PDA

View Full Version : Basketball

msstate7
10-08-2017, 08:20 AM
Saw this on 247...

https://mississippistate.247sports.com/Bolt/Eli-Wright-Abdul-Ado-Highlight-MSUs-1st-Basketball-Scrimmage-108566905

It?s almost here, boys. I?m really excited about this year?s team. I think we take a big step forward.

MarketingBully
10-08-2017, 08:38 AM
Ado had 17 points/7 boards/2 blocks but just as exciting was Herard’s 17 as well. If both those players give us great production, we will be in great shape.

Ezsoil
10-08-2017, 09:53 AM
My dog tag shows the tickets have been printed ..any word on when they will be shipped? Also does anyone know how the tickets for the double header will be handled? Will we get the seats that we have for our season tickets ?

CovertDawg
10-08-2017, 11:28 AM
Was flipping through some of the preseason basketball magazines at the supermarket yesterday. One of them, I believe it was Lindy's, has us finishing 7th in the SEC and making the NCAA tournament . I am excited about this team as I think Ado and Nick Weatherspoon are going to help take our defense and overall tenacity to the next level

Madisonmd
10-08-2017, 12:34 PM
Ado is critical to this team's chances.

Madisonmd
10-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Interesting, Eli Wright was top scorer in the scrimmage.

MarketingBully
10-08-2017, 01:04 PM
Interesting, Eli Wright was top scorer in the scrimmage.

He really worked hard in the offseason and Howland has been very high on him. He will get a lot of minutes this year at the 2-3 positions.

Madisonmd
10-08-2017, 01:26 PM
backcourt shaping up to be pretty strong

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-08-2017, 01:26 PM
Schedule will hurt us. We could win 25 and still not make Tourney. I do think we will upset some teams this year.

Political Hack
10-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Schedule will hurt us. We could win 25 and still not make Tourney. I do think we will upset some teams this year.

We need some big, signature wins in conference or we'll end up an 8/9 seed.

HoopsDawg
10-08-2017, 02:34 PM

The schedule is an embarrassment. Sounds like we are going to go small a decent amount of the time with X at the 4. I like it b/c we have 6 very good guards.

MarketingBully
10-08-2017, 03:48 PM

If we win 25, I’m not going to complain one bit.

Howboutdemdogs
10-08-2017, 05:02 PM
When do tickets get mailed out?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-08-2017, 05:05 PM
If we win 25, I?m not going to complain one bit.

Me either! That will be a huge improvement!!

Liverpooldawg
10-08-2017, 05:31 PM
Hopefully this will be the year we finally get back to where we were. I'm still not sure about the inside game though.

MaroonFlounder
10-08-2017, 05:36 PM
Gregg Ellis just replied to VP Pence about leaving the Colts game early. I wish the staff and admins for our sports programs would stay out of politics on Twitter. Derek Cody does enough damage to cover all the stupidity for everyone associated with the university.

Dawg61
10-08-2017, 06:42 PM
EJ Datcher getting some praise from Howland, nice!

msstate7
10-08-2017, 06:45 PM
EJ Datcher getting some praise from Howland, nice!

I thought he looked like a worthwhile project last season. Hopefully the praise from Howland is real and not just encouraging him

MarketingBully
10-08-2017, 06:57 PM
I thought he looked like a worthwhile project last season. Hopefully the praise from Howland is real and not just encouraging him

I’ve never seen Howland so giddy. It’s really making me excited for this season.

MCsMGs
10-08-2017, 07:48 PM

EJ must have spent a lot of time in gym over the off season. He looks like a beast!

Feazell looks good too, but even with Ado and the improvement of all the bigs, the coaches seem to be most excited to play a 4 guard line up.

MCsMGs
10-08-2017, 09:29 PM
My dog tag shows the tickets have been printed ..any word on when they will be shipped? Also does anyone know how the tickets for the double header will be handled? Will we get the seats that we have for our season tickets ?

Tickets for the season opener/double header are not included in the season ticket. Tickets for that night must be purchased separately.

MarketingBully
10-08-2017, 11:33 PM
We need some big, signature wins in conference or we'll end up an 8/9 seed.

I?ll take an 8/9 seed. If you beat the one seed in the second round, you can get good matchups in later rounds.

smootness
10-09-2017, 08:43 AM
I?ll take an 8/9 seed. If you beat the one seed in the second round, you can get good matchups in later rounds.

Seriously. An 8/9 seed in the Tourney would be a huge win for this program.

smootness
10-09-2017, 08:55 AM
Also, we should prepare for another transfer or two after this season. It's just going to be really tough to get everybody the kind of minutes they want.

