INT: 18
Rating: 130.5

Archie Manning stats:
Pct: 52.8%
Yds: 4753
TD: 31
INT: 40
Rating: 108.2

Chris Relf was a better QB than Archie Manning. Manning was a good player on some really good teams. Good enough for some top 10 finishes. Good enough to get #1 votes from some obscure polls. OK.

But Chris Relf was a better QB.

CadaverDawg
09-25-2013, 12:14 AM
I didn't realize that Archie threw so many picks. No wonder ole miss fans love Bo Wallace...his many INT's remind them of Archaay

dawgoneyall
09-25-2013, 12:29 AM
Actually, what did he ever do? Was 1-1-1 against one of the worse span of teams in the history of MSU. Lost to Miss Southern.

QB'ed one of the worst teams in the Hx of the NFL.

Just the typical teabag hype. Extreme exaggeration by the mentally challenged.

FlabLoser
09-25-2013, 01:15 AM
I'm not looking it up, but I think Archie never played against Alabama. Most of Ole Miss's better teams didn't. Hottty toddy.

Thick
09-25-2013, 04:55 AM
If Archie had nothing but daughters, he'd be nothing more then an avg QB in everyone's eyes. IMO, it's his sons that bring him the attention.

Will James
09-25-2013, 06:24 AM
I'm not looking it up, but I think Archie never played against Alabama. Most of Ole Miss's better teams didn't. Hottty toddy.

In the ESPN show he played against them and...... Lost.

ETA when I saw this thread title I laughed my ass off, not out of disagreement but its just funny to see that.

barely
09-25-2013, 07:00 AM
archie played against bama---it was one of his more famous games and one of the first nationally televised games. They lost to bama but archie accounted for like 99% of ole miss's offense that day, basically, if the rest of the team hadnt blown, he might have been known for that game more than any.

messageboardsuperhero
09-25-2013, 07:36 AM

Archie did play against Bama at least once and had maybe his best game ever against them. It was a the first prime-time nationally televised game, and even though UM lost, Archie had a very Johnny Football type of game. That definitely added to his legend a lot.

Archie was a very good QB though.

Bubb Rubb
09-25-2013, 07:49 AM
Well, you gotta acknowledge that at least Archie played in the NFL. And you know, playing for (at the time) the worst franchise in the history of the league, and having the embarrassing honor of actually lining up under his tackle one time, is more than Relf did in his years beyond State. But there's no doubt that there is a lot of revisionist history about his career because of his sons.

That said, I will always love Chris Relf. That's one kid that nobody can ever accuse of half-assing. Dan deserves credit for making him servicable, and he deserves credit for putting in the work to get there.

mjh94
09-25-2013, 07:57 AM
RELF: 1607 career rushing yards
MANNING: 823 career rushing yards

smootness
09-25-2013, 08:11 AM
Relf's career stats:
Pct: 58.0%
Yds: 3297
TD: 28
INT: 18
Rating: 130.5

Archie Manning stats:
Pct: 52.8%
Yds: 4753
TD: 31
INT: 40
Rating: 108.2

You have to acknowledge that playing QB then was far different than playing it now. Look at Johnny Unitas' stats. Essentially every QB in the league now blows his #'s away, and not just in terms of volume but in efficiency.

QB's had lower completion percentages back then, threw fewer TDs and more INTs. In the same way you can't look at Marcus Mariota and say he's better than every QB in college football history, you can't exactly just compare numbers from 40 years ago and say the guy now is clearly better.

wobblyh
09-25-2013, 08:15 AM
I think it should be noted Relf played in 36 games, Archie played in 32. Also Archie played in an era when there wasn't a lot of passing. Rules are set up now to protect receivers. Watching how WRs were treated up until the 90s is painful. That made passing the ball much more difficult.

Dawgface
09-25-2013, 08:20 AM
I'm a MS State fan as much as anyone, but I would never had thought to declare Relf a better QB than Archie. You guys are apparently too young to remember or to have seen Archie play. He was a very good college QB and was the 2nd pick in the 1971 NFL draft and came in 3rd in the Heisman vote his sr year. How did Relf do in those 2 categories?

NewTweederEndzoneDance
09-25-2013, 09:34 AM
You have to acknowledge that playing QB then was far different than playing it now. Look at Johnny Unitas' stats. Essentially every QB in the league now blows his #'s away, and not just in terms of volume but in efficiency.

QB's had lower completion percentages back then, threw fewer TDs and more INTs. In the same way you can't look at Marcus Mariota and say he's better than every QB in college football history, you can't exactly just compare numbers from 40 years ago and say the guy now is clearly better.

This. I know this whole debate is just for trolling purposes, but it does show how numbers can be used (or manipulated in other cases) to make any argument you want.

SignalToNoise
09-25-2013, 09:38 AM
I'm a youngin' and never saw Archie play a down of football but I have a hard time believing Relf was better.

Like everyone else, it is funny to see "Relf > Archie" and I know its just trolling. I plan on posting it on FB later today to get some bears riled up.

Pollodawg
09-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Calm. The. Fawk. Down. This was meant to be a joke I am almost positive.

