PDA

View Full Version : Pawl Wants Dan....in a coaching way @ UT

Indndawg
10-23-2017, 04:52 PM
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/paul-finebaum-eye-tennessees-replacement-butch-jones/

Also, made 2 veiled comments about the Dan/UT fit

He's a "great coach at an average program"

Then I switched to another channel

msbulldog
10-23-2017, 05:02 PM
17 finebaum.

Dawg61
10-23-2017, 05:03 PM
Let's get him fired

Commercecomet24
10-23-2017, 05:05 PM
Hey he called us an average program. We are moving up in his eyes then*******

Finebaum and chizik must be lovers.

Both of them can kiss my butt!

I don?t watch that jerk.

Hasu Dackds
10-23-2017, 05:12 PM
All that matters is what Dan Mullen thinks/says. If we ever want to move up as a program, Mullen (or other coaches like him) have to be willing to stay and build said program. If they aren't, what else can you do, at least in the short term? I hope Mullen wants to stay, I really do. But post-2015 is still pretty fresh on my mind.

Same way if we ever want to shut up the talking the heads who says we can't be more than an 8 win program. We are going to have to win more than 8 games for multiple years in a row to prove it.

Bothrops
10-23-2017, 05:35 PM
The octopod has made it a personal affair to snub us. I'm about ready to hire an old man to whip his ass.

Liverpooldawg
10-23-2017, 05:38 PM
Interesting, the Confederate Bear Sharks are singing that same tune. I guess he got his orders.

Pollodawg
10-23-2017, 05:50 PM
The funniest thing I've ever seen in my life was when Saban verbally slapped the taste out of Finebaum's mouth during an interview a couple years back over something Paul had said off air about a couple of Bama players. Watching Paul refuse to make eye contact was priceless. We know who pays your bills, ya little whore.

Pollodawg
10-23-2017, 05:54 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7ewJobuPFgU

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2017, 05:55 PM
Tennessee is a better job than Mississippi State, but IMO it's not a good enough job for Mullen to leave with what he has coming back in 2018, with Keytaon on campus, & the 2019 Mississippi class.

The truth is that Mullen has a blank check to be at MSU for as long as he wants to be here. He has the formula figured out & we'll never fire him. He can coach at MSU for 20+ years.

At Tennessee, he has to win over the next 3-5 years or he'll be gone. With what MSU has & can offer Mullen, Tennessee just isn't worth it.

Mullen will leave MSU if he believes the job he is taking can get him consistently in the national championship race & Tennessee doesn't offer that. When run correctly, Tennessee is a 9-10 win program. Well, Mullen basically has MSU at an 8 win program & sometimes 9. So he is going to leave MSU for 1 extra win a year & Bama still on his schedule? LOL. That makes no sense. I think Tennessee would have a much greater chance of landing Mullen if they got rid of the 3rd Sat in Oct game.

Now, if Texas, Penn State, Ohio State, Bama, UGA, Florida, LSU, Michigan, USC, Notre Dame (for more reasons than football), or Florida State comes after Mullen, then I'll be worried, because those schools offer him enough upside to leave MSU.

Again, TN is a better program than MSU, but not to the extent that would make Mullen leaving his blank check at MSU worth it.

LoneStarDawg
10-23-2017, 05:55 PM
I just can’t see a way Mullen goes to Tennessee. I’ll bet my little VCash on it.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2017, 05:56 PM
The funniest thing I've ever seen in my life was when Saban verbally slapped the taste out of Finebaum's mouth during an interview a couple years back over something Paul had said off air about a couple of Bama players. Watching Paul put his head down and stare at the desk was priceless. We know who pays your bills, ya little whore.

Yep and that?s exactly what he is, bought and paid for.

justwin
10-23-2017, 06:04 PM
Tennessee is a better job than Mississippi State, but IMO it's not a good enough job for Mullen to leave with what he has coming back in 2018, with Keytaon on campus, & the 2019 Mississippi class.

The truth is that Mullen has a blank check to be at MSU for as long as he wants to be here. He has the formula figured out & we'll never fire him. He can coach at MSU for 20+ years.

At Tennessee, he has to win over the next 3-5 years or he'll be gone. With what MSU has & can offer Mullen, Tennessee just isn't worth it.

Mullen will leave MSU if he believes the job he is taking can get him consistently in the national championship race & Tennessee doesn't offer that. When run correctly, Tennessee is a 9-10 win program. Well, Mullen basically has MSU at an 8 win program & sometimes 9. So he is going to leave MSU for 1 extra win a year & Bama still on his schedule? LOL. That makes no sense. I think Tennessee would have a much greater chance of landing Mullen if they got rid of the 3rd Sat in Oct game.

Now, if Texas, Penn State, Ohio State, Bama, UGA, Florida, LSU, Michigan, USC, Notre Dame (for more reasons than football), or Florida State comes after Mullen, then I'll be worried, because those schools offer him enough upside to leave MSU.

Again, TN is a better program than MSU, but not to the extent that would make Mullen leaving his blank check at MSU worth it.

No it is not a better program. Just stop with the need to always try to be o smartest guy in room. MSU is top half of SEC, Tennessee is bottom 5 of SEC

Indndawg
10-23-2017, 06:09 PM
I agree on PSU, Flarda, and MEEEEchigan

Commercecomet24
10-23-2017, 06:11 PM
I believe Dan is extremely intelligent. If he were to take that train wreck in Knoxville I would have to re evaluate how smart I believe he is.

Indndawg
10-23-2017, 06:12 PM
Chiz gets sloppy 2nds after Freeze gets first shot

Liverpooldawg
10-23-2017, 06:14 PM

TN is not a better program than MSU now and hasn't been for several years.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2017, 06:16 PM

You are correct, Sir!

Mimi's Babies
10-23-2017, 06:20 PM

Why the __________ would you want to deal with the TN Fans and rocky top.. There is not much money at TN... Ole paullll stirring the pot AGAIN....

thf24
10-23-2017, 06:34 PM
Mullen would have to change the way he recruits if he went to Tennessee because the raw talent in their backyard isn't nearly what it is here. If he were to go to Tenn and stick with the "no promises, work hard to earn your spot" pitch, he would not be successful and would be fired within 4-5 years. He's a smart guy and I think he knows that. If he ever does leave, I doubt it will be for somewhere other than an elite program that recruits itself.

Dawgowar
10-23-2017, 06:34 PM
You are correct, Sir!

It's a bigger stadium and a bigger fanbase - does not equate to better. How many great coaches turned them down as they have selected Kiffin, Dooley and Butch?

Bothrops
10-23-2017, 06:39 PM
He'd still have to play Bama every year.

