PDA

View Full Version : So, was McCann right for stepping up to Gomez after he pimped the HR tonight?

CadaverDawg
09-25-2013, 10:05 PM
http://youtu.be/VMGwh5I6Ogg

I say hell yes. What a douche Gomez is. I wish McCann would have just knocked his dumb ass out right before he touched home plate

Vandownbytheriver
09-25-2013, 10:09 PM
All of the Braves started talking shit first. Dude watched a towering homering. If you can't take that then you're a ****ing *****.

CadaverDawg
09-25-2013, 10:12 PM
All of the Braves started talking shit first. Dude watched a towering homering. If you can't take that then you're a ****ing *****.

Umm, no. Did you watch the replay? He started the shit, and the braves players were just telling him to shut the hell up. Do you really think the braves players started that?

I think it would be way more ***** to allow a guy to bark his way around the bases and show your pitcher up, than to tell him to shut his damn trap. But maybe that's just me.

Vandownbytheriver
09-25-2013, 10:13 PM
McCann and the 1B both were jawing first. Even the announcers said so. Did you watch the video?

Vandownbytheriver
09-25-2013, 10:14 PM
Oh yeah, umm no.

QuadrupleOption
09-25-2013, 10:14 PM

I say hell yes. What a douche Gomez is. I wish McCann would have just knocked his dumb ass out right before he touched home plate

I say no. Gomez may be a douche but he didn't do anything to warrant any of that BS. The Braves started talking shit and he responded.

Vandownbytheriver
09-25-2013, 10:15 PM
And add in Johnson throwing a sucker punch. Tomahawk Chop and shit.

CadaverDawg
09-25-2013, 10:17 PM
What the hell were y'all watching? Gomez started staring Maholm down before he even hit the homer? whatever, you guys either didn't play baseball or didn't see he same thing I saw. McCann didn't say shit until he got back to home plate from what I saw. But whatever

Vandownbytheriver
09-25-2013, 10:19 PM
I played ball. Had scholarships and shit. You must be a Braves fan. But whatever.

CadaverDawg
09-25-2013, 10:20 PM
I played ball. Had scholarships and shit. You must be a Braves fan. But whatever.

Yea, but that doesn't change who started the shit. If he hadn't pimped the homerun and started staring and yapping, nobody would have said a word to him. Why the hell would anybody say anything to him if he just hit a homerun?

Vandownbytheriver
09-25-2013, 10:23 PM
It's part of the game man. You hit a no doubter, you walk it out. Plunk his ass next at bat. Or hit the next guy in the damn earhole. You don't block the plate cause your pitcher just got taken yard. You hit that mother ****er or his pitcher.

chef dixon
09-25-2013, 10:24 PM
What the hell were y'all watching? Gomez started staring Maholm down before he even hit the homer? whatever, you guys either didn't play baseball or didn't see he same thing I saw. McCann didn't say shit until he got back to home plate from what I saw. But whatever

Well, you asked. Your view is definitely one of a Braves fan. They were both out of line, but the Braves took it to the next level with multiple players yelling.

QuadrupleOption
09-25-2013, 10:25 PM

He stood in the box for a couple of seconds while the ball travelled and then ran the bases. If he celebrated at all it certainly wasn't anything worse than any other hitter in the league does when they hit one out. The first thing I saw on the video was the 1st baseman talking shit. Then he started jawing back and then started up with Maholm (who was never shown on camera so I don't know what he did). Then the catcher was blocking his path and talking shit.

I don't care if Gomez was 'staring Maholm down before he hit the home run'. Who gives a ****? Are batters not allowed to look at pitchers in MLB any more? If the Braves don't want Gomez hitting home runs maybe Maholm should stop letting the guy hit home runs off him. Otherwise they just come across as a bunch of whiny douches.

Gomez should've lowered his shoulder and knocked that catcher's ass into next week for blocking the base path.

CadaverDawg
09-25-2013, 10:25 PM
It's part of the game man. You hit a no doubter, you walk it out. Plunk his ass next at bat. Or hit the next guy in the damn earhole. You don't block the plate cause your pitcher just got taken yard. You hit that mother ****er or his pitcher.

Not if he is showing up your pitcher like that. But it's cool, agree to disagree. If it was just a long trot, yes, plunk him next at bat....but if he doesn't shut his mouth the whole way around the bases, you do what McCann did. I loved it. About the only exciting part of pro baseball these days.

