PDA

View Full Version : Robbie Faulk Sharing Some Truth

BrunswickDawg
10-14-2017, 08:13 PM
Faulk posted this on twitter -

https://s1.postimg.org/2skhvsuwpr/2835874_D-0_F0_A-4_E76-9_C15-8221985_FC802.jpg

Commercecomet24
10-14-2017, 08:17 PM
Wow thats eye opening.

Jacksondevildog
10-14-2017, 08:19 PM
And we have some fans clamoring for a true freshman QB to come in with freshmen tackles (LT and RT) and limited receivers in front of him.

BrunswickDawg
10-14-2017, 08:19 PM
He also added that we need to remember that we are comparing Fitz to our best QB ever and many are being way to hard on him compared to his actual performance.

ShotgunDawg
10-14-2017, 08:20 PM
Good stuff by Robbie.

Now we have to figure out why the numbers don't relay what our eyes are seeing.

Saltydog
10-14-2017, 08:22 PM
comments of that nature on social media.

ShotgunDawg
He also added that we need to remember that we are comparing Fitz to our best QB ever and many are being way to hard on him compared to his actual performance.

No doubt, but after back to back blowouts where we couldn't score, I think it's totally fair.

We don't have the overall talent to win with meh QB play.

Welcome to the SEC.

msstate7
Good stuff by Robbie.

Now we have to figure out why the numbers don't relay what our eyes are seeing.

Bc we see dak as a cowboy now and when dak was here, we hadn?t seen good qb play in forever.

Goldendawg
Son and I sat through every play and have sunburned legs to prove it. Seems to me Dan is determined to make Fritz a pocket passer, (just like Dak's Sr year). Plays look like called QB runs or called hand offs to the RB. The big play, TD running machine that was Fitz the last part of last year running the read option is seldom seen. JMO, but the strongest part of Fitz's game is being held back. I think this is hurting our O, big time along with wide receiver problems. Thoughts?

Cooterpoot
10-14-2017, 08:24 PM
Ole Dan is throwing it a lot these days.

msstate7
10-14-2017, 08:24 PM
No doubt, but after back to back blowouts where we couldn't score, I think it's totally fair.

We don't have the overall talent to win with meh QB play.

Welcome to the SEC.

You must have missed a dak?s senior year vs OM and Bama. We couldn?t do anything when it counted

Commercecomet24
10-14-2017, 08:33 PM
Dak was a generational type player. Every qb we have now will probably be compared to him and its not fair to them. What counts is winning games. If Fitz wins its all good. Im just enjoying the fact we have competent sec qbs after all the the mediocre play we had back there for my entire lifetime.

BeardoMSU
10-14-2017, 08:35 PM
Wow...that is crazy.

RezDog7
10-14-2017, 08:40 PM
I don't have a problem with Mullen trying to get the throw game going. That is the only way to get better. We could have a run for 1,000 yards today but that want happen against good teams. Like I said before, I like Fitz a lot but he has to throw the ball better for us to compete with better teams.

Goldendawg
10-14-2017, 08:47 PM
Leave Fitz in the pocket and ignore the zone read play and he is just another 6'5" good athlete who is not an SEC level QB. He looks nothing like the Fitz of last year. I know short, butter fingered WR's only add to the problem.

WinningIsRelentless
10-14-2017, 08:50 PM
Fitz biggest issue right now is he is throwing off his back foot some and isn't getting on top of the ball and it is sailing on him.

Goldendawg
10-14-2017, 08:56 PM
Yeah, seems to be a pattern this year.

BrunswickDawg
10-14-2017, 09:15 PM
Something else to add - Dak was 5-4 as a Sophomore as the QB for the majority of the game (subtracting OSU, Arky, and OM games), and then 6-0 thru this point his Jr year for an 11-4 record. Fitz was 6-6 last year (discounting USA, because he was not the primary QB even though he started), 1-0 as a RFr (Troy), and 4-2 now for 11-8. If we win out - except Bama (which is doable)- and win a bowl, Fitz will be 16-8 vs. Dak 15-7 thru their JR years.

Goldendawg
10-14-2017, 09:18 PM
Statistics can say sometimes what you want them to say. Good stats vs. tough teams for both players or great stats against cupcakes? Not always apples to apples.

Jack Lambert
10-14-2017, 09:23 PM

Also Dak was a QB for four years in high school and Fitz was for one.

Todd4State
10-14-2017, 09:58 PM
My opinion is Fitz is a good QB who didn't have his best day today. I love Key but I don't think he's ready yet. I think a lot of it honestly is just the fact that our team right now isn't as good as Dak's teams and hasn't had a special run yet. I think some of that is being deflected onto Fitz. And I say that not knowing how the rest of the year plays out- if we go on a run then things could certainly change.

I think Fitz could really take off next year with better and bigger receivers, Dear, and an improved offensive line to go along with another offseason of development.