PassInterference
09-25-2013, 09:57 AM
Not a joke. Those stats are real.

CadaverDawg
09-25-2013, 10:05 AM
Haha, why can't everybody just talk about how much better Relf was and let the Ole Miss clowns that troll this board on a daily basis get furious that they can't post? Hell no, our fans have to be good ole MSU fans and take up for the Ole miss QB. Can't even try to get their feathers ruffled without our own jumping to their defenses.

Just play along guys, and have a little fun. Quit being so damn nice.

Op4isabitch
09-25-2013, 10:11 AM
+1 CD.....screw those clowns. Archie sucked then and he sucks now.

PassInterference
09-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Archie is like Bo Wallace when you think about it. Flash, hype, and INTs.

To quote the great Bill Parcells, "Gale Sayers wouldn't be worth turnovers".

Political Hack
09-25-2013, 10:55 AM
how do you get a song made after you with numbers like that? I don't get it.

Quaoarsking
09-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Of course Relf is a better quarterback if you don't adjust for the era. Put Relf in a time machine to the 1950s and he's the NFL MVP. The training, coaching, conditioning, etc., are so much better now, more widespread and consistent, and from an earlier age.

It's like that in every sport. Do you think George Mikan would even make an NBA roster today?

FISHDAWG
09-25-2013, 11:07 AM
what's missing is number of wins / losses ....... that is the ultimate deciding factor .... so who had the most wins ?

PassInterference
09-25-2013, 11:10 AM
how do you get a song made after you with numbers like that? I don't get it.

And we get Starkville City Jail by Johnny Cash. They get a song about their QB and we get a song about going to jail. Fire Bracky.

Coach34
09-25-2013, 11:13 AM
Haha, why can't everybody just talk about how much better Relf was and let the Ole Miss clowns that troll this board on a daily basis get furious that they can't post? Hell no, our fans have to be good ole MSU fans and take up for the Ole miss QB. Can't even try to get their feathers ruffled without our own jumping to their defenses.

Just play along guys, and have a little fun. Quit being so damn nice.

Well said- that's part of the fun of this site

smootness
09-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Yeah, screw it, Archie blew.

Freaking turd of a QB. Don't get the love for him.

Chris Relf would beat him in every category.

Will James
09-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Of course Relf is a better quarterback if you don't adjust for the era. Put Relf in a time machine to the 1950s and he's the NFL MVP. The training, coaching, conditioning, etc., are so much better now, more widespread and consistent, and from an earlier age.

It's like that in every sport. Do you think George Mikan would even make an NBA roster today?

Maybe but in the 50s he certainly wouldn't have been the Ole Miss QB.

M.Fillmore
09-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Daddy Manning lost to bama his junior year (Scott Hunter shootout game) and his senior year he smoked a lousy bama team (a 6-5 record without a tough schedule).

Relf won the Gator Bowl big, ole Arch lost the Gator Bowl.

Whoever posted above about siring boys is right. If Mrs. Archie had born girls, they would just be talking about another QB of a segregated team.

Jack Lambert
09-25-2013, 12:11 PM

I think it was 1969 and it was the first Prime Time college football game televised. I did not look it up so I could be wrong.

Political Hack
09-25-2013, 12:35 PM
And we get Starkville City Jail by Johnny Cash. They get a song about their QB and we get a song about going to jail. Fire Bracky.

that made me laugh.

tcdog70
09-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Come on, I saw Archie and He was one of the best to ever play. Play Him today in a spread and He would be another Johnny Football. Different eras, can't compare numbers but you can the eyeball test. He was also really good baseball player at Ole Miss. I think Archie won 2 out of 3 against the Tide. The one He lost he had 500 yards of offense. Scott Hunter was the Bama QB and it was ABCs first prime time night game. 2 Meridian boys Ranager and Bailey(cousins) helped Bama beat the Rebs. I am a Bulldog but refuse to Blast Archie because He was the enemy. Hell, give the Man his due

Percho
09-25-2013, 06:30 PM
In the ESPN show he played against them and...... Lost.

ETA when I saw this thread title I laughed my ass off, not out of disagreement but its just funny to see that.

Was at Camp McCain for weekend firing. We rented a motel room to watch the game. I believe I was the only one pulling for Bama.

Political Hack
09-25-2013, 06:52 PM
I think it was 1969 and it was the first Prime Time college football game televised. I did not look it up so I could be wrong.

a single good game in a losing effort almost won him a Heisman. Pretty amazing what the power of TV can do.

Wrinkled Slab
09-26-2013, 09:49 AM
a single good game in a losing effort almost won him a Heisman. Pretty amazing what the power of TV can do.

Yeah, they didn't shut out Tennessee or anything or own LSU, except when he broke his arm. I wonder why the power of TV didn't propel Relf to a Heisman berth, considering how many more games of his were televised.

Barking 13
09-26-2013, 10:04 AM
ARCHIE WHO?

