PDA

View Full Version : Interesting stats

Dawgfan77
09-25-2013, 08:35 AM
Dak is 47/85 a 55% completion percentage for 709 yds. Take into consideration out of 4 games he has played in about 10.5 quarters Meanwhile Bo Wallace is 56/87 65% for 648 yds
Now for the WR
Lewis 12 catches for 248 yds
Rojo. 10 catches for 158
Moncreif 11 catches for 173
Treadwell 16 catches for 154

chainedup_Dawg
09-25-2013, 08:40 AM
I'd like to know how many of those attempts for Dak hit his receiver in both hands too. I'd bet that his receivers have a shit ton more drops than Bo's

Dawgfan77
09-25-2013, 08:44 AM
How many of those Wallace throws were just the quick outs to treadwell and moncrief

Bubb Rubb
09-25-2013, 08:46 AM
Dak is 47/85 a 55% completion percentage for 709 yds. Take into consideration out of 4 games he has played in about 10.5 quarters Meanwhile Bo Wallace is 56/87 65% for 648 yds
Now for the WR
Rojo. 10 catches for 158

For clarification: Dak's stats are against Alcorn and Troy. Wallace's are against Vandy, SEMO (where he didn't play but half a game), and Texas.

smootness
09-25-2013, 08:49 AM
How many of those Wallace throws were just the quick outs to treadwell and moncrief

Apparently a ton. Less than 10 yds/catch is Wes Welker territory.

I would say that anyone who thinks that Bo Wallace is a better QB than Dak Prescott, right now, is crazy. Of course, I would say the same of anyone who thinks Wallace is better than Russell, too.

Wallace just isn't a good QB, and he will kill them before the end of the year.

Dawgfan77
09-25-2013, 08:52 AM
For clarification: Dak's stats are against Alcorn and Troy. Wallace's are against Vandy, SEMO (where he didn't play but half a game), and Texas.
Did you forget dak played all four quarters at Auburn and second half against OSU. OSU & AU > Vandy & TX Troy > SEMO

wobblyh
09-25-2013, 08:53 AM
Apparently a ton. Less than 10 yds/catch is Wes Welker territory.

I would say that anyone who thinks that Bo Wallace is a better QB than Dak Prescott, right now, is crazy. Of course, I would say the same of anyone who thinks Wallace is better than Russell, too.

Based on what at this point? Poor completion %? Too many turnovers? Can't win games?

Coach34
09-25-2013, 08:53 AM

For even more clarification- Dakota's stats also include Auburn- who probably has the best defense of the bunch

HancockCountyDog
09-25-2013, 08:54 AM

I would have totally agreed with you based on last year's results, but so far in the games that I have seen (Vandy/Texas) he does seem to protect the ball better than last year. Im not sure Wallace is a better pro prospect than Russell, actually Im positive he isn't, but he fits the bear offense better than Russell fits our offense.

As for Dak, I totally agree, Wallace couldn't hold Dak's jock.

Coach34
09-25-2013, 08:55 AM
Wallace is playing better this year- but it's been against some bad defenses. We'll see what Wallace is made of these next 4 weeks

Bubb Rubb
09-25-2013, 08:55 AM
Did you forget dak played all four quarters at Auburn and second half against OSU. OSU & AU > Vandy & TX Troy > SEMO

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. He put up some good numbers in the first half of Auburn, but conservative playcalling did him in. He did nothing of note in the OSU game.

The bulk of his passing stats were compiled against Troy and Alcorn. And neither of those programs are in the same area code from a defensive standpoint as Vandy and Texas. Those are facts. You really can't compare them, because it's apples and oranges.

Coach34
09-25-2013, 08:56 AM
Im not sure Wallace is a better pro prospect than Russell, actually Im positive he isn't, but he fits the bear offense better than Russell fits our offense.

As for Dak, I totally agree, Wallace couldn't hold Dak's jock.

Wallace is not a pro prospect at all- he doesnt have the arm

smootness
09-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Based on what at this point? Poor completion %? Too many turnovers? Can't win games?

Based on the fact that I've watched him play. He isn't an SEC QB. I will say that their coaches do a good job of masking his deficencies a lot of times, but they are held back because of him.

His arm is weak and he isn't terribly accurate. He should have thrown 2-3 INTs in the first half of the Vandy game alone...and I don't mean just bad passes that could have been intercepted if played right; I mean passes that hit Vandy in the hands.

They throw a bunch of bubble screens and short passes, and they do have some talent and speed at the skill positions on offense...but I'm going to go ahead and predict that Bama embarrasses him.

wobblyh
09-25-2013, 09:05 AM
Based on the fact that I've watched him play. He isn't an SEC QB. I will say that their coaches do a good job of masking his deficencies a lot of times, but they are held back because of him.

