PDA

View Full Version : What do you think Dan's rationale was for...

chef dixon
09-26-2013, 09:58 AM
giving Shumpert 22 carries against Alcorn?

Political Hack
09-26-2013, 10:04 AM
he wanted to play with his new shiney toy.

Barking 13
09-26-2013, 10:06 AM
I want to know why he held him 2 yards short of a long wheelbase 10....

smootness
09-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Why not?

Coach34
09-26-2013, 10:10 AM
giving Shumpert 22 carries against Alcorn?

He wasnt going to redshirt- so get him out there vs a nobody and let him go to make him happy. Save your other guys for bigger games.

bocfarm
09-26-2013, 10:21 AM
I like playing freshmen that are going to be relied on in big time games in the future. Not to mention he was a big time recruit and those guys need to play imo, hurts your chances of getting big time recruits if you have reputation of redshirting them.

The #1 reason a kid chooses a school is due to early or immediate playing time, over 50% of the espn 300 gave that reason as to why they signed with their school.

chef dixon
09-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Oh no I agree with most of this. I just was trying to pick his mind about why he would do that then not really play him much the next 2 games. I guess he saw it as an opportunity to prime him for when we really need him. I mean the dude ran over people in a couple of games... it was probably a good idea to get him in there against the lesser schools and get his confidence sky high

Coach34
09-26-2013, 10:36 AM
you think it's bad now-wait till next year when we have JRob, Shump, Griff, Williams, Milton, and I'm guessing Dontavian Lee redshirting.

Not to mention Dakota averaging 10 carries/game

Original48
09-26-2013, 10:38 AM
I just was trying to pick his mind about why he would do that then not really play him much the next 2 games.h
Welcome aboard. And nobody knows.

smootness
09-26-2013, 10:49 AM
you think it's bad now-wait till next year when we have JRob, Shump, Griff, Williams, Milton, and I'm guessing Dontavian Lee redshirting.

Not to mention Dakota averaging 10 carries/game

Milton won't get many carries at all, and Williams may end up being like Shumpert this year. We'll see how Griffing progresses, but I'm guessing it'll mostly be the Robinson and Shumpert show.

BeastMan
09-26-2013, 10:49 AM
I would like to point out that we have to be the only fan-base that bitches about too many capable running backs. The ______ should go ahead and transfer post are beyond stupid. Do y'all think Bama/LSU fans bitch about having a stable of RBs?

LSU had 2 guys on the bench who were drafted in the NFL in favor of a true freshman. Let that sink in.

Instead of complaining about redshirts and who should transfer, how bout "Mullen has done a pretty good recruiting job at RB"? Also, y'all must remember that RBs go down like flies. Your 4th guy can be a major contributor in the blink of an eye. You HAVE to be deep at RB.

ckDOG
09-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Is he getting any special teams PT?

smootness
09-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Did somebody suggest a player transfer in this thread? I've heard it about Milton in the past, but I don't see it here.

I don't think anyone's saying it's a bad thing, but there will be a guy or two left out. That's not a complaint, just a reality.

chef dixon
09-26-2013, 10:55 AM
I would like to point out that we have to be the only fan-base that bitches about too many capable running backs. The ______ should go ahead and transfer post are beyond stupid. Do y'all think Bama/LSU fans bitch about having a stable of RBs?

LSU had 2 guys on the bench who were drafted in the NFL in favor of a true freshman. Let that sink in.

Instead of complaining about redshirts and who should transfer, how bout "Mullen has done a pretty good recruiting job at RB"? Also, y'all must remember that RBs go down like flies. Your 4th guy can be a major contributor in the blink of an eye. You HAVE to be deep at RB.

wasn't complaining

BeastMan
09-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Wasnt singling anyone out. I get frustrated w/every RB thread b/c it seems that folks don't get it. You needs that many guys. We're 1 snap away vs LSU from our 2 RBs being Milton/Shump getting the bulk of the carries. Whatever some of y'all like to think you know, If MSU sustained 2 RB injuries and that's what we we're left with, that's the deepest MSU has ever been at RB. That's a damn good thing

Barking 13
09-26-2013, 11:21 AM
Wasnt singling anyone out. I get frustrated w/every RB thread b/c it seems that folks don't get it. You needs that many guys. We're 1 snap away vs LSU from our 2 RBs being Milton/Shump getting the bulk of the carries. Whatever some of y'all like to think you know, If MSU sustained 2 RB injuries and that's what we we're left with, that's the deepest MSU has ever been at RB. That's a damn good thing

I wish we were that good and deep everywhere....

