PDA

View Full Version : Want To Know How Much Expectations Have Been Raised at MSU?

ShotgunDawg
10-19-2017, 10:36 AM
Just finished listening to the B&B Show this morning where the main topic of the show was grading out each individual position unit.

The interesting part of this is that our defense has gone from 110 nationally to currently 8th but both Sammon and Hadad gave each individual unit on defense a C grade.

It has become clear that MSU fans have evolved from comparing our team to competitive, bowl teams to comparing our team vs what we need to win a natty.

It's an interesting transformation that has happened before our eyes.

Proceed with caution though because until Saban leaves Bama, competing for a natty is a virtually unattainable goal.

War Machine Dawg
10-19-2017, 11:01 AM
Just finished listening to the B&B Show this morning where the main topic of the show was grading out each individual position unit.

The interesting part of this is that our defense has gone from 110 nationally to currently 8th but both Sammon and Hadad gave each individual unit on defense a C grade.

It has become clear that MSU fans have evolved from comparing our team to competitive, bowl teams to comparing our team vs what we need to win a natty.

It's an interesting transformation that has happened before our eyes.

Proceed with caution though because until Saban leaves Bama, competing for a natty is a virtually unattainable goal.

I think it may partially be us saying "what do we need to win a natty" but I think it is moreso asking ourselves "how can we be a legit contender in the current SEC landscape?" We all accept that Bama is a semipro team under Saban and that virtually no one is catching them. But we're asking how do we break through the glass ceiling to be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the conference. By default, that means what do we need to be a playoff threat/NYD6 team.

Todd4State
10-19-2017, 11:47 AM
We held a team to 10 points, under 200 yards for the game, 29 yards rushing and they gave each unit a C? Damn I thought I had high standards.

Todd4State
10-19-2017, 11:50 AM
I think it may partially be us saying "what do we need to win a natty" but I think it is moreso asking ourselves "how can we be a legit contender in the current SEC landscape?" We all accept that Bama is a semipro team under Saban and that virtually no one is catching them. But we're asking how do we break through the glass ceiling to be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the conference. By default, that means what do we need to be a playoff threat/NYD6 team.

I agree. It's starting to happen because it's the next step for us. Eventually people will want more than just 6-8 wins and a bowl game and the bar will be raised to 8-10 and a NYD bowl game. It won't be easy but that's OK. Getting to that point where our expectations are raised is a good thing.

Bully13
10-19-2017, 12:01 PM
I agree. It's starting to happen because it's the next step for us. Eventually people will want more than just 6-8 wins and a bowl game and the bar will be raised to 8-10 and a NYD bowl game. It won't be easy but that's OK. Getting to that point where our expectations are raised is a good thing.

Yep. We won a great game against LSU then our bubble was burst. I think we have to realize that we went 6-7 last year with some bad losses and a squeaker against the wrong Miami. Still got to build and take the next steps. I like the direction with what's going on in crootin' right now and that is key. All things considered, I can't complain too much about the current direction.

Commercecomet24
10-19-2017, 12:06 PM
We held a team to 10 points, under 200 yards for the game, 29 yards rushing and they gave each unit a C? Damn I thought I had high standards.

No kidding. Their longest run was 7 yards and we only gave up
One big play.

BB30
10-19-2017, 01:53 PM

You do that by continuing to build the program the way Dan has. He has laid a good solid foundation. The key IMO is to continue to sign and develop athletic dual threat QBs that can be difference makers and just continue to slightly improve talent over time in other areas.

We will never be a school that goes out and lands a top 10 class every year. But, if we can start putting consecutive classes together in the 15-20 or even 15-25 range without having a slip up year where we sign a 30s class we can make that jump as long as we continue to develop QBs. We don't need a team full of difference makers we just need a solid group of SEC guys with a couple difference makers on each side of the ball.

You throw in a legit receiving threat with this offense and we are are a different team. Add one legit lock down corner and our defense immediately makes a jump from pretty good to extremely good. We don't have to have elite talent up and down the roster to compete with everyone outside of Bama at this point. The coaches in the west are pretty average outside of Saban and are all beatable.

We can win big(make runs to NY6 Bowls) if we have great QB play and a solid defense. We just have to stay patient and let the process that has gotten us this far continue to work.

Over the last 4 years/what we have done so far this year-

Alabama- 0-4
Auburn- 2-3
LSU- 2-3
Arkansas- 3-1
Texas am- 2-2
Ole Miss - 2-2

We are making clearly making improvements and have a chance over the next 4 to take advantage of an average SECW. We should continue to be competitive with LSU and Auburn. I see no reason as to why we wouldn't have a winning record against Ole Miss and Upig. Alabama is still going to be a L unless something drastic changes. And with TAMU who knows, it wouldn't surprise me if they figure some things out and get better or that we end up going on a 3-1 run or something like that.

