PDA

View Full Version : Baseball - offense

MsStateBaseball
09-23-2013, 09:47 PM
I bet we have more HR's than last year and score more runs on average. Hitting talent has increased dramatically in one year. Once the young guys get used to college, they will thrive. Rea will be HR leader.

Pollodawg
09-23-2013, 09:50 PM
I am looking forward to it already.

AlSwearengen
09-23-2013, 09:59 PM
other than Rea, where do the homeruns come from?

engie
09-23-2013, 10:00 PM
So you are saying you've got some full-fledged fall ball updates for us???

Saltydog
09-23-2013, 10:01 PM
see a whole heckuva lot of power in the lineup? I know Garner has some pop in his bat but you know Bradford, Pirtle, Henderson, Robson and Hahn won't hit a lot of long balls.

SignalToNoise
09-23-2013, 10:03 PM
Is it silly for me to think that Rea can hit 15+ bombs this year?

engie
09-23-2013, 10:04 PM
see a whole heckuva lot of power in the lineup? I know Garner has some pop in his bat but you know Bradford, Pirtle, Henderson, Robson and Hahn won't hit a lot of long balls.

Several of those guys will be fighting to hold onto spots IMO...

There is a lot of power potential in the freshman class...

Maroon Diapers
09-23-2013, 10:06 PM

IF he stays healthy this year, he's more than capable of this.

engie
09-23-2013, 10:07 PM

Not at all IMO...

He was just getting into a "drive the ball" mode late last year -- after staying inside and basically inside outing everything(in order to give himself a chance to hit the curve) for most of the year. His development has been hampered by injuries -- but he should be getting pretty close now...

Homedawg
09-23-2013, 10:28 PM
I bet we have more HR's than last year and score more runs on average. Hitting talent has increased dramatically in one year. Once the young guys get used to college, they will thrive. Rea will be HR leader.

I'll sell the hr part and buy the runs part. But you could be right on both. This will be the deepest 35 man roster we have had since Cohen has been here. Maybe not any true offensive stars- as in Frazier and renfroe type of years. But not a fall off anywhere.

Saltydog
09-23-2013, 10:31 PM
Maybe?

C - Garner / Collins???
1b - Rea
2b - Hahn/Britton
3b - Humphreys
SS - Pirtle
LF - Robson/Armstrong
CF - Bradford
RF-Henderson
DH - Detz

I just don't see a lot of pop in this lineup.........I think we'll go as far as our pitching takes us and we'll be more like UCLA was this year......

Will James
09-23-2013, 10:37 PM
Maybe not any true offensive stars

Detz Rea Pirtle

Todd4State
09-23-2013, 10:56 PM
I think we may hit as many or more home runs IF- Rea can essentially replace Hunter's power numbers- which he can if he's healthy AND Reid Humphries or someone else like Gavin Collins or Joey Swinarski emerge and replace what Rea gave us last year in terms of power. Now, that could happen- but there's also a more likely possibility that we won't quite match our home run totals from last year.

My guess is that we will be more of a small ball type team like two years ago- but with much more experienced hitters and hopefully without the injuries. I hope that we will steal more bases and do things like that with guys like CT, Demarcus, Pirtle, Seth Heck, Robson, and etc. I'd like to see at least 10 bags from all of those guys. Detz is an outstanding hit and run guy that puts the ball in play as well. Rea is of course going to be the big home run guy- and he's a fourth year junior with a ton of experience. I think he will have a ver y good year. I'm just not quite sure what we're going to get out of the freshmen like Humphries and Garner- but how quickly they adjust will affect what our offense is. If they adjust quickly and can chip in 5 home runs apiece, we won't be as much of a small ball team. I think Cody Kelly is going to be Mitch Slauter 2.0 as a hitter.

As far as Rea- he should have had at least 12-15 home runs last year. People forget he missed most of the pre-conference season with an injury, and he had at least three balls that should have been home runs- the one in Kentucky and two in Omaha.

Todd4State
09-23-2013, 11:04 PM
Maybe?

