PDA

View Full Version : We're headed for 8 wins with a little luck..

AlmostPositive
10-07-2017, 06:29 PM
Being several notches below AU and GA is no great shame it seems. They are both top ten teams.

ARK is wretched, KY is nothing special, OM will be underground by Thanksgiving.

A&M.....Who knows? I imagine they'll be favored at home, but we will probably be playing against underdogs in every other non-Bama game.

Better than we thought 6 weeks ago, less than we hoped three weeks ago.

I'll take it.

RocketDawg
10-07-2017, 06:33 PM
I don't think A&M will be a gimme by a long shot.

It's most likely meaningless, but they just took a 3-0 lead on Bama, and Bama went three and out on their first possession.

Coach34
10-07-2017, 06:36 PM
Being without Rankin awhile is going to hurt us

Quaoarsking
10-07-2017, 06:42 PM
Being without Rankin awhile is going to hurt us

Theoretically, but the only game that's going to be close from here on out is A&M. 8-4/9-3 depending on how that one goes.

Coach34
10-07-2017, 06:47 PM
Theoretically, but the only game that's going to be close from here on out is A&M. 8-4/9-3 depending on how that one goes.

What? Kentucky will be a 3-4 point game either way. We will have trouble blocking them- or anybody now for that matter

Dawg61
10-07-2017, 06:54 PM
How long is Rankin out? We have two weeks before UK

Coach34
10-07-2017, 06:55 PM
I'm hearing a month if at all

Todd4State
10-07-2017, 06:56 PM
ESPN FPI as of last night had us going 9-3. A&M was 51% in favor of MSU.

Dawg61
10-07-2017, 06:59 PM
What happened to Arkansas? They were neck and neck with aTm till the end and just got the doors blown off today by USCe. I had them pegged as about even with Kentucky and aTm till today.

Coach34
10-07-2017, 07:08 PM
What happened to Arkansas? They were neck and neck with aTm till the end and just got the doors blown off today by USCe. I had them pegged as about even with Kentucky and aTm till today.

It's football. It's all about match-ups

RocketDawg
10-07-2017, 07:08 PM
Would be nice if we had A&M scheduled right after they play Alabama. They're putting their all into this game tonight and won't have much left for next week.

Dawg61
10-07-2017, 07:14 PM
It's football. It's all about match-ups

Then I hope we get matched up with today's Arkansas team

Bully13
10-07-2017, 07:17 PM
I'm hoping for a total bamer beatdown of A&M. We could end up being the 4th best team in the SEC if things work out the way they could.

RocketDawg
10-07-2017, 07:21 PM
I'm hoping for a total bamer beatdown of A&M. We could end up being the 4th best team in the SEC if things work out the way they could.

It won't stay close very long. A&M will run out of gas and Saban will just be starting.

Spiderman
10-07-2017, 07:34 PM
Being several notches below AU and GA is no great shame it seems. They are both top ten teams.

A&M.....Who knows? I imagine they'll be favored at home, but we will probably be playing against underdogs in every other non-Bama game.

I'll take it.

A&M and Bama should be our only "sure" losses as of today. I give Ark an edge because it's on the road.

Leroy Jenkins
10-07-2017, 07:34 PM
ESPN FPI as of last night had us going 9-3. A&M was 51% in favor of MSU.

I think we win-out, except bama. FPI had us 56% vs UGA, I wouldn’t reference that in any argument.

Todd4State
10-07-2017, 07:40 PM
I think we win-out, except bama. FPI had us 56% vs UGA, I wouldn’t reference that in any argument.

FPI can certainly change by the week and I'm pretty sure they don't know that there is any chance of Rankin being out for us. It's certainly not an end all be all- and it's really a percentage so there is built in margin for error.

Dawg61
10-07-2017, 07:44 PM
No way aTm is a for sure loss. We beat them last year and their starting QB is out for the year. Mond has not been impressive at all. Their RBs are good but that's it.