Dawg61
09-25-2013, 10:26 PM
McCaan wasn't right for standing in his way. Jawing at him was fine but to block his path was wrong. There's history between Maholm and Gomez. Let the pitcher handle it next time he comes up. Gomez can barely speak English. If you ever listen to him talk he is struggling just to learn the culture over here. He got defensive when McCann initially started talking shit before the first pitch. I can understand both sides here. It was entertaining to watch for sure.

CadaverDawg
09-25-2013, 10:27 PM
Well, you asked. Your view is definitely one of a Braves fan. They were both out of line, but the Braves took it to the next level with multiple players yelling.

Yea, ha, I did ask. Oh well, I disagree.

Vandownbytheriver
09-25-2013, 10:27 PM
About the only exciting part of pro baseball these days.

This I can agree with

messageboardsuperhero
09-25-2013, 10:34 PM
I wish McCann had knocked him into next week.

msstate7
09-25-2013, 10:36 PM
I wish McCann had knocked him into next week.

If not for the fact the braves are playing very important games, I'd agree. These last 4 games are very important though.

Will James
09-25-2013, 10:37 PM
Gomez and Maholm have bad blood going back to 2011. There was a home run and a plunk then. Then again earlier this year. And so Gomez was swinging for the fence today and caught one to go one up on Paul, who's SECOND HBP earlier this year hit Gomez in the knee.

Good for Gomez. That's how you retaliate. On the field with a HR.

Todd4State
09-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Yea, but that doesn't change who started the shit. If he hadn't pimped the homerun and started staring and yapping, nobody would have said a word to him. Why the hell would anybody say anything to him if he just hit a homerun?

It doesn't matter who started what- all it takes is for someone to take something the wrong way to start something. It turns out that Maholm hit Gomez in a game in Milwaukee. Then there's the part that the video didn't show- Gomez and McCann talking before the at bat started.

McCann seems like kind of a hot head to me- this is at least the second time this year he has done something like this. Not saying he started it or anything else- but he was definitely looking for a fight.

chainedup_Dawg
09-25-2013, 10:53 PM
Watched it, it seems Gomez was watching the ball. Yeah he pimped it, but no more than the majority in mlb does. Once he started his trot it seemed Maholm said something and Gomez barked back. Then, before he gets to the bag, you can see Freeman jawing at him, Gomez doesn't come back at him until he's past the bag. McCann, well we all know what he did.

Yes, Freeman and McCann acted like bitches. If I was calling that game, McCann would be tossed before anything else, Johnson also, of course.

If a guy pimps a shot against you, you either bean him his next ab, hit the next guy up. Some would hit their pitcher or their best player but that's usually reserved for retaliation of a dirty play. You don't run your mouth or block his path to the plate because he just hit a pissrod off you.

If you listen after the "brawl" was broken up, the announcers talk about who was jawing at who

bully99
09-25-2013, 11:03 PM
Maholm and McCann...A Bulldog and the son of a Bulldog. Brian McCann never went to college but in high school he signed a letter to play at Alabama. Amazing how we always lose legacy players.

K9 Avenger
09-25-2013, 11:19 PM

Absolutely!!! That was all on Gomez running his mouth at Maholm the second after he quit posing....Maholm should go head hunting next time he sees him

trob115
09-25-2013, 11:19 PM
Just my .02's.....

Gomez has a history of being a wild egotistic prick. He has always been a ticking time bomb wherever he has played. I think what he did pre at bat with the stare down warranted a ball to the ribs. Then he continues that once he begins his ab. As he was "running" to first he acted like a 2 yr old. I think he definitely had it coming , especially after he continued to run his mouth all the way around.

Bmac shoulda body slammed him on the spot. Every baseball talking head I have seen has pretty much sided with McCann

Todd4State
09-25-2013, 11:20 PM
Maholm and McCann...A Bulldog and the son of a Bulldog. Brian McCann never went to college but in high school he signed a letter to play at Alabama. Amazing how we always lose legacy players.

I thought he committed to Georgia when Polk was there?

smootness
09-25-2013, 11:26 PM
Watched it, it seems Gomez was watching the ball. Yeah he pimped it, but no more than the majority in mlb does. Once he started his trot it seemed Maholm said something and Gomez barked back. Then, before he gets to the bag, you can see Freeman jawing at him, Gomez doesn't come back at him until he's past the bag. McCann, well we all know what he did.