Spiderman
10-23-2017, 06:51 PM

Maybe not in wins, but in potential and money, they are way ahead. That said, I don't see Mullen leaving to take it.

I have heard Dan personally say 10 or so years is the time to make a move because you usually wear out your welcome, ie Richt.

However Dan is still very welcome. I've also heard him say he doesn't see himself coaching too far into his 50's.

If he leaves, it will have to be for the perfect job in his mind for him and his family. I just don't see Tennessee being it

BrunswickDawg
10-23-2017, 07:00 PM
Tennessee WAS a top tier program. 3 bad hires has ended that. Look at the changes in the college landscape since Fat Phil was fired in 2008 - too much competition in their backyard that wasn?t there before. Yeah, they have a big stadium - but for a ?top tier? program, they are 56-52 since Dan Mullen became our HC. It?s a step down and a rebuild.

dawgday166
10-23-2017, 07:00 PM
Dan ain't leaving. At TN you gotta beat Bama every once in a while and now maybe Ga too. He'll never beat Saban and would not beat Smart very often either.

basedog
10-23-2017, 07:10 PM
Tn is like the Landfish, history is long gone where as Msu with DM is making history.

Also, not sure the Sec likes what Paul wishes for. Coaches have left Sec schools for another but it's more of a rarity.

msstate7
10-23-2017, 07:12 PM
Dan ain't leaving. At TN you gotta beat Bama every once in a while and now maybe Ga too. He'll never beat Saban and would not beat Smart very often either.

You hold your nuts so hard on Dan Mullen and the miss state football team, they have to be the size of BBs.

Spiderman
10-23-2017, 07:14 PM
Tn is like the Landfish, history is long gone where as Msu with DM is making history.

Also, not sure the Sec likes what Paul wishes for. Coaches have left Sec schools for another but it's more of a rarity.

If the Hogs run off Big BB, they will make a run at Malzahn for sure, and he would be likely to take it

dawgday166
10-23-2017, 07:14 PM
You hold your nuts so hard on Dan Mullen and the miss state football team, they have to be the size of BBs.

Whatever dude. Dan would be a fool to leave MSU for TN. Much higher pressure and expectations there.

Dawg61
10-23-2017, 07:16 PM
A football head coach in the SEC hasn't been poached from another SEC school since 1999. Stop with the bullshit already. Tired of the insecurities.

dawgday166
10-23-2017, 07:19 PM
delete

TUSK
10-23-2017, 07:24 PM
I think their are several pro/cons for either school...

Pros of UT:
1. Bigger fanbase and support, facilities, more resources, $, etc....
2. (all things equal) Better recruiting classes.
3. (for the time being) Easier scheduling due to the SECE sucking hind teat.
4. Slightly more exposure (but this is probably negligible with SECN).

Cons of UT:
1. Completely batshit nuts fans with unrealistic expectations for the current status of the program.

That being said, if Dan is smarter than he is arrogant, and if he has a good year this year (it's looking like he will), he'll use UT's interest to get a better compensation package, stay at MSU and not have to deal with that trainwreck...

JMO

msstate7
10-23-2017, 07:26 PM
I believe Coach and bulldawg28 had us beating everyone on our schedule ... including Saban.
Bulldawg28 said LSU and Bama. I don?t see it, but half way there. There was extreme criticism for picking both wins.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2017, 07:27 PM

Pros of UT:

Cons of UT:
1. Completely batshit nuts fans with unrealistic expectations for the current status of the program.

That being said, if Dan is smarter than he is arrogant, and if he has a good year this year (it's looking like he will), he'll use UT's interest to get a better compensation package, stay at MSU and not have to deal with that trainwreck...

JMO

Fair assessment all the way around.

Dawg61
10-23-2017, 07:28 PM
Dan isn't even on UT's top 6 wish list and that's not cause they don't want him it's cause they don't really think they can get him so they aren't spending anytime attempting to. Rumor is they already have their guy which means it isn't Mullen. Stop falling for the Finebaum troll.

tireddawg
10-23-2017, 07:29 PM
No it is not a better program. Just stop with the need to always try to be o smartest guy in room. MSU is top half of SEC, Tennessee is bottom 5 of SEC

Yep. Historically, TN is a better program, but not today.

dawgday166
10-23-2017, 07:31 PM
Fair assessment all the way around.

I'd say so. He left one out tho. If Dan has to play Saban every year why would he go to a place where it is a requirement to sometimes do that in order to keep your job. He can stay at MSU forever and never beat Saban.

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2017, 07:33 PM

Correct. It isn?t a better program but it does have more resources

IMissJack
10-23-2017, 07:38 PM
Why would the SEC allow their mouthpiece to create a coach controversy on the league network. Stop this shit commissioner.

TUSK
10-23-2017, 07:39 PM
Coach Mullen is probably not very high up on UT's list, right now...

Those cats are gonna swing for the fences on this next hire... They are gonna want to throw enough money at a "well known" head coach that has experience at programs they consider "bigtime"....

Some of the names floating around (in no particular order - sit down for this):
Gruden
Kelly
Kiffin (yes, Lane Kiffin)
Stoops (Bob)
Norvell
Mullin

msstate7
10-23-2017, 07:42 PM

Those cats are gonna swing for the fences on this next hire... They are gonna want to throw enough money at a "well known" head coach that has experience at programs they consider "bigtime"....

Gruden
Kelly
Stoops (Bob)
Norvell
Mullin

Gruden is a pipe dream. Stoops is where they should be pushing their pile. Stoops is a very good coach that?s now had a year off to recharge.

ETA... if I missed on big names, I would strongly consider Brent Venables

Jack Lambert
10-23-2017, 07:47 PM
I believe Dan is extremely intelligent. If he were to take that train wreck in Knoxville I would have to re evaluate how smart I believe he is.

Tenn would have to come up with too much money to buy Jones out and to pay Mullen. They could do it but I don't think they would. I think what will happen is some coaching movement when Saban leaves. You will see high profile coaches leave Big 10 to come to the SEC and a Big 10 job will come open that Mullen will take.

Liverpooldawg
10-23-2017, 07:47 PM
Why do "our" fans insist helping the Confederates spread this stuff? "We" do it every time we start looking like we are going to have a good year. I don't get it.

Political Hack
10-23-2017, 07:48 PM
I know all that in-state talent is attractive in Tennessee, but I don't see him leaving for Knoxville. Cool town, but crap program. They aren't what they used to be and never will be again.

dawgday166
10-23-2017, 07:50 PM
Tenn would have to come up with too much money to buy Jones out and to pay Mullen. They could do it but I don't think they would. I think what will happen is some coaching movement when Saban leaves. You will see high profile coaches leave Big 10 to come to the SEC and a Big 10 job will come open that Mullen will take.

