PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky rivalry

Todd4State
10-19-2017, 12:45 AM
I've heard Dan in the last talk about how Kentucky is "kind of a rival" and on the MSU Wikipedia page it talks about Kentucky being a rival of ours. Why? It just seems weird to me and I don't have feelings of angst towards them. I would consider Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Arkansas, and even USM and Memphis more of a rivalry than Kentucky.

So when did this rivalry happen? It just seems odd to me is all.

MSU/Kentucky back in the day was a great ESPN Thursday night game or ESPN2 match up in the 1990's. Joe Lee vs Mumme and Leach. I will admit those were some inreresting games.

mstatefan91
10-19-2017, 02:08 AM
They're 1-7 against Mullen, correct? I would accept it being a rivalry before Mullen. But win Saturday, no.

BrunswickDawg
10-19-2017, 06:09 AM
Because they are one of the few teams in the SEC that we have a decent record against and we play every year, they assume we are rivals.

Dawgology
10-19-2017, 07:40 AM
They aren't. They are a permanent cross-divisional team that we play that the conference tries to force as a rival.

BulldogBear
10-19-2017, 07:42 AM
I don't consider this a rivalry but it does seem to be important for both schools to win. Win it and go bowling. Lose it and often times not go bowling.

Liverpooldawg
10-19-2017, 07:57 AM
It’s usually a big game for both schools but I don’t consider them a rival. I don’t know anyone who does either. It’s not that I have anything against them or that I like them, I just don’t think about them till we play them when it comes to football or any other sport except basketball. In basketball I wouldn’t consider them a rival either but they are ever present at the top so saying you never think about them would be disingenuous.

KentuckyDawg13
10-19-2017, 08:05 AM
BBall used to be a rivalry, when MSU was at the top of the SEC.
I have had no smack talk this week from the UK crowd, even though I saw a total of 6 UK bumper stickers on the way to work. They are everywhere here. Usually some of my UK buds would start harassing me by now during game week, but they are suspiciously quiet this week.

Tbonewannabe
10-19-2017, 09:31 AM
It’s usually a big game for both schools but I don’t consider them a rival. I don’t know anyone who does either. It’s not that I have anything against them or that I like them, I just don’t think about them till we play them when it comes to football or any other sport except basketball. In basketball I wouldn’t consider them a rival either but they are ever present at the top so saying you never think about them would be disingenuous.

We went to UK last year and we were surprised that there were a lot of fans that apparently hated MSU. I have been to games several times there but this was the first time we had people talking shit going to the stadium. The first time we just thought someone got into the bourbon a little hard but it happened about 10 times walking to the stadium.

BrunswickDawg
10-19-2017, 09:45 AM
We went to UK last year and we were surprised that there were a lot of fans that apparently hated MSU. I have been to games several times there but this was the first time we had people talking shit going to the stadium. The first time we just thought someone got into the bourbon a little hard but it happened about 10 times walking to the stadium.

They hate us because we are 17-9 against them since it became an annual game in 1990 - including the 7 straight under Dan. Prior to that our record against them was 6-11.

They are our lone SEC bitch and they know it.

Cooterpoot
10-19-2017, 09:53 AM
Dan owns lower tier SEC teams.

Political Hack
10-19-2017, 09:58 AM
They see it as a rivalry. We've got too many teams we don't like ahead of them. Even at the CFB Hall of Fame it list U.K. As one of our rivals.

TUSK
10-19-2017, 05:03 PM
Where's Bammer fit on most of y'all's "MSU Rivals List"?

Long time Bammers (like myself), have 1)AU or UT with LSU 3rd... Newer Bammers prolly rank it: 1) AU, 2) LSU, 3) UT

BrunswickDawg
10-19-2017, 05:14 PM

Long time Bammers (like myself), have 1)AU or UT with LSU 3rd... Newer Bammers prolly rank it: 1) AU, 2) LSU, 3) UT

I don?t think we can call Bama a rivalry because rivalry is made up of 2 things to me-
1) mutual dislike
2) a competitive record between the two.

We have OM. AU has grown into a rivalry since Jackie won their in 1991 starting Dye?s tailspin, and then the Cam Scam. Arkansas probably comes in 3rd for us. Just my opinion.

TUSK
10-19-2017, 05:27 PM
I don?t think we can call Bama a rivalry because rivalry is made up of 2 things to me-
1) mutual dislike

We have OM. AU has grown into a rivalry since Jackie won their in 1991 starting Dye?s tailspin, and then the Cam Scam. Arkansas probably comes in 3rd for us. Just my opinion.

100% agree, buddy....

Liverpooldawg
10-19-2017, 05:36 PM
They see it as a rivalry. We've got too many teams we don't like ahead of them. Even at the CFB Hall of Fame it list U.K. As one of our rivals.

I remember seeing that. I was like, WHERE did that come from?

RocketDawg
10-19-2017, 05:40 PM

To me, Bama is our #1 rival because it's the one I'd like to beat most. Ole Miss is second.

I realize that's not the popular opinion, especially those who live in Mississippi, but you wouldn't live here without changing your mind.

In my mind, a rivalry is a team that you would like to beat, whether you ever actually beat them or not. Win/loss record has nothing to do with it. A close record might make it a bit more intense though. I'd say Auburn and LSU are secondary rivals to Bama and Ole Miss. Kentucky's not even in the realm of consideration.

Liverpooldawg
10-19-2017, 05:43 PM

If the historic series had been closer MSU-Bama would have been a heck of a rivalry. We are closer to each other than we are to our respective in state rivals. Think MSU-UA bketball during Stansbury and Gotfrieed (however you spell it). That got pretty dang heated. As it is it's not a rivalry at all. We obviously would rather beat you than anybody else we play. The real measure of a rivalry isn't who you want to beat. It's who you stinking can't stand to lose to because it eats at you 365 days a year. That's UM and only UM for us.

Liverpooldawg
10-19-2017, 05:46 PM
To me, Bama is our #1 rival because it's the one I'd like to beat most. Ole Miss is second.

I realize that's not the popular opinion, especially those who live in Mississippi, but you wouldn't live here without changing your mind.

In my mind, a rivalry is a team that you would like to beat, whether you ever actually beat them or not. Win/loss record has nothing to do with it. A close record might make it a bit more intense though. I'd say Auburn and LSU are secondary rivals to Bama and Ole Miss. Kentucky's not even in the realm of consideration.

If you still lived in Mississippi you would most likely think differently. Beat Bama and lose to THEM and it's not really a decent season. It is the other way around.

Liverpooldawg
10-19-2017, 05:48 PM
1) mutual dislike

I'd second this. As an old Dawg I still remember when Mississippi Southern mattered, at least in state. They really don't now.

Liverpooldawg
10-19-2017, 05:49 PM
1) mutual dislike

I'd second this. As an old Dawg I still remember when Mississippi Southern mattered, at least in state. They really don't now.

Hail State
10-19-2017, 07:36 PM
I remember in '09 when Boobie ran all over them we went up there to the game. The fans were fine before the game but they lost their minds after we won. We sat at the other end of the stadium from the student section and a group of students came all the way over from the other side to scream and cuss at us as we saluted the team after the game. I mean they were screaming f bombs, mfers and flipping us off they were so mad. We were just standing there looking at each other asking ourselves "is this really happening"? We really thought we were going to be attacked. It was nuts.

Goldendawg
10-19-2017, 09:40 PM
I don't consider anyone (except maybe UNM) as a rival unless the series is competitive. Kind of like UNM claiming LSU as their #1 rival when they hardly ever beat them.