PDA

View Full Version : The Refs are putting a screw job on the Mustard Buzzards

tcdog70
11-04-2017, 09:56 PM
No wonder Hopson ran out on the field and got flagged. Like 13 penalties to Zero for the Vols.

WinningIsRelentless
11-04-2017, 10:00 PM
That bs flag on the field goal should get those two idiots fired and a public apology from the sec office. Kinda makes me wish the government would investigate the conference over crap like that.

Liverpooldawg
11-04-2017, 10:01 PM
Hopefully they save Butch's job.

Todd4State
That is absurd. Getting him ready for what's going to happen when he coaches Ole Miss next year I guess.

Commercecomet24
That bs flag on the field goal should get those two idiots fired and a public apology from the sec office. Kinda makes me wish the government would investigate the conference over crap like that.

That has to be worst call ever. Total incompetence. I hate usm but that was awful.

RocketDawg
11-04-2017, 10:03 PM
Is it an SEC crew officiating that game?

Coursesuper
11-04-2017, 10:04 PM
That was beyond bad, they aren't even getting a kiss in this screwing.

Coursesuper
11-04-2017, 10:05 PM

Yep, the finest.

WinningIsRelentless
11-04-2017, 10:05 PM

Yep

jbjones
11-04-2017, 10:15 PM

After our game at AU, I have quit watching college football. I go to MSU games, obviously, but the officiating is absolute bullshit. With today's technology there is ZERO reason for the horseshit we are being fed. F*** the SEC. I'm very near to never buying a ticket again.

Activated Alpha
11-04-2017, 10:45 PM

What happened?

yjnkdawg
11-04-2017, 10:50 PM
That targeting call on the hit on Howard that was overturned was pathetic. Howard was slipping so when the TN player led with the crown of his helmet then it wasn't targeting? That's the first I have ever heard of the slipping rule. But yeah USM got screwed by inept SEC officials.

mstatefan91
11-04-2017, 11:04 PM
What happened?

https://twitter.com/usmvoice/status/926996094009167877

Activated Alpha
11-04-2017, 11:08 PM
Yeah that's bad. That's real bad

preachermatt83
11-04-2017, 11:10 PM

They should be fired immediately

TheRef
11-05-2017, 09:55 AM
Here is the rule, directly from the NCAA Rule Book. Rule 9, Article 11.

https://image.prntscr.com/image/wIf-ifWiRcKld1ZA5j50Og.png

With this in mind, the official was calling 9-11-b. Now is it a very ticky-tack call to make? Yes. But according to the rules, it is the correct call.

Bass Chaser
11-05-2017, 10:14 AM
He didn’t run forward so it’s the wrong call.

parabrave
11-05-2017, 10:17 AM
That was beyond bad, they aren't even getting a kiss in this screwing.

Not even a courtesy reach around.

RocketDawg
11-05-2017, 12:01 PM

With this in mind, the official was calling 9-11-b. Now is it a very ticky-tack call to make? Yes. But according to the rules, it is the correct call.

Looked to me like he was just standing there and jumped straight up. He didn't run forward. I don't understand why that's a penalty anyway.

Gutter Cobreh
11-05-2017, 01:13 PM

Incorrect there Ref.

He was at least a yard from the line of scrimmage and jumped straight up. That's as bad of a call as I've ever seen.

DownwardDawg
11-05-2017, 01:25 PM
So, it's illegal to block a FG now?

DoctorDawg
11-05-2017, 01:28 PM
Not to mention the ghost facemask on the next play.

MagicDawg
11-05-2017, 01:37 PM
See NCAA 2017 Football Rules Bulletin #1, page 2. This is from September of this year. See play 3 under Leaping.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017MFB_MEMO_Play_Situations_No1_20170920.pdf

Leaping or Hurdling

Play #1: Fourth and 10 at B-18 and Team A attempts a Field Goal. B21 is lined up at the B-12
yard line and prior to the snap begins running forward. At the snap, B21 is still running forward
and at the B-16 yard line he jumps straight up in an attempt to block the kick. B21 (a) lands on
A71 at the B-17 or (b) lands on his feet at the B-17. The field goal is good.
RULING: In both (a) and (b), B21 has committed a foul for leaping. Team A can decline the
penalty and keep the 3 points or accept the penalty and have 1st and goal at the B-9. Rule 9-1-11-
b now has no reference as to whether a Team B player lands on another player.

