PDA

View Full Version : Mullen squashes rumors

preachermatt83
10-30-2017, 03:36 PM
Mullen repeated three times today, when asked abt Florida, that he loves it here, is invested here, and he is focused on the future at MSU. Take him at his word and stop freaking out

BulldogBear
10-30-2017, 03:37 PM
Mullen repeated three times today, when asked abt Florida, that he loves it here, is invested here, and he is focused on the future at MSU. Take him at his word and stop freaking out

Love that guy!!!!

preachermatt83
10-30-2017, 03:38 PM
When asked abt comparing his time at Florida versus his time here he brought up how well he gets along with States leadership. Letting folks know he didn't geehaw with the Florida high ups.

TrapGame
10-30-2017, 03:49 PM
Dan is on the verge of turning us into the LSU of Mississippi. He's gonna be around for several more years.

Bdawg
10-30-2017, 04:00 PM
That sounds a lot better than in the past when he wouldn’t come out and squash rumors

RocketDawg
10-30-2017, 04:07 PM
I'm guessing he gets along with Cohen much better than he did Stricklin. When Stricklin left and Cohen took over, it appeared to regenerate Dan's fire. And he was certainly on fire Saturday night for a coach who's "planning on leaving".

Jack Lambert
10-30-2017, 04:09 PM
I'm guessing he gets along with Cohen much better than he did Stricklin. When Stricklin left and Cohen took over, it appeared to regenerate Dan's fire. And he was certainly on fire Saturday night for a coach who's "planning on leaving".

One thing for sure Stricklin is fixing to earn his money. He makes the wrong hire he is gone himself.

BulldogBear
10-30-2017, 04:15 PM
One thing for sure Stricklin is fixing to earn his money. He makes the wrong hire he is gone himself.

That's what he's there for....to go to the gallows if it doesn't work out.

thf24
10-30-2017, 04:19 PM
That's what he's there for....to go to the gallows if it doesn't work out.

Exactly. He doesn't stand to "make" anything.

Coursesuper
10-30-2017, 04:31 PM

The only part of this hire at UF that he will participate in is the press conference when it's all over. Exactly like he did when Howland was hired here.

1bigdawg
10-30-2017, 04:32 PM
Florida is a great University with tons of resources, but this is going to be a tough hire. They just fired a coach who won his division in the only two full years he coached there. Think about it; any prospective coach will.

BulldogBear
10-30-2017, 04:52 PM
Florida is a great University with tons of resources, but this is going to be a tough hire. They just fired a coach who won his division in the only two full years he coached there. Think about it; any prospective coach will.

I think they rinse and repeat in 2-4 years. It's terrible. They basically are saying that anything less than a trip to the CFP is unacceptable. It's really too bad we don't play them every season like we did when I was growing up.

Tbonewannabe
10-30-2017, 05:04 PM
I think they rinse and repeat in 2-4 years. It's terrible. They basically are saying that anything less than a trip to the CFP is unacceptable. It's really too bad we don't play them every season like we did when I was growing up.

Before Spurrier, they weren't that great of a program. Too many programs want the instant success. I wonder if Saban could survive more than 2 years winning less than 9 games. I guess it would depend on who they lost to and by how much.

Todd4State
10-30-2017, 05:42 PM

I imagine that they already have their replacement. And it's not Dan. That's the only logical reason that I can think of as to why they would fire McElwain. Unless there was more going on behind the scenes. I may be wrong but I think it's Stoops.

Remember how Florida operated when they hired Stricklin- they first contacted him a few months before he was hired and no one knew anything about it until rumors started popping up in September or October.

Otherwise this is a completely bungled job hire situtation. Which is also possible.

Todd4State
10-30-2017, 05:45 PM
Before Spurrier, they weren't that great of a program. Too many programs want the instant success. I wonder if Saban could survive more than 2 years winning less than 9 games. I guess it would depend on who they lost to and by how much.

This is true. Spurrier was essentially their Mullen. They have the same problem most of the other big time programs have- too many influential boosters who want a say.

preachermatt83
10-30-2017, 06:03 PM
I imagine that they already have their replacement. And it's not Dan. That's the only logical reason that I can think of as to why they would fire McElwain. Unless there was more going on behind the scenes. I may be wrong but I think it's Stoops.

Remember how Florida operated when they hired Stricklin- they first contacted him a few months before he was hired and no one knew anything about it until rumors started popping up in September or October.

Otherwise this is a completely bungled job hire situtation. Which is also possible.
Which stoops?

DLGDawg
10-30-2017, 06:07 PM
Back in August is a really good listen. Talks about some of the same things that are being talked about here. Loves it here....can actually go to the grocery store here. She was going way out of her way to get groceries while at Florida things were so bad ie didn?t beat someone bad enough!!

msbulldog
10-30-2017, 06:08 PM

Nope, if Foley, Spurrier and other UF power brokers make the wrong hire, Strick gets thrown under the bus.

