PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Off Week Edition

Coach34
10-08-2017, 10:05 AM
1. Looks like Rankin will be out at least for BYU- maybe longer. Having the off week plus BYU coming out of it is huge for us. Allows us time to get whomever in there for 2 weeks reps and then they aren't facing an SEC DL out the chute. I think it's Eiland if they think Rankin is out short term. If they are thinking long term- you would almost have to see Jenkins at LT. Something to watch Saturday.

2. Funny watching all these Landshark fans trying to convince themselves that winning the 2nd half vs Auburn is something to build on. A few State fans tried that in 2016. Good luck Landsharks- you simply arent very good. Offense is one-dimensional and the D is awful. Somebody stole that defensive playbook that stops all offenses.

3. I dont like Kentucky and A&M getting off weeks before playing us. Thats also something to watch. Both teams will be tough outs moving forward. I like to think we are better than Kentucky plus at home- but nothing will surprise me this season. Our offense isnt explosive and that hurts.

4. I hate you Bama. Top recruiting class after top recruiting class. It's killing college football and particularly- the SEC

5. Missouri needs to move to the Big 12

6. McElwain better get some offense by next season or the BullGators will run him off.

7. LSU is not struggling because O is their coach- they are struggling because they lack experienced OL players and WR's- plus defensive injuries. Big difference in their D yesterday with some new blood on the field. If O is still struggling in Year 3- then it's O.

8. I hope Auburn beats Georgia to create one helluva an Iron Bowl.

9. Boom has SC improving- great win yesterday. Looks like he is a better fit in SC than Fla. SC people love him right now

10. Bert- not so much. I dont see him getting run off this year- but they better make a little noise next year or they will calling more than the Hogs in Arkansas.

11. Vandy tried to out schedule State for the toughest 3 week run? Bama, @Florida, Georgia. Go have some fun at The Groooooove this week Dores.

12. Bama is killing the SEC

13. Important 4 weeks for us. Got to get these next 2 to get some momentum heading to College Station. Will set up another big game with some national excitement if A&M can beat Fla in the Swamp Saturday. Both teams will be 5-2 coming in.

14. Does Butch save his job with the run he has coming up? SC, @Bama, @ Kentucky. This 3 game stretch decides his fate I believe. Anything less than 2-1 and he is gone.

HailState

msstate7
10-08-2017, 10:12 AM
8. I?ll be fine with either team winning that auburn Georgia game bc it will set up a huge show down with Bama either way.

You were right on Georgia

HoopsDawg
10-08-2017, 10:35 AM
It's so frustrating with our WR situation that we only managed to sign Austin Williams last year. That's just a horrible job by the staff.

Dawgface
10-08-2017, 10:40 AM
+1 on 4 & 12.

Quaoarsking
10-08-2017, 10:54 AM
Tennessee is probably going to go 8-4 for the third straight year. That'll be their best 3-year stretch since 2002-04. I don't think Butch is a great coach or anything, but their fans have some unrealistic expectations.

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2017, 10:57 AM
1. Looks like Rankin will be out at least for BYU- maybe longer. Having the off week plus BYU coming out of it is huge for us. Allows us time to get whomever in there for 2 weeks reps and then they aren't facing an SEC DL out the chute. I think it's Eiland if they think Rankin is out short term. If they are thinking long term- you would almost have to see Jenkins at LT. Something to watch Saturday.

2. Funny watching all these Landshark fans trying to convince themselves that winning the 2nd half vs Auburn is something to build on. A few State fans tried that in 2016. Good luck Landsharks- you simply arent very good. Offense is one-dimensional and the D is awful. Somebody stole that defensive playbook that stops all offenses.

3. I dont like Kentucky and A&M getting off weeks before playing us. Thats also something to watch. Both teams will be tough outs moving forward. I like to think we are better than Kentucky plus at home- but nothing will surprise me this season. Our offense isnt explosive and that hurts.

4. I hate you Bama. Top recruiting class after top recruiting class. It's killing college football and particularly- the SEC

6. McElwain better get some offense by next season or the BullGators will run him off.

7. LSU is not struggling because O is their coach- they are struggling because they lack experienced OL players and WR's- plus defensive injuries. Big difference in their D yesterday with some new blood on the field. If O is still struggling in Year 3- then it's O.

9. Boom has SC improving- great win yesterday. Looks like he is a better fit in SC than Fla. SC people love him right now

10. Bert- not so much. I dont see him getting run off this year- but they better make a little noise next year or they will calling more than the Hogs in Arkansas.

