PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about the SEC in 2023.

Todd4State
10-12-2017, 01:13 AM
Because why not?

I think we are primed to potentially go on one of if not our best run in football between now and the next few years. Jackie's run during the Joe Lee Dunn era- 1996-2001 was great and arguably our best in modern times. Dan has us in a lot better shape than Jackie did and we appear to be more consistently built for the long term.

SEC West

Ole Miss- Will be a smoking hull and will be lucky to even have a team.

Alabama- How long will Saban be around? He will be in his early 70's by 2023. What are his long term goals? He may have more National Titles than Bear Bryant at that point. By that point in his career his opponents are going to start to use his age against him in recruiting. Does he go back to the NFL to prove that he can succeed there as a coach like Pete Carroll? at any rate, Alabama is going to help us out a lot- which is fair since Croom helped end the Mike Shula era for them. He has run off so many coaches- except for Dan- that it actually helps us out in the long run as well because our fans and administration aren't impulsive by nature.

Auburn- Bipolar program. One year they're a National Championship contender the next they're 3-9. Dan has had some pretty decent success against them especially since 2012.

LSU- O-Bation. They'll be out of it by then, but what are the odds they hire another Saban? Better odds that they hire Gerry DiNardo and Dan doesn't have the LSU mental block that Jackie had and he doesn't have to deal with the fallout from when LSU was National Title contender anymore.

Arkansas- Tough place to win despite having a good history. I think Bielema will be there for another couple of years due to his contract and after that all bets are off. Hopefully they don't hire another Petrino without the baggage.

Texas A&M- Sumlin has actually been their best football hire for all the deserved grief he gets. Could be scary if they actually hire someone that is good.

And then the SEC East

Tennessee- They're sort of like the blue blood version of Arkansas. I'm not sure that they will ever be as good as they want to be because of their recruiting base. And they have a history of making bad coaching decisions.

Florida- They're pretty inconsistent and it just depends on who their coach is. Let's hope Stricklin hire the Rick Ray version of a football coach for them once McElwain leaves.

Georgia- Looks like they are in great shape with Smart for the foreseeable future. I hate that Richt doesn't get to enjoy the spoils of their winning this year.

South Carolina- Similar to us. They can be an 8-10 win team with a good coach and they seem to be more patient with their coaches than other SEC teams.

Kentucky- They have the potential to be an 8-10 win program like us but they more things going against them- their fans support for basketball, Louisville being a very good ACC program, not an elite area for football talent.

Mizzou- Similar to Kentucky but their fans do not put the emphasis on football like other schools and they suffer some from that despite having some success at times. They're a Big 12/Big 10 team in the SEC and it just doesn't feel like they fit in.

Vanderbilt- Most difficult place to win at in the SEC although Franklin and now Mason are showing that it can be done. 8 wins is probably always going to be their ceiling for the most part.

WPS
10-12-2017, 12:58 PM
I think Bielema will be there for another couple of years due to his contract and after that all bets are off.

After this came out this morning in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, I think he's gone after this year.

Bielema’s actual buyout is determined by a formula included within the language of his original deal, which was made effective Dec. 4, 2012, and signed the next August.

It uses the $15.4 million figure as a numerator and divides that by the total number of months (97) in the full term of his contract. That figure of $158,762.88, called the “monthly value of the total guaranty payment,” would then be multiplied by the remaining number of months on the contract, which runs through Dec. 31, 2020.

Based on that equation, Arkansas would owe Bielema about $5.874 million to terminate his contract after the season concludes Nov. 24, plus a prorated amount for any partial months of employment.

dawgday166
10-12-2017, 02:20 PM
We'll be 6-6 to 8-4, maybe an outside shot at 9-3.

bostondawg
10-12-2017, 02:39 PM
After this came out this morning in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, I think he's gone after this year.

Yep. Lots of people are shocked to learn that his adjusted buyout based on an equation is less than 6, not the 15mil that the absolute number is. He may be gone after this season. Who could they hire though?

Agreed. This is a good post by Todd, in that it outlines how trash the rest of the SEC will be. But MSU will still need to do some things if we want to rise from the smoldering ashes. Recruiting consistently inside the top 20, for example.

dawgday166
10-12-2017, 02:43 PM
Agreed. This is a good post by Todd, in that it outlines how trash the rest of the SEC will be. But MSU will still need to do some things if we want to rise from the smoldering ashes. Recruiting consistently inside the top 20, for example.

Every year there are 3 sometimes 4 pretty strong SEC teams. Mullen and his offense struggle to score points on those teams. And then there are the ~2 games a year the whole team isn't prepared to play.

Maybe this will change, but I ain't counting on it.

TrapGame
10-12-2017, 03:29 PM

Recruiting at a higher level the next five years can bring us to a lot more 9-3 seasons than 8-4. Mullen must use the om fiasco to recruit some multiple top 15 classes.

Reason2succeed
10-12-2017, 03:37 PM
By 2023 we will either all be in self driving flying cars that run on renewable energy and there will be world peace or there will be a dystopian wasteland left from nuclear war started by an erratic orange man.

Oh, my bad you are talking about football.

MSU just needs to stay on the path of steady progress. Hopefully by then Mullen will have kicked Hev to the curb and OL recruiting will be decent. We will benefit from being the only SEC team in MS since OM got the DP and kicked out of the conference in 2018. We will average 9-10 wins a year. Saban will clone himself so that he can continue to coach forever. Vandy will dominate the SEC East for a decade.

TrapGame
10-12-2017, 03:45 PM
By 2023 we will either all be in self driving flying cars that run on renewable energy and there will be world peace or there will be a dystopian wasteland left from nuclear war started by an erratic orange man.

Oh, my bad you are talking about football.

MSU just needs to stay on the path of steady progress. Hopefully by then Mullen will have kicked Hev to the curb and OL recruiting will be decent. We will benefit from being the only SEC team in MS since OM got the DP and kicked out of the conference in 2018. We will average 9-10 wins a year. Saban will clone himself so that he can continue to coach forever. Vandy will dominate the SEC East for a decade.

Welcome to Starkville, 2023

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/de/52/8a/de528a294974eef004693ac2693191b6--futuristic-art-futuristic-architecture.jpg

iPat09
10-12-2017, 03:57 PM
Welcome to Starkville, 2023

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/de/52/8a/de528a294974eef004693ac2693191b6--futuristic-art-futuristic-architecture.jpg

And just like that, the alumni building fits in perfectly.

Reason2succeed
10-12-2017, 04:56 PM
If a safety hits a RB with their jet pack engaged does that count as targeting?!?

TUSK
10-12-2017, 07:20 PM
If a safety hits a RB with their jet pack engaged does that count as targeting?!?

if said safety is wearing this:

http://2f13yq12csmv2yraq925m73i-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Screen-Shot-2015-12-06-at-1.24.42-PM.png

No.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-13-2017, 06:17 AM
Yep and if Mullen is still here, OL and WR will still not be SEC level.

Todd4State
10-13-2017, 08:11 AM
Yep and if Mullen is still here, OL and WR will still not be SEC level.

Disagree IF we start closing out our classes like we might this year.