Yes, Freeman and McCann acted like bitches.

That's what you took from that? First, yes, that was far more than a normal 'pimp'. He was doing it to purposefully try to send a message. And McCann is the one that yelled at him, Maholm never said a thing. McCann just told him to move, same as pretty much any catcher in the majors would do if an opposing hitter did that. Then Gomez started screaming at Maholm, and Freeman came back at him.

I don't see how Freeman and McCann acted like anything other than baseball players.

It's not as though either one of them has a history of being hot-headed. They're both extremely even-keeled guys, so if you get either one of them on you like that, you're probably being a dick.

Maroon Diapers
09-25-2013, 11:35 PM
Hell yeah. Gomez even admitted afterwards that if he was McCann he would have done the same thing.

bully99
09-25-2013, 11:38 PM
Todd that was Brian's older brother Brad...he signed to play for Ron Polk at Georgia but Polk left to come back to state and Brad went to a juco and then Clemson and became an all American. So we didn't get either one. Saw a story about Brian and family talked about signing with bama.

Will James
09-25-2013, 11:39 PM
Did my earlier post not fall upon any ears. Maholm is the first bitch here for beaning Gonez twice. One in the knee. You hit me twice and I'm damn sure staring you down pre-AB. I then get my revenge and yolk one out, oh hell yes I'm pimpin that baby. You wanna start talking Paul, Freddie, Chris, and then McCann's bitch ass blocks my plate?

Im team Gomez 100% here. I also think beaning someone is a bitch move. Strike his ass out next time if you don't like him talking you yard.

smootness
09-25-2013, 11:44 PM
If you like the way Carlos Gomez handled himself, then you're an idiot. Even he doesn't agree with what he did.

If you want to say that hitting a HR, then pimping the heck out of it, then screaming at the opposing pitcher is the way to get back at someone, then it should be more than fine to yell at a guy doing that.

ETA: If you can explain to me what Freeman did to get kicked out of that game, I'd like to hear it.

BdoginLa
09-26-2013, 12:40 AM

I say they were both wrong.

I would not have pimped that HR in high school and McCann looked like he was in high school blocking the plate.

Gomez does come off as looking more bush league in claiming Maholm hit him on purpose when he was hit in the knee . Had Malholm planted one between his rib cage and kidney, he may have had a case that it was on purpose .

I can see why Mccann was upset for that unwarranted display. But come on man, there are better ways to get your point across without looking like a worm.

RougeDawg
09-26-2013, 01:38 AM

No. McCann looked like a little bitch that got punked. You never stop someone from completing a homerun. If I'm an opposing player, McCann gets knocked the **** out for disrespecting the game like that. At least let the guy touch the plate first. That's as Busch league as it gets, and why the braves lost my respect years ago. If you don't want someone pimping a homerun, dont leave a fat urine ball out over the plate. Freeman deserves an ass whoopin also. It's baseball, end of the season and the braves are going to post season. McCann, Malholm, and Freeman look like spoiled little bitches that need their asses handed to them. And if you say he was staring the pitcher down before he hit it, why wasn't he buzzed back? Maholm got punked before pitch, served one up, and was shown some yard work. He should shut the **** up. He got beat, so suck it up.

This is why this Braves team will not win. Let the small things get to them. McCann was wrong if you understand the game of baseball. Gomez should have cleaned his clock. Braves are Busch league and have been for the last 10-15 years.

Todd4State
09-26-2013, 01:43 AM
No. McCann looked like a little bitch that got punked. You never stop someone from completing a homerun. If I'm an opposing player, McCann gets knocked the **** out for disrespecting the game like that. At least let the guy touch the plate first. That's as Busch league as it gets, and why the braves lost my respect years ago. If you don't want someone pimping a homerun, dont leave a fat urine ball out over the plate. Freeman deserves an ass whoopin also. It's baseball, end of the season and the braves are going to post season. McCann, Malholm, and Freeman look like spoiled little bitches that need their asses handed to them. And if you say he was staring the pitcher down before he hit it, why wasn't he buzzed back? Maholm got punked before pitch, served one up, and was shown some yard work. He should shut the **** up. He got beat, so suck it up.

This is why this Braves team will not win. Let the small things get to them. McCann was wrong if you understand the game of baseball. Gomez should have cleaned his clock. Braves are Busch league and have been for the last 10-15 years.

Not to mention running the risk that some of their best players could get suspended for a game or so early in the playoffs. I doubt that will happen- but why even risk it?

