PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Article Teaser

engie
04-10-2013, 10:15 PM
This is something a few of us have been working collectively on for awhile now. As many know, one of the biggest stereotypes working against MSU is our "football history" -- one that our neighbors up north love to use against us constantly, while trumpeting their own "glorious history" that almost none of them ever lived to see.

As many know by now, I have NONE of the "poor ole MSU" mentality. As such, I've got no "inferiority complex"relative to OM. I've been told for years that the difference between MSU and OM historically are the Vaught years, which is obviously hard to argue with. But what piqued my interest was the idea that for years OM traditionally played a much easier schedule than MSU leading to an obvious skew on the all-time record. This eventually led to me digging deeper and consulting other MSU fans to see what I could determine statisitically.

Here is one of the first metrics that was measured -- and one of the pillars of the article that's forthcoming. It's pretty telling in several ways IMO.

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20130411-dtzw-69kb.jpg

FlabLoser
04-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Not sure if I am reading that right. You're saying we are .177 vs Bama and Ole Miss is .125 vs Bama? Interesting.

engie
04-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Not sure if I am reading that right. You're saying we are .177 vs Bama and Ole Miss is .125 vs Bama? Interesting.

Correct -- and we've played them 37 additional times.

We are Alabama, LSU, and OM's most-played rivals -- and Auburn's 2nd most-played(to UGA).

Coach34
04-10-2013, 10:44 PM
I found the LSU series interesting

We've played LSU (their "real" rival) more than they have
As much as LSU has dominated us recently- we still have basically as many wins vs LSU as they do- and only a few more losses

BeastMan
04-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Great work engie. Knowing how you research things, I have a inkling to believe this will hurt some feeling. Can't wait for the entree

FlabLoser
04-10-2013, 11:01 PM
Engie, you are good at fact finding. Find the years old national article that calls BS on the Vaught era. I've looked and can't find what I read ~5 years ago. It called out Vaught for playing a cupcake schedule which lead them to glory.

Coach34
04-10-2013, 11:06 PM
It called out Vaught for playing a cupcake schedule which lead them to glory.

You mean, the very thing they raise hell about on Dan Mullen? And they have raised so much hell, even some of our own fans have bought into their bullshit?

FlabLoser
04-10-2013, 11:08 PM
Yep. They're all in. Hotty toddy. We could learn from them in some ways.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-11-2013, 08:06 AM
Yep. They're all in. Hotty toddy. We could learn from them in some ways.

Let's come up with a name for the school like they have designated us as moo u. Ole Miss has mastered one thing, putting their stupidity and arrogance and their feelings of entitlement on full display for the world to see. They wonder why they are hated by everyone.

biscuit
04-11-2013, 08:33 AM
I found the LSU series interesting

We've played LSU (their "real" rival) more than they have
As much as LSU has dominated us recently- we still have basically as many wins vs LSU as they do- and only a few more losses

I remember back in the 80's, we dominated LSU....ah the good ole days.

biscuit
04-11-2013, 08:35 AM
In my lifetime of acually following the Egg Bowl rivalry, basically since 1980, we are 15-18 to them. I wouldn't call that dominance considering we had some really bad, non-competetive teams during that time.

drummerdawg
04-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Showed a bear fan this and he pointed out a couple of numbers being wrong. Said they've played bama 60 times and state has beaten bama 18 times and the auburn vs state games were off a little bit.

engie
04-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Showed a bear fan this and he pointed out a couple of numbers being wrong. Said they've played bama 60 times and state has beaten bama 18 times and the auburn vs state games were off a little bit.

Read the notes at the bottom.

We haven't beaten Alabama 18 times. This is reflective of ACTUAL on-field results to determine real results over time. Not what the "record book" says. Alabama forfeited games in which they beat both us/OM in 1993 -- those are marked here as losses as they happened on the field. We also forfeited 19 victories in 75, 76, 77 -- including 5 victories and one tie which is reflected in these results.

My stats are the result of football.stassen.com's database search found here:
http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/all-opp.pl?start=1869&end=2013&team=Mississippi&sort=a&mingames=10
http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/all-opp.pl?start=1869&end=2013&team=Mississippi+State&sort=a&mingames=10

It does appear that this database is a few years behind and has a strange way of handing forfeits/vacated games -- but the end result is the same. Extrapolating it forward is not going to help them at all...

I'll double-check the numbers as I get time and correct them/bring them into the current year.

JHdawg
04-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Damn fine work Engie

JHdawg
04-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Lemon jello or Orange jello?

YoungB
04-11-2013, 03:20 PM
AL/AUB/LSU

OM - 189 games 29.1% wp
MSU - 281 games 29.9% wp

elitedawgs
04-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Please don't let me stop y'all from pretending that anyone gives a shit that your winning percentage vs. the Big 6 is four-thousandths of a point better than Ole Miss'. If only y'all succeed in educating the MSU fanbase about the significance of the .004 difference, the Bear mind games will stop.

Here's your official warning.

engie
04-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Please don't let me stop y'all from pretending that anyone gives a shit that your winning percentage vs. the Big 6 is four-thousandths of a point better than Ole Miss'. If only y'all succeed in educating the MSU fanbase about the significance of the .004 difference, the Bear mind games will stop.

You gave yourself away with this one**

Obviously, an MSU fan would not be upset to find out that our history isn't nearly as bad as it's been presented relative to the other team. Which begs to question... WHY are you upset again? HMM

MSUDawg4Life
04-11-2013, 03:50 PM
smh

The sad thing is he's actually smarter than the average Bear.

I seen it dawg
04-11-2013, 03:59 PM
**** him get him outta here.

RTO Dawg
04-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Blue light road block....