His arm is weak and he isn't terribly accurate. He should have thrown 2-3 INTs in the first half of the Vandy game alone...and I don't mean just bad passes that could have been intercepted if played right; I mean passes that hit Vandy in the hands.

They throw a bunch of bubble screens and short passes, and they do have some talent and speed at the skill positions on offense...but I'm going to go ahead and predict that Bama embarrasses him.

I agree he has a relatively weak arm and the coaching staff masks his deficiencies. But to say he isn't an SEC QB i think is a stretch. Bama might embarrass him but I don't know that proves anything.

Turner Center All Star
09-25-2013, 09:13 AM
For even more clarification- Dakota's stats also include Auburn- who probably has the best defense of the bunch

Vandy is #26 in the nation in Adjusted Yards Allowed Per Play (http://www.adjustedstats.com/ratings-stats/cfbdeftotaladj.php), Texas is #70, Auburn is #90, OSU is #108, and Troy is #124.

Oh and Ole Miss is #25 and MSU is #31.

wobblyh
09-25-2013, 09:16 AM
It'll be interesting to see how defenses adjust to Dak. I would expect teams to attempt to make him pass more. Seems like he struggles on the shorter passes. Teams that can get pressure with their front four could cause problems. Then again, that's the case for most QBs.

messageboardsuperhero
09-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Wallace is a good enough QB in the UM system. He probably wouldn't be good enough to start in most SEC schools' systems, but but Wallace fits what Freeze wants: He makes good decisions in the option game and can throw accurately in the short passing game. He does have a very weak arm though. And before any UM fans come say "Well, his arm didn't look too weak in last year's Egg Bowl!!11!1," my mother could have lobbed the ball to Moncrief streaking 30 yds downfield uncovered because Nickoe blew his assignment. And his stats will always be inflated because of the offense UM runs. All those short passes to Treadwell vs. Vandy were essentially running plays, but Wallace got credit for the yards.

While I've never seen Wallace make a truly impressive throw, he does fit Freeze's offense. He's also got whole the UM douchebag fratboy thing going, so that has to earn him some cred on campus.

messageboardsuperhero
09-25-2013, 09:28 AM
Vandy is #26 in the nation in Adjusted Yards Allowed Per Play (http://www.adjustedstats.com/ratings-stats/cfbdeftotaladj.php), Texas is #70, Auburn is #90, OSU is #108, and Troy is #124.

Honestly, I don't think anyone has a clue which defense is better right now. Statistics are pretty much pointless until about halfway through conference play anyway, so we'll just have to see how it plays out.

Coach34
09-25-2013, 09:32 AM

Looks like we need a little more "objectivity"

Vandy has given up 579 yards vs SC and 489 vs OM- they are a bad defense. Just because they held Austin Peay to 130 yards to bring their average way down doesnt make them a decent D.

slickdawg
09-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Wallace is not a pro prospect at all- he doesnt have the arm

Whoa there hoss, he's the BEST FOOTBALL PLAYER IS MISSISSIPPI!

CJDAWG85
09-25-2013, 09:34 AM
Aside from the TSUN game and the first half of the SCar game, who has Vandy played that is good offensively?

Turner Center All Star
09-25-2013, 10:10 AM
Looks like we need a little more "objectivity"

Vandy has given up 579 yards vs SC and 489 vs OM- they are a bad defense. Just because they held Austin Peay to 130 yards to bring their average way down doesnt make them a decent D.

going down a rabbit hole, that's the whole point of adjusted stats. They are adjusted for the level of competition you've played. More info here (http://www.adjustedstats.com/ratings-stats/College%20Football%20Adjusted%20Stats%20Year%20in% 20Review%20-%202009.pdf). Now, of course, you could rightly say that 3 or 4 games isn't enough data to know which teams are really good, but I'd argue that it's probably better (and certainly more objective) than just asserting "Auburn has the best defense" without any justification.

biggun
09-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Not sure what the point of this thread is but Wallace has led Ole Miss to a 3-0 record with road wins at Vandy and Texas. Also, in those 3 wins, he has cut down his turnovers while their offense has scored a ton of points.

Dak looked very good for 3 quarters against Auburn but we faltered in the 4th quarter and lost on the road to a very mediocre Auburn team. Troy's defense is close to the worst in the nation so I am not sure we can learn much from that game nor Alcorn's.

We will find out a lot more about both QB's as the season progresses but right now 3-0 with their schedule trumps our 2-2 and it is hard to knock Bo's or Dak's start. Just being objective

DancingRabbit
09-25-2013, 12:10 PM
Why look only at yards per play? Because it better suits your argument?

