PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss Coaching Search

Spiderman
10-12-2017, 09:08 PM
I see the Land That Forgot time is still in Cloud Coo-Coo Land.

I see the names of Leach, Strong, Frost, Petino, Miles.

I also see that they say they can pay $5million and get somebody like that.

Here is reality and precedent........

Anybody worth paying $5 million to, is not taking that job.

Why would a good, sane, coach leave where they are at ( which , if they are worth $5 million, must be a winning program), or not wait until a stable, bigger job opens?

Answer, they won't.

Georgia, South Carolina, LSU, Mizzou, and Florida have all opened up in the last couple of years.

Who did they get?

A DC, a DC who was a failed head coach at a top 10 job, a DL coach who is also a failed HC, another DC, and a 1 year HC at a non Power Five.

AND....... they weren't looking down the barrel of the NCAA's loaded gun.

Now let's look at OM's last 13 (13!!!!!) coaches since Vaught got "heart trouble" aka intergration, (and lived damn near 40 more years).......

1) A hand picked assistant and former player
2) Vaught again for a year
3) Another staff member promoted
4) The only outlier in all 12 coaches was next, an up in comer who was at a power 5 (who promptly went 20-34-1 and left for to take the HC job at DUKE!!!)
6) A non power 5 HC who was also an alum,
7) A DC who served as interim
8) A DC
9) An OC
10) A DL coach
11) A burned out retread HC who had just been fired
12) Another non power 5 HC with 1 year of experience who grew up 1 hour away from the OM campus and had a taste to play for play, in more ways than one
13) An OL coach who is a 2nd generation player alum.

See a pattern?

What in the world, especially with an NCAA kick to the ass coming, makes you think you will make a better hire than you have in the past?

Sorry to inject some sanity, but it won't be better, it most likely will be worse, or what you already have in place.

So yeah, you can play $5 million, but if you pay that to what you have always historically hired, y'all are crazier than I even think you are.

But hey, you did make McGriff a millionaire before he had ever called a defense in his life.

Get damn real.

Edited to add...I think realistically , they will hire in the same pattern. I think the main candidates are Hud, Wilson, Hopson, Brown, and Holtz

Commercecomet24
10-12-2017, 09:11 PM
But they have the grove and the most beautiful campus*****

Harrydawg
10-12-2017, 09:17 PM
Pay Strong $5M.

That would make a lot of sense.........

Tripp McNeely
10-12-2017, 09:41 PM
Who is the 2017 John L. Smith (the Arkansas version)? That's the level of hire they will be making.

confucius say
10-12-2017, 09:43 PM
They should hire bill Clark at uab if he'd take it.

Political Hack
10-12-2017, 10:07 PM
Pay Strong $5M.

That might be a decent fit actually. They need someone who needs to rescue their career. That's the only way they get a big names. Hell, hire Butch Jones. They aren't going to do any better.

confucius say
10-12-2017, 10:10 PM
Please hire butch jones. Please.

Commercecomet24
10-12-2017, 10:18 PM
Please hire butch jones. Please.

Talk about a clown show. That would be awesome!

DownwardDawg
10-12-2017, 10:51 PM
That might be a decent fit actually. They need someone who needs to rescue their career. That's the only way they get a big names. Hell, hire Butch Jones. They aren't going to do any better.

Have you ever seen Charlie Strong? A decent fit? This is ole miss we're talking about.

Spiderman
10-12-2017, 11:09 PM

Strong ain't going to OM unless he's sure they will get the Croom deal from the NCAA, plus $5million, and a $20 million buyout. And if they give Strong that, I'm gonna laugh my ass off.

The perfect fit for OM is Kiffin. Never have a school and a coach been one and the same. He's the most arrogant prick in football, so he would be a god there.
I don't think even he is crazy enough to take it.