You figure Peters and Q should and will be on the floor for a large majority of the game; I'm guessing both will get roughly 30 minutes a night. Then you have Wright who has come on strong, Nick Weatherspoon who figures to play a lot...and then you have Tyson Carter you've got to try to get in there. And I think Stapleton will play a lot as well, though apparently some at the 4. But that also creates a (good) problem, where you now have Holman, Herard, and Ado who all are going to want to, and probably deserve, good minutes. And Datcher, who Howland seems to like.

It definitely is a good problem, but my guess is that a couple guys will end up being sort of nudged out of the main rotation.

Dawg61
10-09-2017, 09:00 AM
SEC basketball is going to be the deepest it's been in a long time imo. I don't see 1 clear favorite I see 12 teams at bubble level or above. LSU and Ole Miss I think are the bottom two teams. Everyone else is in a dogfight for NCAA bids this year.

drummerdawg
10-09-2017, 09:20 AM
SEC basketball is going to be the deepest it's been in a long time imo. I don't see 1 clear favorite I see 12 teams at bubble level or above. LSU and Ole Miss I think are the bottom two teams. Everyone else is in a dogfight for NCAA bids this year.

Idk how they'll do this year, but om probably has the most talented team they've had since Kennedy has been there.

smootness
10-09-2017, 10:01 AM
Idk how they'll do this year, but om probably has the most talented team they've had since Kennedy has been there.

? Based on what, exactly? Shuler is one of the better recruits they've had in a while, but he's not an instant-impact difference maker. Terence Davis is pretty darn good, he's their best player. Burnett's good, but he's a volume shooter. Tyree is decent but not a good shooter at all. Losing Saiz and Neal will be a pretty big blow to them. Bruce Stevens may be alright, but I doubt he's anything special. They won't be that good this year and certainly should be at least bottom half of the league.

msstate7
10-09-2017, 10:06 AM
? Based on what, exactly? Shuler is one of the better recruits they've had in a while, but he's not an instant-impact difference maker. Terence Davis is pretty darn good, he's their best player. Burnett's good, but he's a volume shooter. Tyree is decent but not a good shooter at all. Losing Saiz and Neal will be a pretty big blow to them. Bruce Stevens may be alright, but I doubt he's anything special. They won't be that good this year and certainly should be at least bottom half of the league.

Pretty sure OLEJNICZAK (copy and pasted name haha) is expected to be a pretty good big.

smootness
10-09-2017, 10:09 AM

South Carolina won't be good. Tennessee won't, either. And I seriously doubt UGA will be fighting for an NCAA bid, even with Maten. And we'll see on Missouri; even with that freshman class, I'm skeptical it will all come together quickly.

Also, the trouble at Auburn could spill over and make them toxic.

smootness
10-09-2017, 10:10 AM
Pretty sure OLEJNICZAK (copy and pasted name haha) is expected to be a pretty good big.

He's a transfer from Drake who was pretty good as a freshman...that's all we know.

Dawg61
10-09-2017, 10:11 AM

Ok I'll take your word for it. Make that 13 bubble or above teams and 1 shitty one (LSU). SEC is going to be wild this year.

Dawg61
10-09-2017, 10:20 AM
USCe just went to the final four so even with a huge drop-off that still puts them at bubble level/nit level. I will give Frank Martin the benefit of the doubt he can field a bubble team after taking South Carolina to a final four. I was really impressed with Barnes and UT last year. I thought they were going to be terrible but they are a really scrappy tough team. They rebounded very well for a team that had like one guy above 6'7 on the roster. Bone and Williams are all-SEC talents.

smootness
10-09-2017, 10:39 AM
USCe just went to the final four so even with a huge drop-off that still puts them at bubble level/nit level. I will give Frank Martin the benefit of the doubt he can field a bubble team after taking South Carolina to a final four. I was really impressed with Barnes and UT last year. I thought they were going to be terrible but they are a really scrappy tough team. They rebounded very well for a team that had like one guy above 6'7 on the roster. Bone and Williams are all-SEC talents.

That doesn't really make sense. Last year has nothing to do with this year. Martin has had two decent/good teams in 5 years at SC, and everything has been a crescendo built largely on the backs of Thornwell, Notice, and Dozier, and they're all gone. And even still, only one of those 2 teams made it into the Tournament and regardless of the Tourney run, they were a 7 seed. They don't have a lot of talent, and now they also have this whole FBI deal going on. They're not going to be a good team.