Not sure about that one Jack. I think Urban and Harbaugh are there to stay (unless either one starts losing over several years or Harbaugh can't beat Urban). Franklin may consider it tho.

Am I missing any other high profile Big 10 coach?

Jarius
10-23-2017, 07:51 PM
Tennessee has unrealistic expectations, which makes it a worse job than ours if you really look at it. We can pay Dan whatever they offer him and he won't be told to win the conference or get fired in 5 years like he would at Tennessee.

IMissJack
10-23-2017, 07:53 PM
Not sure about that one Jack. I think Urban and Harbaugh are there to stay (unless either one starts losing over several years or Harbaugh can't beat Urban). Franklin may consider it tho.

Harbaugh is making BIG money to not beat OSU and MSU...It won't last forever, unless he starts.

dawgday166
10-23-2017, 07:55 PM
Harbaugh is making BIG money to not beat OSU and MSU...It won't last forever, unless he starts.

Correct.

Political Hack
10-23-2017, 07:55 PM
Tennessee has unrealistic expectations, which makes it a worse job than ours if you really look at it. We can pay Dan whatever they offer him and he won't be told to win the conference or get fired in 5 years like he would at Tennessee.

We can outpay UT, let our coach design his practice facility and office, and build a huge ass stadium expansion if he wants one. UT has a pontoon Navy.

Dawg61
10-23-2017, 07:58 PM
saturdaydownsouth

SDS is rebel trash and needs to be treated like the Clarion Liar gets treated on this board. Don't link their shit don't discuss their crap articles. They have been trolling MSU for years now.

Political Hack
10-23-2017, 08:00 PM
SDS is rebel trash and needs to be treated like the Clarion Liar gets treated on this board. Don't link their shit don't discuss their crap articles. They have been trolling MSU for years now.

Bingo.

I've said this a few different ways, but I'm just gonna lay it out here: UT is a shit job. It's NOT better than state. We are lightyears ahead of them with our Ath Dept management, financial management, and program status.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2017, 08:04 PM
Bingo.

I've said this a few different ways, but I'm just gonna lay it out here: UT is a shit job. It's NOT better than state. We are lightyears ahead of them with our Ath Dept management, financial management, and program status.

Amen!!!

Jack Lambert
10-23-2017, 08:05 PM

I don't think Harbaugh or Urban will but you never know about Franklin or PJ Fleck. It's not just Big 10 coaches it could be any p5. I just think LSU would be easy to win the West if Saban wasn't at Bama. That will be a covenant job once Saban leaves Bama. I think A&M is a lot like LSU. Yes they have other in state schools to recruit against but they are in Texas with a lot of talent and they are the only one in the SEC.

Who ever get PJ Fleck will get a good one. I think he would leave Minnesota in a minute for the right SEC school

TUSK
10-23-2017, 08:08 PM
We can outpay UT, let our coach design his practice facility and office, and build a huge ass stadium expansion if he wants one. UT has a pontoon Navy.

I think if UT can get one of the coaches they really want, they'll break the bank... I'm guessing minimum $5, prolly the $6 range, and possibly higher...

TUSK
10-23-2017, 08:10 PM
I don't think Harbaugh or Mires will but you never know about Franklin or Flack. It's not just Big 10 coaches it could be any p5. I just think LSU would be easy to win the West if Saban wasn't at Bama. That will be a covenant job once Saban leaves Bama. I think A&M is a lot like LSU. Yes they have other in state schools to recruit against but they are in Texas with a lot of talent and they are the only one in the SEC.

I forgot to list Franklin, Jack... Coondogs are eyeballin' him, too...

Liverpooldawg
10-23-2017, 08:13 PM

Correct.

Cooterpoot
10-23-2017, 08:14 PM
TN will go after Fuentes.

basedog
10-23-2017, 08:20 PM
No way I see Franlkin leaving PSU.

Stoops would be a huge hire!

basedog
10-23-2017, 08:24 PM
A football head coach in the SEC hasn't been poached from another SEC school since 1999. Stop with the bullshit already. Tired of the insecurities.

I agree.

LC Dawg
10-23-2017, 08:40 PM
If TN is such a great ****ing job how come the last three coaches they were able to attract are Lane Kiffin, Derek Dooley, and Butch Jones?

Commercecomet24
10-23-2017, 08:47 PM
If TN is such a great ****ing job how come the last three coaches they were able to attract are Lane Kiffin, Derek Dooley, and Butch Jones?

Exactly! They think they are bama but they aint.

Bucky Dog
10-23-2017, 08:52 PM
Since 2009 the records are:

MSU 61-42

UT 53-48

Not including this year and we play in the SEC West. Now you tell me who the better program is now and not in the past or based on fan support and shit. All that doesn’t mean shit in the grand scheme of things because your school and alumni are rich and big!!!

TUSK
10-23-2017, 08:56 PM
Here’s a DYK....

Tennessee’s offense has scored 9 points in their last 14 quarters (3.5 games) of play (3 FGs, 0 TDS)...

Commercecomet24
10-23-2017, 08:59 PM
Here’s a DYK....

Tennessee’s offense has scored 9 points in their last 14 quarters (3.5 games) of play (3 FGs, 0 TDS)...

They haven?t scored a td on offense since September 23. That?s brutal

Hasu Dackds
10-23-2017, 09:02 PM
Exactly! They think they are bama but they aint.

Bama wasn't crap before Saban. Remember that. Exact same situation as Tennessee.

The only difference is the lack of in-state talent in Tennessee. I'm not sure that matters. They and Nebraska are going to be interesting case studies moving forward. If they blow this hire, they might not ever get back.

chainedup_Dawg
10-23-2017, 09:04 PM
Since 2009 the records are:

MSU 61-42

UT 53-48

Not including this year and we play in the SEC West. Now you tell me who the better program is now and not in the past or based on fan support and shit. All that doesn?t mean shit in the grand scheme of things because your school and alumni are rich and big!!!

Exactly. Consider that the East has sucked ass in that time frame and being in the East is essentially worth 2 more wins per year. Extrapolate that over that time frame and subtract it from TN and they are under .500 as a program the last 8 years

Hasu Dackds
There is not much money at TN
You have lost your GD mind

basedog
Bama wasn't crap before Saban. Remember that. Exact same situation as Tennessee.

The only difference is the lack of in-state talent in Tennessee. I'm not sure that matters. They and Nebraska are going to be interesting case studies moving forward. If they blow this hire, they might not ever get back.

