PDA

View Full Version : 3rd and ______?

msstate7
10-23-2017, 07:17 AM
Everyone has heard 3rd and Chavis and 3rd and grantham, but the stats are not showing that... opp 3rd down conversion rate: aTm is 2nd in the sec and we are 5th. It is easy to see how aTm is doing this; they are #1 in the sec in sacks. We are #1 in the sec in sacks allowed. We are 2nd in 3rd down conversion rate. 3rd downs while we are on offense will be very interesting... can we neutralize their pass rush?

MetEdDawg
10-23-2017, 07:26 AM
Everyone has heard 3rd and Chavis and 3rd and grantham, but the stats are not showing that... opp 3rd down conversion rate: aTm is 2nd in the sec and we are 5th. It is easy to see how aTm is doing this; they are #1 in the sec in sacks. We are #1 in the sec in sacks allowed. We are 2nd in 3rd down conversion rate. 3rd downs while we are on offense will be very interesting... can we neutralize their pass rush?

The sacks vs sacks allowed will be very interesting. Can Fitz read blitz/pressure and either check out quickly or run away from it and get something downfield or use his legs? I wish he would run a little less and get more opportunities downfield. Athletic defenses can cut him off and prevent him from using the open field and angles to his advantage. If we can mix that portion up and be able to open things up down field, I like our chances.

We will run just fine. But we aren't going to win games against good teams just because of the run. We win them because we convert 3rd downs, get decent yardage on 1st down, and flip field position on teams. Do those things and we are hard to beat.

louisvilledawg
10-23-2017, 07:49 AM

I see what you're saying, but there were definitely some plays in the game that i was like "that's what the UGA and UL people were saying when they mentioned third and grantham."

There were a few 3rd and longs and we just rushed four and played what looked like 2 deep man and the QB either ran for the first down or completed a pass for a chain moving gain. I didn't think we were overly aggressive on 3rd downs, at least in the first half.

But also, i'm just nitpicking, because when you win 45-7, there really isn't much to be upset about. Hailstate.

BrunswickDawg
10-23-2017, 07:57 AM
I think that 3rd and Grantham is one of those things that results from being aggressive on 3rd downs. You either get the sack/TFL or it gets busted wide open. Joe Lee Dunn's D's used have the same thing happen.

thf24
10-23-2017, 07:59 AM
It goes without saying that when you run a very aggressive scheme, you're going to give up some big plays against good teams. The alternative is getting chipped away at 5-10 yards at a time all the way down the field like we've seen for most of the last 9 years. Only a handful of teams have the talent and depth to have the best of both worlds. We're not there yet, so I'll take 3rd and Grantham, risking big plays in order to give us the best chance to come up with plays of our own, over bend don't break any day (or Sirmon's patented bend AND break).

TrapGame
10-23-2017, 08:23 AM
Sure beats 1st and Sirmon.

Todd4State
10-23-2017, 08:23 AM
Two of the offensive lines that they have played this far in SEC play are rated 12 (Florida) and 14 (Arkansas) in sacks allowed. And then South Carolina is rated 8th. So are those numbers because of A&M being good or are those lines not so good?

chainedup_Dawg
10-23-2017, 08:33 AM
Two of the offensive lines that they have played this far in SEC play are rated 12 (Florida) and 14 (Arkansas) in sacks allowed. And then South Carolina is rated 8th. So are those numbers because of A&M being good or are those lines not so good?

This is what I'm wondering. I mean, they've played Arkansas, South Carolina, Bama and Florida. 1 good team, are they the KY of the West?

msstate7
10-23-2017, 08:39 AM
This is what I'm wondering. I mean, they've played Arkansas, South Carolina, Bama and Florida. 1 good team, are they the KY of the West?

They got 3 vs Bama, which is the number we have given up all year

PassInterference
10-23-2017, 08:39 AM
3rd & Sweat

PassInterference
10-23-2017, 08:40 AM
Late in the game, I think Sweat had a 3 & out series where he made all 3 tackles. Think one was a sack.

FanninDawg
10-23-2017, 08:43 AM
We are #1 in the sec in sacks allowed. We are 2nd in 3rd down conversion rate.

