PDA

View Full Version : Interesting hotel happening

RocketDawg
10-08-2017, 05:27 PM
When I made reservations for home games, I made them all for Saturday nights in Columbus. When the BYU game was announced to be at 11:00, I called the hotel to move my reservation from Saturday night to Friday night. The girl who answered said they were booked up, but they showed some rooms available but she couldn't book those because they were locked out. Even the national reservation office couldn't book them ... only the hotel manager.

I'm not sure why, but apparently they hold a few rooms for last minute booking by the manager. The very nice young lady talked to the manager and he agreed to book the room ... for $389 + tax. My Saturday night reservation cost was $152, and I'm pretty sure that included taxes.

I declined as a matter of principle ... decided just to leave at 6 or so Saturday morning, then drive home after the game. Just seemed like highway robbery to me.

maroonmania
10-08-2017, 05:30 PM
Have you tried other hotels in Columbus? I would think others would have some Friday openings. Surely they aren't all gouging like that.

RocketDawg
10-08-2017, 05:39 PM
Have you tried other hotels in Columbus? I would think others would have some Friday openings. Surely they aren't all gouging like that.

No but I probably will. Can almost always get a room at the Quality but that's not the most desirable place to stay.

dmdezigns
10-08-2017, 05:56 PM
Most of the hotels are 2 night minimums for football weekends. Although a lot of times you can get just a single night last minute. $389 is really high for Columbus though. Was that the Courtyard? I can't see paying that in Columbus.

RocketDawg
10-08-2017, 06:00 PM
Most of the hotels are 2 night minimums for football weekends. Although a lot of times you can get just a single night last minute. $389 is really high for Columbus though. Was that the Courtyard? I can't see paying that in Columbus.

Not sure they have a two night minimum anymore since they've built so many hotels lately. I know they did when there was just the Fairfield and Courtyard, but now there are two more nice ones at that location plus the Hyatt. I normally stay at the Hyatt ... nice place and only requires one night (so far). It's a little bit out of the way but I like it.