Coach34
10-14-2017, 10:11 PM

https://s1.postimg.org/2skhvsuwpr/2835874_D-0_F0_A-4_E76-9_C15-8221985_FC802.jpg

Bullshit stat

Dakota's first 13 games were spent playing spot duty as Tyler Russell's back-up- and only got the job due to injury.

Fitz only played in 6 games as Dak's back-up- from there he has been the starter

BeastMan
10-14-2017, 10:19 PM
Love Robbie but that’s a horrible stat. Compare first ____ starts. Dak played in 14 games until he started and then started 7 games where he shared snaps with TR. Then he missed 11 consecutive quarters of football before playing the 4th vs OM and the bowl vs Rice. Comparing statistics of a starting QB vs a non starting QB is apples to oranges.

Now the difference in Dak’s first full year as a starter vs Nick’s is that Dak was more experienced so Nick’s growing pains are more front and center. So still kind of apples to oranges.

The stat I like to point to the most in passer rating because it won’t allow us to cherry pick numbers that shouldn’t be compared. Dak’s soph year where he played a lot he had a passer rating of 126 which is close to the same as Nick’s as a soph (124). Now here’s the difference: Dak’s next year he jumped above 150 and was above 150 again as a senior. Nick’s was 115 going in to BYU (he had a 139 today). I’ll let y’all sell me that Nick’s passer rating is marginally down due to WRs. That’s fair. That still means we’re not seeing that big jump.

We need to stop comparing him to Dak and making excuses for what he’s not. I’m still holding out hope that we see that light come on at some point this year because next year is the year to make a big move.

Coach34
10-14-2017, 10:23 PM
Love Robbie but that’s a horrible stat. Compare first ____ starts. Dak played in 14 games until he started and then started 7 games where he shared snaps with TR. Then he missed 11 consecutive quarters of football before playing the 4th vs OM and the bowl vs Rice. Comparing statistics of a starting QB vs a non starting QB is apples to oranges.

Now the difference in Dak’s first full year as a starter vs Nick’s is that Dak was more experienced so Nick’s growing pains are more front and center. So still kind of apples to oranges.

The stat I like to point to the most in passer rating because it won’t allow us to cherry pick numbers that shouldn’t be compared. Dak’s soph year where he played a lot he had a passer rating of 126 which is close to the same as Nick’s as a soph (124). Now here’s the difference: Dak’s next year he jumped above 150 and was above 150 again as a senior. Nick’s was 115 going in to BYU (he had a 139 today). I’ll let y’all sell me that Nick’s passer rating is marginally down due to WRs. That’s fair. That still means we’re not seeing that big jump.

We need to stop comparing him to Dak and making excuses for what he’s not. I’m still holding out hope that we see that light come on at some point this year because next year is the year to make a big move.

very good post

msstate7
10-14-2017, 10:25 PM
Bullshit stat

Dakota's first 13 games were spent playing spot duty as Tyler Russell's back-up- and only got the job due to injury.

Fitz only played in 6 games as Dak's back-up- from there he has been the starter

Next thing you know Robbie will call dak a check down Charlie

Coach34
10-14-2017, 10:26 PM
Next thing you know Robbie will call dak a check down Charlie

he should because he is

Todd4State
10-14-2017, 10:27 PM
Love Robbie but that?s a horrible stat. Compare first ____ starts. Dak played in 14 games until he started and then started 7 games where he shared snaps with TR. Then he missed 11 consecutive quarters of football before playing the 4th vs OM and the bowl vs Rice. Comparing statistics of a starting QB vs a non starting QB is apples to oranges.

Now the difference in Dak?s first full year as a starter vs Nick?s is that Dak was more experienced so Nick?s growing pains are more front and center. So still kind of apples to oranges.

The stat I like to point to the most in passer rating because it won?t allow us to cherry pick numbers that shouldn?t be compared. Dak?s soph year where he played a lot he had a passer rating of 126 which is close to the same as Nick?s as a soph (124). Now here?s the difference: Dak?s next year he jumped above 150 and was above 150 again as a senior. Nick?s was 115 going in to BYU (he had a 139 today). I?ll let y?all sell me that Nick?s passer rating is marginally down due to WRs. That?s fair. That still means we?re not seeing that big jump.

We need to stop comparing him to Dak and making excuses for what he?s not. I?m still holding out hope that we see that light come on at some point this year because next year is the year to make a big move.

Rep given.

Todd4State
10-14-2017, 10:29 PM
he should because he is

Maybe it's Dan. I mean, chicks dig the checkdown before the Georgia game this year on Fitz's Twitter.