C - Garner / Collins???
1b - Rea
2b - Hahn/Britton
3b - Humphreys
SS - Pirtle
LF - Robson/Armstrong
CF - Bradford
RF-Henderson
DH - Detz

I just don't see a lot of pop in this lineup.........I think we'll go as far as our pitching takes us and we'll be more like UCLA was this year......

C- Cody Kelly, Garner, and maybe Collins
1B- Rea
2B- Either Seth Heck, Pirtle, or Hann
3B- Probably Humphries or Kyle Clement. Could be Gavin Collins.
SS- Pirtle, Hann, Heck
LF- Robson/Henderson platoon possibly
CF- CT
RF- Jake Vickerson or Demarcus
DH- Detz.

Joey Swinarski, Gavin Collins, Brent Rooker, and Reid Humphries all are also possibilities in the outfield. Derrick Armstrong will likely be a role player- and a good one.

MsStateBaseball
09-24-2013, 05:56 AM
The talent level of hitting has sky rocketed. The potential is there. Rea might have 10 before SEC play. I am thinking especially Humphreys and Collins will really come on late. Each year guys get more comfortable, C T and Pirtle are 2 excellent hitters. As a collective group plus guys coming off bench, I see offensive explosion. My lineup right now is: Robson-LF, Detz-DH, Pirtle-SS, Rea-1B, Bradford-CF, Hann-2B, Humphreys-3B, Walker-C, Henderson-LF.

MsStateBaseball
09-24-2013, 05:59 AM
Once practice starts, I will be in full mode. So exciting time of year w MLB. I will go see some practices too.

Goat Holder
09-24-2013, 09:35 AM
The lineup, as seen through the players, is as follows:

C: Walker
1B: Rea
2B: Hann
SS: Pirtle
3B: Detz
LF: Robson
CF: Bradford
RF: Humphreys
DH: Garner

Humphreys' and Garner's bats have to be in the lineup. Sorry Hendo.

messageboardsuperhero
09-24-2013, 10:07 AM
I'd be surprised if we hit as many HRs, but I bet we'll have a higher team BA, OBP, OPS, and score at least as many runs. What we lack in HR power, we should make up for in doubles and gap power. Many of the freshmen who will hit doubles this year will be the same ones hitting balls over the wall in 2015.

Teams that rely much on the long ball don't go very far in the postseason these days, so I'm fine with us not hitting as many home runs. We'll make up for it in bat control and offensive execution (ie, hit-and-runs, hopefully steal more bases, etc.).

messageboardsuperhero
09-24-2013, 10:09 AM

I almost expect him to have 15. If he can play every game without injury, anything less than 12 would be a disappointment.

Goat Holder
09-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Agreed. We are going to frustrate the hell out of opponents next year, with our dinking and dunking. Hopefully by the end of the year we'll have a UCLA type team except with a little bit more power.

Bark
09-24-2013, 12:04 PM
I think Hann's power is underestimated also. I think he goes 5-8 homeruns. He's got some pop in that bat.

MsStateBaseball
09-24-2013, 01:45 PM
On YouTube Hann hit one very very far off a Cuban pitcher who was 90+.

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Humphries might not hit 15+ bombs this year. But I'm almost willing to guarantee you he will before he leaves here

Todd4State
09-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Humphries might not hit 15+ bombs this year. But I'm almost willing to guarantee you he will before he leaves here

I think there is a good chance of him doing that too, but baseball players usually need time to develop to where they get to that point.

Will James
09-24-2013, 04:57 PM
Are the bats or balls changing this year? I thought there was some talk of a tighter seamed baseball. Lord knows there has to be a happy medium between gorilla ball and this mess.

Todd4State
09-24-2013, 05:00 PM
More than likely it will be the balls. Honestly, I think they have the bats where they want them from a safety standpoint. And they can't deaden the bats anymore. So, now they will change the baseballs and try to level things out.

engie
09-24-2013, 05:01 PM
I think there is a good chance of him doing that too, but baseball players usually need time to develop to where they get to that point.

I think Humphreys is the most ready-made position player of the Cohen era by alot. Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see.

I wouldn't be at all shocked to see him hit 8+ this year with a ton of doubles -- and I almost expect him to be a RBI machine...

Todd4State
09-24-2013, 05:24 PM
I think Humphreys is the most ready-made position player of the Cohen era by alot. Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see.