RougeDawg
09-26-2013, 01:47 AM
This wasn't even Bitch Boy McCann's first time he's reacted this way over a home run like that. He needs to double up on the Midol. Reference a HR from Marlins.

Fader21
09-26-2013, 04:03 AM
Here is what I saw. Gomez pimped, You can't see Maholm's face (So if the people saying Maholm didn't say anything have XRay vision, don't say he didn't say anything). The announcers said he did, they had the angle and they were at the game. Gomez said something to Maholm while walking to 1st. When he finally went into his homerun trot. Thats when Freeman keyed up. He should have shut the hell up and hugged someone. Gomez talked shit back to Freeman. Gomez continued around 2nd and 3rd clearly his attention went back to Maholm. So I figure him and Maholm were talking shit to each other. (Braves 2nd, SS, 3rd basemen stayed out of it...great job guys) Gomez got about 2/3rds to home plate and realized Mccann is blocking him. The UMP is clearly telling Mccann to get out of the way. Mccann jaws with Gomez, and back and forth. Benches clear. Gomez's teammates grab him pulling him away. Reed Johnson comes and cold cocks him with Gomez's hands are down. Mccann and Reed Johnson clearly needed to be ejected and fined suspended.

Thick
09-26-2013, 06:37 AM

Yes, Freeman and McCann acted like bitches. If I was calling that game, McCann would be tossed before anything else, Johnson also, of course.

If a guy pimps a shot against you, you either bean him his next ab, hit the next guy up. Some would hit their pitcher or their best player but that's usually reserved for retaliation of a dirty play. You don't run your mouth or block his path to the plate because he just hit a pissrod off you.

If you listen after the "brawl" was broken up, the announcers talk about who was jawing at who

Not so fast my friend!! Gomez had words with McCann during the at-bat like you said, Gomez hits the bomb stares down Maholm, BUT it was Gomez that started shit talking Maholm between home and first. Then Freddie got involved. If I was McCann, I would have been locking my sights on the next batter, not blocking the plate. Let Gomez do his thing, but his next at bat, he's taking one in the ear hole....then it's chin-checkin' time!!!

Bo Darville
09-26-2013, 06:46 AM
I don't watch much pro baseball, so I don't know the history between Gomez and the Braves. However, based on the video, this whole thing could have been avoided if Gomez had acted like a grown man and run the bases. Instead he stood there like some moron to say "look at me, I hit a homerun for a team that won't make the playoffs".

I've got a job and do it well everyday. I do it without acting a fool.

Dawg Tired
09-26-2013, 07:19 AM
Seems to me that one can jump on either side, depending on team loyalties. It is absolutely clear, however, that the Braves acted more in the spirit of baseball. Probably game him the ole "stop staring, run it out." Gomez was very demostrative with every exchange while trotting around. That kind of chatter probably happens on most homeruns. Seems that Gomez is more of a punk than most. Conclusion: Gomez is a punk bitch that many in the league don't respect.

Bo Darville
09-26-2013, 07:59 AM
A lot of this is the way some people think. Some folks must be clowns, idiots, egotistical morons, dancers, self-promoters, etc. Barry Sanders rushed for over 2800 yards his final season of college ball (let that number sink in). He rushed for over 15,000 yards in the NFL. He usually just handed the ball to the ref. No dancing or acting like a fool. On the other hand, our own Fred Brown has caught 2 passes for 27 yards. He has only played in 3 games out of 14 in his days at MSU. He spiked the ball after one of his 2 catches, resulting in a 15 yard penalty. He was also ejected from the game later for yet another unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. He acted like a clown. Why can't Gomez just run the bases? For the record, I'm in the Barry Sanders camp (achieve greatness but act civilized), while many on here are in the Fred Brown camp (celebrate like you won the lottery, but achieve nothing). That's fine.

smootness
09-26-2013, 08:12 AM
He got beat, so suck it up.

He was sucking it up. They were all sucking it up until Gomez turned into a 3-year-old.

McCann was wrong if you understand the game of baseball.

That's interesting, then, that every single person that I've heard who is associated with baseball or used to play in the majors, has sided with McCann.

Gomez got his 'revenge' by blasting a HR off Maholm, that's fine. But don't be a douche and act like that. McCann and Freeman didn't react until Gomez decided to throw a hissy fit. Tell me the last time you saw a major league player, or really any player on any level, scream at a pitcher all the way around the bases on a HR. Yet I promise you catchers yell at batters all the time when they try to pimp anything.