Unfortunately chicks still dig the longball.

msstate7
10-14-2017, 10:33 PM
he should because he is

Dak was #2 in sec in yds/attempt in 2014 and #3 in 2015

BrunswickDawg
10-14-2017, 10:33 PM
Beast - I get a lot of what you are saying, and a lot is right. But, I think what Robbie is trying to show is a legit comparison - where was Dak thru this point in his RJR year vs. where Fitz is at that same point. There are too many variables to look at in vs, number of starts because Fitz started more games as a Sophomore than Dak did. The flip of that is Dak got considerably more experience as a back up his Fr year than Fitz did. He?s not saying Fitz is better, or anything crazy. He?s simply saying the harsh criticism (the people calling for Key to start) are out of Line based on the actual stats.

Coach34
10-14-2017, 10:48 PM
Dak was #2 in sec in yds/attempt in 2014 and #3 in 2015

Dak had 2 of the SEC's best WR's in the those seasons- they were great on their YAC

Dak is not in the top half in the NFL on 20+ yard passing plays for his career

Todd4State
10-14-2017, 10:51 PM
Beast - I get a lot of what you are saying, and a lot is right. But, I think what Robbie is trying to show is a legit comparison - where was Dak thru this point in his RJR year vs. where Fitz is at that same point. There are too many variables to look at in vs, number of starts because Fitz started more games as a Sophomore than Dak did. The flip of that is Dak got considerably more experience as a back up his Fr year than Fitz did. He?s not saying Fitz is better, or anything crazy. He?s simply saying the harsh criticism (the people calling for Key to start) are out of Line based on the actual stats.

I don't get people wanting Key to start. I like him and I think he's going to be really good but watching him play this year I haven't seen anything from him that indicates that he would be a better option than Fitz. Heck to be honest Key would probably benefit from a redshirt year if possible next year.

BuckyIsAB****
10-14-2017, 10:54 PM

On worse teams than Dak had btw

chef dixon
10-15-2017, 12:30 AM
That stat is nice and all but just watch them play and it's very easy to tell, from a passing stand point, that Fitz is not in Dak's league. It also doesn't matter that "Fitz was only a QB for a year in HS" or whatever. Sorry but that's a knock on his potential, not a valid excuse. All I can say is if we went into Fitz senior year with Holloway and Shumpert as our primary backs like Dak did, I'm not sure I'd want to watch when we play offense.

Fitz is a pretty good player. He is what he is. Bottom line is you have to be able to throw the ball to beat the elite teams, and I don't think he will ever be that for us. Not a huge knock because Dak is the only QB we've ever had that even got close to doing that.

rcsteph1
10-15-2017, 01:27 AM

I'll be the first to say. .... I've been overly critical of Fitz. Touch

MarketingBully
10-15-2017, 06:52 AM
Look. People don’t want Key to start. They just wish that Fitz would continue to show improvement in two areas, 1) accuracy and 2) decision making/reads. His best game IMO was against LSU and he had almost a perfect game in decision making and he put the ball where it needed to be. The last three games he has regressed quite a bit in those areas. In order to beat Kentucky and A&M in the next two games we need him closer to how he played vs LSU and not how he played the last three games. He can be a great QB for us but he has to improve in the areas I mention above. We also need Mullen to call a gameplan like he did against LSU where we call the full running play playbook.

BrunswickDawg
10-15-2017, 08:38 AM
Look. People don?t want Key to start. They just wish that Fitz would continue to show improvement in two areas, 1) accuracy and 2) decision making/reads. His best game IMO was against LSU and he had almost a perfect game in decision making and he put the ball where it needed to be. The last three games he has regressed quite a bit in those areas. In order to beat Kentucky and A&M in the next two games we need him closer to how he played vs LSU and not how he played the last three games. He can be a great QB for us but he has to improve in the areas I mention above. We also need Mullen to call a gameplan like he did against LSU where we call the full running play playbook.

All solid points. However, if there weren?t people saying it somewhere (stands, tailgates, Twitter, or message boards) I doubt Robbie would have taken the time to scratch out the comparison on his phone. That was his image of the stats, not mine.

The craziest thing about this - is Dak is the only other MSU QB we can compare Fitz with because he he will pass everyone in school history. Let that sink in.

Pollodawg
10-15-2017, 08:41 AM

Hammer meet nail.

Red Sox Dawg
10-15-2017, 08:51 AM
Son and I sat through every play and have sunburned legs to prove it. Seems to me Dan is determined to make Fritz a pocket passer, (just like Dak's Sr year). Plays look like called QB runs or called hand offs to the RB. The big play, TD running machine that was Fitz the last part of last year running the read option is seldom seen. JMO, but the strongest part of Fitz's game is being held back. I think this is hurting our O, big time along with wide receiver problems. Thoughts?

I think Dan is trying to limit the punishment Fitz takes so we don?t have to start a True Freshman at QB against SEC teams.

BeastMan
10-15-2017, 09:52 AM
I think Dan is trying to limit the punishment Fitz takes so we don?t have to start a True Freshman at QB against SEC teams.

I think that’s a real good, often overlooked point.