Apoplectic
10-07-2017, 07:45 PM
so where does this put us?

bama cfp
ga - peach bowl
aub - cotton bowl
us - outback / citrus
uk (3-4 losses) - outback / citrus
usc (4-5 losses) - who cares
uf (4-5 losses)- sigh

Todd4State
10-07-2017, 07:50 PM
No way aTm is a for sure loss. We beat them last year and their starting QB is out for the year. Mond has not been impressive at all. Their RBs are good but that's it.

One thing that may favor us in that game is A&M is near the bottom in the SEC in passing. But we'll see.

DownwardDawg
10-07-2017, 07:50 PM
A&M and Bama should be our only "sure" losses as of today. I give Ark an edge because it's on the road.

aTm is certainly not a sure loss. They will be tough to beat, but they don't belong in the sure loss column with Bama.

bluelightstar
10-07-2017, 07:51 PM

I'm not sure I see it with Arkansas. They're probably 4-6 at best by the time we go to Arkansas, their defense is not good, and the natives will have fully revolted against Bert.

Todd4State
10-07-2017, 07:51 PM
so where does this put us?

bama cfp
ga - peach bowl
aub - cotton bowl
us - outback / citrus
uk (3-4 losses) - outback / citrus
usc (4-5 losses) - who cares
uf (4-5 losses)- sigh

8 wins may get us a NYD Bowl this year. Maybe not an Orange Bowl- but like a Gator, Citrus, or Outback type bowl. The difficult part of our schedule is over. We should be about to go on a run.

msstate7
10-07-2017, 07:52 PM
Lose to Bama
Split ark and aTm
Win rest

Todd4State
10-07-2017, 07:53 PM
I'm not sure I see it with Arkansas. They're probably 4-6 at best by the time we go to Arkansas, their defense is not good, and the natives will have fully revolted against Bert.

Today honestly surprised me. I'm not sure what the problem is. Coming in to today I would have thought Arkansas would have been 6-4 but I think you are probably correct based on today.

Apoplectic
10-07-2017, 07:54 PM
8 wins may get us a NYD Bowl this year. Maybe not an Orange Bowl- but like a Gator, Citrus, or Outback type bowl. The difficult part of our schedule is over. We should be about to go on a run.

Shirley the citrus would take us over UK since we've never been and will have beaten UK. bowl selection seems to be more fair now with the committee.

raymond21
10-07-2017, 08:17 PM

I'll take it.

We are not beating A&M at College Station, Kentucky is a toss up if we are heathy We will have to beat OM to get #7

Cooterpoot
10-07-2017, 08:24 PM
KY will be hard to win. A&M on the road is probably a loss. Just hard to win there.

AlmostPositive
10-07-2017, 08:26 PM
We are not beating A&M at College Station, Kentucky is a toss up if we are heathy We will have to beat OM to get #7

Have you watched KY play? They were outgained by Eastern Michigan last week. Beat USM by a touchdown earlier. They are not very good at all.

A&M could go either way... they might even beat us soundly at home, but there is no reason to assume they will.

raymond21
10-07-2017, 08:36 PM
Have you watched KY play? They were outgained by Eastern Michigan last week. Beat USM by a touchdown earlier. They are not very good at all.

A&M could go either way... they might even beat us soundly at home, but there is no reason to assume they will.

If we don’t find a passing game, we win 3 more games

Quaoarsking
10-07-2017, 08:37 PM
Kentucky lost to a team that lost to a team that we beat by 30.

I know, I know that that doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I think LSU, Florida, and Kentucky are all on a lower tier than us. I don't see them giving us much trouble in Starkville.

Quaoarsking
10-07-2017, 08:39 PM
If don’t find a passing game, we win 3 more games

It will be a lot easier to pass against non-elite defenses. It looks like Georgia and Auburn are both elite top 10, maybe top 5 teams (and I fully admit I was wrong to think they weren't a month ago).

We passed fine against Louisiana Tech and LSU and we'll pass fine again when we play teams of their caliber.

TrapGame
10-07-2017, 08:41 PM
If don’t find a passing game, we win 3 more games

Are you basing this after facing two outstanding defenses?

raymond21
10-07-2017, 08:50 PM
Are you basing this after facing two outstanding defenses?