FISHDAWG
10-30-2017, 06:19 PM

I'm gonna find IYOK and rep him

Maroons
10-30-2017, 08:15 PM

Any renewed fire has been the result of OM finally being investigated and him knowing he's not fighting a losing battle in in-state recruiting anymore.

dotcomdawg
10-30-2017, 08:25 PM
BINGO! We have a winner!

It's exactly how Rick Ray was booted for Howland.

Anonymous
10-30-2017, 09:30 PM

You guys are missing the forest for the trees. Yes UF has won the East but they've done it with a team that likely loses 5 games if they played in the west.

They can't afford to let the spiral keep going down. Miami is on the rise, UGA is on the rise, UT is about to make a new hire. UF with Mac would have been 3rd string in their own state and trending toward the bottom of their division in the immediate future.

Not to mention the off field issues that supposedly exist.

Reunion Dog
10-30-2017, 09:35 PM
Mullen respects Keenum.... has nothing to do with Cohen... Keenum told him if he didn't beat tsun last year he was gone... if he beat them... then he would give him full extension on contract... That is the TRUTH!

Lance Harbor
10-30-2017, 10:18 PM
Keenum told him if he didn't beat tsun last year he was gone... if he beat them... then he would give him full extension on contract... That is the TRUTH!

The stupidity of this statement is millennial level offensive.

State82
10-30-2017, 10:21 PM
The stupidity of this statement is millennial level offensive.

Now THIS is the truth.

Todd4State
10-31-2017, 12:10 AM
Which stoops?

Bob

Todd4State
10-31-2017, 12:16 AM
You guys are missing the forest for the trees. Yes UF has won the East but they've done it with a team that likely loses 5 games if they played in the west.

They can't afford to let the spiral keep going down. Miami is on the rise, UGA is on the rise, UT is about to make a new hire. UF with Mac would have been 3rd string in their own state and trending toward the bottom of their division in the immediate future.

Yeah but he had just taken over the job. You can't expect to be competing with Alabama in year one even at Florida- you have to give it time to build.

Miami is having a dream season- is it sustainable? How much do they recruit the rest of the state outside of their loaded city? Georgia is on the rise. UT hasn't made a good hire since Johnny Majors. Even if they hired Gruden I still would have some questions about how he is going to perform there. He has been out of the college game for years and if I was a Tennessee fan I would worry that it would be like when Barry Switzer was with the Cowboys- a guy who has made his career and is just riding it out just coaching for fun basically.

BulldogBear
10-31-2017, 07:15 AM
Yeah but he had just taken over the job. You can't expect to be competing with Alabama in year one even at Florida- you have to give it time to build.

Miami is having a dream season- is it sustainable? How much do they recruit the rest of the state outside of their loaded city? Georgia is on the rise. UT hasn't made a good hire since Johnny Majors. Even if they hired Gruden I still would have some questions about how he is going to perform there. He has been out of the college game for years and if I was a Tennessee fan I would worry that it would be like when Barry Switzer was with the Cowboys- a guy who has made his career and is just riding it out just coaching for fun basically.

Sometimes times are just 'achanging and it sucks. But I believe some programs are making it harder and/or worse on themselves when they let their unrealistic expectations blind them to that. Florida has a better situation than Tennessee I think. With Vols so much has changed around them that I don't know they will ever be the old Vols for the near future. It's more circumstantial so it doesn't matter all that much who the coach is (another reason Mullen will not consider UT). For the forseeable future, MSU is actually a better situation than UT, and I mean at least the next 7-12 years. Back to the original point... Right now UT and UF are making their situations worse with unrealistic expectation level, especially at Tennessee. But it's similar to Ole Miss in one respect. Only people outside see the delusion. Nobody on the inside does. I expect Florida to really struggle to be better than 8-4 consistently for the forsee able future. If the east, sans UGA, remains weak and FSU struggles a couple of years it may look better on the surface for a couple of years continuing the illusion and setting up the next coach for failure. At UT it will be similar but 8-4 will be a great year. They won't see that though. Rinse repeat.

BrunswickDawg
10-31-2017, 07:43 AM
Sometimes times are just 'achanging and it sucks. But I believe some programs are making it harder and/or worse on themselves when they let their unrealistic expectations blind them to that. Florida has a better situation than Tennessee I think. With Vols so much has changed around them that I don't know they will ever be the old Vols for the near future. It's more circumstantial so it doesn't matter all that much who the coach is (another reason Mullen will not consider UT). For the forseeable future, MSU is actually a better situation than UT, and I mean at least the next 7-12 years. Back to the original point... Right now UT and UF are making their situations worse with unrealistic expectation level, especially at Tennessee. But it's similar to Ole Miss in one respect. Only people outside see the delusion. Nobody on the inside does. I expect Florida to really struggle to be better than 8-4 consistently for the forsee able future. If the east, sans UGA, remains weak and FSU struggles a couple of years it may look better on the surface for a couple of years continuing the illusion and setting up the next coach for failure. At UT it will be similar but 8-4 will be a great year. They won't see that though. Rinse repeat.