Wut? Did you forget ***

"Bama wasn't crap before Saban"?

TUSK
10-23-2017, 09:08 PM
You have lost your GD mind

Yeah, the “UT can’t afford, blah, blah, blah” amuses me.

They may suck ass, but it’s still a big time program re: $..

Johnson85
10-23-2017, 09:09 PM

I'm more bullish on Nebraska than UT. Nebraska doesn't have a great natural recruiting footprint, but it's better than UT's. If you look at natural advantages, is out UT behind Florida, Uga, and even slightly behind USCe in the east.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2017, 09:10 PM
Yeah, the “UT can’t afford, blah, blah, blah” amuses me.

They may suck ass, but it’s still a big time program re: $..

They got plenty of money but the athletic dept has been poorly managed.

TUSK
10-23-2017, 09:20 PM
Wut? Did you forget ***

"Bama wasn't crap before Saban"?

He meant 00-06. I think.

TUSK
10-23-2017, 09:22 PM
They got plenty of money but the athletic dept has been poorly managed.

Management can change almost overnight. The things that UT does have going for it take much, much longer.

TUSK
10-23-2017, 09:28 PM
I’ll add one other tidbit on the Coondogs:

They are an “average” hire away from being a regular ~9-10 win program.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2017, 09:31 PM
Management can change almost overnight. The things that UT does have going for it take much, much longer.

It can but they have been really inept for awhile now and haven?t shown an inkling at change. Money doesn?t always fix everything.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2017, 09:32 PM

Butch was an ?average? hire.

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2017, 09:34 PM

They lack instate talent but they still recruit fairly well.

Tennessee’s 5 year recruiting average is 15th and MSU’s is 24th.

They aren’t an elite recruiter anymore.

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2017, 09:37 PM
I?ll add one other tidbit on the Coondogs:

They are an ?average? hire away from being a regular ~9-10 win program.

Depends on who they draw from the West.

Bama and UGA should be losses for the foreseeable future, and Florida is an average hire from being better due to more local talent resources.

If they draw any SEC West team other than Arkansas or OM over the next 5 years, they really are only a 8-9 win program.

basedog
10-23-2017, 09:39 PM

Tusk, average you say want be a 9-10 win program. Where is this "average hire" you speak?

I will say it again, Tn and TSUN have a lot in common, living in the past!

BrunswickDawg
10-23-2017, 09:40 PM

At the time, Kiffin was considered a home run hire. He was everything Fat Phil wasn?t - young, hard recruiter, coming off a helluva run at USC, considered an offensive prodigy, and was going to bring his Dad and his super defense with him.

That went well.

And you are right - Butch was supposed to be a home run too. Turns out he could only win with Dooley recruits.

TUSK
10-23-2017, 09:44 PM

I kinda think he was below average.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2017, 09:46 PM

Not based on his record. He was considered an up and comer. Now personally I don?t like him but he was a pretty hot commodity when hired.

RocketDawg
10-23-2017, 09:46 PM
Why does Tennessee (the state) not have "the talent"? They're almost as big as Alabama and Mississippi combined.

TUSK
10-23-2017, 09:50 PM
Y?all gimme a bit, I gotta break away but want to continue this discussion.

Y?all do your homework ***.

BBL

basedog
10-23-2017, 09:50 PM

Of course Tusk, and the beat goes on! Best thing for TN is they play in the East which has Vandy, Missouri and Kentucky.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2017, 09:51 PM
Why does Tennessee (the state) not have "the talent"? They're almost as big as Alabama and Mississippi combined.

I have always wondered that too. They have several big metropolitan areas with Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga and maybe some more I?m forgetting.Interesting for sure.

Dawg61
10-23-2017, 10:15 PM
Tennessee has money but they aren't about to invest $45 -50 mill in contract money to attempt to steal Mullen and it'd take that much when you consider that Dan would need a considerable raise from $4.8 mill per year, he'd need a max years contract (5 years), they'd have to pay Butch's buyout and they'd have to pay Dan's buyout. Simply put nobody is dropping $50 mill to sign someone that has never beaten Alabama. That is the standard they MUST hire the next guy with. Someone that can beat Saban. It's a small pool to choose from.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2017, 10:17 PM
Hey Tusk maybe they?ll hire Les****

Spiderman
10-23-2017, 11:19 PM

East Tennessee suffers from what Dan Jenkins called "Under-Bro" syndrome

TUSK
10-23-2017, 11:22 PM
Hey Tusk maybe they?ll hire Les****

It would be a step up from Butch....

Lots of folks on here are calling UT a "shit job"... and that may be (real time, factual), but lemme ask yall this:

If Dan Mullen (above average coach) had Top 15-20ish talent (like UT has), how would he do vs UT's '17 schedule?

I'll hang up, and listen.

TUSK
10-23-2017, 11:37 PM
Tennessee has money but they aren't about to invest $45 -50 mill in contract money to attempt to steal Mullen and it'd take that much when you consider that Dan would need a considerable raise from $4.8 mill per year, he'd need a max years contract (5 years), they'd have to pay Butch's buyout and they'd have to pay Dan's buyout. Simply put nobody is dropping $50 mill to sign someone that has never beaten Alabama. That is the standard they MUST hire the next guy with. Someone that can beat Saban. It's a small pool to choose from.

Dan makes 4.8M/yr? wow... I thought it was a bit lower...

That being said, IF UT thought CDM was "the guy":
1) UT will stroke off a check for Butch's buy out at $6M (they are going to fire him and pay him that, regardless... so, buyout is a non factor).
2) UT won't bat an eye at paying "the guy" $45-50M to coach and pay his former employer's buyout.
3) "The guy" would have a better chance of beating Bammer with UT talent and ancillary support.

that being said, I don't think that UT thinks that CDM is "that guy".... but I do know this:

CDM at UT is more dangerous than:

1) CDM at MSU or,
2) Butch Jones at UT.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2017, 11:54 PM

Lots of folks on here are calling UT a "shit job"... and that may be (real time, factual), but lemme ask yall this:

If Dan Mullen (above average coach) had Top 15-20ish talent (like UT has), how would he do vs UT's '17 schedule?

Les would be a step up. I don?t like butch at all but when he was hired he was considered on the rise. He won 4 conference championships(albeit 2 Mac and 2 big east) in 3 years at central Michigan and 3 years at Cincinnati. So it was considered a good hire at the time. And Dan has proven what he can do with even above average talent.

Dawg61
10-24-2017, 12:02 AM
UT won't bat an eye at paying "the guy" $45-50M to coach and pay his former employer's buyout.

