PDA

View Full Version : Myles Mason Commits

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2017, 12:25 PM
Big commit.

Pulling out of state 4 stars is the absolute golden goose to this program taking a huge step forward.

We aren't going to beat LSU, Bama, & Auburn in their home states often, but, if we can just be the top next team, for the players they just don't have room for, that will go an awful long way in us building a powerhouse team, assuming we can land the 4 & 5 stars from Mississippi

#10 rated player in Alabama & the #1 safety prospect.

Claims offers from half the SEC, but I don't know who we actually beat for him

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4371268/myles-mason

Commercecomet24
10-26-2017, 12:26 PM
Big get right there! The worm is turning.

msbulldog
10-26-2017, 12:27 PM
OUTSTANDING! Thanks Gun.

Bodawg
10-26-2017, 12:35 PM
Had offers from Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida State and Louisville among many others according to 24/7. Recruited as safety but could grown into linebacker. Another outstanding defensive pickup. Grantham's got to be smiling.

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2017, 12:40 PM
For reference sake: We currently have the #15 rated recruiting class.

Using the 247 class calculator, if we land Carvin, Whop, & Bleich, that would give us a total of 224 total points, which finished #22 in recruiting in 2017.

A #22 recruiting class would raise our currently #24 5 years recruiting average a little it. Also consider, that some of these guys will get bumps in their final rankings during the All-Star period. So a top 20 class isn't totally out of the question here.

msstate7
10-26-2017, 01:03 PM
Our staff is doing a great job on the recruiting trail. Need to finish strong with this class and with a really nice class in Mississippi next season, Mullen could really be knocking pretty hard on our ceiling in a couple seasons... retire already, saban

TrapGame
10-26-2017, 01:27 PM
So, this is gonna be post ole miss recruiting in the age of Dak Prescott and Fletcher Cox. Nice.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-26-2017, 01:31 PM
Commitment video for those wanting to see VIDEO (https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Article/Watch-as-blue-chip-prospect-Myles-Mason-announces-his-college-de-109472819)

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-26-2017, 01:33 PM
He was high on Florida State as of late so this is pretty huge to get him!!!!

Bully13
10-26-2017, 01:38 PM
everybody needs to watch that video. like now.

Dawg61
10-26-2017, 01:54 PM
We have 26 commits and they still only rank us 15th. What a bunch of shit. Recruiting team rankings are total dogshit. Don't bother doing math on it Shotgun it's totally worthless.

Todd4State
10-26-2017, 02:01 PM
For reference sake: We currently have the #15 rated recruiting class.

Using the 247 class calculator, if we land Carvin, Whop, & Bleich, that would give us a total of 224 total points, which finished #22 in recruiting in 2017.

A #22 recruiting class would raise our currently #24 5 years recruiting average a little it. Also consider, that some of these guys will get bumps in their final rankings during the All-Star period. So a top 20 class isn't totally out of the question here.

A top 20 class should be our goal every year.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-26-2017, 02:02 PM
We have 26 commits and they still only rank us 15th. What a bunch of shit. Recruiting team rankings are total dogshit. Don't bother doing math on it Shotgun it's totally worthless.

You don't know how they figure a teams rating do you?

dawggrad08
10-26-2017, 02:09 PM

Actually, our number of commits shouldn't push us up the rankings. If I remember correctly when the 247 composite formula was [somewhat] explained. It weights the top 15 players in your class heavier than everyone else. So the lower a guy is down your total number..the less he counts. It's to make sure a "quality" number of recruits will always outrank a "quantity" number of recruits.

I don't generally pay attention to "ratings/rankings" per say...more so...who else did he have commitable offers from. That tells me how good of a prospect he is.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-26-2017, 02:15 PM
per the site:

Explanation
In order to create the most comprehensive Team Recruiting Ranking without any notion of bias, 247Sports Team Recruiting Ranking is solely based on the 247Sports Composite Rating.
Each recruit is weighted in the rankings according to a GAUSSIAN DISTRIBUTION FORMULA (a bell curve), where a team's best recruit is worth the most points. You can think of a team's point score as being the sum of ratings of all the team's commits where the best recruit is worth 100% of his rating value, the second best recruit is worth nearly 100% of his rating value, down to the last recruit who is worth a small fraction of his rating value. This formula ensures that all commits contribute at least some value to the team's score without heavily rewarding teams that have several more commitments than others.

fader2103
10-26-2017, 02:25 PM
Goes to school with 2017 OT Pierce Quick, wish he could help out there, but already committed to Saban

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-26-2017, 02:30 PM
if he is 2017 then he is already on Bama roster....you mean 2019?

Jack Lambert
10-26-2017, 02:46 PM
Our staff is doing a great job on the recruiting trail. Need to finish strong with this class and with a really nice class in Mississippi next season, Mullen could really be knocking pretty hard on our ceiling in a couple seasons... retire already, saban

December signing is going to be great for us.

Dawg61
10-26-2017, 02:52 PM
This formula ensures that all commits contribute at least some value to the team's score without heavily rewarding teams that have several more commitments than others.

Says they don't "heavily" reward teams with a ton of commits but that should still mean you get rewarded for having 26 commits and that should put us higher than 15th imo. I stand by what I said. Team recruiting rankings are total dogshit if you ain't a big dawg in the eyes of recruiting sites it's almost impossible to get ranked in the top ten. They will always reward fanbases that have the potential to give them more subscriptions. They reward the fanbases that pay their bills by blowing a bunch of smoke up their asses so they will keep paying their bills.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-26-2017, 02:59 PM
I don't generally pay attention to "ratings/rankings" per say...more so...who else did he have commitable offers from. That tells me how good of a prospect he is.