ETA: if we were, the bamas and lsu's would fear us...

Jack Lambert
09-26-2013, 01:37 PM
He wasnt going to redshirt- so get him out there vs a nobody and let him go to make him happy. Save your other guys for bigger games.

With the NFL's three year rule, If I had a kid that could be gone in three (Chris Jones) I would not red shirt them. You are giving a year away.

CadaverDawg
09-26-2013, 01:50 PM

^This^

HancockCountyDog
09-26-2013, 01:52 PM
There is a part of me that would be just fine if Milton did transfer. We would have another scholarship available, still be three deep in experienced RB's, and have two capable freshman on the way.

Its not a slight, I just want to keep the cupboards full.

bocfarm
09-26-2013, 01:59 PM
I don't think Milton's given enough opportunity....he reminds of a guy that gets better with carries, unfortunately he gets a snap or two and he's out unless its mop up duty

Dawg61
09-26-2013, 02:29 PM
There is a part of me that would be just fine if Milton did transfer. We would have another scholarship available, still be three deep in experienced RB's, and have two capable freshman on the way.

Its not a slight, I just want to keep the cupboards full.

Sorry no offense but this is terrible. Milton is way more talented than 50% of the roster. How about giving him a set package of 5-10 plays and have him practice them every day so he is very 17ing good at those 10 plays. Call it the Milton Set or whatever but I'd open my mind to new ideas before I'd let a talented player like Milton go. Maybe if he was being a 17 up off the field but he's caused ZERO PROBLEMS as far as we know. I'd even give him a shot at FB, slot WR/TE, LB, FS/SS before I cut him loose.

bocfarm
09-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Again, he needs a fair shot at RB before any of those things happen. It sucks but LP's reps need to decrease dramatically until he's healthy...he hasn't looked great.

As of now it should go like this

JRob
Milton
Shump/Griffin
Perk

Barking 13
09-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Again, he needs a fair shot at RB before any of those things happen. It sucks but LP's reps need to decrease dramatically until he's healthy...he hasn't looked great.

JRob
Milton
Shump/Griffin
Perk

With you...

CadaverDawg
09-26-2013, 03:01 PM

JRob
Milton
Shump/Griffin
Perk

Agree

Coach34
09-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Sorry no offense but this is terrible. Milton is way more talented than 50% of the roster. How about giving him a set package of 5-10 plays and have him practice them every day so he is very 17ing good at those 10 plays. Call it the Milton Set or whatever but I'd open my mind to new ideas before I'd let a talented player like Milton go. Maybe if he was being a 17 up off the field but he's caused ZERO PROBLEMS as far as we know. I'd even give him a shot at FB, slot WR/TE, LB, FS/SS before I cut him loose.

We only have so much time to practice- we dont have time to structure practices for each player to only practice certain plays.

Dawg61
09-26-2013, 03:10 PM
We only have so much time to practice- we dont have time to structure practices for each player to only practice certain plays.

Then give him the plays to practice on his own. Not mandatory

Coach34
09-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Then give him the plays to practice on his own. Not mandatory

I dont think Milton's problem is not knowing the plays- it's fumbling and the fact that Perk and JRob are better than him.

bocfarm
09-26-2013, 03:26 PM
I dont think Milton's problem is not knowing the plays- it's fumbling and the fact that Perk and JRob are better than him.

Sorry but I disagree on Perk...when healthy he can be a huge threat but he's never been one to break tackles so when you take his speed away he's below ave

Percho
09-26-2013, 03:30 PM
Milton played a lot late last week but really looked good,

chef dixon
09-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Since everyone agrees that all our backs "look good," why don't we take a second to actually give our O-line some love for once.

Coach34
09-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Sorry but I disagree on Perk...when healthy he can be a huge threat but he's never been one to break tackles so when you take his speed away he's below ave

Well, the NFL is planning to draft Perkins- they arent going to draft Milton

bocfarm
09-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Well, the NFL is planning to draft Perkins- they arent going to draft Milton

Maybe, but their not drafting him based off this season bc he's hurt and hasn't looked good.

