PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Maroon is all that Matters edition

Coach34
10-29-2017, 10:54 AM
1. You know that feeling when you have had just a crappy week at work with Friday being the absolute worst- and you just hope that the weekend is decent so you can relax? That was me heading into Saturday's games. In no way did I expect my Saturday to be absolutely perfect after the week I had. But Saturday couldnt have been better. Upig absolutely crushed the souls of Bearfin fans, Butch Jones found another way to lose, my inch and half ribeye was cooked absolutely perfectly and our Mississippi State Bulldogs went into College Station to dominate the ballgame from start to finish. I was certainly singing Ice Cube as I went to bed last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CPlF-IEkXQ

2. Good game from Fitz. They made it tougher on us to throw the ball but we hit a few big plays. They had some talent in the Secondary so the windows were smaller for Fitz- which resulted in a pick on our first drive on the deflection. Their pass rush was good as they got a couple of sacks. Fitz did a helluva job avoiding another sack and delivered a perfect pass just before getting hit to Jesse Jackson early on. Big play to Green helped another drive. But we did struggle some in the passing game as we only completed 12/21 passes. Fitz got his usual 100 yards- the best run was for 45 yards on the option to the short side of the field. A&M was overplaying us to the wide side of the field and slanting their DL that way. We ran the option to the short side and blocked it perfectly (we zoned right with the OL)- CB took pitch- leaving Fitz a running lane for 45 yards. Good call by Dan Walsh and great execution.

3. 52 rushes to 21 passes and I loved it. We were the more physical team and we made sure they knew it. Great gameplan by Mullen to turn it into a physical game. Dont give those pass rushers chances to make big plays. Make them do what they dont enjoy as much- play the run. They made it tough on us at times- but we kept on plugging along and for the most part stayed out of alot of 3rd and longs. Fitz threw a strike to Gray for a TD on a slant, and also to Thomas on what looked like a wheel route- with Thomas breaking wide open. Couple of fumbles last night which was unusual for us- but the streak continues as we were able to fall on them.

4. 2 sacks and 5 TFL's for the OL. While not good numbers- they played solid. There were no big screw-ups that caused Fitz to get hammered or anything. They played pretty well in a loud stadium against a good DL. Proud of Eiland for the way he is holding up. Jenkins got a holding penalty but that is going to happen at times. These guys kept battling and stayed physical inside. They just lined up and whipped A&M's ass on Gibson's TD run. Glad to see him get his 1st TD

5. Jesse Jackson has finally come alive and is making some crucial catches. He isnt going to run away from anyone-but the guy catches the ball in tight spots. Alot to be said for that. More playing time came for Reggie Todd although he didnt catch a ball. He and Couch still have 11 combined catches on the season.

6. Defensively- the game plan was outstanding. Be physical and stop the run. Force Mond to make throws against us. Those 2 drops to start the game for A&M were huge for us. They hit one of those- Mond gets confidence and that crowd gets even louder- and it would have taken us alot longer to wear them down. Huge break for us to start the game. A&M was 16/41 in the passing game. We forced them into 12 more throws than their per game average. Stopping the run was huge- 28/96 yards.

7. DL played great and was dominant. Love watching these guys every Saturday. Their effort and passion chasing the football is what you want to see when you watch your defense. Cory Thomas made it back on the field some but Hoyett still played alot. Sweat remains an absolute beast and is climbing draft boards. The twists and stunts we run gave the Aggies some problems, forcing Mond to throw earlier- but also forced Mazzone to call more quick, sideways passes.

8. LB'ers played well again. Leo probably played one of his best games but still missed a big tackle on Mond's 33 yard run. They ran the zone read and Leo had Mond 1 on 1 and just didnt make the tackle. Got to lock that down. Good to see Harris come back after getting hurt early on. I love watching Thompson play- he is going to be a good one. Gerri Green is playing faster than he ever has. His light has come on finally. Less thinking- more reacting.

9. Secondary was solid. Cant let people behind us 2 plays in a row to start a game. We were very fortunate. 3 picks is a big day- but they were due to bad throws. The first pick was a slant route that was just overthrown by a step and the WR knocked it up in the air for us. Peters TD was on a pass thrown behind the WR. But we did what we are supposed to do- make offenses pay for mistakes. Our DB's also came up and tackled well on the quick passes. Their WR's couldnt block us at all, we just tore thru them.

10. Less than 300 yards of Total Offense given up again this week. Great job by the defense. 12th in the country in Scoring D and 6th in the country in Total D. Best D of the Mullen Era and the exciting part is that we will only lose 5 or so guys on the 2-deep. Sweat stays and this D could be scary good in 2018. But 2017 sure is fun to watch.

11. No Fitz is not a better overall QB than Dakota Prescott was his Jr year. Fitz is a better runner- no doubt. But his decision-making in the passing game and the other intangibles QB's posses aren't there yet. Can he get there? Sure- he is actually more talented than Prescott. It's all about reaching your potential. We are very fortunate though to have followed up Prescott with this type of talent at the position and its fun watching him get better and better.

12. We're not going to beat Bama- so go ahead and get that out of your little heads. Our defense would have to score a couple of TD's for that to even have a chance to happen. Mullen just doesnt do well vs Saban/Smart defenses. We wont be able to be consistent enough in the run game and dont have the WR's to make enough plays to take down Bama. We will play them much better than usual though and stay in the game awhile. Just dont see us upping that 8 PPG average Mullen has vs Bama in 8 previous seasons.