It's funny that everyone keeps referencing the Brewers' announcers as though their view is the definitive view of the situation. For what it's worth, the Braves' announcers called Gomez a nut job and said he started it all. I guess we should also consider their version fact?

whosyourdawgy
09-26-2013, 08:14 AM
Reading this thread is funny as Hell. There is either a love or hate for the braves much like the Yankees and Red Sox. And if u had a stamp for each side, you could go thru this thread and clearly stamp which side each person is on. I'm just a sports fan. Don't give a damn about mlb til post season. Not really a fan of any team since Will left the Giants. I didn't see it live, didn't see the pre at bat stare down or any of the past history Just this video. From this video, Gomez appears to have had a bad day til this happened. Don't know if the wife/girlfriend was riding his ass or his mom didn't pack his lunch. Whatever. The dude had a big ass chip in his shoulder and he let all that out when he hit the homer. I know players talk going around the bases sometimes but Gomez was talking way too much crap going around the bases. He was showing up Maholm and the Braves and they stood up. I've also never seen a catcher block hone plate on a homer before like McCann did which was a stupid but ballsy thing to do. If Gonez doesn't pose and glare none of this happens.

Bottom line in my opinion. The Braves need McCann and Freeman for the post season so they don't need to do something stupid and get suspended, and more importantly Paul Maholm needs to stop giving up homers and get some W's or the Braves won't be doing much in the post season. Oh and that was an entertaining few minutes to watch.

Dawg61
09-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Everyone is basing their opinions off of last night but it goes back way longer than one night. MLBNetwork did a great breakdown of all the at-bats between Gomez and Maholm and this is a 4+ year "fight" between the two players. Gomez has simply OWNED Maholm and Maholm doesn't like it. Gomez always pimps his hits and Maholm has hit him several times for it. McCann told him not to pimp shit and that made Gomez furious. The rest you saw. The incident was mild compared to what would of happened in Gomez's next at-bat vs Maholm. We would of seen Grienke vs Quentin part 2. I can't wait till the next time Gomez faces Maholm.

smootness
09-26-2013, 08:24 AM
more importantly Paul Maholm needs to stop giving up homers and get some W's or the Braves won't be doing much in the post season. Oh and that was an entertaining few minutes to watch.

We can definitely agree on this, though overall he pitched fairly well yesterday...just didn't get any help. The offense has been terrible lately and has to get at least lukewarm again, or we aren't going anywhere in the playoffs.

smootness
09-26-2013, 08:25 AM
I can't wait till the next time Gomez faces Maholm.

He's gonna get hit again.

wobblyh
09-26-2013, 08:27 AM
This important question to me is, does the run count? He didn't touch home plate before the brawl. How does that get scored?

notsofarawaydawg
09-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Haters gonna hate and it's always the other teams fault. Go Braves !!

smootness
09-26-2013, 09:34 AM
This important question to me is, does the run count? He didn't touch home plate before the brawl. How does that get scored?

It's a run due to interference, I believe.

wobblyh
09-26-2013, 09:37 AM
It's a run due to interference, I believe.

That makes sense. My dad is a stickler for rules and gets pissed every time guys take their helmets off coming around third on a homerun. Yells at the tv that they should be out. I once tried to suggest that might not be a rule anymore (or ever in MLB) but he wasn't having it.

smootness
09-26-2013, 09:41 AM
That makes sense. My dad is a stickler for rules and gets pissed every time guys take their helmets off coming around third on a homerun. Yells at the tv that they should be out. I once tried to suggest that might not be a rule anymore (or ever in MLB) but he wasn't having it.

Ha. Yeah, pretty sure it isn't a rule. I guess it's possible there's a specific rule that you can't intentionally take your helmet off, but guys have their helmets fly off running the bases all the time.

Coach34
09-26-2013, 10:31 AM
What it comes down to is this:

Everything in sports and society today is about being brash and getting noticed. Get the attention...and this is why baseball is on the decline.

Baseball is about being respectful, respecting the game and people before you. Having some humility. Old school baseball guys arent going to put up with that bullshit and are going to get in your ass when you are disrespectful of other players and the game.

