PDA

View Full Version : A Late Thought

Spiderman
10-31-2017, 10:27 PM
Even though he would have unlimited money to work with, and opportunities in each sport to win national championships, Stricklin heading to Florida surprised me.

While he might get a little more money there, he was secure as he could be here. He, outside a huge scandal, had a job for life. He was an alum, his wife, daughter of State's most famous athlete until Dak, was from Starkvile.

Creditable rumors were she was not that keen on it but was supportive. More creditable was her folks disappointment in her and the grandkids moving off, and that they were very against it.

So what would tip the move?

A thought that I had is this..... a personality conflict with Mullen. Although he was AD, and Mullen's boss, was he really? He knew deep down Mullen held more power and if it came to the 2 of them, Mullen would win a power struggle.

He couldn't discipline Mullen, or try to run him off if he wanted to. he also wasn't the AD who hired him. Rumor has always been they didn't get along. Mullen talking about Cohen being a coach and Keenum being a former football player, and how much that meant to him, are telling to me. I don't think, reading between the lines, he respected Stricklin very much.

I think Stricklin knew that and that he had to go where he would be. He knew he would always be 2nd fiddle.

mparkerfd20
10-31-2017, 10:31 PM
And yet he is now 3rd fiddle behind Foley and Spurrier now so I don't buy it.

AlSwearengen
10-31-2017, 10:32 PM
Agree. Also, as others have mentioned, Stricklin was tight with money and that probably hindered attracting good assistants.

Todd4State
10-31-2017, 10:39 PM
The fact that he left very shortly after the South Alabama loss last year is very telling to me. The odd thing is normally the AD is the one that usually stays and the coach is the one that goes. That said, Keenum ultimately runs the show and if Dan went to him and said, "Hey, I agree with you we should get a better DC, but I can't do it with the 350-500K that Scott's giving me" it comes down to either forcing Scott to give Dan more money or getting a new AD (and yeah that's probably extreme). Same with recruiting budget.

I think the Rick Ray hire really hurt Scott's career and the trust between him and the higher ups at MSU in terms of making hires. And if anyone had the resources to screen a candidate for a sport, it had to be Scott with Bailey Howell for MSU basketball.

Scott was great at marketing and we should all be thankful for the cowbell compromise but the reality is winning big games is the best marketing a sports team can have.

Todd4State
10-31-2017, 10:40 PM
And yet he is now 3rd fiddle behind Foley and Spurrier now so I don't buy it.

It's called getting out ahead.

Spiderman
10-31-2017, 11:03 PM
The fact that he left very shortly after the South Alabama loss last year is very telling to me. The odd thing is normally the AD is the one that usually stays and the coach is the one that goes. That said, Keenum ultimately runs the show and if Dan went to him and said, "Hey, I agree with you we should get a better DC, but I can't do it with the 350-500K that Scott's giving me" it comes down to either forcing Scott to give Dan more money or getting a new AD (and yeah that's probably extreme). Same with recruiting budget.

I think the Rick Ray hire really hurt Scott's career and the trust between him and the higher ups at MSU in terms of making hires. And if anyone had the resources to screen a candidate for a sport, it had to be Scott with Bailey Howell for MSU basketball.

Scott was great at marketing and we should all be thankful for the cowbell compromise but the reality is winning big games is the best marketing a sports team can have.

He was gone before that game and he knew it. A lot of things had slipped in the AD offices. Did y'all know the reason the pregame show wasn't done in the fanzone that game like it always had been? They set it up, but can't get the phones right. Tech guys work awhile and call phone co. AT&T informs them that that line had been disconnected for non payment. So they had to haul butt to the pressbox and do it. that's one example. He had checked out the month before.

And you are right, he got out ahead.

Look, I went to State with Scott. Hell, we were in the same rush group, visiting all the houses together. While not friends, I was around him a bit. I was also there with Cohen. They may have loved each other, I don't know, but that's two VERY different personalities. Being around Mullen off the field a few times, he and Cohen are alike in a lot of ways.