11. Vandy tried to out schedule State for the toughest 3 week run? Bama, @Florida, Georgia. Go have some fun at The Groooooove this week Dores.

13. Important 4 weeks for us. Got to get these next 2 to get some momentum heading to College Station. Will set up another big game with some national excitement if A&M can beat Fla in the Swamp Saturday. Both teams will be 5-2 coming in.

14. Does Butch save his job with the run he has coming up? SC, @Bama, @ Kentucky. This 3 game stretch decides his fate I believe. Anything less than 2-1 and he is gone.

HailState

7. LSU has recruited better than us and Troy so players aren’t an excuse just like when we lost to South Alabama.

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2017, 11:00 AM

HailState

Bama is killing college football in general. Having 5 or so teams that might win the National title makes it a lot more boring.

Bully13
10-08-2017, 11:05 AM
Based on resumes year to date, I'm having a hard time wondering why people are worrying about the KY & AR games. I know most anybody can beat most anybody on any given Sat, but I think the worrying is uncalled for at this point. Of course I'll be more or less confident depending on how we perform against BYU.

Coach34
10-08-2017, 11:10 AM
7. LSU has recruited better than us and Troy so players aren’t an excuse just like when we lost to South Alabama.

not when those players aren't on the field and you have freshmen playing Jr's and Sr's

HoopsDawg
10-08-2017, 11:14 AM
Bama is killing college football in general. Having 5 or so teams that might win the National title makes it a lot more boring.

It's always been that way.

BuckyIsAB****
10-08-2017, 11:14 AM

HailState

3. Kentucky is bad

parabrave
10-08-2017, 11:16 AM
Try explaining 7 to the corndogs. They don't want O. But they are stuck with them for at least 2 more years. Noticed yesterday they started moving away from that Miles hand off to the RB every play offense.

Sacrifice
10-08-2017, 11:18 AM
#2 Watching OM play football feels like Christmas morning every Saturday.

msstate7
10-08-2017, 11:19 AM
not when those players aren't on the field and you have freshmen playing Jr's and Sr's

Making excuses for LSU now... smh

Dawgology
10-08-2017, 11:32 AM
+1 on 4 & 12.

I said this 2 years ago and was told I was crazy by this board. Now I MAY actually be crazy but you could see this coming a mile away. Basically, to win an SEC championship or play in one of the big bowls you have to have a perfect season. You have to beat Bama and you can’t drop any other SEC game or Bama will jump you.

Kind of takes the fun out of it all.

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2017, 11:38 AM

So us having freshmen on OL and WR is the same only our freshmen aren’t as talented.

Coach34
10-08-2017, 11:57 AM
So us having freshmen on OL and WR is the same only our freshmen aren’t as talented.

LSU starts 3 freshman on the OL- we start 1. We don't start any freshman at WR

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2017, 12:08 PM

Both our tackles are freshmen now and that is a lot tougher position to play than guard unless they move some guys around so Eiland doesn’t play. Other than Gray our WRs aren’t very experienced either. It is just funny that you will make excuses for LSU but not State. Still comes down to LSU has more talent everywhere but QB.

Coach34
10-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Making excuses for LSU now... smh

No excuses- just facts. Their isn't loaded with draft picks as they have been in the past

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2017, 12:59 PM
No excuses- just facts. Their isn't loaded with draft picks as they have been in the past

Their worst recruiting class in the last 5 years is 7th by 247. Tell me how they are talent deficient? Other than they can't develop a QB, they should have more talent at every position.

Coursesuper
10-08-2017, 01:08 PM
Is there a fix for the great divide that is happening in college football? How do we compete at get highest level, will UNM's journey through the valley of death afford us the opportunity to amass enough talent to compete?

maroonmania
10-08-2017, 02:05 PM
It's so frustrating with our WR situation that we only managed to sign Austin Williams last year. That's just a horrible job by the staff.

WR recruiting and to a lesser extent OL recruiting is why we still can't play with the elite teams of the league. When you play the top teams you can't just keep putting your defense right back on the field over and over without possessing the ball. And our running game against these type teams would be so much better if there was at least a threat in our passing game to keep them honest but there's not.

Turfdawg67
10-08-2017, 03:01 PM

Please... for love of God. Let it go already.

Hasu Dackds
10-08-2017, 03:02 PM
Their worst recruiting class in the last 5 years is 7th by 247. Tell me how they are talent deficient? Other than they can't develop a QB, they should have more talent at every position.

Because rankings aren't the end-all-be-all, good players are good players no matter what 247 says. I know they are the best we got but shit they still are batting at about a 60% clip

maroonmania
10-08-2017, 03:47 PM

Boy, what I wouldn't give to have some freshmen WRs that could play.

maroonmania
10-08-2017, 03:50 PM
Please... for love of God. Let it go already.