^^This. Some here are obsessed with Stars though.

dawggrad08
10-26-2017, 03:03 PM
Says they don't "heavily" reward teams with a ton of commits but that should still mean you get rewarded for having 26 commits and that should put us higher than 15th imo. I stand by what I said. Team recruiting rankings are total dogshit if you ain't a big dawg in the eyes of recruiting sites it's almost impossible to get ranked in the top ten. They will always reward fanbases that have the potential to give them more subscriptions. They reward the fanbases that pay their bills by blowing a bunch of smoke up their asses so they will keep paying their bills.

You do get rewarded for every kid on your list.

Ohio St currently has 18 commits. Their #18 player is rated an .86 composite and gives them +2.7 towards team rankings. Our 18th commit is rated 85 (technically .849) and gives us +2.51 towards team rankings. The difference in point value is their individual rating. Their spot in the class had a value and it's clear they aren't different based on team. If you're going to complain that our individual players are rated fairly...okay. But the math holds up to the formula being the same for all teams.

GoDawgz
10-26-2017, 03:46 PM
Great video! Seems like a great kid.

Hasu Dackds
10-26-2017, 05:46 PM
We aren't going to beat LSU, Bama, & Auburn in their home states often, but, if we can just be the top next team, for the players they just don't have room for, that will go an awful long way in us building a powerhouse team, assuming we can land the 4 & 5 stars from Mississippi
You're a little late to the party. Some of us have been beating this drum for years. Mullen has actually executed this too, sans the offensive linemen. He was slow on the JUCOs too until last year.

99jc
10-26-2017, 05:54 PM
I am going to say this...several years ago I was involved with recruiting players for State. To beat out sign any player Bama really wants is huge. I helped recruit a player who was a family friend from birth took him to games for years said he was going to state repeatedly Bama head coach walks in his house offers a scholarship and all my years went to shit in a hand basket in one hour. This kid was a local and started at Bama.

preachermatt83
10-26-2017, 05:56 PM
Neshoba Chuck sent me a PM yesterday morning telling me that mason was going to commit. Probs to chuck!!

NeshobaChuck
10-26-2017, 06:00 PM
Thank you sir

Dawg61
10-26-2017, 06:05 PM
If you're going to complain that our individual players are rated fairly...okay. But the math holds up to the formula being the same for all teams.

Good post but the math is be an elite fanbase with a ton of followers and we'll rate your commits higher so you'll buy more subscriptions and pay everyone's salaries. It's not rocket surgery. It's basic business. I ain't hating more like I ain't buying. It's entertainment for a bunch of people.

Todd4State
10-26-2017, 06:16 PM
Good post but the math is be an elite fanbase with a ton of followers and we'll rate your commits higher so you'll buy more subscriptions and pay everyone's salaries. It's not rocket surgery. It's basic business. I ain't hating more like I ain't buying. It's entertainment for a bunch of people.

Yes- and the thing is the more success we have the better our recruiting rankings will be in years ahead. They really rely on coaches to do the ratings to a degree- "Oh, Alabama offered? Here's a 4th star for you."

A guy like Dan Mullen can embarrass them on the front end- Dak, Josh, Bear, Day, McKinney, Banks, etc. But now that he has a reputation as a good talent evaluator they're going to take a closer look at the guys we offer and take commits from.

msbulldog
10-26-2017, 06:23 PM
per the site:

Explanation
In order to create the most comprehensive Team Recruiting Ranking without any notion of bias, 247Sports Team Recruiting Ranking is solely based on the 247Sports Composite Rating.
Each recruit is weighted in the rankings according to a GAUSSIAN DISTRIBUTION FORMULA (a bell curve), where a team's best recruit is worth the most points. You can think of a team's point score as being the sum of ratings of all the team's commits where the best recruit is worth 100% of his rating value, the second best recruit is worth nearly 100% of his rating value, down to the last recruit who is worth a small fraction of his rating value. This formula ensures that all commits contribute at least some value to the team's score without heavily rewarding teams that have several more commitments than others.

Thanks Dog Gone, I googled GAUSSIAN DISTRIBUTION FORMULA and decided I might better off to read that later, before I have had a couple of Bloody Mary's. I still don't trust somebody I can't see. A good try to rep "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dawg-gone-dawgs again."

msbulldog
10-26-2017, 06:28 PM
You do get rewarded for every kid on your list.

Ohio St currently has 18 commits. Their #18 player is rated an .86 composite and gives them +2.7 towards team rankings. Our 18th commit is rated 85 (technically .849) and gives us +2.51 towards team rankings. The difference in point value is their individual rating. Their spot in the class had a value and it's clear they aren't different based on team. If you're going to complain that our individual players are rated fairly...okay. But the math holds up to the formula being the same for all teams.

Rosebowl said in a Boneyards podcast they only rank the top 25 players in your class, I assume he's right since that's his job.

msstate7
10-26-2017, 06:31 PM
Rosebowl said in a Boneyards podcast they only rank the top 25 players in your class, I assume he's right since that's his job.

Gene said that policy would be changed or else!

Playing with you msbulldog... I know you mad at gene