PDA

View Full Version : Amid news we are making offensive changes and putting Russell under Center

Coach34
04-10-2013, 03:50 PM
I link a piece I wrote back in November

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/?p=5105

War Machine Dawg
04-10-2013, 04:05 PM
I won't lie, Coach. I thought you were f'n nuts when you originally said offense was a bigger problem than defense last season. But after you said that, I started watching more closely. I went back and looked at scores. Slowly, I came to a conclusion: You were spot on with that assessment. Offense was a bigger problem than the defense. Hopefully we'll see some significant improvement this season on offense. We've GOT to join the 21st century when it comes to offensive production.

BeastMan
04-10-2013, 04:11 PM
I think this year our offense has even more pressure on it b/c the D will be better, no doubt in my mind. I like certain things I've seen and the potential is there but we have to get more production from our offense next year

Will James
04-10-2013, 04:17 PM
And I posted this 2 days before you posted that.

Is it illegal for us to run non spread formations? I mean I know I've seen LSU Bama and UGA line up and pound the rock like we have in the past. There is no reason that we shouldnt run the exact same offense as UGA given our personnel

For whatever reason we always split everyone out wide and do the same damn shit. It's time we put TR under center and pound Griffin away with Perk coming in to change pace, catch some wheels,
Screens, etc It's embarrassing the lack of common sense and imagination coming out of our offense. We say we tailor the offense for the personnel but that is a bunch of BULLSHIT

With the god awful receiving core we should have had a look similar to UGA or LSU. 2 WR with 2 TE. Here's a news flash the tight ends can run routes too Les you mother17er. It was clear to anyone that we needed the TE help with TR on his ass all day every day. We needed quick routes inside and great route runners outside. Watch an LSU film. With our lack of speed and ability to get open the spread especially the pass first spread this year was the LAST thing needed.

Dan better wake up quick on this if TR is going to be our QB next year. Even I its Dak we still won't have the players to run an effective spread. Give the 17ing ball to Nick and set up Morrow and RoJo on the 1 on 1 coverages outside or hit MoJo and Tubby inside. But the main thing is you have to set that up by riding Nick like a mule to set TR's laser up.

17 this was a frustrating team to watch this year
// rant over

http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?98619-Coach-Mullen-Stop-Half-Assing-the-Offense :)
Twas an unhappy Egg Bowl evening

Will James
04-10-2013, 04:30 PM
In case some of you have forgotten.. Since we are having a history lesson

How about let's look at our losses. 2010 and 2012 both teams were 8-4 4-4. In 2010 our losses came against the National Champs, the best 3 loss team eva, the Sugar Bowl champs, and at LSU. No one could concieve 4 tougher teams to play, and in none of those games did we give up. 2012 losses came to the National Champs, a TAMU team with an explosive offense and attackable defense (Arkansas 2010), at LSU, and the Bears.

The National Champs cancel out, Arky and TAMU cancel out, at LSU cancels out, which leaves 2010 Alabama vs the 2012 Bears. 2010 WAY STRONGER! Here's the stats for those losses, as losses are where blame needs to go... Because they're losses.

2010 15.5 ppg 2012 16.2 ppg

2010 325 YPG 2012 313 YPG

2010 170 Rush ypg 2012 56 rush ypg

2010 31-68 3rd down conversions 46%
2012 10-46 3rd down conversions 22%

Also we averaged a full 4:00 less in TOP in 2012 losses than 2010

Defense was bad but our offense did not allow us to compete this season. 56 rushing yards per game against weaker opponents. 22% on 3rd down giving them the ball right back. This is why we got blasted in those games. Our offense could not do shit until garbage time, where yards come easy, and we STILL couldn't match the YPG from 2010 with Chris 17ing Relf at QB.

And why are we clamoring for Russell again? Like we're going to change anything. TR is not that great of a QB, these losses have proven that. It is not a stretch to say that Dak would give us a better chance of success.

Give me Dak. Give me 2010 all day with the actual threat of a pass unlike Relf and give me my hope of an upset on gameday vs the big boys.

fishwater99
04-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Anyone heard if we have a FB in to block when TR is under center??

ckDOG
04-10-2013, 04:38 PM
I link a piece I wrote back in November

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/?p=5105

I just hope we are competent at calling plays under this approach. I totally get tweaking the offense to fit what your talent is capable of, but if the coaches can't manage that philosophy, it's going to be painful. Like players, coaches are capable of doing some things and not others.

Coach34
04-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Like players, coaches are capable of doing some things and not others.

Absolutely. I was a pretty good offensive coach in my time, and did a good job when I was calling what I knew best. When I was having to work under others and run their systems- the I and Wing-T- I was ok, but never felt comfortable.

I'll never forget when I moved over here to Louisiana and was working the coach here. Big Wing-T guy- which is something I'm not. At the Spring scrimmage we were getting stuffed and all I could think about was open the midline option was. Would have gashed the other team, but of course we didnt run it. I was busy with baseball and had been monitoring their Spring practice as much as I could to get a feel for what they were doing.