I know it's not your intent but it's disrespectful when you say "wow...I thought it was a bit lower". That line of thinking is just another example of how other fanbases prefer to keep viewing MSU as if it's still 2005. Dan Mullen makes $4.8 mill a year in Starkville, Mississippi which is about $6.5 mill worth in Knoxville (cost of living and shit). MSU took Dan off the table for everyone else with that salary.

Nobody bats an eye at dropping $50 mill unless they are Bill Gates. $50 mill is $50 mill.

MSU has been a better football program than Tennessee for almost a decade straight now. It isn't 1996 anymore when Fat Phil was clearly cheating his ass off to recruit nationally for Tennessee. He didn't share his cheating ways with the new coaches and about 5 other football programs started in Florida since then so Tennessee can't pluck those players away anymore like they used to be able to do back in the 90's. The aren't nearly the same national brand they still hang onto being back with Peyton as their QB. If Tennessee doesn't spend stupid money to grab Gruden or Kelly (and I am not sold Kelly will work either) they aren't going to get much better than their current level. Sooner or later they're just gonna have to face the fact that they are in a subpar talent level state and 15-25 other programs within their recruiting area have all improved significantly since 1996. Knoxville ain't Nashville.

Cooterpoot
10-24-2017, 03:46 AM
Pretty obvious Finebaum achieved what he wanted here. There’s no chance Dan goes to TN. It’s not even remotely possible. Let it go.

Todd4State
10-24-2017, 03:53 AM

If we finish up this class like it looks like we are and we recruit 2019 well you will find out because that's roughly what our rankings will be. I think ultimately Dan can get us from 6-8 wins a year that we are currently at to 8-10 consistently with top 15-20 recruiting. He's averaging 8 a year as it is with what he is currently doing.

So, basically improve o-line and WR recruiting which he is doing and I think he gets us there. Which is why I think the "we'll never be more than an 8 win program" mantra is wrong.

Todd4State
10-24-2017, 03:57 AM
I know it's not your intent but it's disrespectful when you say "wow...I thought it was a bit lower". That line of thinking is just another example of how other fanbases prefer to keep viewing MSU as if it's still 2005. Dan Mullen makes $4.8 mill a year in Starkville, Mississippi which is about $6.5 mill worth in Knoxville (cost of living and shit). MSU took Dan off the table for everyone else with that salary.

Nobody bats an eye at dropping $50 mill unless they are Bill Gates. $50 mill is $50 mill.

MSU has been a better football program than Tennessee for almost a decade straight now. It isn't 1996 anymore when Fat Phil was clearly cheating his ass off to recruit nationally for Tennessee. He didn't share his cheating ways with the new coaches and about 5 other football programs started in Florida since then so Tennessee can't pluck those players away anymore like they used to be able to do back in the 90's. The aren't nearly the same national brand they still hang onto being back with Peyton as their QB. If Tennessee doesn't spend stupid money to grab Gruden or Kelly (and I am not sold Kelly will work either) they aren't going to get much better than their current level. Sooner or later they're just gonna have to face the fact that they are in a subpar talent level state and 15-25 other programs within their recruiting area have all improved significantly since 1996. Knoxville ain't Nashville.

Exactly.

Todd4State
10-24-2017, 04:00 AM
Les would be a step up. I don?t like butch at all but when he was hired he was considered on the rise. He won 4 conference championships(albeit 2 Mac and 2 big east) in 3 years at central Michigan and 3 years at Cincinnati. So it was considered a good hire at the time. And Dan has proven what he can do with even above average talent.

Tennessee needs to hire Iowa State's coach. He has ties to Ohio which is an area that they have historically recruited and he could probably get some good players from there. They'll screw if up again though.

Indndawg
10-24-2017, 05:56 AM
Tennessee needs to hire Iowa State's coach. He has ties to Ohio which is an area that they have historically recruited and he could probably get some good players from there. They'll screw if up again though.

1) Dino Babers (Syracuse)

2) Matt Campbell (ISU)

3) PJ Fleck (Minn)

4) Mike Norvell (mempho)

5) The Hat as a wild card.

dawgday166
10-24-2017, 06:47 AM

He'd win 9-10 a year prolly.

ShotgunDawg
10-24-2017, 07:08 AM
He'd win 9-10 a year prolly.

Exactly, and he’s already close to doing that at MSU and at TN he still has to play Bama every year.

TN is a good job. Just not good enough to leave MSU for.

MedDawg
10-24-2017, 08:07 AM

1) UT will stroke off a check for Butch's buy out at $6M (they are going to fire him and pay him that, regardless... so, buyout is a non factor).
2) UT won't bat an eye at paying "the guy" $45-50M to coach and pay his former employer's buyout.
3) "The guy" would have a better chance of beating Bammer with UT talent and ancillary support.

that being said, I don't think that UT thinks that CDM is "that guy".... but I do know this:

1) CDM at MSU or,
2) Butch Jones at UT.

I'd agree in general. However, for 2018? No, definitely not. UT is clearly not a better job for Dan Mullen than MSU for 2018. And maybe not over the next 5 seasons, with OM sanctions upcoming and quality quarterbacks and running backs on State's campus and currently committed to State for 2018 and 2019. Georgia is already back to easily leading the East. I'd guess that UT will be losing a lot of their good 2014-2016 recruits over the next couple of seasons. So in my opinion, UT wouldn't be a better job for Dan Mullen until 2022 or 2023 at the earliest.

Bully13
10-24-2017, 08:41 AM
I think the changing landscape of college football is evident when you look at programs like NE and TN. TN has always recruited on a national level out of necessity like NE. But the talent pool has grown and the players have more attractive options to stay closer to home. Those types of programs just have a tougher row to hoe these days to separate themselves from the rest of the competition.

as far as Mullen is concerned, if the hammer drops hard on tsun like most folks outside of oxford think, Dan's gonna be sitting in a pretty sweet spot with his $4.8M gig. I'm laying odds on him realizing that.

Liverpooldawg
10-24-2017, 09:19 AM
SDS and Finebaum must be laughing their heads off. We are so predictable.

Hasu Dackds
10-24-2017, 09:38 AM
He meant 00-06. I think.

Thank you. It isn't hard. Before Saban people were saying the same things about Alabama that they are saying about Tennessee now. "They aren't what they used to be, they can't taken anyone's coach, never coming back, etc." Everyone knew they had won titles but they were in the distant and forgotten past.

KentuckyDawg13
10-24-2017, 09:46 AM
One of the few posts I agree with, UT has more money than God. Thus, their ROI is horrible.