I was at Georgia and Auburn. At Georgia we dropped numerous passes, nothing to do with being elite. We also threw to wrong receivers that cost us at least one TD, nothing to do with elite D. Auburn game, our OL was pathetic. There isn’t a SEC team that we would have pass protected against. If Rankin isn’t playing against Kentucky, we will struggle to win. If Couch and Todd are inserted into the lineup more, things may change in our passing game, we will just have to see how and if it works out.

msstate7
10-07-2017, 08:53 PM
I was at Georgia and Auburn. At Georgia we dropped numerous passes, nothing to do with being elite. We also threw to wrong receivers that cost us at least one TD, nothing to do with elite D. Auburn game, our OL was pathetic. There isn’t a SEC team that we would have pass protected against. If Rankin isn’t playing against Kentucky, we will struggle to win. If Couch and Todd are inserted into the lineup more, things may change in our passing game, we will just have to see how and if it works out.

Melt level 9

Todd4State
10-07-2017, 08:55 PM
Shirley the citrus would take us over UK since we've never been and will have beaten UK. bowl selection seems to be more fair now with the committee.

Potentially. I think we would beat Kentucky in terms of fan following as well in football. I would think it would be pretty easy to justify.

Todd4State
10-07-2017, 08:58 PM

My guess looking at their stats is they are probably somewhat lucky. As of now- pending the Mizzou game final- they have not scored more than 27 points in a game and they have given up at least 13 in every game as well. Their decent stats are probably in part a function of their schedule and their opponents thus far.

TrapGame
10-07-2017, 08:58 PM

Looked pretty elite to me. And I'm pretty sure that had something to do with a few dropped passes. I guarantee you we will see a lot less passes dropped vs BYU, UMass, OM, ARK, A&M and UK.

Todd4State
10-07-2017, 09:00 PM

I have a feeling that Couch and Todd getting a lot of reps was just because of the bye week. We'll see. It would surprise me if they got more reps at least.

The fact that our o-line hinges so much on one player says a lot about our lack of recruiting.

Bubb Rubb
10-07-2017, 09:02 PM
I'm hearing a month if at all

Right now the staff expects him back for the Kentucky game. It's an ankle sprain.

Todd4State
10-07-2017, 09:04 PM
Right now the staff expects him back for the Kentucky game. It's an ankle sprain.

Of course the rumor is the ankle sprain that he has is the kind that would result in amputation.*******

Quaoarsking
10-07-2017, 09:05 PM
DBAP if you're really scared that we're going to lose to a team that struggles in home games against teams like Eastern Michigan and Missouri.

bluelightstar
10-07-2017, 09:07 PM
If Aggie plays to their talent, hard to predict a win in College Station.

msstate7
10-07-2017, 09:08 PM
DBAP if you're really scared that we're going to lose to a team that struggles in home games against teams like Eastern Michigan and Missouri.

The refs are helping Kentucky beat mizzou now lol

PI, my butt

TrapGame
10-07-2017, 09:11 PM
If Aggie plays to their talent, hard to predict a win in College Station.

Yep, if the Aggies play like this against us we will lose. But, they are playing juiced outta their minds tonight cause it's Bama.

Spiderman
10-07-2017, 09:12 PM
Melt level 9

Again

Coach34
10-07-2017, 09:12 PM

Depends what member of the staff you talk to I guess. Odd that the staff would be so different on 1 player. We'll see next weekend

Jack Lambert
10-07-2017, 09:13 PM
What? Kentucky will be a 3-4 point game either way. We will have trouble blocking them- or anybody now for that matter

KY hasn't looked good all year. The toughest game they have played is florida and well.

Quaoarsking
10-07-2017, 09:16 PM

Anything's possible, but I'm not scared of a team that almost lost to Eastern Michigan, might lose to Missouri, and did lose to a garbage Florida team (that lost to LSU, a team we beat by 30 while you were on your sabbatical from the forum).

Commercecomet24
10-07-2017, 09:20 PM
Anything's possible, but I'm not scared of a team that almost lost to Eastern Michigan, might lose to Missouri, and did lose to a garbage Florida team (that lost to LSU, a team we beat by 30 while you were on your sabbatical from the forum).

