PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Rumor: SEC Country - Tennessee

msstatelp1
10-29-2017, 07:18 PM
Says TN has offered Jon Gruden $10 million. Also interested in Gary Patterson, Bobby Petrino, and Jeff Brohm.

link for those that want it but it's only about a paragraph:

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/coaching-rumors-tennessee-offered-jon-gruden-10-million-year-also-eyeing-bobby-petrino

msstate7
10-29-2017, 07:20 PM
That would double his espn salary. If I were gonna straight up try and buy a big name, I would offer urban the 10 million first

ETA... no I don?t think urban would come, but he?s worth 10; I don?t think gruden is

Bully13
10-29-2017, 07:23 PM
TN has had all they can take. tickles the shit out of me. they can't handle the facts of the changed landscape. 17 them and their little sister bitch in Mempho.

Bucky Dog
10-29-2017, 07:26 PM
Yep they are going to get Gruden for whatever it costs them. His boys are grown now, and his wife is from east TN and was a cheerleader there when he was a GA if not mistaken. From the inside, they know with what they have shown on the field and with their hires over the past 10-15 years, the only way to be relevant again is to pony up and pay to get the splash hire.

And FWIW, Florida is going to get Scott Frost. Young, energetic offensive minded and has a year or so getting accustomed to the recruiting in Florida.

Todd4State
10-29-2017, 07:27 PM
Tennessee hasn't made a good hire since Johnny Majors. And I'm not counting Phil Fulmer backstabbing Majors as "a hire".

Patterson would be the best out of that bunch but I highly doubt he leaves. Gruden hasn't coached college football in who knows how long? Can he recruit? What is he going to run there? Spider 2 Y-Banana over and over? Petrino- LOL. Brohm seems kind of risky at this point but has high upside. I want to see what he does at Purdue for a couple of more years to get a better read on him.

Bucky Dog
10-29-2017, 07:31 PM
Tennessee hasn't made a good hire since Johnny Majors. And I'm not counting Phil Fulmer backstabbing Majors as "a hire".

Patterson would be the best out of that bunch but I highly doubt he leaves. Gruden hasn't coached college football in who knows how long? Can he recruit? What is he going to run there? Spider 2 Y-Banana over and over? Petrino- LOL. Brohm seems kind of risky at this point but has high upside. I want to see what he does at Purdue for a couple of more years to get a better read on him.

Yeah it's not going to be Petrino. They don't want all the baggage. What I'm saying is they are into wanting to make the "splash" hire and feel good story with Gruden and just feel his name will make them relevant, and he can get a good staff and recruit. We shall see this n this next month or so.

Todd4State
10-29-2017, 07:35 PM
Yep they are going to get Gruden for whatever it costs them. His boys are grown now, and his wife is from east TN and was a cheerleader there when he was a GA if not mistaken. From the inside, they know with what they have shown on the field and with their hires over the past 10-15 years, the only way to be relevant again is to pony up and pay to get the splash hire.

And FWIW, Florida is going to get Scott Frost. Young, energetic offensive minded and has a year or so getting accustomed to the recruiting in Florida.

I figured Scott would want PJ Fleck for his marketing ability.

Todd4State
10-29-2017, 07:36 PM
Yeah it's not going to be Petrino. They don't want all the baggage. What I'm saying is they are into wanting to make the "splash" hire and feel good story with Gruden and just feel his name will make them relevant, and he can get a good staff and recruit. We shall see this n this next month or so.

Yep. The boosters will help him assemble a staff that can recruit and let him pick the coordinators.

DogsofAnarchy
10-29-2017, 07:40 PM
Says TN has offered Jon Gruden $10 million. Also interested in Gary Patterson, Bobby Petrino, and Jeff Brohm.

link for those that want it but it's only about a paragraph:

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/coaching-rumors-tennessee-offered-jon-gruden-10-million-year-also-eyeing-bobby-petrino

Gruden getting hired doesn?t scare me a bit. His Ra Ra bullshit isn?t gonna work. How long has it been since that guy coached?

Frost doesn?t scare me a bit. Come on to the SEC and let?s see it work.

fader2103
10-29-2017, 08:24 PM
All you gotta watch out for is Spider 2 Y Banana.

fader2103
10-29-2017, 08:26 PM
Also has anyone told Tenn boosters that TSUN is already working something out with Gruden?

BrunswickDawg
10-29-2017, 08:44 PM
Gruden hasn?t coached in a decade. Hasn?t coached in college since 1991. Has never been a college head coach. Name me a single college head coach who has ever been out of the game that long and won? I can?t think of one. The only coach I can think of who took a long hiatus and came back and won was Dick Vermiel.