Over the next 4 I could easily see us doing below:

Alabama 0-4
Auburn 2-2
LSU 2-2 if it werent for the name could see this as a 3-1 over the next 4
Arkansas 3-1 or 4-0
TAMU 3-1
OM 4-0

That automatically puts you in the discussion for top 3 in the SECW the next 4 years. We won't see UGA anytime soon and I think they are the only team trending in the right direction in the east so we should dominate our East games and be looking at a 6-2 to 7-1 record vs the east. We get UF at home next year which will certainly be winnable.

Obviously, there are a lot of uncertainties over the next 4 years but I do think if Mullen is still here over the next 4 we can expect to win our fair share of SEC games(some big ones) and have a couple shots at NY6 bowls and elevate closer to the 9-10 win mark per season. We are literally a couple of playmakers away from being a potential 9-10 win team this year(looking at NY6 bowl) and at the beginning of the season had you told me we would have a great shot at 8 wins and almost definitely win 7 I would have taken that in a heart beat. We are currently and will continue to be on the best 8 year run we have had in a long time possibly ever... And it blows my mind some still bitch and moan as much as they do.

Starkville has changed so much since Dan came here. The facilities are nicer the town is growing tons of people/contractors are making a bunch of $$ thanks to what Dan+SEC $$ has done. Our Academics are benefiting from it. Freshman enrollment is up. As long as we stay steady eddie and don't rock the boat the future looks mighty bright for our University and our athletic department.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-19-2017, 01:58 PM
How in the hell are we 8th? Georgia and Auburn had their way with us. This ranking is a mirage.

CadaverDawg
10-19-2017, 02:00 PM
You do that by continuing to build the program the way Dan has. He has laid a good solid foundation. The key IMO is to continue to sign and develop athletic dual threat QBs that can be difference makers and just continue to slightly improve talent over time in other areas.

We will never be a school that goes out and lands a top 10 class every year. But, if we can start putting consecutive classes together in the 15-20 or even 15-25 range without having a slip up year where we sign a 30s class we can make that jump as long as we continue to develop QBs. We don't need a team full of difference makers we just need a solid group of SEC guys with a couple difference makers on each side of the ball.

You throw in a legit receiving threat with this offense and we are are a different team. Add one legit lock down corner and our defense immediately makes a jump from pretty good to extremely good. We don't have to have elite talent up and down the roster to compete with everyone outside of Bama at this point. The coaches in the west are pretty average outside of Saban and are all beatable.

We can win big(make runs to NY6 Bowls) if we have great QB play and a solid defense. We just have to stay patient and let the process that has gotten us this far continue to work.

Alabama- 0-4
Auburn- 2-3
LSU- 2-3
Arkansas- 3-1
Texas am- 2-2
Ole Miss - 2-2

We are making clearly making improvements and have a chance over the next 4 to take advantage of an average SECW. We should continue to be competitive with LSU and Auburn. I see no reason as to why we wouldn't have a winning record against Ole Miss and Upig. Alabama is still going to be a L unless something drastic changes. And with TAMU who knows, it wouldn't surprise me if they figure some things out and get better or that we end up going on a 3-1 run or something like that.

Alabama 0-4
Auburn 2-2
Arkansas 3-1 or 4-0
TAMU 3-1
OM 4-0

That automatically puts you in the discussion for top 3 in the SECW the next 4 years. We won't see UGA anytime soon and I think they are the only team trending in the right direction in the east so we should dominate our East games and be looking at a 6-2 to 7-1 record vs the east. We get UF at home next year which will certainly be winnable.

Obviously, there are a lot of uncertainties over the next 4 years but I do think if Mullen is still here over the next 4 we can expect to win our fair share of SEC games(some big ones) and have a couple shots at NY6 bowls and elevate closer to the 9-10 win mark per season. We are literally a couple of playmakers away from being a potential 9-10 win team this year(looking at NY6 bowl) and at the beginning of the season had you told me we would have a great shot at 8 wins and almost definitely win 7 I would have taken that in a heart beat. We are currently and will continue to be on the best 8 year run we have had in a long time possibly ever... And it blows my mind some still bitch and moan as much as they do.

Starkville has changed so much since Dan came here. The facilities are nicer the town is growing tons of people/contractors are making a bunch of $$ thanks to what Dan+SEC $$ has done. Our Academics are benefiting from it. Freshman enrollment is up. As long as we stay steady eddie and don't rock the boat the future looks mighty bright for our University and our athletic department.