Why let it go? Its the biggest problem with our football team. Because we have no WR threats its becoming even difficult to run the ball because the line is stacked.

Coach34
10-08-2017, 05:34 PM
Both our tackles are freshmen now and that is a lot tougher position to play than guard unless they move some guys around so Eiland doesn’t play. Other than Gray our WRs aren’t very experienced either. It is just funny that you will make excuses for LSU but not State. Still comes down to LSU has more talent everywhere but QB.

Charles was having to play LT yesterday for LSU because of injuries. True freshman- not redshirt like Eiland. And Charles played Academy ball last year and is having to adjust to the highest level of trench warfare in college football.

Mixon is in his 3rd year
Myles is a 5th year guy
Jackson is a 4th year guy.
Jordan Thomas is a Sr
Aeris is a 4th year player
D. Thomas is in his 3rd year

We arent inexperienced. We have a bunch of guys that have been competing vs SEC players for 3 or more years. We are a completely veteran team

Coach34
10-08-2017, 05:37 PM

I'm not talking recruiting rankings- I'm talking players on the field. LSU didnt have more talent than us on the field when we played them

missouridawg
10-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Butch lost to UGA and UF. He will get blasted at Bama. He could go 9-3 and I still think they?d fire him.

Coach34
10-08-2017, 06:18 PM
Butch lost to UGA and UF. He will get blasted at Bama. He could go 9-3 and I still think they?d fire him.

Gonna cost them about $13MM to make that happen this year

Quaoarsking
10-08-2017, 06:52 PM
I'm not talking recruiting rankings- I'm talking players on the field. LSU didnt have more talent than us on the field when we played them

After 3+ weeks, I believe this is Coach34's first acknowledgement of our win over LSU.

But sure enough, it's no big deal that we beat them because we have more talent.

Coach34
10-08-2017, 07:08 PM
It's always good to beat LSU. Always a good win when we do it

I'm arguing with the people saying they are struggling because of Orgeron. Much like when I defended Kirby Smart- sometimes its the talent on the field holding coaches back. When you look at LSU on the field- nobody with football knowledge sees them as a top 5 SEC talented football team. That's my point. I feel the draft the next couple of years will bear that out.

It's up to O to recruit more trench guys and other talent to get back where they need to be. I feel like we will be just as talented as they are next year also

msstate7
10-08-2017, 07:11 PM
It's always good to beat LSU. Always a good win when we do it

I'm arguing with the people saying they are struggling because of Orgeron. Much like when I defended Kirby Smart- sometimes its the talent on the field holding coaches back. When you look at LSU on the field- nobody with football knowledge sees them as a top 5 SEC talented football team. That's my point. I feel the draft the next couple of years will bear that out.

It's up to O to recruit more trench guys and other talent to get back where they need to be. I feel like we will be just as talented as they are next year also

What does this say about your boy, McE, who you have praised all along?

Coach34
10-08-2017, 07:14 PM
Mac is in Year 3- they should be better offensively than they are. No excuses. But it is weird they have lost their starting QB every year he has been there

somebodyshotmypaw
10-08-2017, 07:44 PM
Mac is in Year 3- they should be better offensively than they are. No excuses. But it is weird they have lost their starting QB every year he has been there

And that's huge. Imagine us losing Fitz or Ole Miss losing Shea.

And QB is a big LSU problem. Their worst job of recruiting and developing has been at the most important position on the field.

msstate7
10-08-2017, 07:54 PM
And that's huge. Imagine us losing Fitz or Ole Miss losing Shea.

And QB is a big LSU problem. Their worst job of recruiting and developing has been at the most important position on the field.

Franks played in game 1 vs Michigan and the entire tenn game before del rio got his first action vs Kentucky.

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2017, 09:40 PM

Just looked at LSU depth chart and it shows 1 senior, 3 juniors, and 1 freshman starting on the Oline. They do have several freshmen on the 2 deep. Their defense is at least as experienced as ours. Their RBs are very experienced. Their WRs are 2 seniors and a sophomore. I don't see how we have more experience and talent than them. It seems that it was purely out coaching and we wanted it more.

Commercecomet24
10-08-2017, 09:43 PM
Just looked at LSU depth chart and it shows 1 senior, 3 juniors, and 1 freshman starting on the Oline. They do have several freshmen on the 2 deep. Their defense is at least as experienced as ours. Their RBs are very experienced. Their WRs are 2 seniors and a sophomore. I don't see how we have more experience and talent than them. It seems that it was purely out coaching and we wanted it more.

