PDA

View Full Version : Timeout rules - icing a kicker

AusTexDawg
11-01-2017, 10:42 AM
Solid article on SB Nation comparing college football and NFL timeout rules with regard to icing the kicker (https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/10/20/16506990/nfl-ncaa-rule-timeouts-field-goals-icing-kickers). If college football would adopt the NFL rule that only one timeout can be called in a dead-ball period, it would cut out some of the most annoying dead time not imposed by TV. If a kicker is consistently solid at normal field goal range (I realize most folks on this board haven't been too familiar with this concept in recent years), the odds are they'll make it even if iced. The end of the Arkansas-TSUN game last weekend is a prime example.

DawgRockur
11-01-2017, 10:47 AM
I agree, adopt the NFL rule.

HOWEVER, it was amazing to watch Arkansas' kicker drain 3 in a row. Tits Luke gave that kid so much confidence.
It was never a doubt that the fourth one was going through.

Dawgbite
11-01-2017, 11:00 AM
Yall should have been listening on the radio, Dick Cross was coming unglued because the refs were letting the Arkansas kicker kick each one. It was typical OM Butthurt 101.

Maroonthirteen
11-01-2017, 11:06 AM
Yall should have been listening on the radio, Dick Cross was coming unglued because the refs were letting the Arkansas kicker kick each one. It was typical OM Butthurt 101.

I was listening. Yellum didn't like it either. It was pretty funny to hear them discuss it.

Really Clark?
11-01-2017, 11:12 AM
It doesn't always work. The week before a kicker made all 3 timeout kicks but missed the real one when it counted. That's probably where Luke got the idea from.

Homedawg
11-01-2017, 11:32 AM

I agree w him. It was bs. They should have not been allowed to snap it and kick. It was blantant. You'd be pissed too if it happened to us. Just wasn't right.

thf24
11-01-2017, 11:39 AM
I agree, adopt the NFL rule.

HOWEVER, it was amazing to watch Arkansas' kicker drain 3 in a row. Tits Luke gave that kid so much confidence.
It was never a doubt that the fourth one was going through.

Luke is racking up quite a few nominations for dumbest coaching moment of the year.

Going for it on 4th and long instead of kicking against Cal?
Putting transfer-risk star QB back in the game with a wrecked knee?
Giving the Arky kicker three practice kicks on a game-deciding field goal attempt?

Still 1/3 of the season to go to squeeze in some more.

thf24
11-01-2017, 11:40 AM
I agree w him. It was bs. They should have not been allowed to snap it and kick. It was blantant. You'd be pissed too if it happened to us. Just wasn't right.

As great as it was, this is true. Should be delay of game. It's not at present though, so more power to them.

LC Dawg
11-01-2017, 11:43 AM

Is it against the rules? I'm asking because I don't know. The only thing I can think of that they could call is delay of game but it really didn't delay anything because it was a timeout. I'm curious as to whether there is anything in the rule book that addresses this situation. I guarantee you the next time this happens the kicking team is going to do the same thing.

thf24
11-01-2017, 11:54 AM
Is it against the rules? I'm asking because I don't know. The only thing I can think of that they could call is delay of game but it really didn't delay anything because it was a timeout. I'm curious as to whether there is anything in the rule book that addresses this situation. I guarantee you the next time this happens the kicking team is going to do the same thing.

No, but I think it could be in the future under the same premise as some of the delay of game calls in basketball pertaining to extra shots or throwing the ball away. It doesn't really delay the game in the grand scheme of things, but it's the best way to employ a "spirit of the game" kind of rule. Also you could say it slows down the officials in getting things set again during the timeout.

Tbonewannabe
11-01-2017, 11:57 AM

Basketball game happens all the time, shooter just puts one up after the whistle. What kind of delay of game can happen during a time out? If you don't like it then don't ice him or call it way ahead of them getting ready to snap the ball.

3rdGen
11-01-2017, 11:59 AM
Tits Luke

HAHAHAH, HAILSTATE!

JETDAWG
11-01-2017, 12:15 PM
I think La Tech will be able to pick their score against that excuse that the bears call a defense I hope its another L for that bunch up north.

ckDOG
11-01-2017, 12:35 PM

Piss on that. If I?m HC, I?m telling my snapper to send it back unless the ref takes the ball away or stands bt snapper and holder. Otherwise, assume nothing and carry on.

msstatelp1
11-01-2017, 01:01 PM
17 Luke and any other coach that does that. If the ball gets snapped then kick it.

FanninDawg
11-01-2017, 02:36 PM
BS, the delay of game is calling 3 timeouts to ice the kicker, that's against the spirit of the game. unless we need it***

Bubb Rubb
11-01-2017, 02:52 PM
BS, the delay of game is calling 3 timeouts to ice the kicker, that's against the spirit of the game. unless we need it***

This.

If they call timeout after everyone is set, they should go ahead and kick the ball. If a team doesn't want that to happen, they shouldn't call timeout. It's all part of the calculated gamble of calling the timeout....are you icing the kicker, or are you giving him some extra practice?

Homedawg
11-01-2017, 02:58 PM
Basketball game happens all the time, shooter just puts one up after the whistle. What kind of delay of game can happen during a time out? If you don't like it then don't ice him or call it way ahead of them getting ready to snap the ball.

They did call it way ahead. It wasn't a second or two. It was 5 or 6 seconds. Every time.

Homedawg
11-01-2017, 03:01 PM
Piss on that. If I?m HC, I?m telling my snapper to send it back unless the ref takes the ball away or stands bt snapper and holder. Otherwise, assume nothing and carry on.

Oh I agree w that as far as Arkansas was concerned as long as they were allowed to then go ahead. But you guys remember all that when someone does it to us don't get all pissy.