PDA

View Full Version : UNC ruling come down

Hasu Dackds
10-13-2017, 09:14 AM
not sure what it means for Ole Miss. Seems like the lawyers muddied the waters and now the NCAA will have to close another loophole.

bostondawg
10-13-2017, 09:15 AM
Per the twitters. @ncaa

Interestingly, Sankey was head of this investigation committee.

And the ruling, at least on the surface of the tweet without digging in to the articles, is weird. Basically, unc invented fake classes but since everyone had access to them, it didn't selectively benefit the student-athletes.

So in short, the ncaa is saying that your university is a joke, but at least the entire thing is a joke, not just the part of it the student-athletes take part in.

Bully13
10-13-2017, 09:20 AM

msstate7
10-13-2017, 09:21 AM
The college president should be fired, if he/she hasn?t been already. That should embarrass the university

bostondawg
10-13-2017, 09:23 AM
If I'm an alum of unc I'm absolutely furious. This is a complete joke. UNC should lose some academic reputation over this.

PassInterference
10-13-2017, 09:24 AM
BREAKING: Coach Hev removed from the recruiting trail and replaced with Random Booster.

Political Hack
Not guilty. Wow.

bostondawg
Aside: I met a UNC alum the day after their natty in a lunch line near work. Was wearing a sweatshirt. Told him congrats on the win last night. And I made a joke, "so did you take the real of the fake classes down in Chapel Hill?" he was not happy at all.

confucius say
10-13-2017, 09:27 AM
Prob will lose some accreditation

msstate7
10-13-2017, 09:30 AM
You?ve heard the expression about the NCAA is so mad at Bama that they gave so-and-so the death penalty. I have no idea how true it is but I could see the NCAA saving face from today on OM

msstate7
10-13-2017, 09:32 AM

If true, then this wasn?t a win today imo

Homedawg
10-13-2017, 09:34 AM
not sure what it means for Ole Miss. Seems like the lawyers muddied the waters and now the NCAA will have to close another loophole.

The cases have absolutely nothing to do with one another. Not one thing. Not even close.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-13-2017, 09:35 AM
UNC imo shouldn't have been punished. This is a school problem not an athletic problem. This is a class that was offered to the entire school & wasn't started solely to benefit athletes. Athletes did benefit but no more than the regular Joe college. How do you punish an athletic team for taking the same cupcake class & getting A's as any other student?

Homedawg
10-13-2017, 09:35 AM

Already been dealt with. This is an old issue.

LC Dawg
10-13-2017, 09:37 AM
So UNC's defense to the NCAA is that they offer fake classes to all students, not just athletes. I understand the ruling but if I had a diploma from UNC hanging on the wall I think I would take it down.

Homedawg
10-13-2017, 09:40 AM
UNC imo shouldn't have been punished. This is a school problem not an athletic problem. This is a class that was offered to the entire school & wasn't started solely to benefit athletes. Athletes did benefit but no more than the regular Joe college. How do you punish an athletic team for taking the same cupcake class & getting A's as any other student?

This. All day.

Tripp McNeely
10-13-2017, 09:42 AM

Are the accusations against om and UNC even remotely similar?

Hasu Dackds
10-13-2017, 09:42 AM
I agree shouldn't this be an accreditation issue or something? Is there another governing body that presides over this? NCAA is athletics only.

Hasu Dackds
10-13-2017, 09:43 AM

I don't know, man, I didn't really read about UNC stuff until today. I just saw people on here saying it might be a primer for what Ole Miss will get. But after reading they don't really seem similar.

sandwolf
10-13-2017, 09:45 AM

No.

Tripp McNeely
10-13-2017, 09:49 AM
I don't know, man, I didn't really read about UNC stuff until today. I just saw people on here saying it might be a primer for what Ole Miss will get. But after reading they don't really seem similar.

It was rhetorical...they're not in the same universe

Ari Gold
10-13-2017, 09:59 AM
The best thing is now most OM fans will have hope that this is a great sign for them. Don't stop believing OM nation . Everything is going to be ok now..

Reason2succeed
10-13-2017, 10:27 AM
The NCAA takes yet another PR hit before ruling on OM. I thought that this would be a primer for the OM verdict. Instead the NCAA punted on this one likely because they know they have a home run (sorry to mix sports metaphors) in OM. OM has already admitted to infractions. If OM skates then blowup the entire NCAA infractions department.

Homedawg
10-13-2017, 10:27 AM
The best thing is now most OM fans will have hope that this is a great sign for them. Don't stop believing OM nation . Everything is going to be ok now..

This. The only people that think this makes ole miss safe are ole miss fans and people who never read the unc case. Not anywhere near apples to apples. Hell not even apples to oranges.

Political Hack
10-13-2017, 10:31 AM
So UNC's defense to the NCAA is that they offer fake classes to all students, not just athletes. I understand the ruling but if I had a diploma from UNC hanging on the wall I think I would take it down.

All incoming MSU students will now get a 1st day of school enrollment bonus of $5,000.***

confucius say
10-13-2017, 10:54 AM

Agreed. As long as unc takes the position that the classes were not fraud but, rather, just easy classes open to everybody. The take away is the NCAA is not getting in the business of overruling/second guessing its member schools with respect to certain classes approved by the school are valid. If it did, it would open up Pandora's box.