Dawg61
10-24-2017, 09:52 AM
Before Saban

Let us know when Tennessee gets Saban. Till then MSU is a better football program than Tennessee.

Tbonewannabe
10-24-2017, 11:01 AM

Also the money wouldn't be that much more and he would have to move his family and all that comes with it like selling a big ass house in Starkville. Megan has said numerous times that she likes the fact that after losing a game that she can still go to the grocery store. That doesn't happen like that in UT. It would be back to death threats and everything else if you lose to UGA, UF, or Bama.

Tbonewannabe
10-24-2017, 01:47 PM

Pros of UT:

Cons of UT:

JMO

I don't know how much is because of UT or the coaches are recruiters. Our recruiting has drastically improved since we have gotten some coaches that are known to be good recruiters. Dan has typically had more develop minded coaches on staff with a couple of guys that were the main recruiters. We have also hired some "recruiting analysts" like other programs so we are getting on closer to even footing.

As far as facilities, Dan basically designed his football complex and he doesn't give a shit about an indoor practice facility (even though we have 2 of them). I haven't been to Knoxville but everything I have seen is that it is big but that is all you can say about it. Davis Wade is a pretty nice stadium and Dan also had input into the endzone expansion. When we bowl it in, he will have input into that also. He isn't too many years away from being #1 all time in wins and he very well might have a statue outside the stadium. You probably can't say that at UT or just about anywhere else. Dan also gets along great with the President and entire athletic department. There is something to be said about Dan and his family loving to live in Starkville. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Tbonewannabe
10-24-2017, 01:54 PM

Gruden
Kelly
Stoops (Bob)
Norvell
Mullin

Gruden isn't leaving ESPN. He makes almost 7 million a year and works maybe 40 to 50 hours a week at his most busy. He isn't taking a college job to work 80 hours a week and have to deal with all of the bullshit boosters and kissing 18 year old kids asses.

Commercecomet24
10-24-2017, 02:07 PM
Gruden isn't leaving ESPN. He makes almost 7 million a year and works maybe 40 to 50 hours a week at his most busy. He isn't taking a college job to work 80 hours a week and have to deal with all of the bullshit boosters and kissing 18 year old kids asses.

This guy gets it. Gruden has said numerous times he enjoys his time with his family and doesn't miss the rat race of coaching. Heck he only works about 4 months out of the year and makes more than he could make coaching.

Hasu Dackds
10-24-2017, 02:27 PM
Mike Norvell at Memphis, or Justin Fuente, or both interesting hires to me. I doubt Fuente would leave, but the point I'm getting at, is Memphis. That's the most talent-rich city in the state of Tennessee and they hardly have any success there. I think the formula for Tennessee football recruiting is to keep Memphis kids in-state. Take their share from Atlanta and Charlotte due to proximity. Then, unfortunately for them, they'll have to go fight like everybody else down in South Florida. It's just the nature of it.

They used to have success in Virginia and California but I just do not see that happening anytime soon again.

On the other hand, you can't go hire a coach with 2 years experience just because the guy is in Memphis. Bottom line, you've got to find a guy who can get the players there. I think they should go with Charlie Strong. I mean Kiffin showed you how to do it. That's why I think Mullen is a horrible fit for Tennessee....he's not a recruiter. For Mullen to jump he needs a program that has a resting talent pulse above that of Tennessee.

Cooterpoot
10-24-2017, 02:45 PM
Dan saw the bad side of coaching at Florida. He's not leaving unless one of a very few jobs open and want him. Not sure why our fans get into this conversation every year.

Tbonewannabe
10-24-2017, 02:55 PM
Dan saw the bad side of coaching at Florida. He's not leaving unless one of a very few jobs open and want him. Not sure why our fans get into this conversation every year.

Yep, Megan has mentioned it multiple times. Dan has to raise expectations a lot more at MSU before you would come close to the fan expectations at any of the "bigger" programs. Similar to Gruden, I am not sure that money would be enough of a motivating factor to get him to move especially when it isn't double your salary type money.

Dan has a lot less stress at MSU and the ability to put his name forever on a SEC program. I am not sure if he thinks of it but he can have his name associated with MSU the way Bowden is with FSU, Beamer at Va Tech, Spurrier at UF, and Snyder at KSU. Saban will never have his name stamped on the program at Bama because of Bear Bryant. He will forever be the guy who reinvigorated "Bear Bryant's program".

Jarius
10-24-2017, 03:08 PM
Tennessee could offer more money than us if they really wanted to, but it would not be reasonable for them to offer Mullen what it would take. We could match them up to 6 or 6.5 if we wanted to. I don't think they would go any higher than that, and I don't think he would leave unless they did.

Joe Schmedlap
10-24-2017, 03:23 PM
At one time, Tennessee WAS a better program compared to Mississippi State. That is no longer true. I don't know why so many people keep spreading the false narrative that UT is a better program than M State.

Jarius
10-24-2017, 03:32 PM
Tennessee is not a better program, but they do have a higher ceiling. They also have unrealistic expectations and shitty in state talent to match those expectations which makes getting fired in 4 or 5 years extremely likely for whoever takes the job.....which makes the job much less attractive to someone that is already making nearly 5 million dollars a year.

Percho
10-24-2017, 03:34 PM

1) CDM at MSU or,
2) Butch Jones at UT.

I agree with you for they are just like OM and would buy the players also.

IMissJack
10-24-2017, 03:42 PM

And this is why ESPN had to layoff about 100 other reporters, and is iffy at best.

Todd4State
10-24-2017, 03:51 PM
I don't know how much is because of UT or the coaches are recruiters. Our recruiting has drastically improved since we have gotten some coaches that are known to be good recruiters. Dan has typically had more develop minded coaches on staff with a couple of guys that were the main recruiters. We have also hired some "recruiting analysts" like other programs so we are getting on closer to even footing.

As far as facilities, Dan basically designed his football complex and he doesn't give a shit about an indoor practice facility (even though we have 2 of them). I haven't been to Knoxville but everything I have seen is that it is big but that is all you can say about it. Davis Wade is a pretty nice stadium and Dan also had input into the endzone expansion. When we bowl it in, he will have input into that also. He isn't too many years away from being #1 all time in wins and he very well might have a statue outside the stadium. You probably can't say that at UT or just about anywhere else. Dan also gets along great with the President and entire athletic department. There is something to be said about Dan and his family loving to live in Starkville. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

You're right. It wouldn't make any sense for Dan to leave MSU for Tennessee. We can pay him the same and it's a lot less stressful at MSU. I also don't think it's a fit for Dan because of how they expect to recruit which is a very similar set-up to Ole Miss and Auburn with overactive boosters. I just don't see it happening. Not to mention we're set-up to win 8-10 games over the next few years. Tennessee is going to probably have to do some rebuilding.

