PDA

View Full Version : Mullen to here Mullen to there

BuckyIsAB****
10-29-2017, 09:23 PM
Dan Mullen has one of the best jobs in college football. He can win 8-9 games, (sometimes less than that) and get paid a top 10-15 national salary, fanbase loves him (except last year) have a bulit in excuse that he cant win his conference bc of Nick Saban, yet his name gets thrown out for every job that opens up.

State would match any offer anyone would throw at Mullen so anyone who tries for him would have to pay an insane amount of money.

Why would he go to UF, or UT, we are currently a better program than both of them and would beat both of them by 14 pts if we played tomorrow.

His wife and kids love Starkville and I think he loves it too.

He is loaded at QB for the forseeable future can continue to build his QB whisperer brand, looks to have bright future at OL (shocking) and with the last class and the next 2 have potential to be game changers.

Saban has to be close to shutting it down soon, arguably we are in one of the best positions to take over once he does.

He finally has a DC he trusts and doesnt have to worry about anything but calling plays and the clock on saturdays.

Just my opinion. The Mullen leaving talk is so old and so shitty. We have 4 games left, 3 of them at home with a team that is playing well and is fun as hell to watch. Lets talk about that

QuadrupleOption
10-29-2017, 09:32 PM
I agree mostly. I don't think we are a better program than UF but they just fired a guy who won two division titles in his first two years, and they ran off Urban Meyer who won them TWO national titles (one more than Spurrier managed). That athletics program and fanbase is insane.

Ditto for UT.

Both fanbases are dominated by spoiled jackasses who can't imagine not winning a national title every year. As far as I'm concerned, I hope they never learn and keep running off coaches every time they have a hiccup. Eventually they'll sink into mediocrity because no coach with a future is going to want to take a job there.

I want Dan to stay because I think he's doing and has done a great job here, and I think he wants to stay because he appreciates that the MSU fanbase (aside from a few dipshits who can't help themselves) are pretty happy with the job he's done so far.

TrapGame
10-29-2017, 09:34 PM
I've been worried before but not now.

Anybody thinking Mullen is leaving now isn't paying attention. Mullen has it made here. Absolutely 17ing MADE!!!

HaggardDawg
10-29-2017, 09:37 PM
I wrote this in another thread. But Mullen has already PUBLICLY told us what he thinks of UF. When Geoff Collins left State to go to UF for the same position, he called it a lateral move and basically didn?t understand why Geoff would make that move.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2017, 10:00 PM
I agree mostly. I don't think we are a better program than UF but they just fired a guy who won two division titles in his first two years, and they ran off Urban Meyer who won them TWO national titles (one more than Spurrier managed). That athletics program and fanbase is insane.

Ditto for UT.

Both fanbases are dominated by spoiled jackasses who can't imagine not winning a national title every year. As far as I'm concerned, I hope they never learn and keep running off coaches every time they have a hiccup. Eventually they'll sink into mediocrity because no coach with a future is going to want to take a job there.

I want Dan to stay because I think he's doing and has done a great job here, and I think he wants to stay because he appreciates that the MSU fanbase (aside from a few dipshits who can't help themselves) are pretty happy with the job he's done so far.

Very well said.

Jack Lambert
10-29-2017, 10:04 PM
Only place Mullen is going to is a bank in Starkville to cash his Miss State check. He will be a five million dollar man in February.

Todd4State
10-29-2017, 10:18 PM
We've quietly become one of the better jobs in the SEC because we have a good mix of emphasis on football- facilities, paying coaches, fan support etc. and a fanbase that is far more sane than most of the others in the SEC. This despite not having the most money in the league- we get the most out of what we do have.

A lot of these other SEC schools would have fired Dan after 2015 or 2016 when he lost to South Alabama. He was never on the hot seat at all after either one of those seasons and even got an extension after last year. Compare that to Florida who is firing a guy that has won the SEC East TWICE.

On top of that our recruiting area is pretty good- lots of talent per capita in Mississippi and we're within a reasonable distance from Memphis and Lousiana which produce a lot of talent as well. And we don't have a Network that expects to control recruiting or the football program.

The other teams need to look at MSU and ask what and why are we doing it better rather than just blindly firing their coaches after a few years. Of course, that will mean a lot of big time boosters would have to humble themselves and let the coaches do their jobs and maybe signing some guys that only have 3 stars by their name and that's not going to happen so I guess we'll just have to keep kicking thier ass.

Oh- and I almost forgot- we have an AD and President that actually support and nurture our football program and coach in a positive way. Like you know- instead of trying to figure out a way to "fire him for cause" asking him what he needs to do his job and then helping him get that.

Todd4State
10-29-2017, 10:22 PM
Only place Mullen is going to is a bank in Starkville to cash his Miss State check. He will be a five million dollar man in February.

