PDA

View Full Version : It's official we offered MRA lineman, Sean Rawlings.

Thick
09-25-2013, 09:34 AM
This kid is 6'6 290, and has a mean streak. He plays bball, and has really good feet. He had offers from Vandy, Wake Forest, ULL, and us. He was asked to walk on at OM. His family are huge Bearsharks, but his mother says they are completely impressed with MSU and really like Greg Knox.

Sean actually likes Hev, go figure!! They do not like Nix, think he's got no respect for MAIS kids. Sean will be like Justin, a quick study, will work his ass off, and get stronger under Balis.

CJDAWG85
09-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Hope we get him... Love a big O Linemen with a mean streak

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2013, 09:39 AM
Whats interesting is that we are actually having some success with MAIS offensive lineman. Malone has done well, and Clayborn seems to be standing out among the freshman. Maybe the private school kids are just smarter and pick up on the offense and techniques quicker, or maybe it just does't matter what level of high school football you play and each player is just evaluated "as is".

bocfarm
09-25-2013, 09:40 AM
from Bulldawgs247
jeffrawlings

I think your chances are excellent.

Sincerely,

Dad

Coach34
09-25-2013, 09:51 AM
from Bulldawgs247
jeffrawlings

I think your chances are excellent.

Sincerely,

Dad

good deal. MRA graduates are some of the best people you will meet. Especially me.

Malone was a good pick-up, I hate like hell he got hurt. Clayborn is being called the best of the three freshmen we signed last year right now. Hopefully this guy will get on board and continue the streak of getting solid private school linemen.

Bo Darville
09-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Maybe the private school kids are just smarter and pick up on the offense and techniques quicker, or maybe it just does't matter what level of high school football you play and each player is just evaluated "as is".

Anthony Steen has been a starter at Alabama for 3 years. You've got to be real good to start for Saban on the OL for 30-something games.

Players should be evaluated "as is". Look at the competition that Jon Banks played against. Pitiful competition, but he could play. We have also seen that the private school competition is much better than people always imagined. I heard stories of how 0-10 public 1A schools would whip 10-0 Jackson Prep by 50 points. The private schools have generally gotten the better of the public schools despite usually having the smaller enrollment in the matchups.

I don't know anything about Rawlings, but I say sign him if he can help us. If he can't help us then I don't want him. I really don't care what school he went to. I just want to win football games.

CJDAWG85
09-25-2013, 10:27 AM
good deal. MRA graduates are some of the best people you will meet. Especially me.

Malone was a good pick-up, I hate like hell he got hurt. Clayborn is being called the best of the three freshmen we signed last year right now. Hopefully this guy will get on board and continue the streak of getting solid private school linemen.

Coach when did you graduate from MRA?

bocfarm
09-25-2013, 10:37 AM
I know you have to have size and willingness to work hard but intelligence is key imo

hailmari
09-25-2013, 10:49 AM
That's good about Clayborn. I remember some people questioning his offer last year.

FISHDAWG
09-25-2013, 10:49 AM
building around Elijah Staley !

HancockCountyDog
09-25-2013, 11:00 AM
building around Elijah Staley !

I think its great that we will be able to RS a solid HS QB, two actually. Let him sit for at least two years, and then let him compete for the starting job in his third year. That is how you build depth at QB.

messageboardsuperhero
09-25-2013, 11:02 AM
It seems like every private school kid we've gotten recently has worked out really well.

Addison and Cam Lawrence started multiple years.
Justin Malone started last year as a freshman and this year until he got hurt.
Clayborne has looked good in practice as a true freshman.
Baker has been a solid punter.
Even Johnathan Mackenzie was good until he quit to focus on school.

Also, Anthony Steen is really good at Bama, and Prewitt is having a nice career at UM.

maroonmania
09-25-2013, 11:07 AM
This kid may be a heck of a player, I don't know and I hope that he is and if so that we get him. BUT it just looks like that we are determined at MSU to strictly go after OL that are unranked or lower ranked "diamond in the rough" types. Seriously has Mullen and Hevesy signed ANY HS 4 or 5 star linemen in recruiting other than Robinson (who we knew based on availability of offers was overranked when we signed him)? Derrek Sherrod, who was a very good OL for us, is the last one I can remember. Meanwhile the Bears are now reeling in the high rated OL with regularity.

Coach34
09-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Coach when did you graduate from MRA?

Late 80's

smootness
09-25-2013, 11:16 AM
Baker has been a solid punter.

He's actually been really, really good.

We allowed, what, 6 yards on punt returns all of last year?

CadaverDawg
09-25-2013, 11:23 AM
This kid may be a heck of a player, I don't know and I hope that he is and if so that we get him. BUT it just looks like that we are determined at MSU to strictly go after OL that are unranked or lower ranked "diamond in the rough" types. Seriously has Mullen and Hevesy signed ANY HS 4 or 5 star linemen in recruiting other than Robinson (who we knew based on availability of offers was overranked when we signed him)? Derrek Sherrod, who was a very good OL for us, is the last one I can remember. Meanwhile the Bears are now reeling in the high rated OL with regularity.

Jake Thomas was a 4 star last year I think. But no, not many. I like when guys pan out, but Our staff has GOT to do a better job at recruiting OLinemen. We have figured it out on the DLine, but not the OLine. I don't know if it's Hevesy, Mullen, or what...but we have got to do better if we want to compete in the trenches like MSU's best teams have done in the past.

Coach34
09-25-2013, 11:38 AM
I'm not seeing the problems other people see with our OL. When the scheme is shitty and predictable- your OL will be also

If you look at our OL since Dakota took over- they are a different group. And they will continue to be as long as he plays

mic
09-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Jake Thomas was a 4 star last year I think. But no, not many. I like when guys pan out, but Our staff has GOT to do a better job at recruiting OLinemen. We have figured it out on the DLine, but not the OLine. I don't know if it's Hevesy, Mullen, or what...but we have got to do better if we want to compete in the trenches like MSU's best teams have done in the past.

