PDA

View Full Version : NCAA BB & FBI investigation plot thickens...

Perpetual Underachiever
10-11-2017, 01:25 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/report-new-york-grand-jury-sends-subpoena-to-oklahoma-state-requesting-documents/

Dolphus Raymond
10-11-2017, 01:54 PM
Burn college basketball to the ground and start over.

Bully13
10-11-2017, 04:56 PM
to me, a coach taking a "finders fee" for directing an athlete to a certain financial planner is not as bad as a clothing apparel company paying a kid to go to a certain school and wear their gear.

TimberBeast
10-11-2017, 08:16 PM
to me, a coach taking a "finders fee" for directing an athlete to a certain financial planner is not as bad as a clothing apparel company paying a kid to go to a certain school and wear their gear.

To me it's much worse, a coach taking money to steer a kid anywhere is as bad as it gets, simply because it's a coach.

Maroonthirteen
10-11-2017, 08:27 PM
A subpoena doesn't "essentially guarantee" more arrest will be made. It does mean the FBI is still gathering evidence. Against whom isn't clear from the article. Maybe they are gathering more evidence on the osu guy they already arrested in case he wants to go to trial.

Gosh I can't stand Parrish. Such a DB.

The Federalist Engineer
10-11-2017, 08:53 PM
An AAU pimp I met in Jackson, MS told me all about this 5 years ago...but the punchline was that big name and untouchable people like Coach K actually run the show. The AAU pimp told me that Coach K is the Pablo Escobar/George Soros/Sith managing the entire slimy system

Ifyouonlyknew
10-11-2017, 09:12 PM
I don't understand why people think Coach K is so above this type of stuff. He's no different than Cal. Only difference is Cal doesn't mind telling you the truth why K hides behind this college basketball is pure facade.

MarketingBully
10-11-2017, 11:16 PM
I don't understand why people think Coach K is so above this type of stuff. He's no different than Cal. Only difference is Cal doesn't mind telling you the truth why K hides behind this college basketball is pure facade.

Coach K started getting involved with the one and done dance about five years ago I think. Cal tells you about it because he’s the one who basically started it all with WWW as his pimp. His sliminess helped bring down Pitino and could bring down others like Coach K and Williams. They all danced the dance just to try to stay competitive.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-12-2017, 07:39 AM
Coach K started getting involved with the one and done dance about five years ago I think. Cal tells you about it because he’s the one who basically started it all with WWW as his pimp. His sliminess helped bring down Pitino and could bring down others like Coach K and Williams. They all danced the dance just to try to stay competitive.

He didn't start anything. How can he start what the NBA implimented? He just was the 1st to embrace it & for some reason fans didn't want the truth about the process. Cal didn't bring down Pitino or anybody. You're giving him way too much credit & it's just not true.

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-12-2017, 08:09 AM
Here's a question I've been thinking about without being able to answer. With all of the fallout that is going on with college basketball, how does this affect Miss. State and specifically our recruiting going forward. And I'm sure some will read something into that, that I'm not implying. We have been very successful with Howland gaining the commitments from a lot of 4 stars with a few 5's thrown in, mainly from legacies.

We've been very successful to this point, so does this fallout help us to recruit even better and start getting the elite of the elite, do we take a step back and not recruit quit as well, or do we stay the same?

Leeshouldveflanked
10-12-2017, 08:22 AM
Feds don't care who you are unless your last name is Clinton.

Dolphus Raymond
10-12-2017, 08:25 AM

?

Offshore Dawg
10-12-2017, 08:30 AM

They get away with everything. The whole world knows this unless you are a suck ass liberal.

MarketingBully
10-12-2017, 08:32 AM
Here's a question I've been thinking about without being able to answer. With all of the fallout that is going on with college basketball, how does this affect Miss. State and specifically our recruiting going forward. And I'm sure some will read something into that, that I'm not implying. We have been very successful with Howland gaining the commitments from a lot of 4 stars with a few 5's thrown in, mainly from legacies.

We've been very successful to this point, so does this fallout help us to recruit even better and start getting the elite of the elite, do we take a step back and not recruit quit as well, or do we stay the same?

I think we stay the same. I think where we will get a push in recruiting is if we can get players like Peters, Nick W, and Perry in the league. If we can get those guys in the NBA as first round draft picks, you will see an even bigger uptick in our recruiting. I don’t think the FBI probe will have an effect on our recruiting.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-12-2017, 08:32 AM

I don't see our recruiting changing. We've recruited well but we won't have a shot at elite non legacy/tie in kids until we start winning big.