This. If you have watched uk play they aint all that. Hell usm would have beat them if they had any kinda qb. They were on uk side of the field all day and kept shooting themselves in the foot. They had 228 Yds of offense against eastern Michigan. They may lose to a craptastic mizzou team tonight and lost to a uf team that ogre just beat. This aint Bear Bryant?s Kentucky.

Homedawg
10-07-2017, 09:24 PM
Depends what member of the staff you talk to I guess. Odd that the staff would be so different on 1 player. We'll see next weekend

He won't be back next week barring a feeding of the 5000. He might be back the next week. But he hasn't been ruled out for the year by any stretch. We shall see. Ankles are crazy.

msstate7
10-07-2017, 09:27 PM
He won't be back next week barring a feeding of the 5000. He might be back the next week. But he hasn't been ruled out for the year by any stretch. We shall see. Ankles are crazy.

It?d be stupid to play him next week anyway. We can beat BYU without him and we need to play a game without him in case he doesn?t come back

DownwardDawg
10-07-2017, 09:34 PM
Kentucky was never going to be much of a game. We will roll them this year. It won't be close.

BuckyIsAB****
10-07-2017, 09:34 PM

I'll take it.

Kentucky is wretched too. OM is probably as bad as both of them. A&M on the road will be tough but its winable. Never know with them they could bottom out by then

Todd4State
10-07-2017, 09:35 PM
It?d be stupid to play him next week anyway. We can beat BYU without him and we need to play a game without him in case he doesn?t come back

This. Plus Eiland could use the reps anyway.

BuckyIsAB****
10-07-2017, 09:37 PM
State will beat Kentucky by at least 14

Commercecomet24
10-07-2017, 09:39 PM
AM always seems to fall apart every year after the bama game. Let?s see if it happens again.

Saltydog
10-07-2017, 09:42 PM
run by our safeties.........

VandelayIndustries
10-07-2017, 09:43 PM
Kentucky is terrible, that should be a win

msstate7
10-07-2017, 09:45 PM
AM always seems to fall apart every year after the bama game. Let?s see if it happens again.

I could see it going the other way this year. aTm was pretty impressive. Let?s see how they respond next week in the swamp.

Really hate Kentucky and aTm catch us after their bye.

Quaoarsking
10-07-2017, 09:48 PM

This. The only reason I think we might beat A&M is because they collapse every year late. Otherwise, we're looking at 8-4 with 0 close games either way.

msstate7
10-07-2017, 09:49 PM
Kentucky having to fake punts to try and beat mizzou lol

Commercecomet24
10-07-2017, 09:51 PM
This. The only reason I think we might beat A&M is because they collapse every year late. Otherwise, we're looking at 8-4 with 0 close games either way.

Spot on, Q!

Commercecomet24
10-07-2017, 09:52 PM
Kentucky having to fake punts to try and beat mizzou lol

Thats the definition of desperation

msstate7
10-07-2017, 10:14 PM
Kentucky will win, but I just don?t see why half this board is scared of them. Mizzou is f?n horrible and had a chance to win this game

Jack Lambert
10-07-2017, 10:23 PM
Kentucky will win, but I just don?t see why half this board is scared of them. Mizzou is f?n horrible and had a chance to win this game

I think they have a bye week and then go on the road to MSU. Most of the time coming out of a bye you play flat and add going on the road. They are not that good. Hell after GA the East is not that good. I am not worried. I am worried about our bye week but BYU as looked terrible.

Quaoarsking
10-07-2017, 10:23 PM

Missouri driving, down 6 with 1:30 to go.

msstate7
10-07-2017, 10:25 PM
Missouri driving, down 6 with 1:30 to go.

I thought KY would score the td

msstate7
10-07-2017, 10:28 PM
Those refs straight up screwed mizzou there. Look at the official screwing around

BuckyIsAB****
Im not scared of A&M or UK, we are just flat better than UK, BYU, Arkansas, OM, and Umass

Quaoarsking
The referee just fumbled the ball trying to get it back for Mizzou to snap again and cost like 15 seconds...

msstate7
10-07-2017, 10:29 PM
The referee just fumbled the ball trying to get it back for Mizzou to snap again and cost like 15 seconds...