Fader21
09-26-2013, 10:41 AM
Here is my thing. McCann Gomez and Johnson should have all been ejected. McCann for blocking the plate on a homer even after an ump was clearly telling him to move. Gomez for his part and Johnson for the cheap shot

smootness
09-26-2013, 10:51 AM
The problem with just ejecting everybody involved is that the message you send is, you'll be ejected if you act like a punk all the way around the field, but you'll also be ejected if you try to do anything about it as the opposing team.

McCann didn't really do anything ultimately; he just stood in the basepath. I don't see that as reason for ejection. Freeman apparently was ejected for throwing an elbow; I didn't see it, but fine. Maybe toss Reed Johnson, but all he really did was shove.

Fader21
09-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Reed clearly punched Gomez in the head. No push at all. I don't agree with freeman getting ejected. I didn't see him elbow Ramirez. But I agree with someone else. You let him touch the plate then you say what you gotta say. He directly didnt do what an ump told him to.

smootness
09-26-2013, 11:06 AM
He directly didnt do what an ump told him to.

I'm sure an ump would tell everyone to stay in the dugout. So do you toss everybody?

The bottom line is, I've literally never seen somebody do what Gomez did, and as an ump you have to understand the opposing team is going to react to that. Toss out anybody who throws a punch or an elbow or whatever (I didn't see Reed Johnson's punch but I never saw a close-up of it; if he did, he should have been tossed), and let everybody else keep playing.

Fader21
09-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Well we would have to agree to disagree on the McCann part. I wish there was a baseball ump on the board to share his thoughts. I'm not talking a little leaguer ump though

trob115
09-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is how Gomez after McCann blocked the plate, he acted like he wanted to fight yet mysteriously got as far away as possible from the braves players. He was scared.

smootness
09-26-2013, 11:36 AM
There was an MLB ump that weighed in last night. He didn't toss him.

RougeDawg
09-26-2013, 11:47 AM
He was sucking it up. They were all sucking it up until Gomez turned into a 3-year-old.

That's interesting, then, that every single person that I've heard who is associated with baseball or used to play in the majors, has sided with McCann.

Gomez got his 'revenge' by blasting a HR off Maholm, that's fine. But don't be a douche and act like that. McCann and Freeman didn't react until Gomez decided to throw a hissy fit. Tell me the last time you saw a major league player, or really any player on any level, scream at a pitcher all the way around the bases on a HR. Yet I promise you catchers yell at batters all the time when they try to pimp anything.

It's funny that everyone keeps referencing the Brewers' announcers as though their view is the definitive view of the situation. For what it's worth, the Braves' announcers called Gomez a nut job and said he started it all. I guess we should also consider their version fact?

He pimped it and stared down pretty boy Maholm. Freeman started jawing. I

Since all these so called "baseball people" are siding with BicthCann, ask how many of them have ever seen a catcher confront someone 30 ft before home plate when the guy is rounding the bases. Anyone who thinks this act is justifiable by any means is ignorant or just simply a brave homer. I've never seen that in my life on any level and baseball is my favorite sport. Players have feuds. It's part of game. No reason for Freeman or McCann to do any of that unless Gomez charges mound. It was very brave-like of recent. MCCann has always seemed like an arrogant spoiled brat. This isn't his first rodeo confronting players after they'd pimped their yard work. Get over it its baseball and throw 4 at his head next AB. That's how you deal with players like Gomez.

CJDAWG85
09-26-2013, 11:50 AM
What is the history between these 2? Gomez took a big hack on the previous pitch and stared Maholm down. Then connected and started the chaos.

smootness
09-26-2013, 12:06 PM
Since all these so called "baseball people" are siding with BicthCann, ask how many of them have ever seen a catcher confront someone 30 ft before home plate when the guy is rounding the bases. Anyone who thinks this act is justifiable by any means is ignorant or just simply a brave homer. I've never seen that in my life on any level and baseball is my favorite sport. Players have feuds. It's part of game. No reason for Freeman or McCann to do any of that unless Gomez charges mound. It was very brave-like of recent. MCCann has always seemed like an arrogant spoiled brat. This isn't his first rodeo confronting players after they'd pimped their yard work. Get over it its baseball and throw 4 at his head next AB. That's how you deal with players like Gomez.

Ok, you don't like the Braves, I get it.

Anyone who has an issue with anything Freeman did is insane. I can see thinking McCann shouldn't have come up the baseline, but if anything it was just an unprecedented response to an unprecedented act by Gomez.