I wouldn't be at all shocked to see him hit 8+ this year with a ton of doubles -- and I almost expect him to be a RBI machine...

I could see that as well- I'm typically very conservative with freshmen players as far as expectations. I always feel like any kind of major contribution from a freshman is a huge bonus.

Jacksondevildog
09-24-2013, 05:28 PM
I heard the performance is similar to the others. It's the first year that we haven't used Easton in years.

Are the bats or balls changing this year? I thought there was some talk of a tighter seamed baseball. Lord knows there has to be a happy medium between gorilla ball and this mess.

Homedawg
09-24-2013, 05:30 PM

Definitely agree w this. But I haven't heard of any change for this year. It's too boring for the average fan.

Will James
09-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Definitely agree w this. But I haven't heard of any change for this year. It's too boring for the average fan.

Its not the boring for me, which I disagree with, but its the bullshit. It's about absolutely killing a ball and having it be a fly out. That's just bullshit and not in the spirit of the game.

Bark
09-24-2013, 06:23 PM
Adidas bats? You have got to be kidding me. Scott must be getting some leg from someone at adidas.

Homedawg
09-24-2013, 06:56 PM
Its not the boring for me, which I disagree with, but its the bullshit. It's about absolutely killing a ball and having it be a fly out. That's just bullshit and not in the spirit of the game.

Well, considering you are the self anointed guru, I assumed u weren't an average fan. Therefore, I actually wasn't referring to you.

Homedawg
09-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Adidas bats? You have got to be kidding me. Scott must be getting some leg from someone at adidas.

John had veto power in this deal and didn't use it. So he must be ok w it. I, on the other hand, am disturbed by the decision. But my job isn't on the line either so I'll go w it.

messageboardsuperhero
09-24-2013, 07:50 PM
I think Hann's power is underestimated also. I think he goes 5-8 homeruns. He's got some pop in that bat.

Hann will hit a few. He's got more power than meets the eye.

CadaverDawg
09-24-2013, 07:56 PM
John had veto power in this deal and didn't use it. So he must be ok w it. I, on the other hand, am disturbed by the decision. But my job isn't on the line either so I'll go w it.

That's concerning. Does anybody use ADIDAS bats? I didn't even know ADIDAS made bats. It's been a while since I played ball, but they definitely didn't make bats 10 years ago.

Homedawg
09-24-2013, 08:25 PM
That's concerning. Does anybody use ADIDAS bats? I didn't even know ADIDAS made bats. It's been a while since I played ball, but they definitely didn't make bats 10 years ago.

Not that I know of. But Nike makes them. So Adidas thinks they should, I suppose. I think Nike makes an inferior bat. And golf club for that matter.

engie
09-24-2013, 08:25 PM
Maybe it'll be like the DeMarini bats a few years back...

Feel confident we wouldn't have switched if we didn't think they were better in some ways. Easton built the infield in the Palmeiro Center for us, so they've been a good partner over the years as well...

Interesting nonetheless...

Homedawg
09-24-2013, 08:30 PM
Maybe it'll be like the DeMarini bats a few years back...

Feel confident we wouldn't have switched if we didn't think they were better in some ways. Easton built the infield in the Palmeiro Center for us, so they've been a good partner over the years as well...

Interesting nonetheless...

Agreed. I was shocked. I know Easton offered a lot of money. At least for them. But doubt they had the best offer, they rarely have. $ wise that is.

smootness
09-24-2013, 09:40 PM

That's really only a problem in Omaha. I think most other places, the balls/bats react just fine, and the level of offense is about where it should be. They need to fix Omaha, though, the wind kills everything there.

Will James
09-24-2013, 10:21 PM
the level of offense is about where it should be.

MLB Home Runs - 1 HR every 39 Plate Appearances
SEC Home Runs - 1 HR every 78 Plate Appearances

MLB Extra Base Hits - 1 XBH every 13 Plate Appearances
SEC Extra Base Hits - 1 XBH every 18 Plate Appearances

More Extra Base Hits in the MLB by 38%
More Home Runs in the MLB by 100%!