While I don't doubt you, I find this really surprising and the two seem contradictory. How many sacks have we allowed? Where are the stats you're quoting?

TrapGame
10-23-2017, 08:43 AM
Late in the game, I think Sweat had a 3 & out series where he made all 3 tackles. Think one was a sack.

We wore Kentucky's OL out. By the 4th quarter they didn't want anymore.

msstate7
10-23-2017, 08:45 AM
While I don't doubt you, I find this really surprising and the two seem contradictory. How many sacks have we allowed? Where are the stats you're quoting?

3 allowed

http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/leader/911/team/defense/split01/category20/sort01.html

FanninDawg
10-23-2017, 08:49 AM
ok, i read that backwards. we are the lowest...

Bully13
10-23-2017, 09:02 AM
I wanna see our WR Couch break out. I know he only made that one 12 yd , 3rd down catch but if you go back and watch it, it was very impressive. some quick hits to players like that and our good tight ends Saturday may make the difference on A&M's blitzes. just a thought.

Cooterpoot
10-23-2017, 09:08 AM
We don't let Fitz throw from the pocket as much as most teams attempt. That's why our sack totals are lower. When he's thrown from the pocket, our receivers have struggled to get open and he holds the ball until pressure eventually gets to him and he throws off his back foot or gets hit. He's never going to be a great pocket passer.

tcdog70
10-23-2017, 09:28 AM
We don't let Fitz throw from the pocket as much as most teams attempt. That's why our sack totals are lower. When he's thrown from the pocket, our receivers have struggled to get open and he holds the ball until pressure eventually gets to him and he throws off his back foot or gets hit. He's never going to be a great pocket passer.

Never is a long time. Give Fitz one all-sec wr and I'll bet He looks alot better. As one announcer pointed out after Fitz over-threw 82, It is hard to pass after you have ran 30 yards and got the shit knocked out of you.

msstate7
10-23-2017, 09:29 AM

We are tied for 4th in the sec in passing attempts per game

Pollodawg
10-23-2017, 09:31 AM
Sure beats 1st and Sirmon.

Old No Punt Sirmon.

WinningIsRelentless
10-23-2017, 09:52 AM
A&M has to bring the house on defense to stop anyone. The zone read and middle of the field in the passing game should be open for us.

Tbonewannabe
10-23-2017, 09:55 AM
The sacks vs sacks allowed will be very interesting. Can Fitz read blitz/pressure and either check out quickly or run away from it and get something downfield or use his legs? I wish he would run a little less and get more opportunities downfield. Athletic defenses can cut him off and prevent him from using the open field and angles to his advantage. If we can mix that portion up and be able to open things up down field, I like our chances.

We will run just fine. But we aren't going to win games against good teams just because of the run. We win them because we convert 3rd downs, get decent yardage on 1st down, and flip field position on teams. Do those things and we are hard to beat.

This is why UGA beat the crap out of us. They were fast and didn't miss tackles.

Coursesuper
10-23-2017, 10:01 AM
I see what you're saying, but there were definitely some plays in the game that i was like "that's what the UGA and UL people were saying when they mentioned third and grantham."

There were a few 3rd and longs and we just rushed four and played what looked like 2 deep man and the QB either ran for the first down or completed a pass for a chain moving gain. I didn't think we were overly aggressive on 3rd downs, at least in the first half.

But also, i'm just nitpicking, because when you win 45-7, there really isn't much to be upset about. Hailstate.

2 Deep man, is that a new combo coverage? I saw us play a good bit of cover 2 and even a little cover 4 late in the game.

confucius say
10-23-2017, 11:20 AM
2 Deep man, is that a new combo coverage? I saw us play a good bit of cover 2 and even a little cover 4 late in the game.

2 deep, man under. All pass eligible players are covered man to man plus two deep safeties playing halves.

Coursesuper
10-23-2017, 12:14 PM
2 deep, man under. All pass eligible players are covered man to man plus two deep safeties playing halves.

I guess I should have used sarcastrics.

Dawg61
10-23-2017, 12:19 PM
Are we still 1st in the country in fewest first downs allowed?