Hear here!

Great post

Reason2succeed
10-19-2017, 02:39 PM

Alabama- 0-4
Auburn- 2-3
LSU- 2-3
Arkansas- 3-1
Texas am- 2-2
Ole Miss - 2-2

Alabama 0-4
Auburn 2-2
Arkansas 3-1 or 4-0
TAMU 3-1
OM 4-0

I agree. Good post but next time include chapter names and a table of contents.*

Pipedream
10-19-2017, 02:59 PM
How in the hell are we 8th? Georgia and Auburn had their way with us. This ranking is a mirage.

It's a non pace adjusted stat (per game D) so not super efficient. Yards/play (a more accurate barometer) we are 33rd which is a lot closer to the truth IMO. UK is 73rd in yds/play D.
We are 56th yds/play O. UK is 87th. We are, on paper, the far superior team and we're at home and we have more talent. Thus the spread.

Todd4State
10-19-2017, 03:03 PM

Alabama- 0-4
Auburn- 2-3
LSU- 2-3
Arkansas- 3-1
Texas am- 2-2
Ole Miss - 2-2

Alabama 0-4
Auburn 2-2
Arkansas 3-1 or 4-0
TAMU 3-1
OM 4-0

THIS MAN GETS IT! Thank you!

BrunswickDawg
10-19-2017, 03:37 PM
Good stuff BB30 -

Add this in also - Our rotating East opponents over the next 4 years are UF, @UT, MO, @Vandy. Getting UF at home is HUGE. Easily could see 4-0 with those, combined with going 3-1 or 4-0 vs. Kentucky. Our next four have potential to be as good as '97-'00.

Liverpooldawg
10-19-2017, 04:09 PM

Alabama- 0-4
Auburn- 2-3
LSU- 2-3
Arkansas- 3-1
Texas am- 2-2
Ole Miss - 2-2

Alabama 0-4
Auburn 2-2
Arkansas 3-1 or 4-0
TAMU 3-1
OM 4-0

OUTSTANDING!

Liverpooldawg
10-19-2017, 04:10 PM
THIS MAN GETS IT! Thank you!

You.need to take that post to heart. . His post is by far the best one I have read on here in a long time.

Commercecomet24
10-19-2017, 04:24 PM

Alabama- 0-4
Auburn- 2-3
LSU- 2-3
Arkansas- 3-1
Texas am- 2-2
Ole Miss - 2-2

Alabama 0-4
Auburn 2-2
Arkansas 3-1 or 4-0
TAMU 3-1
OM 4-0

Absolutely dead on accurate! Great post!

Todd4State
10-19-2017, 06:01 PM
You.need to take that post to heart. . His post is by far the best one I have read on here in a long time.

It said a lot of the things I have been saying. You told me it would take 20 years.

Liverpooldawg
10-19-2017, 06:26 PM
It said a lot of the things I have been saying. You told me it would take 20 years.

It also directly refutes much of you stuff. I thought it was a great post. Slow and steady is the only real way.

BrunswickDawg
10-19-2017, 06:44 PM

It also directly refutes much of you stuff. I thought it was a great post. Slow and steady is the only real way.
Would the two of you just go ahead and do it and get it over with. Everyone else is tired of your passive aggressive sexual tension.***

Todd4State
10-19-2017, 06:55 PM

Like what?

drunkernhelldawg
10-19-2017, 07:11 PM

This post deserves at least one reply. Yet no answer can be found. O wait, over the next hill . . . See it! A Championship!

Liverpooldawg
10-19-2017, 07:12 PM
Would the two of you just go ahead and do it and get it over with. Everyone else is tired of your passive aggressive sexual tension.***

LOL!

Liverpooldawg
10-19-2017, 07:19 PM
Like what?

You are all publicly all over Mullen dude, you never quite call for his head, but we all get your drift. If that's not what you mean then maybe tone it down a bit. The essence of that was stay the course and slowly build. Unless you want to do a Bucky, it's the only way. I'd like to be ahead of where we are sure, but I'm happy with the course we are on overall. I see my part in it as being to PUBLICLY stand behind what we are doing. It doesn't get much more public than an internet message board. Good vibes breed good vibes. If I have gripes, I keep them close at hand. Just my two cents.

was21
10-19-2017, 08:34 PM
greatest summary of the last 8 or 9 year

Todd4State
10-19-2017, 09:01 PM
You are all publicly all over Mullen dude, you never quite call for his head, but we all get your drift. If that's not what you mean then maybe tone it down a bit. The essence of that was stay the course and slowly build. Unless you want to do a Bucky, it's the only way. I'd like to be ahead of where we are sure, but I'm happy with the course we are on overall. I see my part in it as being to PUBLICLY stand behind what we are doing. It doesn't get much more public than an internet message board. Good vibes breed good vibes. If I have gripes, I keep them close at hand. Just my two cents.