Play #2: Fourth and 10 at B-18 and Team A attempts a Field Goal. B21 is lined up at the B-17
yard line and as the ball is being snapped, steps up and leaps in an attempt to block the kick. B21
lands on A71 at the line of scrimmage. The field goal is good.
RULING: There is no foul for leaping. Score 3 points for Team A. It is not a foul for leaping if
a Team B player is lined up in a stationary position within one yard of the line of scrimmage when
the ball is snapped. (9-1-11-b)

Play #3: Fourth and 10 at B-18 and Team A attempts a Field Goal. B21 is lined up at the B-15
yard line and as the ball is being kicked, steps up and leaps in an attempt to block the kick. The
field goal is good.
RULING: There is no foul for leaping. Score 3 points for Team A. Since B21 is not running
forward there is no foul for leaping. (9-1-11-b)

TheRef
11-05-2017, 01:46 PM
See NCAA 2017 Football Rules Bulletin #1, page 2. This is from September of this year. See play 3 under Leaping.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017MFB_MEMO_Play_Situations_No1_20170920.pdf

Leaping or Hurdling

Play #1: Fourth and 10 at B-18 and Team A attempts a Field Goal. B21 is lined up at the B-12
yard line and prior to the snap begins running forward. At the snap, B21 is still running forward
and at the B-16 yard line he jumps straight up in an attempt to block the kick. B21 (a) lands on
A71 at the B-17 or (b) lands on his feet at the B-17. The field goal is good.
RULING: In both (a) and (b), B21 has committed a foul for leaping. Team A can decline the
penalty and keep the 3 points or accept the penalty and have 1st and goal at the B-9. Rule 9-1-11-
b now has no reference as to whether a Team B player lands on another player.

Play #2: Fourth and 10 at B-18 and Team A attempts a Field Goal. B21 is lined up at the B-17
yard line and as the ball is being snapped, steps up and leaps in an attempt to block the kick. B21
lands on A71 at the line of scrimmage. The field goal is good.
RULING: There is no foul for leaping. Score 3 points for Team A. It is not a foul for leaping if
a Team B player is lined up in a stationary position within one yard of the line of scrimmage when
the ball is snapped. (9-1-11-b)

Play #3: Fourth and 10 at B-18 and Team A attempts a Field Goal. B21 is lined up at the B-15
yard line and as the ball is being kicked, steps up and leaps in an attempt to block the kick. The
field goal is good.
RULING: There is no foul for leaping. Score 3 points for Team A. Since B21 is not running
forward there is no foul for leaping. (9-1-11-b)

I stand corrected.

Percho
11-05-2017, 02:51 PM

Rule 12-3-1(r) now states that players are prohibited from the following:

Running forward and leaping across the line of scrimmage in an obvious attempt to block a field goal or Try Kick, unless the player was in a stationary position on the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped. A player who is behind the line of scrimmage before, or at the snap, may run forward and leap, provided he does not cross the line of scrimmage or land on players.

What this means is that players will still be allowed to jump straight up to block a kick, but will not be able to take a running start and jump over the line of blockers. Linemen who are stationary at the snap will also still be allowed to leap, and there is no restriction on landing on players. Using a teammate to gain leverage is also still illegal. The penalty for violating the rule will be a foul for unsportsmanlike conduct which is 15 yards, and if the kick is doesn?t score, it?s an automatic first down. If the kick is good, the kicking team can either enforce on the kickoff or take the points off the board and have an automatic first down.

The main purpose of the rule is player safety, as the league does not want players either being upended as they jump over or landing on other players. This rule was also changed in the NCAA, and their rules committee worked closely with the NFL to develop the wording and philosophy of the new rule.

Percho
11-05-2017, 02:57 PM

Rule 12-3-1(r) now states that players are prohibited from the following:

Running forward and leaping across the line of scrimmage in an obvious attempt to block a field goal or Try Kick, unless the player was in a stationary position on the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped. A player who is behind the line of scrimmage before, or at the snap, may run forward and leap, provided he does not cross the line of scrimmage or land on players.

What this means is that players will still be allowed to jump straight up to block a kick, but will not be able to take a running start and jump over the line of blockers. Linemen who are stationary at the snap will also still be allowed to leap, and there is no restriction on landing on players. Using a teammate to gain leverage is also still illegal. The penalty for violating the rule will be a foul for unsportsmanlike conduct which is 15 yards, and if the kick is doesn?t score, it?s an automatic first down. If the kick is good, the kicking team can either enforce on the kickoff or take the points off the board and have an automatic first down.

The main purpose of the rule is player safety, as the league does not want players either being upended as they jump over or landing on other players. This rule was also changed in the NCAA, and their rules committee worked closely with the NFL to develop the wording and philosophy of the new rule.

yjnkdawg
11-05-2017, 03:56 PM
So, it's illegal to block a FG now?

Sure seems to be in the eyes of some SEC Referees.

MagicDawg
11-05-2017, 04:27 PM
It looks like it is taking a long time for them to figure out what they meant by their own rule change.