Todd4State
10-24-2017, 03:56 PM
Mike Norvell at Memphis, or Justin Fuente, or both interesting hires to me. I doubt Fuente would leave, but the point I'm getting at, is Memphis. That's the most talent-rich city in the state of Tennessee and they hardly have any success there. I think the formula for Tennessee football recruiting is to keep Memphis kids in-state. Take their share from Atlanta and Charlotte due to proximity. Then, unfortunately for them, they'll have to go fight like everybody else down in South Florida. It's just the nature of it.

They used to have success in Virginia and California but I just do not see that happening anytime soon again.

On the other hand, you can't go hire a coach with 2 years experience just because the guy is in Memphis. Bottom line, you've got to find a guy who can get the players there. I think they should go with Charlie Strong. I mean Kiffin showed you how to do it. That's why I think Mullen is a horrible fit for Tennessee....he's not a recruiter. For Mullen to jump he needs a program that has a resting talent pulse above that of Tennessee.

The problem with them as far as Memphis is the location oddly enough. Memphis is a lot closer to MSU, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, roughly the same as far as Alabama, Arkansas, and LSU in terms of distance and travel time compared to Knoxville and as a result almost everyone in the SEC recruits Memphis some. Everything gets thinned out pretty quickly. Tennessee is a lot closer to Atlanta and probably would be more effective trying there. At the very least they could put a dent into Georgia's recruiting probably while still trying to get what they could out of Memphis and Nashville.

Tbonewannabe
10-24-2017, 04:39 PM
And this is why ESPN had to layoff about 100 other reporters, and is iffy at best.

ESPN did what a lot of businesses do in a down cycle, lay off higher priced employees and get young cheap labor in their place. ESPN kept a few "faces" of the network like SVP and now Gruden. Both of those guys have advertising power that goes along with them and it helps offset their cost and reinforces the ESPN brand. In this day and age, you better do something other than stand in front of a stadium and say things that was on the internet yesterday. ESPN was paying a crap ton of money for old guys to do that and now they are paying probably less than half of those salaries and people still tune in.

ESPN got overinflated salaries for employees for what they were doing which is fine if you are pretty much the only game in town and are making money hand over fist. ESPN now has actual competition so they are paying attention to the costs because the bottom line isn't as healthy.

Hasu Dackds
10-24-2017, 04:51 PM
The problem with them as far as Memphis is the location oddly enough. Memphis is a lot closer to MSU, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, roughly the same as far as Alabama, Arkansas, and LSU in terms of distance and travel time compared to Knoxville and as a result almost everyone in the SEC recruits Memphis some. Everything gets thinned out pretty quickly. Tennessee is a lot closer to Atlanta and probably would be more effective trying there. At the very least they could put a dent into Georgia's recruiting probably while still trying to get what they could out of Memphis and Nashville.
I went back and looked at their 2000 roster (oldest I could find), which was fresh off their natty. Pretty much a mix of TN/FL/GA/SC/NC/VA/AL with some MS and CA thrown in. I guess that's just their cross to bear. Fire up the private jets.

At least they can travel around in a smaller area. Nebraska can't. I would think they'd have to pick about 2-3 places and concentrate everything there. With no ties to the Pac-12, Big-12 or SEC, I'd think CA/TX/GA-FL would be hard to break into, respectively. They are likely just screwed. Better feed some more corn to those Great Plains white boys, and hope you can find a few skill players somewhere.

Dawg61
10-24-2017, 05:11 PM
I went back and looked at their 2000 roster (oldest I could find), which was fresh off their natty. Pretty much a mix of TN/FL/GA/SC/NC/VA/AL with some MS and CA thrown in. I guess that's just their cross to bear. Fire up the private jets.

At least they can travel around in a smaller area. Nebraska can't. I would think they'd have to pick about 2-3 places and concentrate everything there. With no ties to the Pac-12, Big-12 or SEC, I'd think CA/TX/GA-FL would be hard to break into, respectively. They are likely just screwed. Better feed some more corn to those Great Plains white boys, and hope you can find a few skill players somewhere.

Fat Phil was cheating his ass off. It is obvious. Also UCF, USF, FAU, FIU, Vandy, Memphis, Clemson, MSU and like twenty other schools all around Tennessee had shitty football back then so Tennessee could get whoever they wanted using Peyton Manning's name.

Political Hack
10-24-2017, 06:13 PM
Money grows on trees in the SEC, except for trees in TN.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/4473061-tennessee-athletics-department-debt-200-million-sec-derek-dooley-dave-hart

Political Hack
10-24-2017, 06:14 PM
UT can't attract talent without cheating big time and CDM isn't ok with cheating big time.

Commercecomet24
10-24-2017, 06:27 PM

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/4473061-tennessee-athletics-department-debt-200-million-sec-derek-dooley-dave-hart

Yep that athletic dept has been mismanaged for a long time.

BulldogBear
10-24-2017, 06:46 PM

I'd put the chances of Mullen going to Tennessee at 0 out of 100, perhaps even as high as 0 out of 10.

Frankly, how do they even afford to fire Butch?

Jarius
10-24-2017, 07:18 PM
Boy they sure do think they can get Mullen if they want him. Check out Trant. Tennessee fans are clueless.

TUSK
10-24-2017, 08:19 PM
Tennessee is not a better program, but they do have a higher ceiling. They also have unrealistic expectations and shitty in state talent to match those expectations which makes getting fired in 4 or 5 years extremely likely for whoever takes the job.....which makes the job much less attractive to someone that is already making nearly 5 million dollars a year.

your last 2 posts are dead. nuts. on.

+2, if i can.....

Political Hack
10-24-2017, 08:25 PM
Jariius laid it out pretty well. It's a bad situation. Other than Peyton, they're hiring no one that matters.

TUSK
10-24-2017, 08:34 PM
I'd put the chances of Mullen going to Tennessee at 0 out of 100, perhaps even as high as 0 out of 10.

Frankly, how do they even afford to fire Butch?

It’s a 3 step process:
1). “Coach Jones, you’re fired.”
2). “Here’s $6 mil.”
3). “Presser is at 3.”

Commercecomet24
10-24-2017, 08:58 PM
It’s a 3 step process:
1). “Coach Jones, you’re fired.”
2). “Here’s $6 mil.”
3). “Presser is at 3.”

I have always wondered how hurt these coaches are when they get fired but walk out of the meeting with millions. Kinda takes the sting out of the ole pink slip.