And then casually walked fast after it. That was BS

Quaoarsking
10-07-2017, 10:30 PM
I mean, that's one of the lamest endings I've ever seen.

Oh well. Kentucky is garbage and we're going to beat them by at least 14, probably more.

msstate7
We will blast Kentucky

DownwardDawg
Sec officials..........
I'm speechless.

Jack Lambert
10-07-2017, 10:32 PM
Sec officials..........
I'm speechless.

My gosh that was horrible. I watched all the SEC games and I did not see the crew that called ours last week. I guess they got a week off.

bluelightstar
10-07-2017, 10:34 PM
Sec officials..........
I'm speechless.

The way the official took his time getting the ball spotted in that situation was criminal.

BuckyIsAB****
10-07-2017, 10:35 PM
Officiating was garbage all across the country this weekend. Has to improve

TUSK
10-07-2017, 10:37 PM
my thoughts.... 7-8.... just a guess.

vs BYU - WIN
vs UK - FAV
@ TA&M - DOG
vs UMASS - WIN
vs 1 ALA - LOSS
@ ARK - TOSS UP
vs MISS - WIN

Jack Lambert
10-07-2017, 10:40 PM

vs BYU - WIN
vs UK - FAV
@ TA&M - DOG
vs UMASS - WIN
vs 1 ALA - LOSS
@ ARK - TOSS UP
vs MISS - WIN

If that was Bama rather then Mizzu would the Ref have run as fast as he could to get the ball?

Tripp McNeely
10-07-2017, 10:40 PM

vs BYU - WIN
vs UK - FAV
@ TA&M - DOG
vs UMASS - WIN
vs 1 ALA - LOSS
@ ARK - TOSS UP
vs MISS - WIN

How in the hey do you list Arky as a "toss up"???

msstate7
10-07-2017, 10:42 PM
If that was Bama rather then Mizzu would the Ref have run as fast as he could to get the ball?

Would?ve blown the whistle to review the play before... let em get set

BuckyIsAB****
10-07-2017, 10:42 PM
Would?ve blown the whistle to review the play before... let em get set

Wouldve called a penalty on UK to stop clock

TUSK
10-07-2017, 10:50 PM
How in the hey do you list Arky as a "toss up"???

on the road... and they gonna run it 1 million x....

Tripp McNeely
10-07-2017, 11:01 PM

No bro/cat/etc...just no. They couldn't run on USEC's Kleenex defense. You're better than that homeslice

Quaoarsking
10-07-2017, 11:05 PM

Arkansas hasn't really been a ground-and-pound team in awhile. In Bret's tenure at Arkansas, these are the P/R breakdown by yardage:
2013: 41.6% passing
2014: 46.3% passing
2015: 57.6% passing
2016: 61.7% passing

TUSK
10-07-2017, 11:05 PM
No bro/cat/etc...just no. They couldn't run on USEC's Kleenex defense. You're better than that homeslice

I'll give ya MSU @ Arkie straight up....

Tripp McNeely
10-07-2017, 11:09 PM

Finskie?

TUSK
10-07-2017, 11:12 PM
Finskie?

Ya gonna have to educate me, buddy.... I'm oblivious...

DownwardDawg
10-07-2017, 11:36 PM

If they run it a million times, we will win easily. I hope that's their game plan buni doubt it.

Bothrops
10-08-2017, 01:47 AM
If we lose to Arkansas, we suck, period.

TUSK
10-08-2017, 02:27 AM
If they run it a million times, it's because they can (or Austin's arm got fatigued).

FIFY

PassInterference
10-08-2017, 05:38 AM
The OL is Mullen?s achelies heel. We lose one above average guy and the whole OL is dead? That may be true and it speaks for Hev. If Mullen can?t see that Hev is a big problem, and it?s clear that Mullen doesn?t see it, then Mullen is a terrible CEO.

raymond21
10-08-2017, 07:52 AM
The OL is Mullen?s achelies heel. We lose one above average guy and the whole OL is dead? That may be true and it speaks for Hev. If Mullen can?t see that Hev is a big problem, and it?s clear that Mullen doesn?t see it, then Mullen is a terrible CEO.

