PDA

View Full Version : Some Thoughts

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2017, 08:31 PM
- Awesome that we are ranked #16 in the CFP poll, ahead of LSU, & only 2 behind Auburn who is likely to have 4 losses. With a 3-1 finish, it puts us in prime position to potentially sneak into the NY6 or at worst play in the Citrus or Outback against a quality Big 10 team that will bring a ton of fans. Should be a great time regardless.

- Gotta play Bama tough. We always say there are no moral victories, but I believe there absolutely is in a system where eye test is valued

- Do you guys realize that had we drawn ANYONE but Georgia from the East on this year's schedule, we are likely playing Bama at home next Saturday night for the SEC West title? 17

- Tennessee? Really... Tennessee? I mean, he'll leave someday, but for better program than that. He'll easily be better than TN for the next two years & it's likely a better job than TN will open in that time.

- I know what the recruiting rankings say, but did A&M really have more talent than us the other night? The eye test told me it wasn't really that close in our favor

- Speaking of A&M, they have to get a coach with SEC experience, because, collectively, as a fan base, school, etc... they still see themselves as a Big 12 team & Big 12 school whose rivals are Texas, Baylor, Tech, OK, Ok St, & TCU. It's going to take them some time because they have a cultural problem. While it's an extremely cool atmosphere, it's also extremely weird to the point where I could see it scaring off certain types recruits & hard to see as a place that is "home".

- Want to keep your coach? Then show him how much you appreciate him by showing up at DWS Saturday for a crappy matchup. Show the commitment that it takes to take this program to the next level.

- Gotta find a way to get Montez Sweat back for 2018. My feel is that he could declare & go in the 3rd or so round as an underrated player. Come back next year after getting on the radar & he's a potential 1st round pick. He's way better than the Taco Charlton guy the Cowboys took in the back of the 1st this year.

- Errol Thompson - Holy S#$%. Courtney Upshaw 2.0

- I love the playoff committee & consider it, after free market TV rights, the next best thing that has happened to college football & MSU over the past 25+ years. Removes the BS & old biases from voting & decision making process. Makes it more possible for schools like MSU to make it to the top.

Commercecomet24
10-31-2017, 08:35 PM
Good stuff, Gun!

Dan really does have an eye for talent on both sides of the ball and develops the heck out of it!

preachermatt83
10-31-2017, 08:38 PM
Good post!

BrunswickDawg
10-31-2017, 08:38 PM
I?d say the only place A&M had more talent was WR - especially Christian Kirk. But, we still shut that shit down.

Tbonewannabe
10-31-2017, 08:58 PM
I?d say the only place A&M had more talent was WR - especially Christian Kirk. But, we still shut that shit down.

If we had Christian Kirk then we might have a better chance against Bama and might have beaten Auburn. That is the one thing this team is missing is a game breaker at WR.

LC Dawg
10-31-2017, 08:59 PM
If we had played any other East team, say Florida who was ranked 20 at the time, instead of Georgia we would have smoked them and gone into the Auburn game with confidence which may have changed the outcome of that game. Doesn?t really matter but drawing Georgia this year really sucks.
If Sweat has a dominant game against Bama I say he moves at least to the 2nd round and maybe even the 1st. He?s a stud.

msstate7
10-31-2017, 09:00 PM
Production wise, Taco and sweat are pretty comparable. Size wise though, not really... Taco is 6?6? 277 and ran a 4.7. I feel pretty certain sweat is faster, but he?s 6?6? 241. That 36 lb difference is a pretty big deal trying to be an outside lb in a 3-4 imo

Ifyouonlyknew
10-31-2017, 09:00 PM
I expect Sweat back. Yes he'd go 3-4th this year but has a legit chance at 1st rd next year.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-31-2017, 09:06 PM
Production wise, Taco and sweat are pretty comparable. Size wise though, not really... Taco is 6?6? 277 and ran a 4.7. I feel pretty certain sweat is faster, but he?s 6?6? 241. That 36 lb difference is a pretty big deal trying to be an outside lb in a 3-4 imo

Sweat is more of a Shane Ray type.

Liverpooldawg
10-31-2017, 09:07 PM
I'll be there Saturday. The big games take care of themselves. It's these where it's a bit of an effort and maybe you aren't really that interested in where it really helps your program if you show up. There are plenty of cheap tickets for this one. For the casual fan or a new or big family it's a perfect time to go see a college football game.

msstate7
10-31-2017, 09:08 PM
Sweat is more of a Shane Ray type.

Good call.

Todd4State
10-31-2017, 09:26 PM
Excellent post. I really like where we sit and if we take care of business we're either in the Citrus or the NY6.

I think A&M has talent. More talent? I'm not so sure. I think the difference between us is our players are much more developed from a football fundamentals and IQ standpoint.

I went to the A&M game and while it was a good atmosphere to me it was a little strange. I'll say this- if I was a recruit and it was between MSU and A&M and gameday atmosphere is the tiebreaker- it's MSU all the way. I do appreciate all of the cadet stuff and it is unique- but it's not exactly a hyped up atmosphere. And their cheers don't make a lot of sense to anyone that isn't an A&M fan. Their coolest tradition is the 12th man- but that's for a walk-on.

I'll be at the game Saturday Lord willing.