TUSK
10-24-2017, 09:32 PM
Fat Phil was cheating his ass off. It is obvious. Also UCF, USF, FAU, FIU, Vandy, Memphis, Clemson, MSU and like twenty other schools all around Tennessee had shitty football back then so Tennessee could get whoever they wanted using Peyton Manning's name.

Yep, & he (Phat Phil) turned in Bammer for cheating (more)...

BrunswickDawg
10-24-2017, 09:39 PM
I have always wondered how hurt these coaches are when they get fired but walk out of the meeting with millions. Kinda takes the sting out of the ole pink slip.
I quit a job a couple of years ago and walked out with 4 months of back vacation pay. That felt pretty ******* special. A few mill and I could live with being left at the airport like Kiffen.

IMissJack
10-24-2017, 09:45 PM
ESPN did what a lot of businesses do in a down cycle, lay off higher priced employees and get young cheap labor in their place. ESPN kept a few "faces" of the network like SVP and now Gruden. Both of those guys have advertising power that goes along with them and it helps offset their cost and reinforces the ESPN brand. In this day and age, you better do something other than stand in front of a stadium and say things that was on the internet yesterday. ESPN was paying a crap ton of money for old guys to do that and now they are paying probably less than half of those salaries and people still tune in.

ESPN got overinflated salaries for employees for what they were doing which is fine if you are pretty much the only game in town and are making money hand over fist. ESPN now has actual competition so they are paying attention to the costs because the bottom line isn't as healthy.

Still no way I think Gruden is worth $7M as an analyst, and I like him.

Commercecomet24
10-24-2017, 09:51 PM
I quit a job a couple of years ago and walked out with 4 months of back vacation pay. That felt pretty ******* special. A few mill and I could live with being left at the airport like Kiffen.

Me to Brother! Most of us would be sweating bullets if we walked into our bosses office knowing we were losing our job. Would be nice knowing I could walk out and say ?so will the receptionist have my $$$$$$ million dollar check ready on the way out??
Different world for sure.

TUSK
10-24-2017, 10:23 PM

Yep, & he (Phat Phil) turned in Bammer for cheating (more)...

Todd4State
10-24-2017, 10:54 PM

No one is worth that as an analyst. But they're probaby paying him that so he won't go back to the NFL as a head coach.

Or Ole Miss.********************

Todd4State
10-24-2017, 10:59 PM
Jariius laid it out pretty well. It's a bad situation. Other than Peyton, they're hiring no one that matters.

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if they end up with Cutcliffe. That would actually be a decent hire for them.

Speaking of Peyton and the Mannings- are they a curse?

Ole Miss after Archie- Integration happens and they drop down from a strong program to average.

Ole Miss after Cooper- Probation. (Shocking) Billy Brewer fired.

Tennessee after Peyton- One bad hire after the other and are an 8-9 win program at best and have lost a lot of profile since the 1990's.

Ole Miss after Eli- The Network takes over and leaves them into a flaming dumpster fire that entertains weekly. "Hey Hugh!"

TUSK
10-24-2017, 11:50 PM
HiJack, since we are talkin' 'bout leavin' jobs....

I left UBS at lunch one day... as I departed, I told the AA "I won't be back".

She asked, "For the day?"

I replied, "Ever."

I left my degree on the wall (yes, I actually have one) and a sweet ass 12" tall bronze elephant on my desk, went across the street, bought a book titled "How to build a House", and went Henry David T. for a couple years...

I miss that bronze elephant.

Tbonewannabe
10-25-2017, 06:12 AM

I replied, "Ever."

I left my degree on the wall (yes, I actually have one) and a sweet ass 12" tall bronze elephant on my desk, went across the street, bought a book titled "How to build a House", and went Henry David T. for a couple years...

That is some strong hate for a job. Congrats on getting out of there.

Tbonewannabe
10-25-2017, 06:14 AM

He does the QB shows leading up to the draft and some other things but I agree that is a lot to pay him for that little work.

Commercecomet24
10-25-2017, 08:27 AM

I replied, "Ever."

You the man, Tusk! You pulled a Johnny Paycheck, "Take this job and shove it". You should've got your elephant though.

BB30
10-25-2017, 09:08 AM
Thank you. It isn't hard. Before Saban people were saying the same things about Alabama that they are saying about Tennessee now. "They aren't what they used to be, they can't taken anyone's coach, never coming back, etc." Everyone knew they had won titles but they were in the distant and forgotten past.

They were on probation if I remember correctly for part of that time and still had two 10 win seasons thrown in there and the drought was only 6 years.

Tennessee lucked into the SECC game in 2007 ranked 15th since then they have been blah blah blah and won some games due to a very down east. If we had played the same schedule Tennessee has the last 6 years we would have probably won the East at least once, probably twice.

Their issue is a lack of talent in their backyard, DA boosters, and more lack of talent in their backyard. They will never be what they were in the 90s. Just won't happen unless they find the next Nick Saban.
FWIW Bama regardless of if they had ever hired Saban or not would have still found a coach that would have competed for a championship here and there, they would have never hit the same dry spell Tenn has when it comes to SEC championship wins etc.

A lot of people on here argue that there isn't enough parody in college football and yet, I think there is more now than ever. A bunch of historically average teams are getting talented players and competing with former big time programs and it is hurting the Tennessees, UFs, and UTs of the world. Michigan State, Mississippi State, TCU, Baylor for a while, Oklahoma State, V tech, NC State, USF, and the list could go on and on of average teams doing some good things.

Tbaen
10-25-2017, 10:01 AM
"I left my degree on the wall (yes, I actually have one) and a sweet ass 12" tall bronze elephant on my desk, went across the street, bought a book titled "How to build a House", and went Henry David T. for a couple years..."

...a modern-day, debauched HDT in a half built log cabin beside a small Lauderdale County lake with a bad-ass satellite dish and a picture of Bear Bryant hanging on the wall just above a print of the Lord's Supper, photo of Bobby Allison fighting Cale Yarborough and John Wayne walking into the sunset.... I can see it all quite clearly.

Tbonewannabe
10-25-2017, 10:13 AM
"I left my degree on the wall (yes, I actually have one) and a sweet ass 12" tall bronze elephant on my desk, went across the street, bought a book titled "How to build a House", and went Henry David T. for a couple years..."

...a modern-day, debauched HDT in a half built log cabin beside a small Lauderdale County lake with a bad-ass satellite dish and a picture of Bear Bryant hanging on the wall just above a print of the Lord's Supper in velvet, photo of Bobby Allison fighting Cale Yarborough and John Wayne walking into the sunset.... I can see it all quite clearly.

fify