Why not look at total defense rankings from the same site?

Adjusted Stats Total Defense Ranking

Auburn - #58
Oklahoma State - #51
Troy - #126

Vanderbilt - #67
Texas - #71

Mississippi - #45
Mississippi State - #6

Turner Center All Star
09-25-2013, 12:44 PM
Why look only at yards per play? Because it better suits your argument?

Why not look at total defense rankings from the same site?

Adjusted Stats Total Defense Ranking

Auburn - #58
Oklahoma State - #51
Troy - #126

Vanderbilt - #67
Texas - #71

Mississippi - #45
Mississippi State - #6

it was because the wide divergence in offensive tempo across college football makes yards per play a less biased indicator of defensive performance than yards per game.

Boodawg
09-25-2013, 12:46 PM
I'm with chainedup, I would like to know how many balls are dropped every game. I think that should be a stat that should be recorded. I'm surprised the NFL doesn't ask college teams to keep a tally of dropped balls, for drafting purposes. I think it should be kept up with like errors in baseball. Stipulations could be, if it hit you in the numbers, both hands, helmet, etc. then it should be called an error or dropped ball. JMO.

Political Hack
09-25-2013, 01:10 PM

in all fairness, Troy is probably better than Texas.

engie
09-25-2013, 01:17 PM
it was because the wide divergence in offensive tempo across college football makes yards per play a less biased indicator of defensive performance than yards per game.

Your numbers and theory are solid -- and I appreciate the link.

Takes alot of the "math" I've been trying to do in various assessments and does it for me...

Pollodawg
09-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Dak was handcuffed by overly conservative play calling in the second half of the Auburn game once we pulled ahead. Had Mullen given him the reins completely and just let him play, we would have roasted the weagles. That loss was all on Dan.

Political Hack
09-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Tyler was handcuffed by overly conservative play calling and a concussion.

msstate7
09-25-2013, 03:21 PM

And a slow release and slow speed

Bear@Work
09-25-2013, 03:21 PM
in all fairness, Troy is probably better than Texas.

As much as I'd like to believe this, I made the mistake of drinking water while I was scrolling through this thread. My monitor now has a mixture of water and mucus all over it.

jlrrebel
09-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Now for the WR
Rojo. 10 catches for 158

Other Interesting Stats:

Ole Miss 3 - 0 (1-0 SEC)
state 2 - 2 (0-1 SEC)

Coach34
09-25-2013, 04:49 PM
He gone

mic
09-25-2013, 04:51 PM
damn I was about to put the odds up before he was banned.. it was going to be 1.5 posts..

CadaverDawg
09-25-2013, 04:57 PM
He gone

It's pretty easy to spot the ones that read daily and it kills them that they can't post. And then they finally see some stats that they just have to defend so they lose it and post...only to get banned. Ha, was it worth it jlreb?

Percho
09-25-2013, 06:22 PM
Wallace this week. Over under 3 int's?

Political Hack
09-25-2013, 06:50 PM
Wallace this week. Over under 3 int's?

I'd say 3 turnovers is a push, but they may not all be INTs. That OL is going to get decimated if Preacher Man doesn't have 100 quick hitter plays called.

mic
09-25-2013, 06:59 PM
Total Turnovers 4.5
I will take the over..
#Ibelieve

RougeDawg
09-25-2013, 07:23 PM

Petty sure the concrete feet and sun dial decision making are the two things that did Tyler in.

Will James
09-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Football stats are always going to be flawed IMO. Nothing like baseball which is structured equally for everyone.

Football you determine head to head arguments on the field each week. Baseball is more of a marathon.

KennyPowers2
09-25-2013, 10:11 PM
Other Interesting Stats:

Ole Miss 3 - 0 (1-0 SEC)
state 2 - 2 (0-1 SEC)

interestingly enough you can kiss our ****ing ass..... this is not the pack!

missouridawg
09-25-2013, 10:53 PM

A better question is why aren't we throwing those to Lewis, Holloway, and RoJo?

RougeDawg
09-25-2013, 11:23 PM
Was thinking this earlier. Any chance if Bama goes up big in 1st half and Hugh pulls Wallace, puts Brunetti in to prevent injury and a lost season? Wallace goes down, they may not win another one. Hugh could spin it multiple ways, one of them being that he thought Brunetti would be a good change of pace. After all, people believe any bullshit that comes out of his mouth anyway.

wobblyh
09-26-2013, 08:32 AM

Exactly. That's like saying Tony Gwynn wasn't a good hitter because he only hit singles. I'll take singles all day long!

Dawgfan77
09-26-2013, 08:40 AM
We did against Troy Lewis scored on the play