But, if everybody agrees that the classes did amount to fraud that benefitted both student athletes and other students, then I disagree. You can absolutely punish the school for academic fraud that benefitted athletes, regardless of whether others benefited also.

confucius say
10-13-2017, 10:54 AM
Already been dealt with. This is an old issue.

What happened?

10-13-2017, 11:00 AM
What happened?

https://alumni.unc.edu/news/sacs-restores-unc-to-full-accreditation/

confucius say
10-13-2017, 11:07 AM
https://alumni.unc.edu/news/sacs-restores-unc-to-full-accreditation/

Yea I read that to say the classes were just easy and not up to standards. Not academic fraud.

msbulldog
10-13-2017, 11:32 AM
I agree shouldn't this be an accreditation issue or something? Is there another governing body that presides over this? NCAA is athletics only.

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools' Commission on Colleges has placed the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill on a year-long probationary period ? the harshest sanction before revocation of accreditation.Jun 11, 2015

Commercecomet24
10-13-2017, 12:42 PM

You are correct, sir!

Mimi's Babies
10-13-2017, 12:56 PM

No sir, the issues are as far different as the East is from the West.

BrunswickDawg
10-13-2017, 12:59 PM
This was a bad case all the way around. It's akin to a prosecutor who bows to outside pressure and tries to make a flimsy case stick, then gets waxed in court by the defense. That's why you saw the charges taken out of the 2nd NOA. Because of the high profile school and the media frenzy surrounding it, I think they were forced to add the charges back in to NOA #3.

It actually is similar to the Gilliard case - a benefit that was available to all students was taken advantage of. To me, the COI actually shows some advancement in common sense with their findings. Yes, athletes took this class in droves, but it was available to everyone. It's not like UGA basketball a few years ago where Harrick's son taught the class on coaching basketball and no one knew it existed. How many of you were really happy when you walked into your US History 101 class and saw that half of it were football players? It meant that the prof had a rep for being a reasonably easy class. You hated walking into the class labelled "staff" and finding out that the most ruthless prof in the department taught it - then scrambled to find a different class that fit your schedule before the drop/add date because you knew that class was a guaranteed D. Is it really very different from that?

jumbo
10-13-2017, 01:04 PM
not sure what it means for Ole Miss.

not much really.

BayouDawg
10-13-2017, 01:05 PM
Basically this wasn't even in the NCAA's jurisdiction. It is an accreditation issue. They were placed on probabtion by their accreditation board for a couple of years. Like Home Dawg said it's an old issue that's already been dealt with.
Ole miss was falsifying ACT scores specifically for athletes. That is squarely in the jurisdiction of the NCAA.

confucius say
10-13-2017, 01:12 PM
Basically this wasn't even in the NCAA's jurisdiction. It is an accreditation issue. They were placed on probabtion by their accreditation board for a couple of years. Like Home Dawg said it's an old issue that's already been dealt with.
Ole miss was falsifying ACT scores specifically for athletes. That is squarely in the jurisdiction of the NCAA.

Not as an extra benefits case. The case should have been made as an academic fraud case, not benefits. Sankey said as much today. There was nothing in the record regarding the academic fraud details and discrepancies and thus the COI couldn't have drilled down on that issue even if it had wanted to.

BayouDawg
10-13-2017, 01:14 PM
Not as an extra benefits case. The case should have been made as an academic fraud case, not benefits. Sankey said as much today. There was nothing in the record regarding the academic fraud details and discrepancies and thus the COI couldn't have drilled down on that issue even if it had wanted to.

So basically UNC lawyers > landshart lawyers

ElitedawgRecruiting
10-13-2017, 02:05 PM
One HUGE difference. UNC was transparent. Worked with the ncaa to make this happen. Didn’t say screw your we are better than you. Ole Miss is getting hammered. Hard. Don’t let this fool you. This doesn’t help them in any way

dawgday166
10-13-2017, 02:14 PM
The HUGE difference is this ... Roy Williams.

AND UNC is a perennial power in men's hoops and just won a Natty.

redstickdawg
10-13-2017, 02:21 PM
The HUGE difference is this ... Roy Williams.

No, the huge difference is that a huge percentage of the NCAA revenue comes from March madness and they are not going to go after one of their fair headed favorites. This may be why the aau swamp has gotten so corrupt, the NCAA was afraid of killing their money source. it has become such a big issue that the FBI has taken over and will be driving the ship from now on. Sankey punted and set the ncaa's death spiral in motion. this opens the door for rampant phony courses and other shady dealings (for the BB big boys) that are now certified as above board by today's announcement.

dawgday166
10-13-2017, 02:25 PM
No, the huge difference is that a huge percentage of the NCAA revenue comes from March madness and they are not going to go after one of their fair headed favorites. This may be why the aau swamp has gotten so corrupt, the NCAA was afraid of killing their money source. it has become such a big issue that the FBI has taken over and will be driving the ship from now on. Sankey punted and set the ncaa's death spiral in motion. this opens the door for rampant phony courses and other shady dealings (for the BB big boys) that are now certified as above board by today's announcement.

Ain't that what I said more or less in 1 sentence. UNC, KY, Duke ... they like Saban and Bama. NCAA ain't messing with none of them. Pitino would still be good if he hadn't kept stepping on his dick. An Lville - KY rivalry is good for men's hoops.