And Grantham should be right behind him in line with his 2 million dollar check. Heck, I'd be fine if the entire staff gets a raise if we win 9 games to be honest with you.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2017, 10:28 PM
We've quietly become one of the better jobs in the SEC because we have a good mix of emphasis on football- facilities, paying coaches, fan support etc. and a fanbase that is far more sane than most of the others in the SEC. This despite not having the most money in the league- we get the most out of what we do have.

A lot of these other SEC schools would have fired Dan after 2015 or 2016 when he lost to South Alabama. He was never on the hot seat at all after either one of those seasons and even got an extension after last year. Compare that to Florida who is firing a guy that has won the SEC East TWICE.

On top of that our recruiting area is pretty good- lots of talent per capita in Mississippi and we're within a reasonable distance from Memphis and Lousiana which produce a lot of talent as well. And we don't have a Network that expects to control recruiting or the football program.

The other teams need to look at MSU and ask what and why are we doing it better rather than just blindly firing their coaches after a few years. Of course, that will mean a lot of big time boosters would have to humble themselves and let the coaches do their jobs and maybe signing some guys that only have 3 stars by their name and that's not going to happen so I guess we'll just have to keep kicking thier ass.

Oh- and I almost forgot- we have an AD and President that actually support and nurture our football program and coach in a positive way. Like you know- instead of trying to figure out a way to "fire him for cause" asking him what he needs to do his job and then helping him get that.

That?s very well put! I remember back to 2013 when the rumor was floating that a lot of influential people wanted Dan fired. I shudder to think where we would be if that would?ve happened. I?m glad our admin stayed the course and allowed Dan to keep building this program and we are an upper half sec team now and on the cusp of perhaps even better. Time to step up to the next level!

Todd4State
10-29-2017, 10:41 PM
That?s very well put! I remember back to 2013 when the rumor was floating that a lot of influential people wanted Dan fired. I shudder to think where we would be if that would?ve happened. I?m glad our admin stayed the course and allowed Dan to keep building this program and we are an upper half sec team now and on the cusp of perhaps even better. Time to step up to the next level!

That season reminded me a little bit of 1996 when Jackie was on the hot seat and then beat Alabama and Ole Miss. Bobby Wallace was sort of the Hud of the 1990's for MSU fans in that he was thought to be a logical replacement if we needed one. Of course Jackie saved himself and we went on a nice four year run from 97-2000. Ironically a block by Josh Robinson of all people sprung Damien Williams of all people to get an OT win in Little Rock where we had never won before and then Dak had his legendary game to win the Egg Bowl followed up by us dominating Rice in the Liberty Bowl.

But as far as the administration that was where the key change needed to be made. Once Scott left and Cohen came in things started to turn around starting with our upset win over A&M in Starkville and culminating in an Egg Bowl win. After that season, Dan finished strong in recruiting, we got Grantham, and oh...we upgraded at baseball coach as well.

I think we're about to step it up a level from a 6-8 win team to an 8-10 win team. Actually, if you take out last year which was jacked up to say the least we would be there now starting with 2014 on. 10-3, 9-4, 6-7, and 6-2 so far this year with a good chance of at least 9 if we win the games we're favored. And I would not be shocked at all if we win 9-10 the next two years as well. Even including the 6 win season (Thanks Sirmon!) over 8 a year assuming we finish this year with 9-10 wins.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2017, 10:44 PM
That season reminded me a little bit of 1996 when Jackie was on the hot seat and then beat Alabama and Ole Miss. Bobby Wallace was sort of the Hud of the 1990's for MSU fans in that he was thought to be a logical replacement if we needed one. Of course Jackie saved himself and we went on a nice four year run from 97-2000. Ironically a block by Josh Robinson of all people sprung Damien Williams of all people to get an OT win in Little Rock where we had never won before and then Dak had his legendary game to win the Egg Bowl followed up by us dominating Rice in the Liberty Bowl.

But as far as the administration that was where the key change needed to be made. Once Scott left and Cohen came in things started to turn around starting with our upset win over A&M in Starkville and culminating in an Egg Bowl win. After that season, Dan finished strong in recruiting, we got Grantham, and oh...we upgraded at baseball coach as well.

I think we're about to step it up a level from a 6-8 win team to an 8-10 win team. Actually, if you take out last year which was jacked up to say the least we would be there now starting with 2014 on. 10-3, 9-4, 6-7, and 6-2 so far this year with a good chance of at least 9 if we win the games we're favored. And I would not be shocked at all if we win 9-10 the next two years as well. Even including the 6 win season (Thanks Sirmon!) over 8 a year assuming we finish this year with 9-10 wins.

Agreed. We are on the cusp of something special.

Bothrops
10-29-2017, 11:12 PM
We woulda won 8 games last year if Grantham was here.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2017, 11:13 PM

Yep. Because we now know from this year it wasn?t a talent issue, it was a crappy DC issue.

Hail State
10-30-2017, 01:10 AM
Dan Mullen has one of the best jobs in college football. He can win 8-9 games, (sometimes less than that) and get paid a top 10-15 national salary, fanbase loves him (except last year) have a bulit in excuse that he cant win his conference bc of Nick Saban, yet his name gets thrown out for every job that opens up.