In response to thinking the solution is to throw at Gomez, his perception that Maholm had thrown at him previously is what started the whole thing to begin with; obviously that is not the way to deal with him.

The Croom Diaries
09-26-2013, 12:27 PM
McCann should not have stood in the base path, but his confrontation was definitely justifiable. Just hitting the home run should have settled the score but he went a step further and admired it - that warranted getting hit in the back his next time up. But he took it a step further and was yelling at Maholm the entire way around the bases. His 3rd base coach didn't even offer him any congratulations because he was so ashamed. McCann had to stand up for his pitcher right then to put an end to it and brawl. His mistakes were not waiting until he crossed home plate and not punching him in the face. Although considering the playoffs are next week it's a good thing he didn't.

sleepy dawg
09-26-2013, 12:58 PM
I like it... Baseball could be the new hockey... Just need a penalty box.

dawgs
09-26-2013, 01:42 PM
all i'm going to say is that this is the 3rd time in roughly a month the braves have gotten into this shit with another player. j-upton and gattis both took their time on HR trots and when harper and fernandez gave it back to this later in the game, they got all butthurt and acted holier than thou about the integrity of the game. seems kinda like the same thing here, they've been provoking gomez for awhile and he got his revenge, talked a little shit, and they again acted like they are the ambassadors of baseball integrity. give me a break, when this shit keeps happening involving the same team, it's probably that team provoking it and maybe they need to take a look at themselves and how they handle the game. if you are going to represent the integrity of the game like the braves seem to want to do, you better make damn sure that 1-25, every single player on your team is on the same page, running out every groundball, diving for balls, playing hard, putting their head down and trotting off HRs in ~20 seconds, because as soon as you take offense for another guy's HR trot after j-upton had one of the longest HR trots of the year a few innings earlier, you come across as a huge douchebag hypocrite.

the braves have essentially had the division locked up for 2 months, they should be focused on october success, not getting their panties in a wad over petty shit (especially when they are giving it out).

i grew up on the braves in the early and mid 90s, and i know this will be incredibly unpopular to braves fans, but i pretty much moved on when they made chipper jones their franchise centerpiece. dude rubbed me as a huge scumbag redneck, and his string of affairs and illegitimate kid(s) born while he was still married only supports it imo. and this current squad of braves just come across as a bunch of whiny babies that want to be able to talk shit and show off, but when someone gives it back to them, they can't handle it.

MetEdDawg
09-26-2013, 04:24 PM
Gomez and Reed Johnson were both suspended 1 game. Only two guys that should have been suspended because they are the ones that broke the spirit of the game.

As a Braves fan, if any of our players acted like Gomez did yesterday, I would want them benched by Gonzalez immediately after they got done serving their suspension. And I would bet a lot of money that Roenicke will do that. Forget getting hit 3 MONTHS AGO by Maholm, forget the fact that Gomez hit a long home run that was impressive. The only thing that matters is how you handle yourself in respect to the game of baseball. You respect the players that play and you respect the game. Anytime someone disrespects either of those two, the players police it, and MLB was obviously ok with how the Braves policed it outside of Reed Johnson, who is an idiot.

Gomez clearly disrespected Maholm after the home run. From the Braves broadcast you can clearly see Maholm doesn't say anything to Gomez, but Gomez just goes off and starts jawing. Freeman does the right thing and stands up for his pitcher. Then Gomez rounds 3rd where you usually high five the 3rd base coach. Gomez didn't even do that because he was too busy jawing at Maholm and pointing at his leg, FROM A HBP 3 MONTHS AGO, and acting like a brat. So McCann felt it went to far and had to step in, and he's the guy that should have. He's the veteran, he's the guy with the protective gear on, and he's the one ultimately that is the face of the Braves, who since I've been alive (I'm 25), have played the game the right way without any flash or arrogance. Just go out and do your job.

Anyone that thinks Gomez was in the right doesn't know baseball. The guy got hit by an 85 MPH pitch in the leg 3 MONTHS AGO and has only been hit like twice in his career by Maholm. Get the hell over it and play the game. Enjoy your home run and trot around the bases. You got the revenge, but acted like a complete jackass and embarrassed yourself in the process. I'm glad Freeman and McCann acted the way they did because that bullshit that Gomez did is what ruins games. All of that posturing is ridiculous and it has no place in baseball.

I bet a lot of you would feel different if that guy from Samford did to Stratton what Gomez did to Maholm when he hit that monster shot off of him in the Regionals last year.