Exactly why we will struggle with conference games. Love the optimism of some but we aren?t good enough to overcome losing an OL on a very mediocre position group.

msstate7
10-08-2017, 07:56 AM
Exactly why we will struggle with conference games. Love the optimism of some but we aren?t good enough to overcome losing an OL on a very mediocre position group.

You say we only win 3 more games. I?ll take the over... lets bet $100. Loser pays the $100 to ED or permanent ban. Bet?

raymond21
10-08-2017, 08:03 AM
You say we only win 3 more games. I?ll take the over... lets bet $100. Loser pays the $100 to ED or permanent ban. Bet?

Not with OM left to on the schedule, I expect them to go through motions by then

Todd4State
10-08-2017, 08:05 AM

It's really odd to me how some MSU people seem to be trying to protect Hevesy. Not anyone here in particular. I've seen stuff like "Hevesy isn't the main problem" and crap like that. Yet as you say IF it is true that our o-line and offense fall apart because one guy goes down it speaks volumes about his recruiting or lack thereof.

As long as nothing is done about it nothing will change.

msstate7
10-08-2017, 08:11 AM
Not with OM left to on the schedule, I expect them to go through motions by then

Which is one of the reasons the 3 more wins comment is ridiculous.

We?ll lose to Bama
Split aTm/ark
Win the rest

8-4

msstate7
10-08-2017, 08:14 AM
It's really odd to me how some MSU people seem to be trying to protect Hevesy. Not anyone here in particular. I've seen stuff like "Hevesy isn't the main problem" and crap like that. Yet as you say IF it is true that our o-line and offense fall apart because one guy goes down it speaks volumes about his recruiting or lack thereof.

As long as nothing is done about it nothing will change.

Our safety play last season and this year makes our oline look like an nfl position group. Well, that?s an exaggeration, but you get the point. If an offense runs PA or misdirection, we bite 7 out of 10 times

Todd4State
10-08-2017, 08:18 AM
Our safety play last season and this year makes our oline look like an nfl position group. Well, that?s an exaggeration, but you get the point. If an offense runs PA or misdirection, we bite 7 out of 10 times

No one is saying there aren't other problems. But the difference is we changed safeties coaches this year rather than having the same guy for nine years and the same issues.

Or WR where we have issues but we also have a group of highly rated recruits coming with size so the issue appears to be addressed for the future.

Bully13
10-08-2017, 08:20 AM

careful Tusk, remember you are a visitor here, a welcomed one I might add as well. but you have to be nice.

LOL

confucius say
10-08-2017, 08:54 AM

Barring injuries, we will beat ky by at least 10. Prob more like 17. I hope that line is only 3-4 points.

Tripp McNeely
10-08-2017, 09:05 AM
Ya gonna have to educate me, buddy.... I'm oblivious...

"Finskie(sp)" = $5...but on second thought, keep your dirty Bammer dollars...when we beat Arky, for the next 4 consecutive days (Sunday through Wednesday), you will start a thread titled "Tripp McNeely is my hero". The body of the message will say 1. "My name is Tusk, and I am terrible at Prognostication" and 2. "My two favorite bands are the Eagles and Nickleback"

State your terms

Maroonthirteen
10-08-2017, 09:09 AM

vs BYU - WIN
vs UK - FAV
@ TA&M - DOG
vs UMASS - WIN
vs 1 ALA - LOSS
@ ARK - TOSS UP
vs MISS - WIN

I agree. Except I switch Ark and OM.

Ark oline is terrible. We will get to Allen. Thus protecting our secondary.

OMs passing game vs our secondary is not a good match up for us. If we can average 3 yards a run, we better not throw a pass that game. Run run run and keep their offense and our defense off the field.

With that said, thanksgiving is over a month away. Injuries always play a part in this game.

Todd4State
10-08-2017, 09:22 AM
I agree. Except I switch Ark and OM.

Ark oline is terrible. We will get to Allen. Thus protecting our secondary.