If I think Dan should be fired I will say that I think Dan should be fired. Just like I think Hevesy should have been fired in the past. Have I had complaints about Dan? Absolutely. Has Dan responded to and fixed most of those complaints? Yes. And the one thing that he hasn't done- get rid of Hevesy- he has been rumored to have at least had a come to Jesus talk with him.

The way I see things a coach is allowed to make mistakes but they are also given an opportunity to fix them. If he doesn't do that then that may constitute firing depending on the situation. To Dan's credit- which I have given him MULTIPLE times- Dan has changed everything I wanted except for Hevesy. Most of the things I wanted changed were very simple things that many fans wanted changed and have helped us get to the position we are now and poised to take the next step. And if Hevesy improved his recruiting and his unit plays better then that's fine too.

Dan has come a looonnggg way since the end of 2015 and then losing to South Alabama. New DC, better recruiting, not playing upperclassmen as much, and improved special teams play are all things that many have clamored for and are controllable things that Dan has changed since the South Alabama game- and are all things that will help put us over the top once our better WR prospects get here next year. And it didn't take 20 years to do it.

And while no I don't think I had anything personally to do with Dan's changes I think it's pretty awesome that someone who does matter with such decisions actually agreed with me to help with the necessary changes. Blind loyalty like yours would have probably led to more South Alabama losses and guys like Damien Williams starting at QB for us.

Liverpooldawg
10-19-2017, 09:31 PM
If I think Dan should be fired I will say that I think Dan should be fired. Just like I think Hevesy should have been fired in the past. Have I had complaints about Dan? Absolutely. Has Dan responded to and fixed most of those complaints? Yes. And the one thing that he hasn't done- get rid of Hevesy- he has been rumored to have at least had a come to Jesus talk with him.

The way I see things a coach is allowed to make mistakes but they are also given an opportunity to fix them. If he doesn't do that then that may constitute firing depending on the situation. To Dan's credit- which I have given him MULTIPLE times- Dan has changed everything I wanted except for Hevesy. Most of the things I wanted changed were very simple things that many fans wanted changed and have helped us get to the position we are now and poised to take the next step. And if Hevesy improved his recruiting and his unit plays better then that's fine too.

Dan has come a looonnggg way since the end of 2015 and then losing to South Alabama. New DC, better recruiting, not playing upperclassmen as much, and improved special teams play are all things that many have clamored for and are controllable things that Dan has changed since the South Alabama game- and are all things that will help put us over the top once our better WR prospects get here next year. And it didn't take 20 years to do it.

And while no I don't think I had anything personally to do with Dan's changes I think it's pretty awesome that someone who does matter with such decisions actually agreed with me to help with the necessary changes. Blind loyalty like yours would have probably led to more South Alabama losses and guys like Damien Williams starting at QB for us.

As I said..

Dawgface
10-20-2017, 08:01 AM

True. Thus the grade of C.

BB30
10-20-2017, 08:40 AM
I agree. Good post but next time include chapter names and a table of contents.*

Ha Ha yea, I got a bit long winded. My apologies. Todd I agree with you, Mullen needed to make some changes, he has, and you have given credit where it is due. Nobody is above criticism including Dan, just because he has done a pretty good job so far doesn't mean he hasn't made mistakes.

In all honesty we should have expected some mistakes especially early in his career as he is still considered a young coach relative to a several of the elites when they hit their prime. As long as Dan doesn't get complacent and pull a Les Miles he will continue to grow the program. I just think we have some fans that are ready to jump off a ledge after every loss and that is missing the forest for the trees.

Also, look at some major programs that have gotten rid of coaches with long successful stints after 1 or 2 average seasons/leaving on their own. I don't think Tennessee will ever be the same. LSU is a wait and see. UF still hasn't impressed me at all since Meyer left. Out of the SEC several programs haven't been the same since losing a consistent winner, UT,Oregon, etc.

Nothing makes me think that we would be able to make another guaranteed slam dunk hire if and when Mullen leaves. I know we are a different program now but nothing in our history shows that we have the ability to follow up a good coach with another good coach and we usually slide into a decade of mediocrity after a winner.

Bully13
10-20-2017, 08:45 AM
nothing wrong about being long winded BB30 when you post quality things like that. one of the best posts I've seen around here in a while. thank you sir.