29 carries for 109yrds (3.8 ave) zero TD's

Dawg61
09-26-2013, 11:32 PM

He gets in the game with a full playbook. I'm talking about his own mini mini playbook of only 10 plays designed just for him. Use him as a weapon. The feature player for those 10 plays. What can it hurt? It's not like any defense is focused on him when he's in the game. This is 50/50 passes to him and running plays. Just an idea.

Coach34
09-27-2013, 07:17 AM
He gets in the game with a full playbook. I'm talking about his own mini mini playbook of only 10 plays designed just for him. Use him as a weapon. The feature player for those 10 plays. What can it hurt? It's not like any defense is focused on him when he's in the game. This is 50/50 passes to him and running plays. Just an idea.

A) you have to run a play in practice at least 15 times in practice before you use it in a game- so you are talking about 150 practice reps for your 3rd string TB. That's not even remotely feasible. There are limits on practice time- you can't have 100 plays to run

SPMT
09-27-2013, 07:46 AM
With the NFL's three year rule, If I had a kid that could be gone in three (Chris Jones) I would not red shirt them. You are giving a year away.

Exactly why Saban rarely redshirts

whosyourdawgy
09-27-2013, 07:52 AM
I don't understand the lack of respect for Milton. When he touches the ball he makes good things happen except for the what one fumble he had? He is a Vick Ballard clone to me. Not just the number.

msstate7
09-27-2013, 08:02 AM
If a player is good enough to leave after 3 years, I think they should be good enough to get significant playing their freshman year. Shump may still do it, but I don't see it yet. Gurley and yeldon got big time playing time with big time rb's already on the roster. Shump has only shown glimpses of potentional and saying he'll leave for nfl after 3 is premature. Chris jones on the other hand is definitely deserving of the hype

smootness
09-27-2013, 08:24 AM
Guys, everyone is preaching to the choir here.

Milton is a good RB, and no one has suggested our depth at RB is a bad thing.

A couple have suggested it wouldn't be devastating if he transferred; no one has said we should cut him or that we're better off if he leaves, just that our depth can handle it, and we're constantly bringing in more RBs.

FISHDAWG
09-27-2013, 08:29 AM
if he was that close to Ballard he would be starting, but I'm not totally disagreeing with you. He seems to be our largest RB and in theory, would be better between the tackles than LP- but that just speaks to the talent of J Rob imo

Coach34
09-27-2013, 08:31 AM
Why do people think Shumpert is a 3 year guy? That's a little ridiculous at this point

Original48
09-27-2013, 08:33 AM
If a player is good enough to leave after 3 years, I think they should be good enough to get significant playing their freshman year. Shump may still do it, but I don't see it yet. Gurley and yeldon got big time playing time with big time rb's already on the roster. Shump has only shown glimpses of potentional and saying he'll leave for nfl after 3 is premature. Chris jones on the other hand is definitely deserving of the hype
Exactly. And as someone pointed out here a couple of weeks ago, when is the last time we've had a running back leave after 3 years? I feel like Mullen is simply making good on a recruiting promise. But even still..three more years of Shumpert coupled with 4 of Williams don't look too bad.

msstate7
09-27-2013, 08:34 AM
Why do people think Shumpert is a 3 year guy? That's a little ridiculous at this point

I agree. You can see it in Chris jones, but shump has only shown potential.

smootness
09-27-2013, 09:19 AM

It doesn't matter. You don't only avoid redshirting if you think they'll leave after three years. We will still have him for 4 years if he doesn't leave. The question is, would he stick around for his redshirt senior year, his 5th year, and if he's as good as advertised, he won't.

Running backs leave early more than any other position because they want to have as little tread on the tires as possible, so that's something to think about. And again, is he going to stick around for 5 years? I doubt it.

Had we redshirted Dixon, he probably still would have left after his redshirt junior year in 2009. Shumpert has more natural talent than Dixon did.

And if he's not good enough to be drafted after 4 years in the program, it's not really going to be crucial that we have him back for a 5th anyway. So why redshirt him?

bocfarm
09-27-2013, 09:48 AM

From the small sample size I've seen he doesn't seem like a 3 yr and done guy. Alex Collins on the other hand.....he is.