I?m going to call Gruden to Tennessee a bust - if it happens at all.

Leroy Jenkins
10-29-2017, 08:56 PM
Gruden ain’t gonna deal with the crootin BS in college football.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2017, 09:01 PM
Never say never but I?ve heard Gruden say repeatedly he?s not interested in coaching college. He only works about 4 months a year and makes millions and doesn?t have to put up with anyone?s bs. Why would he give that up?

msstate7
10-29-2017, 09:04 PM
Gruden makes 4-5 million at espn. He has endorsements with hooters, corona, and the tire company. No way gruden gives up that gig to kiss HS boys butts

Cooterpoot
10-29-2017, 09:08 PM
Fake news. TN ain’t paying anybody that much.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2017, 09:09 PM
Gruden makes 4-5 million at espn. He has endorsements with hooters, corona, and the tire company. No way gruden gives up that gig to kiss HS boys butts

Exactly! I just can?t see how anyone would give that up. He?s got a really nice, easy life with no one to answer to and no ones bs to put up with. I pray for that kind of job.

SapperDawg
10-29-2017, 09:16 PM
I wont link it, but Bleacher Report had a story by our friend Sallee in 2012 discussing Gruden to TN. Google “Gruden learning the spread” and it will be the first link.

Here is another Q&A he did after his firing at Tampa Bay regarding his near term outlook (first post):

http://www.maddentips.com/forums/showthread.php?121922-Jon-Gruden-on-Spread-Offense

Now, I agree with Bruns...Gruden has some rust on him from a coaching standpoint in general, and even more so in the collegiate ranks, and if I was the AD he would be down the list. That being said, I want to play devils advocate and walk the dog on a strategy that would work with him.

1. Absence from football: It is not like he has been out of football for the last eight years. Between his QB Camp, the offseason clinics and MNF; I would say he has remained very close to the game. My gut says his contact list is long, and if TN is willing to spend that kind of money on him and they are willing to invest on that same level for assistants, then he could assemble a really top notch staff.

2. Recruiting and player development: He would most defiantly attract highly rated recruits that wanted to get to the NFL by pitching his contacts and ability to to develop....note that the ability to develop would come from the QB Camp stuff combined with his in-depth knowledge of the League. This could make up for the modern day recruiting weakness at TN.

3. Getting back in the college game: With GA on the ascent with a freshman QB, TN can plan on two years to get Gruden back in the game and some key recruits in place. Year three should be their target year to jump back on the competive ladder (assuming the GA QB heads to the NFL early), as a new QB in the SEC is tradtionally good for a loss or two. That should be plenty of time to knock the rust off.

So you could potentially improve the staff overall, increase recruiting ability and potentially player development, while having a strategy to be competitive in the East in two to three years.

Will TN pay him $20M to knock the rust off while re-learning the college game? Is he willing to hire coaches currently in the game to fully run the day to day operations, while he focuses on the CEO aspects of the game early on?

I can see where this would be tempting to a distraught fan base.

LC Dawg
10-29-2017, 09:31 PM
The only thing that will be accomplished by throwing crazy money at coaches right now is to raise the avg pay of SEC coaches. The SEC is not going to change much until Saban leaves Alabama.

yjnkdawg
10-30-2017, 10:10 AM
$10 million sounds unreal for TN, but who knows? Butch Jones is making $4.11 million, and had the possibility of getting a max bonus of $1 million. At $10 million they would have the 2nd highest payed HC in College Football. Saban makes $11+ million according to ESPN.

TrapGame
10-30-2017, 10:18 AM
Looks like Butch will coach against USM this Saturday.

My money is on a full meltdown and USM winning by a 4.

Tbonewannabe
10-30-2017, 10:22 AM
$10 million sounds unreal for TN, but who knows? Butch Jones is making $4.11 million, and had the possibility of getting a max bonus of $1 million. At $10 million they would have the 2nd highest payed HC in College Football. Saban makes $11+ million according to ESPN.

Is UT out of their budget crisis? I know a few years ago they had to stop payments to the academic side because of their financial situation.

War Machine Dawg
10-30-2017, 10:39 AM
Is UT out of their budget crisis? I know a few years ago they had to stop payments to the academic side because of their financial situation.

I believe Forbes recently ranked them as the 2nd wealthiest athletic department behind only Texas. They should be flush with cash.

Jack Lambert
10-30-2017, 11:11 AM
If that happens and Florida gets Kelly the East with GA will have some serious credibility.