I agree we need to get that ONE cant miss SEC OL , but we can NEVER have too many OL..

Thick
09-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Speaking of smart, I think he made a 31 on his ACT.

Jacksondevildog
09-25-2013, 11:44 AM
THIS.

I'm not seeing the problems other people see with our OL. When the scheme is shitty and predictable- your OL will be also

If you look at our OL since Dakota took over- they are a different group. And they will continue to be as long as he plays

maroonmania
09-25-2013, 11:47 AM

I think you hit the key to me and that's that having a mobile QB helps disguise some of the weaknesses of our OL. If our OL was really stellar it wouldn't matter if we had Tyler or Dak playing we would still be effective both running and throwing. Russell isn't exactly chopped liver back there its just that our run game seems to go into stagnation when he is the guy under center.

maroonmania
09-25-2013, 11:49 AM

You are correct in that Thomas did at least start the year off with a service or two having him at a 4 star but his stock fell significantly in his SR year and plenty on this board have questioned if he'll ever be able to contribute much for us after viewing him in fall practices.

Jack Lambert
09-25-2013, 12:08 PM
Whats interesting is that we are actually having some success with MAIS offensive lineman. Malone has done well, and Clayborn seems to be standing out among the freshman. Maybe the private school kids are just smarter and pick up on the offense and techniques quicker, or maybe it just does't matter what level of high school football you play and each player is just evaluated "as is".

I think Beckwith came from Benton Academy. They are single A.

msstate7
09-25-2013, 12:36 PM
You are correct in that Thomas did at least start the year off with a service or two having him at a 4 star but his stock fell significantly in his SR year and plenty on this board have questioned if he'll ever be able to contribute much for us after viewing him in fall practices.

A little over a month into jake's redshirt freshman season could be a little early to determine his career contribution.

maroonmania
09-25-2013, 12:52 PM
A little over a month into jake's redshirt freshman season could be a little early to determine his career contribution.

Agreed, just repeating comments made on this board by several posters. Point being had he been rerated after his HS SR year I don't believe he would have maintained a 4 star rating.

Coach34
09-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Russell isn't exactly chopped liver back there its just that our run game seems to go into stagnation when he is the guy under center.

Our run package is Croomesque with Russell in there. The scheme kills the OL's chances to be successful.

Big4Dawg
09-25-2013, 02:46 PM

Just like Harris (offers from Cinny, Florida State, Iowa State, Michigan state, USF, Cuse) and Jones (BC, Cinny, UConn, Iowa State, Michigan State, NC State, UNC, Ohio State, USF, Wake Forest).

Johnson85
09-25-2013, 02:57 PM

I know that was Dak's first SEC start and on the road, but dominating Troy doesn't tell me a lot about how we will do against SEC defenses. So far, I've seen us be pretty limited against solid but not great defenses. Dominating troy was nice (but they're no SEC team), and Alcorn means nothing (although I didn't think our run stats looked like they should against a SWAC team). I think USCe, LSU, and UAT will have better defenses than Auburn and offenses that are at least as good and I think JFF makes the strength of A&M's defense basically irrelevant. That leaves Arky and Ole Miss as must win games, and I think both will have defenses roughly as good as Auburn's.

Coach34
09-25-2013, 03:01 PM
Just like Harris (offers from Cinny, Florida State, Iowa State, Michigan state, USF, Cuse) and Jones (BC, Cinny, UConn, Iowa State, Michigan State, NC State, UNC, Ohio State, USF, Wake Forest).

Exactly

The best Guard in the country- the entire country- is a 3-star that plays LG for us. Mississippi State

This recruiting star bullshit is out of control. People are so quick to point out when it works out- but they seem to forget all the times the star crap is wrong.

Coach34
09-25-2013, 03:09 PM
So different that we were able to put up 20 on Auburn? .

Absolutely- the first time in years we put up 20 points and 400 yards vs an SEC team with a winning record. Glad you noticed.

LSU with their bigtime OL, pro prospect QB, 4-5 star skill people, and ex-pro OC had 450 yards against Auburn at home. We had 415 with our supposed shitty OL and back-up QB on the road.

Barking 13
09-25-2013, 03:13 PM

Some folks won't even consider coming to play for a dick... just saying.. I know a couple prospects that won't even come back to MSU camp because of the way they were treated... says the guy contradicts himself all the time..

bocfarm
09-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Some folks won't even consider coming to play for a dick... just saying.. I know a couple prospects that won't even come back to MSU camp because of the way they were treated... says the guy contradicts himself all the time..

I think we can all agree we can do better, unfortunately he's the last guy that will be shown the door

Barking 13
09-25-2013, 03:23 PM
I think we can all agree we can do better, unfortunately he's the last guy that will be shown the door

As James Hetfield says "Sad but true"

Coach34
09-25-2013, 03:34 PM

And some guys come here solely because of him- Dillon Day and others have said as much

Barking 13
09-25-2013, 03:43 PM
And some guys come here solely because of him- Dillon Day and others have said as much

Touche', but I don't like it when a legitimate 3+* prospect that we could have would go to OM or AL as second choices because of it...

tcdog70
09-25-2013, 04:39 PM
There are two Heritage kids playing for Scooba Tech that are pretty good. Somebody will sign them and get two really good players. Bell and Sharp--wr and RT

maroonmania
09-25-2013, 06:14 PM

Still 3 star guys but I do like their offer sheets. Will grant you that they appear to be a notch above what we've been getting in the past.