MarketingBully
10-12-2017, 08:40 AM
He didn't start anything. How can he start what the NBA implimented? He just was the 1st to embrace it & for some reason fans didn't want the truth about the process. Cal didn't bring down Pitino or anybody. You're giving him way too much credit & it's just not true.

He has benefited the most from shoe companies steering recruits to his schools he has been a coach of from his days at Memphis to his days at Kentucky. He certainly laid out the blueprint of exactly what we are seeing now and what the FBI wants stopped. Nike paid Anthony Davis’ family $200k to go to Kentucky back in 2010. The Chicago Tribune even had an expose on it but they have done it dozens of times over the years there. If I was the FBI, I would focus on World Wide Wes. Not only was he long time employee of Nike but also an agent and the slimeball was able to actively recruit for Calipari at Nike events while the NCAA wouldn’t do anything about it.

MarketingBully
10-12-2017, 08:42 AM
I don't see our recruiting changing. We've recruited well but we won't have a shot at elite non legacy/tie in kids until we start winning big.

Win big and getting players to the NBA like Peters, Nick W, and Perry.

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-12-2017, 08:43 AM
IYOK...I guess we don't really know how many we can sign this year until we see if any jump to NBA or have any attrition, so how do we go about recruiting when we're in a situation like this? I think we have a couple open spots now, but I guess that could go to as many as 3,4 or 5 depending on how things shake out.

How do you recruit in this type situation when you have anywhere from say 2-5 spots that may or may not be there next summer? I know we can fill those spots later on in the process, but how do you keep 4-5 star types to stay interested in your program knowing a spot may not be there in the end?

AROB44
10-12-2017, 08:46 AM
Does everything have to turn into something political?

The Federalist Engineer
10-12-2017, 09:00 AM
They get away with everything. The whole world knows this unless you are a suck ass liberal.

Not talking politics, just MSU. When I was a student the CIA and NSA came to campus to recruit. They had the entire Lee Hall auditorium packed with kids ready to go fight bad guys...

They made it clear they did not want any of the motivated kids. They wanted to talk about vacation days, work life balance, and roll-over vacation days. All the "Americans" in the room just looked at each other with acknowledgement they were listening to a bunch of soulless bureaucrats. Military service and multiple languages were NOT a plus

They wanted flabby, braindead, drones, that would obsess about vacation time and office dimensions.

This Happened! At Lee Hall at MSU in the 1990's

Ifyouonlyknew
10-12-2017, 09:13 AM
He has benefited the most from shoe companies steering recruits to his schools he has been a coach of from his days at Memphis to his days at Kentucky. He certainly laid out the blueprint of exactly what we are seeing now and what the FBI wants stopped. Nike paid Anthony Davis’ family $200k to go to Kentucky back in 2010. The Chicago Tribune even had an expose on it but they have done it dozens of times over the years there. If I was the FBI, I would focus on World Wide Wes. Not only was he long time employee of Nike but also an agent and the slimeball was able to actively recruit for Calipari at Nike events while the NCAA wouldn’t do anything about it.

If you think paying players started with Cal then you're wrong. If you think wasn't paying the Grant Hill's & Elton Brand's then I have some oceanfront property in Idaho for you. Sonny Vaccarro & others were using shoe companies to get kids to schools 15-20yrs ago.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-12-2017, 09:14 AM
IYOK...I guess we don't really know how many we can sign this year until we see if any jump to NBA or have any attrition, so how do we go about recruiting when we're in a situation like this? I think we have a couple open spots now, but I guess that could go to as many as 3,4 or 5 depending on how things shake out.

How do you recruit in this type situation when you have anywhere from say 2-5 spots that may or may not be there next summer? I know we can fill those spots later on in the process, but how do you keep 4-5 star types to stay interested in your program knowing a spot may not be there in the end?

We have 2 open scholarships. We'll sign 3 guys because in all likelihood Lamar goes pro after this year. We will sign a 4th in the spring if we have someone transfer.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-12-2017, 09:15 AM
Win big and getting players to the NBA like Peters, Nick W, and Perry.

That will help but we still won't beat out the blue bloods for the truly elite. We would start getting a couple more of the guys ranked in the 25-50 range. Which is the next step for us.

Bully13
10-12-2017, 09:21 AM
This really does suck for schools like us. Why is the FBI not going after the shoe companies? are they? to me, they are the ones that should be in the biggest trouble. not some asst coach who steers a player to a particular financial planner.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-12-2017, 09:22 AM
That will help but we still won't beat out the blue bloods for the truly elite. We would start getting a couple more of the guys ranked in the 25-50 range. Which is the next step for us.

I'd be more than satisfied with 25-50 range.