13. Did anybody else enjoy watching the UPig kicker continue to get practice kicks after OM called time-out after time-out to ice him? Great job of coaching there by the ST's coach at UPig. They call a TO? go ahead and snap it and let the kicker get his kick in. Loved that. Bert tried every way possible to lose that game yesterday- but the Bearfins just wouldnt let him. Well done Mississippi. We are going to run for over 300 yards against both of those teams and there is nothing they can do about it.

Hail State

bulldawg28
10-29-2017, 11:15 AM
Fawk Bama

BrunswickDawg
10-29-2017, 11:22 AM
C34 - getting back into coaching has made you much more realistic and fair in expectations and evaluations. It?s good to see.

I will say there is 1 way we can beat Bama. They have not been challenged all season. Not one single game. If they sleepwalk in their prep this week thinking thy are playing same Ol Mittippi Tate and we punch them in the mouth early, and they then have a game with 5 turnovers (like against OM a couple of years ago) we have a punchers chance. I don?t believe it will happen, but that?s what it would take.

Sacrifice
10-29-2017, 11:37 AM
Sweat is a freakin animal! This guy is in the back field almost every play then you see him 30 yards down field tackling a wr! Just unreal

Bully13
10-29-2017, 11:39 AM
We held them to their lowest 1st half yardage in 9 yrs. Most of their yds came after the outcome was decided.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2017, 11:43 AM
Great analysis, Coach. These last 3 weeks have been some of your best ever! Keep it coming. I don?t think we beat bama either but we are a very physical team on both los and I think we beat on them a bit and challenge them. I think it?s gonna be an old school sec slobber knocker.

BuckyIsAB****
10-29-2017, 01:16 PM
If we can get 3 turnovers we can have a shot at Bama. DWS needs to be rocking for that one. 99 percent sure it will be the 6 15 game

BeastMan
10-29-2017, 01:20 PM
The OL set the tone and it led to a dominating performance. Our inside guys are so physical (Jenkins, Calhoun, and Williams). The 2 freshman at tackle give me the warm and fuzzies for the future. We get 3 more freaking years of those 2 holding the edge.

IMissJack
10-29-2017, 01:22 PM
If we can get 3 turnovers we can have a shot at Bama. DWS needs to be rocking for that one. 99 percent sure it will be the 6 15 game

As long as we have zero turnovers.

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-29-2017, 01:33 PM
C34 - getting back into coaching has made you much more realistic and fair in expectations and evaluations. It?s good to see.

I will say there is 1 way we can beat Bama. They have not been challenged all season. Not one single game. If they sleepwalk in their prep this week thinking thy are playing same Ol Mittippi Tate and we punch them in the mouth early, and they then have a game with 5 turnovers (like against OM a couple of years ago) we have a punchers chance. I don?t believe it will happen, but that?s what it would take.

There is no reason for Bama not to be #1. However, they have played a terrible schedule. Their best win is either at Texas AM or against a 2-5 Florida State team. We will see how good Bama actually is in November.

That being said I dont think we can beat them. C34 is right, our offense would need to score several times against their D, and we just don't match up well with them. One can hope though...The atmosphere is going to be awesome. Probably better than LSU at the beginning.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2017, 01:41 PM
The OL set the tone and it led to a dominating performance. Our inside guys are so physical (Jenkins, Calhoun, and Williams). The 2 freshman at tackle give me the warm and fuzzies for the future. We get 3 more freaking years of those 2 holding the edge.

Absolutely 100% correct!

Mutt the Hoople
10-29-2017, 01:41 PM
Two things:

1) Fitz had one of his best passing performances last night. While it wasn't for over 200 yards, he was throwing some bullets into some very tight windows. They were throws an NFL quarterback has to make.

2) 13. Did anybody else enjoy watching the UPig kicker continue to get practice kicks after OM called time-out after time-out to ice him? Great job of coaching there by the ST's coach at UPig. They call a TO? go ahead and snap it and let the kicker get his kick in. Loved that. Bert tried every way possible to lose that game yesterday- but the Bearfins just wouldnt let him. Well done Mississippi. We are going to run for over 300 yards against both of those teams and there is nothing they can do about it.

And their kicker was talking smack at the OM defense the whole time. Hit four straight field goals. Loved it.

Percho
10-29-2017, 01:56 PM
Mississippi State will beat Alabama........................................... .................................................. .................................................. ....................!

thf24
10-29-2017, 02:26 PM
I really hope Sweat is back next year. Him lining up at OLB next to Rivers at DE next to Simmons at NT would be a special kind of hell for anyone's OL. But it's getting less and less likely with each game.

msstate7
10-29-2017, 02:29 PM
I really hope Sweat is back next year. Him lining up at OLB next to Rivers at DE next to Simmons at NT would be a special kind of hell for anyone's OL. But it's getting less and less likely with each game.

Isn?t sweat a lot like Haynes at OM? Haynes didn?t receive a very good draft report despite outstanding pressure stats in college

thf24
10-29-2017, 02:42 PM
Isn?t sweat a lot like Haynes at OM? Haynes didn?t receive a very good draft report despite outstanding pressure stats in college

I think Haynes' problem is that he doesn't jump off the page athletically. Sweat's measurables should be quite a bit better.

Jack Lambert
10-29-2017, 02:46 PM
Was that deflection made while pass interference was taking place? That guy was wrapped all around our WR.

LC Dawg
10-29-2017, 08:30 PM
I like the way Jesse Jackson uses his body to shield defenders. I?ve always thought he could be a good possession receiver for us but he hasn?t been completely healthy until this year. Did he play the entire game yesterday? I was surprised he didn?t get another pass after that first drive.