All the coaches were meeting at the break, and the OL coach (whom I never got along with) looked up at me and said "Mr. Offense, what would you do in this next session?"...I looked at all of them and said "I'd scrap that shit ya'll are running and run some midline and veer so you can move the ball"....that went over about as well as Hitler making a toast at a bar mitzvah

We have good coaches and they hopefully will do a good job with what we are installing. I dont think we are making wholesale changes- but are adding some new formations and taking advantage of what we can do out of those formations. That's not as hard to adjust to as completely changing an offense. We'll be running alot of the same plays, just from under center and such.

Coach34
04-10-2013, 06:13 PM
I won't lie, Coach. I thought you were f'n nuts when you originally said offense was a bigger problem than defense last season. But after you said that, I started watching more closely. I went back and looked at scores. Slowly, I came to a conclusion: You were spot on with that assessment. Offense was a bigger problem than the defense. .

We had problems on both sides of the ball- no doubt. But it just baffles me how people were giving the offense a pass and completely blaming the defense. Shit, I'm an offensive guy and will defend offense at all cost- but when it's pretty obvious like 2012 was- not much you can say.

Cant understand how people were going batshit about the defense vs Texas A&M when the offense had 2 first downs in the first half? Yes, A&M scored 21 points- but why couldnt we at least score 14? Hell, it's a game still if we do that.

I'll defend Mullen as long as he deserves it. He is doing a good job as coach at State. But we need to improve the offense- that falls on him. I think what we're doing this Spring is a step in the right direction- so I'm excited about the Fall and seeing some improvement. Tyler should feel more comfortable, so that's a plus as well.

slickdawg
04-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Without exception, Chris Wilson needed to go.

That said, the defense got us the ball. Hell, Cam Lawrence had two interceptions. We got turnovers and didn't do shit with them. They got turnovers and scored on us.

Hell, we drove 97 yards on Alabama (102 if you count the penalty) and what did we did? Pick in the end zone. Had a drive at LSU end the same way. If we are inside their 5, I'm running Perk or Jrob up the gut four times and take my chances.

War Machine Dawg
04-11-2013, 09:50 AM
I'll never, ever understand the gameplan for Mississippi. They ran a 3-4 with a 235 pound NT. I'd have lined up in power sets and pounded them with Griffin & J-Rob all night. They'd either have to load the box to stop the run, opening up the play-action for TR, or die a slow death with our big backs running it down their throat.

Coach34
04-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Griffin was hurt but I agree. I wondered all year long why we didnt run the ball more. Our scheme was just shitty- thats about all you can say

Pollodawg
04-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Exactly, this team frustrated the hell out of me at time. We would engineer excellent drives on top flight defenses, then blink out when it counted. That LSU game was closer than the score made it look. That really should have been a six point game, just sayin.......

biscuit
04-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Historically we have always been a power team. It has always fit our personnel. Ground and Pound baby! I like it.

fishwater99
04-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Put a fullback in there and load up...

CadaverDawg
04-11-2013, 10:54 AM
I'll never, ever understand the gameplan for Mississippi. They ran a 3-4 with a 235 pound NT. I'd have lined up in power sets and pounded them with Griffin & J-Rob all night. They'd either have to load the box to stop the run, opening up the play-action for TR, or die a slow death with our big backs running it down their throat.

I felt the exact same way. The biggest thing that frustrated me about our offense, was the play calling. Like Coach said above, sometimes you have to scrap what you're doing if the other team is providing you an obvious advantage from a different formation or set of plays. I felt like Mullen/Koenning were far too stubborn last year, and then got too damn cute in the red zone. I understand that you like having Dak in the red zone, but when your offense has just zipped it down the field in 6 or 7 plays, you don't HAVE to change QB's just because it is the red zone. Sometimes you have to use your gut as a coach, and I feel like our coaches gut feelings were just gas last year.

And like you and Slick said, when we get inside the 5 yard line get JRob and a fullback in there and run the ****er 4 straight times if you have too.....but DON"T throw a pass into coverage and end up with nothing because of an INT.

We left a whole lot of 3's on the board last year, and when you are playing teams like LSU and Bama, those FG's go a long way toward keeping you in a game and keeping confidence up. You can't go scoreless in your first two trips in the redzone due to a pick and a missed field goal. We have to get back to running the football and playing solid defense....and we need our FG kicker to get the job done.

I really like that Russell is under center and we are running it more and using play action. I like that our defense appears to be looking good. And hope Bell can have a good year. Those 3 things will be a key to making a bowl game with our schedule this season in my opinion.

bulldawg28
04-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Dak gives us a better chance of moving the ball against teams in the SEC that are now getting smaller and quicker to defend the spread. Rob, Perk, Dak, and the mid to short game with the TE's and WR's is all we need to beat teams.