State would match any offer anyone would throw at Mullen so anyone who tries for him would have to pay an insane amount of money.

Why would he go to UF, or UT, we are currently a better program than both of them and would beat both of them by 14 pts if we played tomorrow.

His wife and kids love Starkville and I think he loves it too.

He is loaded at QB for the forseeable future can continue to build his QB whisperer brand, looks to have bright future at OL (shocking) and with the last class and the next 2 have potential to be game changers.

Saban has to be close to shutting it down soon, arguably we are in one of the best positions to take over once he does.

He finally has a DC he trusts and doesnt have to worry about anything but calling plays and the clock on saturdays.

Just my opinion. The Mullen leaving talk is so old and so shitty. We have 4 games left, 3 of them at home with a team that is playing well and is fun as hell to watch. Lets talk about that

We are the third best program in the SEC West right now. And fourth best in the league (Georgia). Bama and Auburn are currently still ahead of us program-wise but we passed LSU this year with our current state and them hiring Oregeron. Passed Arky a while back. OM had to cheat to keep up. A&M is a sleeping giant that can't get it together. Florida and Tennessee will never have long term sustained success due to unrealistic expectations. South Carolina is back to being South Carolina and UK, Vandy, and Mizzou are what they've always been. That's why Mullen is not leaving. We've invented a new formula for success here at State with being realistic and going all in on whatever it takes to win.

Maroonthirteen
10-30-2017, 05:43 AM
I wrote this in another thread. But Mullen has already PUBLICLY told us what he thinks of UF. When Geoff Collins left State to go to UF for the same position, he called it a lateral move and basically didn?t understand why Geoff would make that move.

That is helluva good point Haggard. I forgot all about that. I imagine others have too. That quote needs to be dug up and tweeted to a few media types.

MSUMatt
10-30-2017, 06:00 AM
I personally have no clue whatsoever what Dan will do. I will say this, either way, he has the program in the position right now to have the best chance of moving on with little as few potential side effects as any program could hope for. At the end of the day, if he did move on, we essentially got 10 years, 8 bowl games, a #1 ranking, and multiple successful pros. You would have to tip your cap and say good luck to him.

Dawgface
10-30-2017, 07:31 AM
I've been worried before but not now.

Anybody thinking Mullen is leaving now isn't paying attention. Mullen has it made here. Absolutely 17ing MADE!!!

Agree.

HaggardDawg
10-30-2017, 08:25 AM
Another thing to remember regarding UF, Mullen would probably talk to Urban about that job. Remember, urban had just won two natties and 2 years later he?s about to have a heart attack from the pressure and leaves.

TrapGame
10-30-2017, 08:46 AM

Abso -freakin'- lutely!!! Hell, we might have squeezed out 9 with this D!!

BB30
10-30-2017, 08:56 AM
Abso -freakin'- lutely!!! Hell, we might have squeezed out 9 with this D!!

Grantham has been awesome and we also added several guys in last years class that have really helped this D out. Some of those Juco signings and having Dez healthy have really helped us a lot as well. Now we just need a couple corners that can lock it down and we will be filthy.

Reason2succeed
10-30-2017, 09:04 AM
Mullen ain't leaving because he's a student of the game. He's read and studied Bowden, Spurrier, Schembechler, Holtz, etc. He realizes that the best position is to build a program from the bottom up and make it into a perennial player. The short of it: Mullen wants a statue. He could get DWS renamed after him if State wins a NC. If not, he can have a 20 year career here and pull down insane money and still be considered a legendary coach. At other schools he could be fired in 3-5 years and his whole career is in a free fall and he's hobbling trying to get another P5 job. Why risk it?

GoDawgz
10-30-2017, 09:04 AM
Coach Mullen has a chance at "Legend" status at State, if he's not there already, can he achieve that status at UF, UT, TAMU etc..... I think not, hard to beat the ghost of the past....Saban is about the only one that I can think of that has done that.

FISHDAWG
10-30-2017, 09:13 AM
Mullen has been here going on almost 10 years now since he took over ... don't kid yourselves - anything's possible

TrapGame
10-30-2017, 09:18 AM
Mullen ain't leaving because he's a student of the game. He's read and studied Bowden, Spurrier, Schembechler, Holtz, etc. He realizes that the best position is to build a program from the bottom up and make it into a perennial player. The short of it: Mullen wants a statue. He could get DWS renamed after him if State wins a NC. If not, he can have a 20 year career here and pull down insane money and still be considered a legendary coach. At other schools he could be fired in 3-5 years and his whole career is in a free fall and he's hobbling trying to get another P5 job. Why risk it?

And Dan is young enough to wait on Saban to retire from Alabama. They will take a step back. Not a fall like LSU but it will be a slight stumble.

IMissJack
10-30-2017, 11:30 AM
#13 budget in the SEC is still a lot better than many jobs a coach could take. It's not like there are $5M jobs all over the place.