The college landscape has changed tremendously over the last 10 years as more and more schools add teams and money into the mix. Just use Georgia as an example. In 2010, Georgia still had the same 2 D1 football schools that we had always had - UGA and GT. Now, add in Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Savannah State, Kennesaw State -all in FBS, and Mercer in FCS - 3 of which didn't even have teams in 2010. Florida has seen UCF, FAU, FIU, USF all grow and become much more competitive.

While these second tier schools don't bleed top talent for the most part, they do bleed depth. We will see UF, FSU, and Miami all go through up/down cycles now that we have never seen. The margin for error in recruiting is too small. Injuries and suspensions have far bigger impacts now because of the bench depth not being what they could count on 15 years ago. It is actually a great equalizer for MSU. Everyone else is now seeing the impact of what having too many FBS programs can do. Why do you think Bama tried to kill UAB and kept Troy and other schools out of D1/FBS for so long??

BB30
10-31-2017, 09:30 AM
The college landscape has changed tremendously over the last 10 years as more and more schools add teams and money into the mix. Just use Georgia as an example. In 2010, Georgia still had the same 2 D1 football schools that we had always had - UGA and GT. Now, add in Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Savannah State, Kennesaw State -all in FBS, and Mercer in FCS - 3 of which didn't even have teams in 2010. Florida has seen UCF, FAU, FIU, USF all grow and become much more competitive.

While these second tier schools don't bleed top talent for the most part, they do bleed depth. We will see UF, FSU, and Miami all go through up/down cycles now that we have never seen. The margin for error in recruiting is too small. Injuries and suspensions have far bigger impacts now because of the bench depth not being what they could count on 15 years ago. It is actually a great equalizer for MSU. Everyone else is now seeing the impact of what having too many FBS programs can do. Why do you think Bama tried to kill UAB and kept Troy and other schools out of D1/FBS for so long??

Eh, The USF and UCF argument I agree with... GA southern, troy and UAB probably don't have but maybe 1 or two guys that would crack the 3rd team at bama/uga. The teams that are hurting the UF's, UGAs, UTs are schools like us who now are on a much more even playing field being televised every week and getting that SEC$$ which benefits us way more than it does a school that already has plenty of $$.

BrunswickDawg
10-31-2017, 10:14 AM
Eh, The USF and UCF argument I agree with... GA southern, troy and UAB probably don't have but maybe 1 or two guys that would crack the 3rd team at bama/uga. The teams that are hurting the UF's, UGAs, UTs are schools like us who now are on a much more even playing field being televised every week and getting that SEC$$ which benefits us way more than it does a school that already has plenty of $$.

You can't say that Troy may only have 1 player who could crack a 3rd team when they go into Baton Rouge and knock off LSU.

Maroonthirteen
10-31-2017, 10:37 AM

I'm buying that UF is trending down but I believe that is their reality. Urban Meyer is the most successful coach in their history. However there is something fundamentally VERY wrong at UF that he left for "health reasons" in the the middle of that success. ...and Muschamp was such a failure and now McElwain.

They caught lightening with Myer. They prObably didn't give Muschamp enough time. McElwain was just a bad hire.

Coursesuper
10-31-2017, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE=Maroonthirteen;827274]I'm buying that UF is trending down but I believe that is their reality. Urban Meyer is the most successful coach in their history. However there is something fundamentally VERY wrong at UF that he left for "health reasons" in the the middle of that success. ...and Muschamp was such a failure and now McElwain.

They caught lightening with Myer. They prObably didn't give Muschamp enough time. McElwain was just a bad hire.[/QUOTE

Someone has finally hit on it. There are systemic issues at Fla, I know two baseball coaches that worked there and they hated every minute of it. “ Worst place to work I’ve ever been”. I don’t know exactly what the issues are but all is not as it seems at Fla.

TrapGame
10-31-2017, 10:53 AM
[QUOTE=Maroonthirteen;827274]I'm buying that UF is trending down but I believe that is their reality. Urban Meyer is the most successful coach in their history. However there is something fundamentally VERY wrong at UF that he left for "health reasons" in the the middle of that success. ...and Muschamp was such a failure and now McElwain.

They caught lightening with Myer. They prObably didn't give Muschamp enough time. McElwain was just a bad hire.[/QUOTE

Someone has finally hit on it. There are systemic issues at Fla, I know two baseball coaches that worked there and they hated every minute of it. “ Worst place to work I’ve ever been”. I don’t know exactly what the issues are but all is not as it seems at Fla.

I wonder if we can throw Tennessee in that line of theory.

Dooley/Kiffin/Butch and not a damn one worth a shit.

preachermatt83
10-31-2017, 11:12 AM
Bob

Bobs done. Atleast for a couple of years

Maroonthirteen
10-31-2017, 11:33 AM
I think it is true you have to recruit nationally to get the players you need at UT. I think Fulmer did ANYTHING to get those players. I don't think Mullen will do the things Fulmer was willing to do.

I think Kiffen was a dumbass hire. I linked a story from a Vol fan website that believes Dooley and Jones was their 3rd choices. Which tells me coaches don't think as highly of Tennessee as Tennessee thinks of themselves. Maybe Mullen agrees with those other coaches. I do know he doesn't escape playing Saban at UT. However difference is he will have to beat Saban at UT.