MarketingBully
10-12-2017, 09:24 AM
If you think paying players started with Cal then you're wrong. If you think wasn't paying the Grant Hill's & Elton Brand's then I have some oceanfront property in Idaho for you. Sonny Vaccarro & others were using shoe companies to get kids to schools 15-20yrs ago.

Oh I agree regarding Vaccarro. That slimeball was interviewed by Bob Lee after the FBI scandal broke. I kind of just laughed to myself as that would be like interviewing Al Capone after the FBI busted Mickey Cohen.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-12-2017, 09:31 AM
Oh I agree regarding Vaccarro. That slimeball was interviewed by Bob Lee after the FBI scandal broke. I kind of just laughed to myself as that would be like interviewing Al Capone after the FBI busted Mickey Cohen.

What Cal did 1st & continues to do is not lie to kids or fans about the most important goal being college. He lets you know the goal is the NBA & getting you there as quick as possible. People have a problem with that & rather hear K or Self or whoever lie about the importance of college. These kids are 9 month rentals until the draft. Cal doesn't shy or away or hide that & people can't handle that truth. He didn't make the 1 & done or shoe companies he just was the 1st to publically embrace it & its paid off. Hate or love him I respect his honesty. Especially when every other major coach is doing the same.

Dolphus Raymond
10-12-2017, 09:35 AM
A thread discussing widespread corruption in college basketball morphs into a right-wing political rant. Incredible.

MarketingBully
10-12-2017, 11:12 AM
What Cal did 1st & continues to do is not lie to kids or fans about the most important goal being college. He lets you know the goal is the NBA & getting you there as quick as possible. People have a problem with that & rather hear K or Self or whoever lie about the importance of college. These kids are 9 month rentals until the draft. Cal doesn't shy or away or hide that & people can't handle that truth. He didn't make the 1 & done or shoe companies he just was the 1st to publically embrace it & its paid off. Hate or love him I respect his honesty. Especially when every other major coach is doing the same.

I don’t have a problem with that. I have a problem with what he knows goes on behind the scenes. He allows himself to be used by Nike/WWW who have bought several of his players to steer his way. Does he really think when he tells WWW I want this guy that it is just based on WWW’s powers of persuasion that he gets those players? He’s a big part of the problem and the FBI just lets him sleeze his way on by.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-12-2017, 11:50 AM
I don’t have a problem with that. I have a problem with what he knows goes on behind the scenes. He allows himself to be used by Nike/WWW who have bought several of his players to steer his way. Does he really think when he tells WWW I want this guy that it is just based on WWW’s powers of persuasion that he gets those players? He’s a big part of the problem and the FBI just lets him sleeze his way on by.

You say all of that like the other coaches aren't doing the exact same thing. That isn't a Cal deal it's a college basketball deal.

dawgs
10-12-2017, 11:54 AM
Not talking politics, just MSU. When I was a student the CIA and NSA came to campus to recruit. They had the entire Lee Hall auditorium packed with kids ready to go fight bad guys...

They made it clear they did not want any of the motivated kids. They wanted to talk about vacation days, work life balance, and roll-over vacation days. All the "Americans" in the room just looked at each other with acknowledgement they were listening to a bunch of soulless bureaucrats. Military service and multiple languages were NOT a plus

They wanted flabby, braindead, drones, that would obsess about vacation time and office dimensions.

This Happened! At Lee Hall at MSU in the 1990's

Probably because they don?t want/need overly emotional types coming in trying to operate the CIA like a cowboy in an old west saloon. They want people who are smart, think before acting, and when they do act it?s calm, cool, and collected. Folks that show up ?to get bad guys? with their American flag shirt probably aren?t the type of agents they want running covert operations.

lefty96
10-12-2017, 01:40 PM
Does everything have to turn into something political?

Boy, you sure sound like a liberal or a conservative.

CadaverDawg
10-12-2017, 01:52 PM
Ok I'll say what many reading are thinking....are we going to survive this FBI deal?

Yes, we have been signing studs with ties to MS, but I've spent the last 3+ years knowing OM was guilty as sin while several of theirs had ties (not all, but some). So I can't be hypocritical and say I'm not a little nervous about it.

Political Hack
10-12-2017, 02:18 PM
Ok I'll say what many reading are thinking....are we going to survive this FBI deal?

Yes, we have been signing studs with ties to MS, but I've spent the last 3+ years knowing OM was guilty as sin while several of theirs had ties (not all, but some). So I can't be hypocritical and say I'm not a little nervous about it.

I think that's fair. Anyone who has recruited well as of late should be nervous. That's my general impression. I also think the NCAA should be nervous. This might be their end as well.