I can see Scott having his hands full trying to be their "Boss"

Todd4State
10-31-2017, 11:12 PM
He was gone before that game and he knew it. A lot of things had slipped in the AD offices. Did y'all know the reason the pregame show wasn't done in the fanzone that game like it always had been? They set it up, but can't get the phones right. Tech guys work awhile and call phone co. AT&T informs them that that line had been disconnected for non payment. So they had to haul butt to the pressbox and do it. that's one example. He had checked out the month before.

And you are right, he got out ahead.

Look, I went to State with Scott. Hell, we were in the same rush group, visiting all the houses together. While not friends, I was around him a bit. I was also there with Cohen. They may have loved each other, I don't know, but that's two VERY different personalities. Being around Mullen off the field a few times, he and Cohen are alike in a lot of ways.

I can see Scott having his hands full trying to be their "Boss"

I did not know that about the pregame show mainly because I never went to the fanzone.

As far as their personalities, one thing I have observed in my life is that typically very competitive people tend to thrive and be happier around other people that are also equally competitive if they are on the same team or sharing the common goal.

munk_munk92
11-01-2017, 01:16 AM
As it turns out I think Cohen being the A.D. is the best thing that could have happened. That guy wants to win and will do whatever it takes. The only thing that worried me was who the new baseball coach would be. Now that we know we have a good one, I think we are set up to have the best years in all sports history at MSU. If the boys basketball team can get it together we will have elite teams in all of the major sports at the same time. When has that ever happened? NEVER..

Coursesuper
11-01-2017, 07:41 AM
Even though he would have unlimited money to work with, and opportunities in each sport to win national championships, Stricklin heading to Florida surprised me.

While he might get a little more money there, he was secure as he could be here. He, outside a huge scandal, had a job for life. He was an alum, his wife, daughter of State's most famous athlete until Dak, was from Starkvile.

Creditable rumors were she was not that keen on it but was supportive. More creditable was her folks disappointment in her and the grandkids moving off, and that they were very against it.

A thought that I had is this..... a personality conflict with Mullen. Although he was AD, and Mullen's boss, was he really? He knew deep down Mullen held more power and if it came to the 2 of them, Mullen would win a power struggle.

He couldn't discipline Mullen, or try to run him off if he wanted to. he also wasn't the AD who hired him. Rumor has always been they didn't get along. Mullen talking about Cohen being a coach and Keenum being a former football player, and how much that meant to him, are telling to me. I don't think, reading between the lines, he respected Stricklin very much.

I think Stricklin knew that and that he had to go where he would be. He knew he would always be 2nd fiddle.

Your very close to dead on here, but it’s actually deeper than that. Let’s just say he wouldn’t have let go as AD but his power base and support had dwindled considerably.

Hasu Dackds
11-01-2017, 10:07 AM
Are you just now realizing this? It was unfortunate but true. I think it's a big problem going forward everywhere because the coaches make millions and the ADs make considerably less. Who really has the power?

I was happy for Stricklin, he made the best move for him. I hope he makes a ton of money down there, puts it in the bank, and moves back to Mississippi at retirement and lives here forever. I hope his kids go to Mississippi State and settle in Mississippi.

RougeDawg
11-01-2017, 10:19 AM
Your very close to dead on here, but it?s actually deeper than that. Let?s just say he wouldn?t have let go as AD but his power base and support had dwindled considerably.

And, as some others here will deny until their death, Keenum was done with Strick and told him to find another job. That way it doesn?t look like you are getting the boot and can continue your path to a University Presodency or similar position. Had he not found anything, his career would?ve been toast as far as end goal aspirations.

MK has seen enough p*ssy footing from he and Mullen, and stepped in on both and gave ultimatums. One being Dan squashing all rumors of leaving. He did last year and was even more stern this year. He was told to make coaching moves. Grantham in and Sallach to a desk. Stepping up recruiting was another ultimatum. Cue the two usual suspects who will say this isn?t true, even though This comes from the horses (MK) mouth and first hand knowledge of it.

Howboutdemdogs
11-01-2017, 10:43 AM
Spider's point of having friction between CDM and Strick, was mentioned on ESPN U this AM. I believe it holds water, and one of the reasons why Strick left. CDM had more power. However, the relationship with Cohen and Keenum are strong and mutual in thinking,,,,that's my opinion.