Coach34
09-24-2013, 10:26 PM
the new bats are killing college baseball. It's ridiculous to watch a team bunt in the ****ing 1st damn inning

Will James
09-24-2013, 10:28 PM
the new bats are killing college baseball. It's ridiculous to watch a team bunt in the ****ing 1st damn inning

Especially when it's a terrible percentage play.

http://www.boydsworld.com/data/ert.html

Corey♥DemDawgs
09-25-2013, 12:27 AM
I can see us scoring more runs and having a higher OBP. I definitely believe Rea will hit 15 bombs at least.

smootness
09-25-2013, 08:18 AM
MLB Home Runs - 1 HR every 39 Plate Appearances
SEC Home Runs - 1 HR every 78 Plate Appearances

MLB Extra Base Hits - 1 XBH every 13 Plate Appearances
SEC Extra Base Hits - 1 XBH every 18 Plate Appearances

More Extra Base Hits in the MLB by 38%
More Home Runs in the MLB by 100%!

I'm ok with this, though. I don't necessarily think things have to be even with MLB. The hitters are worse in college; obviously the pitchers are, too, but I don't necessarily want to give more power to the bats just so we can see players who aren't as strong hit the same # of home runs. As long as it is fair, meaning if you get a hold of one, it will go out, I don't have a problem with it.

Obviously, that isn't the case in Omaha, but to me, the games elsewhere are very entertaining and still have enough offense. Sure, it's more about strategy and manufacturing runs than MLB but that's ok.

Again, in Omaha, you can 'make a pitcher pay' for a mistake and have it be a fly out. In most other parks, if you do what you're supposed to do with a hanging breaking ball, it will go out, and that's all they need to do. Any time you get into trying to inflate numbers to specific point, I think it becomes dumb.

Coach34
09-25-2013, 10:11 AM
I'm ok with this, though. I don't necessarily think things have to be even with MLB. The hitters are worse in college; obviously the pitchers are, too, but I don't necessarily want to give more power to the bats just so we can see players who aren't as strong hit the same # of home runs. As long as it is fair, meaning if you get a hold of one, it will go out, I don't have a problem with it.

Obviously, that isn't the case in Omaha, but to me, the games elsewhere are very entertaining and still have enough offense. Sure, it's more about strategy and manufacturing runs than MLB but that's ok.

Again, in Omaha, you can 'make a pitcher pay' for a mistake and have it be a fly out. In most other parks, if you do what you're supposed to do with a hanging breaking ball, it will go out, and that's all they need to do. Any time you get into trying to inflate numbers to specific point, I think it becomes dumb.

There was something like 2-3 HR's hit at Dudy-Noble during SEC play this past year or in 2012. I remember the announcers during the Regional talking about how a HR hadnt been hit there in over a month or something. That is ridiculous. Nobody wants to watch that shit unless they are a diehard fan.

EEdawg15
09-25-2013, 11:06 AM
Coach that stat had to be from 2012. I remember roughly 13-15 that were hit at DNF during SEC play.

Will James
09-25-2013, 11:13 AM
I know Norris had one smacked off of him. Lindgren and Ross too if memory serves but there weren't many there during the end.

smootness
09-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Coach that stat had to be from 2012. I remember roughly 13-15 that were hit at DNF during SEC play.

Yep, that was 2012. They moved the fences in some last year, and we developed some more power as a team.

Again, these isolated numbers don't tell me anything necessarily. Part of that was due to Dudy Noble being really freaking big, and part of it was due to our team being weak-hitting overall. I don't think the answer to that is to change the bats or balls to make it seem like we have more power. If the Braves fielded a team of Paul Janishes, I wouldn't call for them to go to metal bats so I could see more homers. I would call for the Braves to sign more power, or just better hitters in general.

There were plenty of guys who hit a good bit of HRs in college baseball last year; it's not like nobody could hit the ball out. I think it should simply be fair, meaning, again, if you get a hold of it, it should go out; if you don't, it shouldn't. I think we're basically there right now.

Most people want something in between gorilla ball and nothing ever going out; I agree with that, but I think Omaha is in people's heads too much. We basically had exactly that through most of the year last year in college baseball.

Renfroe ended up with, what, 16? And Rea would have come fairly close had he played all year. In how many games? They would project to 30+ over a full major-league season's worth of games. That's just fine with me.