Again, I think Hud, Hopson, Wilson, Brown, and Holtz, or someone similar, or a fired HC that feels all he needs is a good 4 ear payday to retire on

yjnkdawg
10-13-2017, 12:33 AM
Strong ain't going to OM unless he's sure they will get the Croom deal from the NCAA, plus $5million, and a $20 million buyout. And if they give Strong that, I'm gonna laugh my ass off.

The perfect fit for OM is Kiffin. Never have a school and a coach been one and the same. He's the most arrogant prick in football, so he would be a god there.

Again, I think Hud, Hopson, Wilson, Brown, and Holtz, or someone similar, or a fired HC that feels all he needs is a good 4 ear payday to retire on

NCAA would probably move their office to The Grove if Kiffin some how was hired. In my opinion, Hopson appears to be the logical choice of those mentioned for the salary increase, coaching in the SEC, and his ties to OM.

Todd4State
10-13-2017, 01:10 AM

They're not going to hire Kiffen or anyone else with any potential history with the NCAA. Plus, Lane might not want to go there after his brother's career is ruined. That will probably be why they won't hire Hud either thanks to their boy David Saunders. I can't see Wilson, Brown, Holtz, or Strong or anyone with any other potentially better options going there.

Hopson- maybe. I still think Jack Bicknell might get it. He used to coach at La Tech and has been out of coaching for a few years until Ole Miss hired him to be their o-line coach. They're going to suck even if they hire Bill Bellicheck- a guy that is retread football coach just looking for something to do to be around the game is probably their best choice or an alum like Hopson.

msbulldog
10-13-2017, 06:05 AM
Pay Strong $5M.

Strong's already been there, he won't go back.

BrunswickDawg
10-13-2017, 07:05 AM
I think some are missing the point. Between probations over the years, the Confederate symbolism issues, the facilities, meddling boosters, and the history of never being able to recruit well cleanly - Ole Miss has never been able to attract a name coach. Even when they were in their best hiring positions ever - after Tubs and after Cut they couldn?t get name coaches.

Absolutely no way they get one now.

Political Hack
10-13-2017, 07:57 AM
Kiffin isn't going to Ole Miss. Its a death trap for anyone wanting to be a legitimate head coach in college football.

Ole Miss may as well lay $5 million to strong. They're not going to win in the SEC West for the next 5-10 years. At least they can try to rescue their image somewhat.

Todd4State
10-13-2017, 08:08 AM
Kiffin isn't going to Ole Miss. Its a death trap for anyone wanting to be a legitimate head coach in college football.

Ole Miss may as well lay $5 million to strong. They're not going to win in the SEC West for the next 5-10 years. At least they can try to rescue their image somewhat.

Why on Earth would Strong or Holtz for that matter go there even for 5 million? If they want a Croom coach for perception purposes it's probably going to be someone more like a Wesley McGriff than a Strong.

Spiderman
10-13-2017, 08:23 AM
I think some are missing the point. Between probations over the years, the Confederate symbolism issues, the facilities, meddling boosters, and the history of never being able to recruit well cleanly - Ole Miss has never been able to attract a name coach. Even when they were in their best hiring positions ever - after Tubs and after Cut they couldn?t get name coaches.

Absolutely no way they get one now.

Yes, that is the gist of my original post. But as usual.........

BrunswickDawg
10-13-2017, 08:39 AM
Yes, that is the gist of my original post. But as usual.........

Some people went to the Jerrell Powe school of reading comprehension....

Political Hack
10-13-2017, 08:42 AM
Why on Earth would Strong or Holtz for that matter go there even for 5 million? If they want a Croom coach for perception purposes it's probably going to be someone more like a Wesley McGriff than a Strong.

I'm not confident he'd take it either.

MedDawg
10-13-2017, 09:20 AM
Have you ever seen Charlie Strong? A decent fit? This is ole miss we're talking about.

Have they ever seen Charlie Strong and his wife? I mean, I don't have any problem with it and would be proud to have Strong as our coach (not over Mullen, of course). However, a lot of OM fans would have a problem with it.