Political Hack
09-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Yeah, they didn't shut out Tennessee or anything or own LSU, except when he broke his arm. I wonder why the power of TV didn't propel Relf to a Heisman berth, considering how many more games of his were televised.

sensitive about Archie, huh?

It was the first college game nationally televised. I'm not sure if you're capable of realizing the significance of that given your obvious educational background, but he had people watching him that had never seen a college football game.

it's like saying the JFK vs Nixon televised debate didn't impact the election because McCain didn't win the presidency even though he had TV.

Thank God Grisham got his undergrad at State. We would've missed out on a great literary mind had he went to OM.

Coach34
09-26-2013, 10:21 AM

He Gone

tcdog70
09-26-2013, 12:11 PM
sensitive about Archie, huh?

It was the first college game nationally televised. I'm not sure if you're capable of realizing the significance of that given your obvious educational background, but he had people watching him that had never seen a college football game.

it's like saying the JFK vs Nixon televised debate didn't impact the election because McCain didn't win the presidency even though he had TV.

Thank God Grisham got his undergrad at State. We would've missed out on a great literary mind had he went to OM.

I think Archie's total offense of over 500 yards in the Bama game is still #1 in SEC games played

Coach34
09-26-2013, 12:14 PM
I think Archie's total offense of over 500 yards in the Bama game is still #1 in SEC games played

Manziel just had 562 vs Bama 2 weeks ago- so I know that's not true

PassInterference
09-26-2013, 12:38 PM
I know Don Smith put up 500 yard games on a regular basis. We've had others do it too.

Ghost of Hank Flick
09-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Hmmmm. I wonder where you got the idea for this post.

Op4isabitch
09-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Archie Bunker > Archie Manning. Truth.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
09-26-2013, 02:11 PM
I know Don Smith put up 500 yard games on a regular basis. We've had others do it too.

This got me curious about our single game records, and as it turns out there are 2 very interesting names in the top 5 for MSU single-game total offense numbers. Taite is #1 with 468, #2 is none other that Croom era Wesley Carroll who put up 441 yards against Arky in 2007. #5 also stuck out to me, as Mike Henig put up 391 in the 2006 UK game. Chris Relf does check in at #s 10 and 13 on that list. Kevin Fant in at #s 7, 8, & 11. Stats per the 2013 Media Guide.

Never would've thought I'd see 2 Croom era names on that list.

Op4isabitch
09-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Wow I can't believe it was 7 yrs ago that Henig was here..time is zipping bye.

M.Fillmore
09-26-2013, 10:43 PM

I'll grant that Manning defeated a vastly overrated #3 Tennessee team (sort of a like a few years ago when the Bears were #4). Manning squeaked by LSU his Soph and Jr years and he was skulldrug 61-17 his senior year by LSU. He also lost to a really sorry Kentucky team and a USM team that we beat by 40+ points.

Manning threw more picks than TDs, his QB rating was so-so, he was a fabulous scrambler that made some exciting plays but scrambling does not mean a guy is a great QB.

I'm always amazed at the Gene's Page mentality that creeps in sometimes. MSU fans will be overly loyal to their rival's heroes. Manning used to make banking commercials that ran on MSU broadcasts. I assure you that no MSU star has ever made commercials that ran on bear broadcasts.

FlabLoser
09-26-2013, 10:48 PM
This got me curious about our single game records, and as it turns out there are 2 very interesting names in the top 5 for MSU single-game total offense numbers. Taite is #1 with 468, #2 is none other that Croom era Wesley Carroll who put up 441 yards against Arky in 2007. #5 also stuck out to me, as Mike Henig put up 391 in the 2006 UK game. Chris Relf does check in at #s 10 and 13 on that list. Kevin Fant in at #s 7, 8, & 11. Stats per the 2013 Media Guide.

Never would've thought I'd see 2 Croom era names on that list.

Define Total Yards. Numbers of yards achieved by the offense, or is it a QB's pass + rush yards? Don Smith offenses did have some 500+ "total yards" games, which I think were total offensive output.

smootness
09-27-2013, 08:29 AM
A QB's 'total yards' is his personal passing/rushing numbers.

PassInterference
09-27-2013, 08:32 AM
I hated Tait (Taite?). I think he got his yards simply for being a 4 year starter. We haven't had many 4 year starter QBs.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
09-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Define Total Yards. Numbers of yards achieved by the offense, or is it a QB's pass + rush yards? Don Smith offenses did have some 500+ "total yards" games, which I think were total offensive output.

total offense (rushing + passing + receiving yards) achieved by a single player is what I was looking at.

tcdog70
09-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Manziel just had 562 vs Bama 2 weeks ago- so I know that's not true

You are correct Coach, He broke Archie's record of 540 yards. On Oct. 4, 1969, at Legion Field in Birmingham, Ole Miss quarterback Archie Manning completed 33-of-52 passes for 436 yards and two touchdowns. He ran 15 times for 104 yards and three touchdowns.
To put Manning's performance in perspective, no player had ever thrown for as many as 300 yards and rushed for 100 in a major-college game. Manning did all of that, and yet the No. 20 Rebels lost to the No. 15 Crimson Tide, 33-32.