CadaverDawg
09-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Yep, that was 2012. They moved the fences in some last year, and we developed some more power as a team.

Again, these isolated numbers don't tell me anything necessarily. Part of that was due to Dudy Noble being really freaking big, and part of it was due to our team being weak-hitting overall. I don't think the answer to that is to change the bats or balls to make it seem like we have more power. If the Braves fielded a team of Paul Janishes, I wouldn't call for them to go to metal bats so I could see more homers. I would call for the Braves to sign more power, or just better hitters in general.

There were plenty of guys who hit a good bit of HRs in college baseball last year; it's not like nobody could hit the ball out. I think it should simply be fair, meaning, again, if you get a hold of it, it should go out; if you don't, it shouldn't. I think we're basically there right now.

Most people want something in between gorilla ball and nothing ever going out; I agree with that, but I think Omaha is in people's heads too much. We basically had exactly that through most of the year last year in college baseball.

Renfroe ended up with, what, 16? And Rea would have come fairly close had he played all year. In how many games? They would project to 30+ over a full major-league season's worth of games. That's just fine with me.

I disagree. It's not just Omaha. You were seeing guys make great contact and absolutely crushing balls last year, and they would get caught at the warning track. That isn't a stadium thing, that's a bat issue. I don't like Gorilla ball, but what we saw last year is just bad for baseball. Unfortunately that is the style that helped us get to the Title, so we will have to adjust if things change

Will James
09-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Smootness my numbers weren't just for DNF but the entire SEC where the pros have 100% more HR than our league. That is the problem.

engie
09-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Any time you get into trying to inflate numbers to specific point, I think it becomes dumb.

You were fine with artificial deflation -- but not artificial inflation?

Tweak for a few years to match the numbers up with high A -- a league in which the SEC has very similar overall talent structure -- and let's roll.

High A last year - HR every 36 AB in the Cali League, every 53 AB in the Carolina League, and 40 AB in the Texas league.

There was a home run hit every 67 AB in the SEC.

It's easier for these guys to hit bombs in the Cape Cod league with wood bats than in Dudy Noble with aluminum. Houston, we have a problem.

smootness
09-25-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm ok with a slight bump up. I'm not saying I would hate any change. I'm just saying that for the most part, I'm ok with where it is right now. I don't think there's a huge problem anywhere outside of Omaha.

maroonmania
09-25-2013, 12:17 PM

And its even worse having your national championship showcase in a park like Ameritrade where EVERYTHING goes to die. A lot of fans don't watch much college baseball outside of the CWS. Even though we probably even benefitted from some of the park conditions last year it doesn't make sense for college baseball to determine their championship in a park with that doesn't allow for HRs. Its REALLY bad for the popularity of the sport. It ain't just chicks that dig the long ball.

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-25-2013, 12:33 PM

I'm trying to lower my expectations for him this year, because like Todd4State said, development is a big thing in baseball. Especially when transitioning from high school to the SEC, but I'm telling y'all now, the roof is the limit with him.

engie
09-25-2013, 12:59 PM
I'm trying to lower my expectations for him this year, because like Todd4State said, development is a big thing in baseball. Especially when transitioning from high school to the SEC, but I'm telling y'all now, the roof is the limit with him.

While all this is true and a good idea -- I played for years with arguably the 2 most ready-made HS players to come through MS in the past 15 years...The tangible similarities between them and Humphreys is part of why my expectations are so high.

Like you say though, intangibles are what will make the difference...and I haven't personally evaluated Humphreys on a deep enough level to fully know about that part -- just going on what I've been told by an assistant coach and others close to the NW program. Common sense kinda dictates that a guy with a brother playing in MLB probably won't be in any way intimidated by the bright lights of Dudy Noble...

The beauty of this class and team is that, outside of Rea and a few pitchers, you don't have to set individual expectations that high because the expectations are so high as a group given the depth of talent that if one doesn't step up, the one waiting right behind him will...

MsStateBaseball
09-25-2013, 04:30 PM
My prediction is the same. More HRs and more runs. We simply have more talented hitters than years past. Cohen is an excellent hitting coach. That combo IMO will make us a lot better by May.