I may be too bearish on UT, but while they might be scrappy, they also were nothing more than mediocre last year and lost their best player. I'll be shocked if they're a bubble team this year.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-09-2017, 10:46 AM
Ado had 17 points/7 boards/2 blocks but just as exciting was Herard?s 17 as well. If both those players give us great production, we will be in great shape.

....it was a scrimmage. Remember last year when we swept in Italy? I am not saying we will not be improved but basing season optimism on a scrimmage seems odd.

Dawg61
10-09-2017, 11:13 AM
That doesn't really make sense. Last year has nothing to do with this year. Martin has had two decent/good teams in 5 years at SC, and everything has been a crescendo built largely on the backs of Thornwell, Notice, and Dozier, and they're all gone. And even still, only one of those 2 teams made it into the Tournament and regardless of the Tourney run, they were a 7 seed. They don't have a lot of talent, and now they also have this whole FBI deal going on. They're not going to be a good team.

I may be too bearish on UT, but while they might be scrappy, they also were nothing more than mediocre last year and lost their best player. I'll be shocked if they're a bubble team this year.

You and I have two different views on how good a bubble team/NIT team is I think. I think you view it as a better team than I do. I'll word it like this. I think 13 of the 14 SEC teams are capable of finishing at least 9-9 in the SEC this year. I think LSU is the only team that clearly is shitty enough to not finish at least .500 in the SEC.

smootness
10-09-2017, 12:40 PM
You and I have two different views on how good a bubble team/NIT team is I think. I think you view it as a better team than I do. I'll word it like this. I think 13 of the 14 SEC teams are capable of finishing at least 9-9 in the SEC this year. I think LSU is the only team that clearly is shitty enough to not finish at least .500 in the SEC.

Well, if you're including NIT teams in it, then sure. But a large majority of the NIT teams are not true bubble teams, and we were talking about bubble teams. I view a bubble team as just that...on the bubble of making the NCAA Tournament.

Vanderbilt was a bit of a strange case last year, and they got in at 10-8, but the other 4 teams were 12-6 or better. Tennessee, as an example, went 8-10 and was 16-16 overall. They would have to be significantly better to even get on the bubble.

Dawg61
10-09-2017, 02:19 PM
Well, if you're including NIT teams in it, then sure. But a large majority of the NIT teams are not true bubble teams, and we were talking about bubble teams. I view a bubble team as just that...on the bubble of making the NCAA Tournament.

Vanderbilt was a bit of a strange case last year, and they got in at 10-8, but the other 4 teams were 12-6 or better. Tennessee, as an example, went 8-10 and was 16-16 overall. They would have to be significantly better to even get on the bubble.

NIT has become a nice tournament lately. 1/3 to 1/2 the field are "bubble" teams. My bubble is much larger than yours.

smootness
10-09-2017, 02:51 PM
NIT has become a nice tournament lately. 1/3 to 1/2 the field are "bubble" teams. My bubble is much larger than yours.

Evidently.

I view a bubble team as a team with a resume basically good enough to be in the NCAA Tournament. All can't make it, which is why some on the bubble get in and some don't. But I certainly don't consider a team that had no real chance to make the NCAA Tournament to be a bubble team.

RocketDawg
10-09-2017, 03:03 PM

I'll give you a rep if you can pronounce that.

Perpetual Underachiever
10-09-2017, 03:10 PM
Seriously. An 8/9 seed in the Tourney would be a huge win for this program.

Agreed. Any appearance in the tourney would be a huge win for the program this year.

Dawg61
10-09-2017, 03:36 PM
Evidently.

I view a bubble team as a team with a resume basically good enough to be in the NCAA Tournament. All can't make it, which is why some on the bubble get in and some don't. But I certainly don't consider a team that had no real chance to make the NCAA Tournament to be a bubble team.

You like your bubble and I like mine. A team with a good enough resume to be in the NCAA tourney is a "tourney" team to me. A bubble team is shitting bricks during selection Sunday and that means half of the NIT field. Who cares. I will be happy if we are a "bubble" team this year. Your definition or mine.

MarketingBully
10-09-2017, 04:25 PM

I heard from some OM insiders that he?s not as great as they thought he?d be and has struggled so far this year in adjusting. Their frontcourt is going to be trash but they have a great backcourt. They?ll finish middle of the pack and probably make the NIT because that?s what Kennedy has done his entire tenure there.

KentuckyDawg13
10-10-2017, 08:50 AM
Pronounced oh-la-knee-check.

I'll give you a rep if you can pronounce that.

KentuckyDawg13
10-10-2017, 09:23 AM
They have several Euro players, along with some JC guys.