OMs passing game vs our secondary is not a good match up for us. If we can average 3 yards a run, we better not throw a pass that game. Run run run and keep their offense and our defense off the field.

With that said, thanksgiving is over a month away. Injuries always play a part in this game.

Currently we are third in the SEC in pass defense.

TUSK
10-08-2017, 11:41 AM
"Finskie(sp)" = $5...but on second thought, keep your dirty Bammer dollars...when we beat Arky, for the next 4 consecutive days (Sunday through Wednesday), you will start a thread titled "Tripp McNeely is my hero". The body of the message will say 1. "My name is Tusk, and I am terrible at Prognostication" and 2. "My two favorite bands are the Eagles and Nickleback"

State your terms

I love it!!!!! Your on and if you win, I will make you proud...

Maroonthirteen
10-08-2017, 06:43 PM
Currently we are third in the SEC in pass defense.

I don't care what the stats say at the moment. LSU had one Wide open passing TD called back. Another wide Open LSU wr dropped a probable TD pass. UGA and Auburn had guys running open without a DB within 5 yards. OM has some talent at Wr. Maybe we get our stuff together by the Egg bowl but if we don't.....

msstate7
10-08-2017, 06:48 PM
I don't care what the stats say at the moment. LSU had one Wide open passing TD called back. Another wide Open LSU wr dropped a probable TD pass. UGA and Auburn had guys running open without a DB within 5 yards. OM has some talent at Wr. Maybe we get our stuff together by the Egg bowl but if we don't.....

What does that tell you about the teams behind us in that stat then?

Todd4State
10-08-2017, 07:00 PM

It was called back because they did something illegal. Could have's don't count- just like Dak's almost interceptions. Especially if we're getting pressure up front. Looking at the stats we're probably a little bit better than we are giving ourselves credit for. Our offense has faced three of the top four defenses in the SEC. I think part of the defense's problem is they are on the field too much because we aren't mounting sustained drives very often. If and when our offense starts rolling again- our defense will be that much better.

The stats are telling me we are missing Cory Thomas a lot. I think that will help improve our run defense stats and also by getting more pressure on the QB it will help our pass defense stats and hopefully help us create more turnovers- something we aren't doing enough of on defense.

Our passing offense is almost last in the league- but we're third in rushing offense even after facing some of the best defenses in the league and we're sixth in scoring offense- only four points behind second place at the moment and that should improve a little bit.

We have no reason to worry about Ole Miss. Especially at the moment. We will be at home and while they may connect on some long pass plays, I doubt they will be able to stop our rushing attack. And Dan showed last year he has no problem just handing the ball off in that game. Plus we will be in Starkville. For all the gimmickry of the Ole Miss offense- we're ahead of them in points per game at the moment. And we've played our back-ups in every game thus far. We could have hung 70 on Charleston Southern with Nick and probably could have added a few garbage scores here and there but we chose wisely not to. Our defense is good enough to stop them enough plus we should (and probably will) limit their possessions by running the ball to control the clock and tempo of the game. I suspect we'll see the La Tech scheme against them defensively where we played a lot of three safety packages.

confucius say
10-08-2017, 07:05 PM

Our primary focus in all three sec games has been the stopping the run. It won't be against Mississippi.

Our safeties won't be flying down hill on play action against Mississippi.

Todd4State
10-08-2017, 07:10 PM
What does that tell you about the teams behind us in that stat then?

Exactly. Oh and that Cal-Berkley team that held Ole Miss to 16 points checks in at 109th nationally in pass defense. Auburn and Alabama are 6th and 7th in the SEC respectively and top 25 nationally in pass defense. We're currently 9th. The only teams that they have lit up are South Alabama- 119th in pass defense- and UT-Martin (FCS team that they struggled with at times).

Ole Miss is number one in the league in passing. But it's a function of their offense- they have over 12 more attempts than the second place team in the league despite having played one less game than the second place team. It's like Georgia Tech or Navy leading the country in rushing every year. Ole Miss averages 40 pass attempts per game- Mizzou the second place team and also a pass heavy offense averages 35 attempts per game.