CadaverDawg
10-12-2017, 02:24 PM
I think that's fair. Anyone who has recruited well as of late should be nervous. That's my general impression. I also think the NCAA should be nervous. This might be their end as well.

Good point. Also, I would think a team that hasn't won shit in hoops in years wouldn't be a high priority. Maybe our recent suckage will actually help us for once

Ifyouonlyknew
10-12-2017, 02:32 PM
I'm not really nervous. Not that i won't feel better when it's over & we're still good. I know the staff & admin aren't worried right now. I'll also say that if we couldn't pull the big name recruits we signed without our "in house" recruiting we deserved to get popped. None of the guys we've signed we needed Adidas help or were those potential 1 & done type guys except for Malik. And again if we needed someone outside of the MSU "umbrella" to sign Malik we deserve what we get.

BrunswickDawg
10-12-2017, 02:58 PM
Probably because they don?t want/need overly emotional types coming in trying to operate the CIA like a cowboy in an old west saloon. They want people who are smart, think before acting, and when they do act it?s calm, cool, and collected. Folks that show up ?to get bad guys? with their American flag shirt probably aren?t the type of agents they want running covert operations.

The majority of CIA and NSA positions are analysts. All they do is sort data, write algorithms, or produce reports. Who better than flabby, braindead drones. They leave the Spy vs. Spy stuff to the contractors.

MarketingBully
10-12-2017, 03:03 PM
I'm not really nervous. Not that i won't feel better when it's over & we're still good. I know the staff & admin aren't worried right now. I'll also say that if we couldn't pull the big name recruits we signed without our "in house" recruiting we deserved to get popped. None of the guys we've signed we needed Adidas help or were those potential 1 & done type guys except for Malik. And again if we needed someone outside of the MSU "umbrella" to sign Malik we deserve what we get.

Agreed. And with the hypersensitivity of our compliance department, I’d say we are in about as great a shape as any of the other schools that weren’t named in this mess.

MarketingBully
10-12-2017, 03:05 PM

There is a huge hell of a difference between how our compliance department and their compliance department operates.

dawgs
10-12-2017, 03:13 PM
The majority of CIA and NSA positions are analysts. All they do is sort data, write algorithms, or produce reports. Who better than flabby, braindead drones. They leave the Spy vs. Spy stuff to the contractors.

Even contracted spies aren’t gonna be the fired to get bad guys type bros that are more apt to make a bad decision in the moment instead of being calm, cool, and collected.

Bully13
10-12-2017, 04:29 PM
I just read one of the arrests was an Addidas exec. good. to me, they are the problem. if a player signs with you because he got paid by Addidas, what did the school do wrong? I'm sure they know what's up, but what did the school specifically do wrong in a case like that? the coaches that got arrested, were they not all due to steering players to financial advisers for "finder fees"?

Now if the coach was in contact with Addidas being informed of what Addidas was going to do, then that's a different story. So what if any of the players involved with getting paid by Addidas are still on college rosters? wouldn't they be ineligible?

dawgs
10-12-2017, 05:28 PM
I just read one of the arrests was an Addidas exec. good. to me, they are the problem. if a player signs with you because he got paid by Addidas, what did the school do wrong? I'm sure they know what's up, but what did the school specifically do wrong in a case like that? the coaches that got arrested, were they not all due to steering players to financial advisers for "finder fees"?

Now if the coach was in contact with Addidas being informed of what Addidas was going to do, then that's a different story. So what if any of the players involved with getting paid by Addidas are still on college rosters? wouldn't they be ineligible?

By your logic schools shouldn’t get in trouble when agents or boosters are the ones providing benefits but they clearly do and should.

As for “finder’s fees”, the problem probably arises in the roles that the coaches are playing in steering kids to certain advisers. Also, the coaches are being paid up front (and then funneling some of that money to the players) to direct players to certain advisers, not paid after the fact for steering a player to a certain adviser. So it’s not actually a finder’s fee and is more of a “use your influence in an 18 year old’s life to try to get him to sign with me” fee. And in financial situations, I’m not sure what is a legal or illegal finder’s fee. I’m sure someone could dig through the laws, but I’m guessing if the fbi is making arrests, they have violated (or potentially violated) laws regarding finding fees and financial advisers.

MCsMGs
10-12-2017, 07:38 PM
The laws that are likely to be broken in these cases are SEC laws regarding who and how a financial advisor can be compensated. And I'm not talking about the Southeastern Conference, but the Securities and Exchange Commission. Those are Federal laws and would explain why the FBI could/would get involved.