerun due to McLauren having LB speed.

Leroy Jenkins
11-05-2017, 01:34 PM

Unless he got a lot slower since HS, no one on the team is catching that dude from behind.

highschoolsports.cleveland.com/news/article/-1614196833866419131/mayfield-sprinter-andy-isabella-posts-nations-top-indoor-track-time-in-60-meter-dash/

"Isabella, a standout tailback on the Mayfield football team last fall, has posted the top 60-yard dash time in the nation according to MileSplit.com."

shoeless joe
11-05-2017, 01:34 PM

Go back and watch. It was mclaurin and he ran into the other state DB when they came off the ball.

Hasu Dackds
11-05-2017, 01:36 PM
1. Complain about the attendance all you want. Our school is located in a small populated corner of the state and people have to drive 2, 3, and 4 hours to get to games. It's simply not going to happen for alot of people when we are playing a nobody we should hammer at 11am. Too much time, energy, and expense for people to do it for an 11am against a non-P5. You can deny it all you want- but if State was located in Madison county- we would have had 70K there yesterday. Centrally-located area around a metro location will have fans there. A school located in a sparsely populated area hours from anywhere- no crowd.
Thats why home games were played in Jackson for 50 years before the late 1980's when the school decided to really start playing home games and forced the state to 4 lane Hwy 25 to handle the traffic
While this has some shades of truth, it wasn't true yesterday. Students failed us.

RezDog7
11-05-2017, 01:45 PM
I was at the game as well. No the crowd wasn't huge but I didn't think it was nearly as bad as others. The crowd was definitely in the game and stayed until the end for the most part. I think we need to run more reverses and misdirection next week and try to throw the ball down the field to have any chance.

Coach34
11-05-2017, 01:53 PM
It wasn?t a pick but Mclaurin collided with one of our own players that?s how he lost the coverage.

our ineptness doesn't constitute a pick. The WR ran a post and didn't try to get a piece of Mac

Coach34
11-05-2017, 01:55 PM
No amount of communication can stop that route from getting open playing off man. One WR will always be open playing it that way. It happened to a homerun due to McLauren having LB speed.

bullshit. Mac stays over the top he can make the pick if thrown deep or he can force an underneath throw.

Commercecomet24
11-05-2017, 01:55 PM
our ineptness doesn't constitute a pick. The WR ran a post and didn't try to get a piece of Mac

Right. Cleveland and Mclaurin hammered each other not the wr

bulldawg28
11-05-2017, 01:58 PM
bullshit. Mac stays over the top he can make the pick if thrown deep or he can force an underneath throw.

It will never happen playing man without a zone combination. Try it with your team playing 100% man and see what happens.

Percho
11-05-2017, 02:18 PM

It appeared to me the second receiver down the field was wide open. Why did we even throw to the short receiver?

This was on the pick 6 play.

chef dixon
11-05-2017, 05:09 PM
It appeared to me the second receiver down the field was wide open. Why did we even throw to the short receiver?

This was on the pick 6 play.

That's just what we have in Fitz

Dawgfan77
11-05-2017, 05:22 PM
Durr should be back. Gonna miss abrams physical play first half. IF we go under center much this will create a lot of negative plays.

Rejlector84sports
11-05-2017, 05:34 PM
Hey coach, it's been more than 40 years since I played so my memory is fuzzy. What would you say at halftime when you are in a letdown game? They seemed to be a little more "with it" in the second half...

Percho
11-05-2017, 06:28 PM
Does anyone know who Dan was talking with when the team went to the dressing room before the game? Steve R was talking to the young guy at the end of the third qt.