Interesting find there, Tbone.

Coach34
10-08-2017, 09:51 PM

LSU was playing 3 freshmen on their OL Saturday vs Florida. Thats a fact. aGAIN- Calhoun is better than Charles- and name two of their OL guys better than Rankin and Jenkins? I'm waiting

Their Sr WR's are not getting drafted and have 58 career receptions between them- and that includes their 20+ this season.

That was my whole point- What they put on the field is not more talented than we are

msstate7
10-08-2017, 09:55 PM
LSU was playing 3 freshmen on their OL Saturday vs Florida. Thats a fact. aGAIN- Calhoun is better than Charles- and name two of their OL guys better than Rankin and Jenkins? I'm waiting

Their Sr WR's are not getting drafted and have 58 career receptions between them- and that includes their 20+ this season.

That was my whole point- What they put on the field is not more talented than we are

Why were you so high on them preseason then?

Coach34
10-08-2017, 09:57 PM
Nobody watched LSU- Fla Saturday and said- "ya know- both those teams are more talented than Miss State".

They arent

Dawg61
10-08-2017, 10:09 PM
Dormandy sucks. I think UT goes 0-3 and they fire Butch.

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2017, 10:25 PM

Name one WR on our entire team that might get drafted. You are also saying they had 3 freshmen playing at once. Well we have 2 that might be starting if Rankin can't go at both tackles. I am sure we had 2 freshmen and maybe a sophomore playing at AU. We might develop guys but their floors are a lot higher. There is a reason that those same recruiting classes were getting Miles 8-11 wins every year. The talent didn't all leave with Les.

Quaoarsking
10-08-2017, 10:44 PM
Nobody watched LSU- Fla Saturday and said- "ya know- both those teams are more talented than Miss State".

They arent

And yet you think we'll struggle to beat a team at home that Florida beat on the road.

justwin
10-08-2017, 11:41 PM
C34, what players should be playing more than they are?

Commercecomet24
10-08-2017, 11:44 PM
And yet you think we'll struggle to beat a team at home that Florida beat on the road.

Things that make you go, hmmmmmm!

Maroonthirteen
10-09-2017, 06:40 AM
The Arkansas fans want Beliema gone. A Saturday night call show that I heard was venomous. Host and callers. Beliema is fired if they don't turn the season around.

Hasu Dackds
10-09-2017, 09:30 AM
The Arkansas fans want Beliema gone. A Saturday night call show that I heard was venomous. Host and callers. Beliema is fired if they don't turn the season around.

No he's not, he has a huge buyout just like Orgeron. I don't care what the fans say.

TrapGame
10-09-2017, 10:03 AM
LSU stuck with O. Arky stuck with Fat Bert. OM just plain stuck. Sumlin and his bipolar coaching.

There's an opportunity for Dan to jump this program to the next level.

Hasu Dackds
10-09-2017, 10:07 AM
LSU stuck with O. Arky stuck with Fat Bert. OM just plain stuck. Sumlin and his bipolar coaching.

There's an opportunity for Dan to jump this program to the next level.

It's all about what we do on the recruiting trail. And that appears to be going very very well. Of course winning now will also help that effort, going 9-3 or so with a win over Ole Miss would have us ready to explode going into next year.

Tbonewannabe
10-09-2017, 10:57 AM
It's all about what we do on the recruiting trail. And that appears to be going very very well. Of course winning now will also help that effort, going 9-3 or so with a win over Ole Miss would have us ready to explode going into next year.

Yes, we are finally cranking up our recruiting to hopefully match our development. Looking at it, I wonder how much of the improvement is related to Dan getting better recruiters and how much is affected by UM not paying players to not visit.

Hasu Dackds
10-09-2017, 11:31 AM
Yes, we are finally cranking up our recruiting to hopefully match our development. Looking at it, I wonder how much of the improvement is related to Dan getting better recruiters and how much is affected by UM not paying players to not visit.
Both. Can't be overstated how big of a thorn in our side their shady tactics have been over the years.

WPS
10-10-2017, 03:46 PM
No he's not, he has a huge buyout just like Orgeron. I don't care what the fans say.

The hope is that it can be renegotiated. If not, him and Long could both be gone. It's probably about to get really ugly between the big money and the administration.

The buyout goes down to $11 million in January. It would suck to fire him a month from signing day but we're only signing 15 this class and most of them are early enrollees.

If we offer it as a lump sum instead of spread out over 4 years he may take a lowered amount. Depends whether he feels it's worth raising a new daughter in a place that's becoming hostile toward you.