PDA

View Full Version : UNM New Head Coach Dark Horse

KB549
10-30-2017, 08:52 AM
Late Saturday night ash watched SEC Network covering the McElwain press conference, Chizik just kinda sat there, not saying a lot. His body language was really telling. Ether it made him uncomfortable because he knew the co-hosts were going to bring up his Auburn firing, or he was worrying that now McElwain is about to become available. A guy who led Florida to Atlanta in his first two seasons. UNM has never been.

Chizik is no longer getting his monthly buyout payments from Auburn. Those ended about a year ago. He is the perfect fit for the Sharts. He has been there before....you know, a SEC school where boosters run the program, including the pay for play side. I don?t know what ESPN is paying, but I doubt its $3M. He would be willing to take the money and ride out the impending probabation, and be a yes man to the Network.

McElwain would fit in at Oxford like a Koch brother at the DNC, but he could essentially work for free. This may be important considering the fines that the NCAA could levy. He?s been to ATL, although with a weak East. He?s a ?big name? guy that may be willing to lead them through the wilderness. I think the money angle is what Chizik saw that scared him.

They won?t make a move until the bidding war with UT over Gruden is over. ***

TrapGame
10-30-2017, 09:03 AM
A two-bit retread.

The perfect hire for those scum bags.

thf24
10-30-2017, 09:07 AM
I'd be thrilled if either one of them took it. Chizik is worthless without a superstar or two and good help, and if McElwain couldn't handle the hostility he was receiving at UF, no way he can cut it at a freshly crippled OM.

Liverpooldawg
10-30-2017, 09:13 AM
Chizik would be perfect for UM. He knows how to look the other way. It wouldn’t surprise me to see McElwain up there though. Houston Nutt 2.0.

BulldogDX55
10-30-2017, 09:27 AM
A two-bit retread.

The perfect hire for those scum bags.

I fully expect them to hire a retread that is used to working with a "Network" and I think Chiz would be perfect for them.

Unfortunately for them, Cam Newton ain't walking through that door (and they won't have a Malzhan caliber OC)

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-30-2017, 09:39 AM
Late Saturday night ash watched SEC Network covering the McElwain press conference, Chizik just kinda sat there, not saying a lot. His body language was really telling. Ether it made him uncomfortable because he knew the co-hosts were going to bring up his Auburn firing, or he was worrying that now McElwain is about to become available. A guy who led Florida to Atlanta in his first two seasons. UNM has never been.

Chizik is no longer getting his monthly buyout payments from Auburn. Those ended about a year ago. He is the perfect fit for the Sharts. He has been there before....you know, a SEC school where boosters run the program, including the pay for play side. I don?t know what ESPN is paying, but I doubt its $3M. He would be willing to take the money and ride out the impending probabation, and be a yes man to the Network.

McElwain would fit in at Oxford like a Koch brother at the DNC, but he could essentially work for free. This may be important considering the fines that the NCAA could levy. He?s been to ATL, although with a weak East. He?s a ?big name? guy that may be willing to lead them through the wilderness. I think the money angle is what Chizik saw that scared him.

They won?t make a move until the bidding war with UT over Gruden is over. ***

McElwain already loves him some sharks so I think he'd fit in nicely.

TrapGame
10-30-2017, 09:44 AM
McElwain already loves him some sharks so I think he'd fit in nicely.

Can you imagine the internet memes State fans would generate off that hire?!!

Dawg61
10-30-2017, 09:51 AM
Yea no way the Landsharks hire the Shark ****er but it'd be more than hilarious if they did

starkvegasdawg
10-30-2017, 09:55 AM
Yea no way the Landsharks hire the Shark ****er but it'd be more than hilarious if they did

I?d hate to be their mascot.

Hey baby. Are your fins up or are you just happy to see me?

BeastMan
10-30-2017, 09:58 AM
Jay Hopson is the darkhorse. After they get told no 20 times and the Norvell pipe dreams get flushed, they’ll start to sell Hopson as an “OM guy who plays tough defense and can recruit MS”.

The other guy is Mike McIntyre. He coached DBs at OM years back and was also a DC for Cut at Duke so there are some OM connections. Played at Vandy (and GT) so there is an SEC affiliation. When you look at him he’s had 2 good years as a HC, 1 at SJSU and 1 at Colorado, but besides that he’s hasn’t been great. His HC record is 40-56 overall. This is why I think he’s go to OM no matter the sanctions or state of affairs in Oxford: He’s 52 and things are turning back down at Colorado after his 1 good year. He’s about to be back at lower-level P5 coordinator pay and he knows it. He can jump at OM and get 4 years guaranteed in the 12-15 million dollar range. If it doesn’t work out, he’s 56ish with a nest egg and can go back to being a DC at a Duke and be happy. If he can survive the first 4 years at OM and get to some extensions, you’re talking 20+ million dollar job. I think it makes too much sense for Mike financially. That said, I think he’s a horrible hire.

parabrave
10-30-2017, 10:11 AM
They need to face reality. They are not going to get any hotshot or up and coming coach. Their best option is to go to Hopson and offer him a 6 year contract so he will have a few years at rebuilding.

Tbonewannabe
10-30-2017, 10:14 AM
They need to face reality. They are not going to get any hotshot or up and coming coach. Their best option is to go to Hopson and offer him a 6 year contract so he will have a few years at rebuilding.

Legally can't offer him more than 4 but we kind of did that with Croom. Give them a 4 year contract with a hand shake agreement to extend it after the first 2 years.

NYDawg
10-30-2017, 10:49 AM
Rosie O'Donnell is more likely to be interested in the OM job than most of the names they've been floating.