TrapGame
11-01-2017, 10:47 AM
Sounds like Strick was a weak link. Cohen is a strong AD that works very well with DM and MK.

Cooterpoot
11-01-2017, 10:56 AM
Strick was more like Templeton. Let's just call it like it is. He was a cheap ass. He did get the marketing area rolling a little but that's it. Cohen is a success driven human being. It's about being successful and not being satisfied with him. Marketing might fall off a little, but everything else will be better. And I wasn't necessarily a Cohen for AD fan, but we all knew he'd push the envelop as far as winning and making sure we had the things in place to make our coaches jobs easier.
I think Dan had gotten very frustrated with the inability to get some coaching help like other programs and he was going to hit the road soon if Cohen hadn't gotten the job.

KB21
11-01-2017, 11:06 AM
Strick recently said as well that Dan was "very direct" and that he and Dan had some "very direct conversations".

Dan's not going to Florida is the bottom line.

Commercecomet24
11-01-2017, 11:12 AM
Strick was more like Templeton. Let's just call it like it is. He was a cheap ass. He did get the marketing area rolling a little but that's it. Cohen is a success driven human being. It's about being successful and not being satisfied with him. Marketing might fall off a little, but everything else will be better. And I wasn't necessarily a Cohen for AD fan, but we all knew he'd push the envelop as far as winning and making sure we had the things in place to make our coaches jobs easier.
I think Dan had gotten very frustrated with the inability to get some coaching help like other programs and he was going to hit the road soon if Cohen hadn't gotten the job.

Very well said! Strick was a bean counter, Cohen is a former coach who is competitive as heck. I think Dan was totally frustrated by Stricklin

Coursesuper
11-01-2017, 11:34 AM
Sounds like Strick was a weak link. Cohen is a strong AD that works very well with DM and MK.

I find it amazing that people think that an SEC football coach actually works for an AD.

Spiderman
11-01-2017, 01:55 PM
Are you just now realizing this? It was unfortunate but true. I think it's a big problem going forward everywhere because the coaches make millions and the ADs make considerably less. Who really has the power?

I was happy for Stricklin, he made the best move for him. I hope he makes a ton of money down there, puts it in the bank, and moves back to Mississippi at retirement and lives here forever. I hope his kids go to Mississippi State and settle in Mississippi.

Point of the post was ..... Mullen very doubtful to want to go work for Scott. #RIF

BB30
11-01-2017, 04:03 PM

Could be right... The fact that he thought it would be any different at UF is amusing. He just thought things got hot here from time to time... He has now stepped into a pressure cooker, we will get to see how good of an AD he actually is if he can handle the pressure at UF. They expect championships in football and anything short of that is going to be unsatisfactory. He boggles this hire and he is going to be looking for another job.

At some point coaches/ADs will realize that the grass isn't always greener at a bigger university. I personally think the mid tier jobs that still pay excellent money are the best ones out there. Especially for an AD. I could understand a coach wanting to leave to try and get somewhere he could win a NC or multiple but really don't understand an AD leaving.

thf24
11-01-2017, 04:21 PM
He boggles this hire and he is going to be looking for another job.

If Foley and Spurrier boggle this hire he's going to be looking for another job. If they make a good one, he'll get a quiet pat on the back. Either way, he has no control over what his perceived performance will be. If he makes it he'll probably get a larger share of the reigns as time goes on, but at the moment he can't be too thrilled with the position in which he's found himself.

Jack Lambert
11-01-2017, 04:26 PM
I think he wants to be SEC commissioner one day and to him Florida was a better plat form.

Coursesuper
11-01-2017, 04:34 PM
BB 30, Stricklin is going to have exactly as much to do with the hire at Fla as you are. He isn't running that show, he will stand in front of,the camera and smile when it's all over, but he is the surrogate for the men behind the curtain.

was21
11-01-2017, 05:07 PM
If all these comments are true, Stricklin must have one hell of an ulcer or is going to get one

BayouDawg
11-01-2017, 06:43 PM
Stricklin, like templeton, was a politician. They both brown nose their way through life. Templeton had his head so far up Slive's butt he wasnt even concerned with moving our program forward.
Stricklin will brown nose Foley and the other powers in Gainesville and collect a nice pay check.